Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

We might actually get a good quality/bitrate stream with Netflix though. That is one of the big downsides of ESPN, their shitty 720p.

Yeah as long as they just keep showing the Sky feed, then I'd be down for that.

200.gif

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wood said:

Yeah as long as they just keep showing the Sky feed, then cool.

Anyone just passing through the Sky feed without ads, would be AOK.

Back when Mother's first started supporting the broadcast commercial-free, I actually "liked" them on social media, and I never do that shit.  I even made a positive comment thanking them for providing that support, and they responded thanking me too.

To be honest I feel like we had a moment.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, NoName said:

Danny Rick, Yuki, Alonso and Gasly all may be changing seats next year.

He has 30 points and is 10 behind Bottas in a fucking Alfa. Obviously things are different in 2022 - but last year, Alfa had 13 TOTAL points all year long.

he is at the back of what is a large drop off between the top group of drivers and everyone else. he has the same length contract as the guys highlighted and a 1 year shorter deal than Norris (who is 22, 3 years younger than him)

image.thumb.png.9426b9c89171d7e543819af16c0685fc.png

His contract is too long for a guy who has proven to be solid and has not shown any flashes of brilliance to make you think he is a either a future world champion or even a very good 2nd driver for a WCC contending team...and he has driven for basically 5 full seasons in f1 at this point.

2 podiums in 5 full seasons and finishing in the bottom half of the grid in points every year outside of 2017 typically doesn't end up with someone having a contract of that length.

If he was Italian or British or German, who here thinks he ends up with that long of a deal?

Last year he was basically even with Alonso, who had not driven in an F1 race since 2018 - Alonso is obviously really damn good, but still.

2021 quali was super close (11/11, with a gap of 0.005% in favor of Alonso) but race pace was a different story. 12/5 in favor of Alonso, and after the first 5 races it was 12/2 in favor of Alonso

image.png.03dd5883567527aa4f6b983635018b1f.png

does this sound like a guy who your team wants to lock in for the same amount of time as Leclerc is locked in to FER? or Perez is locked into RBR?

From some of the F1 guys I follow it seems the “out clause” at Mclaren in regards to Ricciardo is on the driver’s terms and not team discretion. So if Danny’s out it’s up to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

From some of the F1 guys I follow it seems the “out clause” at Mclaren in regards to Ricciardo is on the driver’s terms and not team discretion. So if Danny’s out it’s up to him. 

I wonder if Aston could be interested in Danny if Vettel retires. He'd fit the bill of high profile driver who's over the top that Stroll could potentially beat and would bring marketing appeal with him. Similar to Schumacher but a much more prestigious #2 driver for Lance.

Danny's fascinating, though. He could have success doing a million things, driving Indycar or Nascar, covering F1 for ESPN, or something in TV that's not even F1 related. The guy has the star quality to be really successful at a ton of different things. Having said all that, I don't think he's ready to give up on F1 this quickly. His pride will likely lead him to at least one more stint with another team. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Danny's fascinating, though. He could have success doing a million things, driving Indycar or Nascar, covering F1 for ESPN, or something in TV that's not even F1 related. The guy has the star quality to be really successful at a ton of different things. Having said all that, I don't think he's ready to give up on F1 this quickly. His pride will likely lead him to at least one more stint with another team. 

agreed on this point. i would think AM could be a nice compromise if they offer him say an additional year on his contract at the current salary...assuming he wants to move on.

i can't wait to see what he does next honestly, dude oozes charisma.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yep, Zak Brown came out and said the other day that "It's up to Danny".

16 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, Zak Brown came out and said the other day that "It's up to Danny".

I guess that explains why Zak is making public comments about DR's performance. Trying to make him choose to leave. I wonder if McLaren will pull a 2020 Ferrari and just forget to be out there for his pit stop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess that explains why Zak is making public comments about DR's performance. Trying to make him choose to leave. I wonder if McLaren will pull a 2020 Ferrari and just forget to be out there for his pit stop. 

Eh...I think he's just trying to light a fire under his ass. Zak Brown wants Danny to succeed at McLaren as much as anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

@utee94 is a closet McLaren fan. I have proof. 

Ha!  I do have a McLaren team shirt, but I got it because I'm a big company-man and we're their current technology partner :)

(Also, it's a pretty sweet shirt...)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

SIAP, I haven't seen it on this thread yet--

Apple is making an F1 movie, starring Brad Pitt, with Lewis Hamilton engaged in the production, and Top Gun Maverick director Joseph Kozinski as the director.   I'm not sure what to think about all of that...

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12630551/lewis-hamilton-and-brad-pitt-set-to-link-up-for-new-hollywood-formula-one-film#:~:text=Lewis Hamilton and Brad Pitt look set to come together,Hamilton involved as a producer.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Verizon is telling us our cell plans are good as-is in Canada.  Anyone with experience can verify?  I don't want to come home to hundreds of dollars in extra charges.

We're on Verizon & it has worked great for us in Mexico City and Isla Mujeres/Akumal/Tulum. No extra charges. Sometimes lack of coverage put us in roaming, but only when were out in BFE.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

We're on Verizon & it has worked great for us in Mexico City and Isla Mujeres/Akumal/Tulum. No extra charges. Sometimes lack of coverage put us in roaming, but only when were out in BFE.

What about data?  I plan on streaming F1TV at the race (if I can).

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

What about data?  I plan on streaming F1TV at the race (if I can).

I can't promise it will be 100% reliable, but we had pretty good luck doing whatever we wanted on our phones, and that was in Mexico. I'm sure in Montreal the coverage will be great - except who knows how it'll be when there are 150K people on one little island.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, wood said:

I can't promise it will be 100% reliable, but we had pretty good luck doing whatever we wanted on our phones, and that was in Mexico. I'm sure in Montreal the coverage will be great - except who knows how it'll be when there are 150K people on one little island.

Yeah, the 'if I can' part referred to the mass of people more than anything else.  Trying to use my phone at Broncos games is an exercise in futility.

• Hook 'Em 1

i was literally across from a portable cell tower at imola and data was spotty at best using either tmobile's roaming or an italian eSIM (so, sometimes vodafone, sometimes others).  just too many devices in the area.  maybe mm band 5g, which is designed for shit tons of devices, would work better, but no idea if they'll bring those kinds of portable towers with them. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i was literally across from a portable cell tower at imola and data was spotty at best using either tmobile's roaming or an italian eSIM (so, sometimes vodafone, sometimes others).  just too many devices in the area.  maybe mm band 5g, which is designed for shit tons of devices, would work better, but no idea if they'll bring those kinds of portable towers with them. 
My neighbor used to work at Verizon. He had something in his phone that would give him priority on cell towers even in places like that. He could be in the middle of Indy on Memorial Day and he could make a call.

Verizon is telling us our cell plans are good as-is in Canada.  Anyone with experience can verify?  I don't want to come home to hundreds of dollars in extra charges.

Verizon int’l plans suck. They charge the same $10/day as others but they throttle data after so much usage per day.

It’s one of the few areas where At&t’s unlimited int’l data plans are vastly superior.

Canada might be different, however. Maybe it’s the same as the states.

Verizon int’l plans suck. They charge the same $10/day as others but they throttle data after so much usage per day.

It’s one of the few areas where At&t’s unlimited int’l data plans are vastly superior.

VZ says it's the same as our US plan. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

VZ says it's the same as our US plan. We'll see.

That would be ideal, obviously.  I know in Europe they throttle after like 1.5gb per day (24 hours) or something relatively low if you are streaming.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, elfenix said:

My neighbor used to work at Verizon. He had something in his phone that would give him priority on cell towers even in places like that. He could be in the middle of Indy on Memorial Day and he could make a call.

AT&T has something similar called FirstNet for first responders.  The devices have to have a special SIM card for it because it’s on a separate band.  They got a huge contract from the federal government to roll it out nationwide.

Edited by kevwun

For yall heading to Canada... 

1. It's going to be 129 degrees here in Austin. Can't wait for 68 and rainy.

2. No more Covid test needed to fly home. Of course it was announced on the day that our proctored at-home tests arrived. Also, big thanks to UPS for putting them in the middle of the walkway in direct sun instead of at the covered front door literally five feet farther.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For yall heading to Canada... 

1. It's going to be 129 degrees here in Austin. Can't wait for 68 and rainy.

2. No more Covid test needed to fly home. Of course it was announced on the day that our proctored at-home tests arrived. Also, big thanks to UPS for putting them in the middle of the walkway in direct sun instead of at the covered front door literally five feet farther.

On Saturday in 2015 the wind coming off the seaway made the temperature such that I needed to buy a jacket. Still my favorite jacket. It felt like low 50s, maybe colder. 

Ferrari were about 10 kph slower on the main straight in FP1, and then they put a lower DF rear wing on for FP2 and were only down by about 2 kph. Hopefully they can figure out their tyre wear with the new wing, because they will get killed if they use the higher DF rear wing. RB and Ferrari look to be miles ahead of the rest of the field. They're extremely close in quali and race pace.  It will likely come down to strategy/who benefits from a safety car or red flag. 

Ferrari and Merc were porpoising like crazy on the straight. All the progress Merc made in Spain isn't showing up in Baku. It seems like rather than figuring out porpoising, Merc may just be very track specific. 

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Ferrari strategists

My pretty boy looking not so pretty right now...molting is rough! But he's  a trooper! : r/budgies

Ferrari fans

Tumblr

Pretty much. Between the engine failure in Spain and the Monaca dumbfuckery, Charles lost 48 points to Max.  He should be in the lead by almost 40 points still. They will have to develop like crazy in order to have enough of a buffer to overcome all their terrible strategy decisions.