Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Went to a bachelor party there in 2017. Had a good time at a dumpy place called Club Wanda's. Walked by over the weekend and I was happy to see it was still in business. Thought about talking my gf into going in, but not her kinda thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oy.

Spa-Francorchamps Officials Prepared to Go the 'American Way' in Effort to Keep F1 Race

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a40391472/spa-francorchamps-officials-prepared-to-go-the-american-way-in-effort-to-keep-f1-race/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=062322&utm_campaign=nl28152669&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

"It is true that there was a request from F1 to introduce a greater component of entertainment," de Boever, is quoted by Italy's Autosprint. "They said that history is something great but we need more. We decided to listen to them and follow them in the new way of offering Formula events.

"This American way, with all of the entertainment that this entails."

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

We fuck everything up nowadays.

Yeah we can't have nice things.

F1 trying to be everthing to everyone. I guess good racing isn't enough to hold the average person's attention these days.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

saw jackie trending on twitter and was afraid he'd passed.  no, just wrote a column that lewis should retire instead of sullying his record in the 3rd best car on the grid. 

Could’ve been worse. Nelson Piquet called Lewis a Portuguese pejorative that translates to “little blackie” in an interview today. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

ESPN / Disney is keeping F1 for three more years.

Might not be perfect (especially cutting from the post-race coverage to another airing of SportsCenter), but I’d definitely rather have ESPN/Sky simulcast over a streaming service or NBC. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yep, the only drawback I see is a few of the races being put exclusively on ESPN+. I have it through Verizon, so it wouldn't affect me too much as long as the app is working right that day, which is far from a sure thing. But limiting the audience that way seems to go against the idea of trying to grow the sport here. Maybe that won't be in the final deal that gets signed. About 84M people get ESPN. About 22M have ESPN+.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep, the only drawback I see is a few of the races being put exclusively on ESPN+. I have it through Verizon, so it wouldn't affect me too much as long as the app is working right that day, which is far from a sure thing. But limiting the audience that way seems to go against the idea of trying to grow the sport here. Maybe that won't be in the final deal that gets signed. About 84M people get ESPN. About 22M have ESPN+.

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Hopefully not, but I guess it’s to be expected. One of the reasons I did not want NBC to get F1 is they’d just park like 50% of the races, including a chunk of the marquee ones, on Peacock just they do with EPL, and they don’t have enough channels to properly air both after killing NBCSports. I say that as someone who gets Peacock (I love EPL and the wife watches enough stuff to justify the cost), but it would have sucked for F1 in general.

Sadly $$$ always trumps “growing the sport.” Look at MLS, which is experiencing rapid growth and having ESPN broadcast matches no doubt helps. Moving to Apple TV+ will probably cut their viewership by 95%, but they nearly doubled their broadcast revenue so don’t care got paid. 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Hopefully not, but I guess it’s to be expected. One of the reasons I did not want NBC to get F1 is they’d just park like 50% of the races, including a chunk of the marquee ones, on Peacock just they do with EPL, and they don’t have enough channels to properly air both after killing NBCSports. I say that as someone who gets Peacock (I love EPL and the wife watches enough stuff to justify the cost), but it would have sucked for F1 in general.

Sadly $$$ always trumps “growing the sport.” Look at MLS, which is experiencing rapid growth and having ESPN broadcast matches no doubt helps. Moving to Apple TV+ will probably cut their viewership by 95%, but they nearly doubled their broadcast revenue so don’t care got paid. 

Yep, but re: that last bit, F1 runs on sponsor money and its viability is heavily tied to reaching as many people as possible. More reach = more sponsors = more money. That's what I meant when I said 'growing the sport'. What I should have said is 'growing the audience/market'. That seems to be their stated goal, so imho going ESPN+ is counterproductive. But who knows what will actually happen in the end...

Since F4 is in the American subtiers for F1, and is open wheels, I'll put this here rather than Indycar or Sportscar threads.

As I've mentioned before, a close family friend of mine races in F4, and they had their first race of three at mid-Ohio today.  His name is Ryan Sheehan, he races for Crosslink Kiwi in the #66 car.

He had a good qualifying session yesterday and started today's race at P4.  He finished P2 and if not for an unfortunate caution that ended the race under yellow, I really think he had a great chance at challenging for the win.  He was closing by .2 seconds per lap over the last 2-3 laps and was under 1 second down when the final full course caution hit.

Still, finishing on the podium in P2 out of 22 is pretty good, and the other good news is that there are two races tomorrow and the starting grid for the first one is set by lap times in today's race, and Ryan had the second best lap time so he'll start P2 in the first race tomorrow.

Anyway, just wanted to share that, we're very excited for him and his family.  They've put an incredible amount of time and effort into supporting his racing.  It's nice to see some decent results for them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

Since F4 is in the American subtiers for F1, and is open wheels, I'll put this here rather than Indycar or Sportscar threads.

As I've mentioned before, a close family friend of mine races in F4, and they had their first race of three at mid-Ohio today.  His name is Ryan Sheehan, he races for Crosslink Kiwi in the #66 car.

He had a good qualifying session yesterday and started today's race at P4.  He finished P2 and if not for an unfortunate caution that ended the race under yellow, I really think he had a great chance at challenging for the win.  He was closing by .2 seconds per lap over the last 2-3 laps and was under 1 second down when the final full course caution hit.

Still, finishing on the podium in P2 out of 22 is pretty good, and the other good news is that there are two races tomorrow and the starting grid for the first one is set by lap times in today's race, and Ryan had the second best lap time so he'll start P2 in the first race tomorrow.

Anyway, just wanted to share that, we're very excited for him and his family.  They've put an incredible amount of time and effort into supporting his racing.  It's nice to see some decent results for them.

Tell him good luck, we are all counting on him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Tell him good luck, we are all counting on him.

Thanks.  He had a rough day in their first race today.  He started P2 and was racing really aggressively with the car in P1, and I think they touched.  They both dropped to the back of the pack with mechanical issues and he only managed to get back up to P15 I think.  He did manage to get some fast laps in at the end, so his starting position for the third and final race this afternoon should be pretty good, P5 I think.

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

When he gets to F1, will he get Surly pitlane passes?

Sure why not! 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, utee94 said:

Thanks.  He had a rough day in their first race today.  He started P2 and was racing really aggressively with the car in P1, and I think they touched.  They both dropped to the back of the pack with mechanical issues and he only managed to get back up to P15 I think.  He did manage to get some fast laps in at the end, so his starting position for the third and final race this afternoon should be pretty good, P5 I think.

Just to finish off the weekend's news, he started P5 and finished at P3.  So that's two podiums in 3 races at mid Ohio.  Not bad for a 16 year old kid from Austin, Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i am by no means a Mercedes fan.  at all.  but, i would not be mad if George Russell got his first win at Silverstone this week.

if you thought British F1 fans were unbearable before...imagine them if GR gets a win at his home race.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i am by no means a Mercedes fan.  at all.  but, i would not be mad if George Russell got his first win at Silverstone this week.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

if you thought British F1 fans were unbearable before...imagine them if GR gets a win at his home race.

Seriously. Russell winning is the last thing I want. The British media bias is already obnoxious. 

It will be fascinating to see Merc’s pace though. They’ve clearly figured some stuff out and have a competitive car when they don’t bounce. 

I think I saw that they’re bringing upgrades at Silverstone now that they think they’ve figured their car out. 

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Silverstone week!!

I'm an Austria man myself. Favorite track and favorite location. So simple, yet flowing. Always green and lush. Excited about the weekend after.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm an Austria man myself. Favorite track and favorite location. So simple, yet flowing. Always green and lush. Excited about the weekend after.

I like Austria and a lot of other tracks better than Silverstone, esp in the latest layout of it.

• Like 1