Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

4 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Why is McLaren always doing weird shit? Stop doing weird shit, McLaren. 

They can start by redoing the clown car livery. Expect it to have one of those "honka honka" bicycle horns.

It’s hot as balls in France this week. It’s not going to be pleasant at or on the track. 

Serious question…any of you ever attend Paul Ricard?

Thoughts? We’re going over next July and I’ve mostly talked myself out of attempting Austria. Thinking about a few days on the Riviera and going to PC for the race weekend.

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Mercedes is supposed to be bringing an upgrade for their power unit soon. 

Question: Are these upgrades immediately available to customer teams?

Will Mercedes take penalties for the upgrade like the would for replacing a broken engine or electrical system component?

Every team is bringing PU upgrades after summer break because the ERS part of the PU freezes in early September. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone actually gets faster from it or if all the teams improve their ERS about the same. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 7/19/2022 at 10:15 PM, McCroskey said:

Serious question…any of you ever attend Paul Ricard?
Thoughts? We’re going over next July and I’ve mostly talked myself out of attempting Austria. Thinking about a few days on the Riviera and going to PC for the race weekend.

I've never been to a race at Paul Ricard.  I will say that I like it so little on television that I'd never bother seeing a race there.

Monte Carlo?  For sure.

But when I'm in the South of France there's probably about a million places I'd rather spend my time, than watching a race at that track.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've never been to a race at Paul Ricard.  I will say that I like it so little on television that I'd never bother seeing a race there.

Monte Carlo?  For sure.

But when I'm in the South of France there's probably about a million places I'd rather spend my time, than watching a race at that track.

That's more or less where I'm at.  Did Monte Carlo this past May and will wait until 2024 to do that again.  I'll probably just forgo F1 on this trip, as you said plenty of other stuff to do if the race experiences aren't going to be worth it.

It was only FP1, but Merc being almost a second back was a little surprising considering people think they’ll be very competitive here. 

I was also a little surprised to see Ferrari finish first. Binotto said Ferrari is running super low engine modes in practice because they need their practice engines to last all year since they’ve had so many blowouts. 

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sainz is taking a 10 place grid penalty for getting new control electronics because of his car exploding 2 weeks ago.

He also hinted there will be another penalty coming for another upgrade - he's likely starting from back of the pack.

4 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

FP1 is data gathering for updates usually. FP2 times should be more representative. 

Yes and no. You can’t rely on lap times, but you can tell differences from telemetry. There were some good telemetry posts on Reddit showing Ferrari running a low engine mode so they lost time on the straights, but we’re quicker than RB in just about every corner and that carried over to FP2.

The real question for Ferrari will be tyre deg. They had some in FP2 and tend to struggle with it on front limited tracks like this one. 

Unless Merc was really sandbagging in FP1 and FP2, it looks like this will be a Max v Charles battle. The only way I can see Merc with a shot is if both Ferrari and RB have a ton of tyre deg. 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The race here last year was pretty good right?

I think it's my least favorite track. The weird striping outside the circuit is hard on the eyes.

Yeah, it actually has one of the highest numbers of overtakes of any circuit, but the track and runoff area is so hard to discern on TV it makes it a bad watch. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, it actually has one of the highest numbers of overtakes of any circuit, but the track and runoff area is so hard to discern on TV it makes it a bad watch. 

long straight + big drs zone + chicane = overtakes, even with cars from the prior era that would overheat in all the hot air billowing off the car in front. 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Sainz would have had a great shot at pole if not for the penalties.

Yeah he's driving so well.  Last race's meltdown was just catastrophic for him, killed his race two weeks ago and killed his starting position on this one.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah he's driving so well.  Last race's meltdown was just catastrophic for him, killed his race two weeks ago and killed his starting position on this one.

Same for Leclerc in Spain and Baku. The engine blowouts are absolutely killing Ferrari. Leclerc’s lost between 56 and 70 points to Verstappen from his two blowouts. 

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They showed a graphic for Sainz today and he's at or over the limit of pretty much every component and there's still half the season to go.

Same for Leclerc. Ferrari’s plan is to try to stretch these engines until around COTA and then take one more grid penalty for each, but that will require good reliability, which is a long shot. Very possible both drivers have 2 more grid penalties coming. 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

And that plan can be wiped out by one accident.  I feel bad for them because they're gonna get screwed repeatedly because of this.

Yeah. It’s also weird to me that the 3 engine requirement originated when there were about 25% less races on the calendar. Seems like adding a 4th engine before penalties would be reasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. It’s also weird to me that the 3 engine requirement originated when there were about 25% less races on the calendar. Seems like adding a 4th engine before penalties would be reasonable. 

Good point.  Make it so!

I didn’t get into F1 until after Nico Rosberg retired. A brief look at his Wiki page reveals an interesting guy. Smart as hell. Movie star looks.  Retired on top and now living the good life in Monaco, running an ice cream shop. What kind of driver was he?

On 7/22/2022 at 5:56 AM, 52-80 said:

July racing in Austria and Hungary were a fucking cauldron.  Never again.  Most interesting (late) summer race for me is Belgium where's there's possibility of rain...and probability of tons of beer

Spa is an awesome track, more elevation changes than it shows on tv...just  a gas to drive. You'll love it.