Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Aw Lewis’ sippy cup broke

Minor flaws like engines blowing up, throttles getting stuck, and strategy screwing him out of two wins? Those minor flaws? 

No stuck throttle today. Just a mistake. He said so himself.

But yeah the exploding cars haven’t helped.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Minor flaws like engines blowing up, throttles getting stuck, and strategy screwing him out of two wins? Those minor flaws? 

Oh, for sure. Ferrari has given him (and Sainz) raw deals every other week it seems. But they've also given him a really fast car, and if Ferrari fans say that they aren't holding their breath waiting for him to spin out on his own, they're lying.

• Like 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

Oh, for sure. Ferrari has given him (and Sainz) raw deals every other week it seems. But they've also given him a really fast car, and if Ferrari fans say that they aren't holding their breath waiting for him to spin out on his own, they're lying.

IIRC you were one of the posters trying to say Sainz was better after last year because he got extremely lucky in scoring more points. 

And I’m a Ferrari fan and I wasn’t doing that at all. I hold my breath about an engine blowing out or an idiotic pit strategy. Those kinds of mistakes have cost Leclerc about 80 points this year, which is way more than his mistakes have cost the team. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

IIRC you were one of the posters trying to say Sainz was better after last year because he got extremely lucky in scoring more points. 

And I’m a Ferrari fan and I wasn’t doing that at all. I hold my breath about an engine blowing out or an idiotic pit strategy. Those kinds of mistakes have cost Leclerc about 80 points this year, which is way more than his mistakes have cost the team. 

Not me. 

Leclerc is obviously talented. Apologies if my clunky wording on my earlier post sounded like I was saying he wasn't. I just trust him less under pressure than most of the other guys in the top seats.

You're correct though: even if he had been absolutely perfect individually all season, he'd still probably be in 2nd because Ferrari gonna Ferrari.

• Like 1

Post race interviews on F1TV indicate that there was some sort of virtual safety car software (from race control end) issue that threw Perez off on the restart. Whatever that means. Checo sort of having an excuse at least makes more sense as to why he fucked that restart up.

Good race.

Race was pretty fun, more fun than I was expecting from Circuit PR.  Great weekend for Fred. 

Ferrari, good lord.  Every single week it's something.  Being a Ferrari fan is almost as much of a beating as being a Longhorn fan for the past decade.

Did they not say that Sainz had to come in for a 5 second penalty? I was cooking breakfast for the fam at the same time so might have missed it.

They would have added 5 seconds on to his time at the end of the race if he hadn't.  It was dumb to not give him more laps on new tires though. 

He definitely took the penalty in the pit. That’s what had the commentary box all messed up. They all figured he would still be on the podium had he stayed out on those tires.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto is sure the team made the correct decision to pit Carlos Sainz Jnr in the closing stages of the French Grand Prix, even though he had just moved into third place.

Sainz had risen from 19th on the grid to pass Sergio Perez for third place by the 41st lap of 53. He had a five-second time penalty to serve after he was unsafely released in front of Alexander Albon’s Williams during his pit stop.

That, and concern over the life of his medium compound tyres, led Ferrari to bring him in for a second pit stop, Binotto explained. Radio messages between Sainz and Ferrari indicated some indecision over whether or not to pit. Sainz later said “I don’t understand why we boxed, we would have pulled away”.

However Binotto was certain the team made the right call. “The choice we made was the proper and the right one,” he told RaceFans and other media after the race.

“I think that Carlos from the cockpit, from the heat, does not have all the information so for him was difficult to judge. But no doubt that I think we made the right choice.

“At first we were trying to extend the stint as much as possible to have the best freedom, the tyre life, to make sure we are not overshooting any decisions in terms of tyre life.

“As soon as we got all the information which were required, we realised that there was not sufficient tyre life to go to the end of the race. As simple as that. To stay out would have been risk in terms of safety and reliability in terms of tyre life. So we had to stop.

“More than that I think that the pace of Carlos would not have been sufficient to open the gap more than five seconds to Perez and Russell to cover the five-second penalty. So it was important, it was right to stop.

“By doing that we had the fastest lap of the race, which still was a point, important points for the team and for Carlos. So once again, I think what we did was a good choice, waiting the right moment, having all the data and making the proper [call].”

https://www.racefans.net/2022/07/24/ferrari-defend-proper-and-right-decision-to-pit-sainz-after-he-passed-perez/

Post race interviews on F1TV indicate that there was some sort of virtual safety car software (from race control end) issue that threw Perez off on the restart. Whatever that means. Checo sort of having an excuse at least makes more sense as to why he fucked that restart up.

Good race.

Once the “VSC ending soon” notice goes out, there is a random period of time between 4-7 seconds where the race will go green. Red Bull was saying it was longer than 7 seconds.

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I don't think Sainz would have made it to the end without the stop. Probably would have lost a tire a crashed.

Agree. When he passed Perez he was still net 5 and no guarantees he puts 5 seconds on each (not to mention he would have to push that tire to the end). 

With the fresh tires, he would have been set up nicely if there was a late wreck and the field bunched up. 

Staying out didn’t seem worth the risk for the reward. You could argue they did it too late and didn’t take full advantage of a fresh set in the last stint. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

8 minutes ago, MadTrapper said:

So I'm looking at COTA tickets for Friday for the USGP. Any suggestions on where to get seats at COTA? Turn 1, 4, and 12 look intriguing based on the track layout, but I've not been there before.

On Friday?  I'd just get GA and wander.  

For the race, Turns 12 and 15 are my recommendation.  Our PSL seats are in T15.  If you're above about row 10 you can see T12 well enough to see anything interesting happening there, and you have a better view of the entire stadium complex.

Turn 1 can be interesting as well, especially on lap1 but we've seen some other cool passes (and/or force-offs) occur there in later laps, too.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

For the race, Turns 12 and 15 are my recommendation.  Our PSL seats are in T15.  If you're above about row 10 you can see T12 well enough to see anything interesting happening there, and you have a better view of the entire stadium complex.
Turn 1 can be interesting as well, especially on lap1 but we've seen some other cool passes (and/or force-offs) occur there in later laps, too.
Yeah ok I see what you're saying about GA. That makes a lot of sense.for Friday and I'll probably just do that. Many thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MadTrapper said:
9 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah ok I see what you're saying about GA. That makes a lot of sense.for Friday and I'll probably just do that. Many thanks.

Yup, it's just my opinion but I know several of the other guys around here would agree.

Friday is actually my favorite day from a "fun" standpoint.  Crowds are smaller, and I like to just move around the track and get views of the cars from all over, during the various practice sessions for F1, and practice and qualy sessions for the other "undercard" series that are racing that day.

Getting a spot on the grass at Turn 1 is a great view to appreciate the steepness of the track there, and I like to get over around Turn 3 to see them enter the esses, or 6/7 to see them exit.  I'll even sometimes walk all the way down to Turn 11.  I easily get 6-8  miles of walking in on USGP Fridays.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup, it's just my opinion but I know several of the other guys around here would agree.

Friday is actually my favorite day from a "fun" standpoint.  Crowds are smaller, and I like to just move around the track and get views of the cars from all over, during the various practice sessions for F1, and practice and qualy sessions for the other "undercard" series that are racing that day.

Getting a spot on the grass at Turn 1 is a great view to appreciate the steepness of the track there, and I like to get over around Turn 3 to see them enter the esses, or 6/7 to see them exit.  I'll even sometimes walk all the way down to Turn 11.  I easily get 6-8  miles of walking in on USGP Fridays.

Second all of this. It’s also pretty sweet to go to the inside the GA spot with the rides and food. You can stand right by the long straight and see just how fast the cars are up close. I watched qualifying there last year, and it was awesome to hear the uproar of the crowd when Checo put in fastest lap on the first runs in Q3. We had some Mexicans by us losing their minds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Second all of this. It’s also pretty sweet to go to the inside the GA spot with the rides and food. You can stand right by the long straight and see just how fast the cars are up close. I watched qualifying there last year, and it was awesome to hear the uproar of the crowd when Checo put in fastest lap on the first runs in Q3. We had some Mexicans by us losing their minds. 

Yeah that's a great point.  Getting to that infield and watching the cars on the back straight is pretty cool.

Also, a couple of years here and there, we've either known people with RVs in the PRICEY RV area, and/or known corporate folks throwing parties in that RV area, and gotten passes to go over there.  Watching from the outside of that part of the track is cool, too.  I think one of our regular surleys has an RV setup over there, too.

Does that mean Honda is 100% out of F1 now?  I'm not feeling sorry for multibillion dollar international corporations, but I definitely have a soft spot for Honda powerplants in Formula 1.  Nostalgia and whatnot.

Given that Porsche is my favorite car manufacturer ever, I might have to go all in on RBR.  Checo, of course, but still...

• Hook 'Em 1

Does that mean Honda is 100% out of F1 now?  I'm not feeling sorry for multibillion dollar international corporations, but I definitely have a soft spot for Honda powerplants in Formula 1.  Nostalgia and whatnot.
Given that Porsche is my favorite car manufacturer ever, I might have to go all in on RBR.  Checo, of course, but still...
Didn't Honda just say a few weeks ago they now don't want to leave in 2026? I guess that leaves another engine supplier.

19 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The low point for me with Seb was Multi 21, but he's come such a long way from that. Smart and conscientious with pretty good senses of humor and humility. He'll be a big miss on the grid. But new blood is always welcome, so here's hoping we get a good one. 

do he and Weber get along these days? did they ever recover?

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I never liked him much but he was growing on me in recent years.  I'd rather he stayed but it's probably time for some of the older guys to move on and make some room.

Except for Fred.  I hope he stays forever. 

Yep, sames

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it wrong of me that I see Ferrari topping the times today and Max's comment that RB is clearly trailing them? If that's not a great setup for some Ferrari hijinks, I don't know what is.

Oh yeah, it's cool seeing McLaren sitting pretty high up the list so far. Hope they can keep it up.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is it wrong of me that I see Ferrari topping the times today and Max's comment that RB is clearly trailing them? If that's not a great setup for some Ferrari hijinks, I don't know what is.

Oh yeah, it's cool seeing McLaren sitting pretty high up the list so far. Hope they can keep it up.

Exactly.  When I see stuff like that, all I can think of is DOOOOOOOOOOM  for Ferrari.

FAFO.