Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure about that. Ferrari has been horrible on the softs, but Leclerc would at least be on the podium instead of in 6th. 

nobody could ever win a title with this Ferrari strategy team. 

Yeah, I wrote that before I realized how unimpressive they were on softs. Would have made for a fun finish though if Leclerc didn't have 10 laps of bleeding time on hards and had one less pit stop.

Weird how Ferrari royally sucked on hards and softs, but were the fastest car on the track on mediums.

16 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

When Danny made the move on the Alpines I was like oh shit here we go then I slowly drifted back into darkness. 

Mcl fucked him by going to Hard tires. He had a new set of Med or Soft (like Hamilton) and they still went hard even after watching Alpine struggle with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No one would do well on hards there.  The corners aren't fast enough and it wasn't hot enough.  Everyone knew that except Alpine and Ferrari.  Ferrari was extra stupid trying it after Alpine confirmed they wouldn't work.  Binotto really should be fired over this.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think it’s almost inevitable that Mercedes overtakes Ferrari in constructor’s championship. Only 30 points behind. Can LeClerc hold on to 2nd in the drivers’?

Not with Ferrari strategy and reliability. He has two more grid penalties coming. 

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No one would do well on hards there.  The corners aren't fast enough and it wasn't hot enough.  Everyone knew that except Alpine and Ferrari.  Ferrari was extra stupid trying it after Alpine confirmed they wouldn't work.  Binotto really should be fired over this.

And McLaren. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Max is the shit. 10th to first on a parade circuit with perhaps a not-100% car.

This. He is a bad man behind the wheel of a race car. 

Re: Strategy -- I am glad I am not a pit wall strategist. I'd love to get a deep dive on what they do and how they make decisions and with what tools. Watching from home, that stuff is so damn confusing. Trying to factor in weather, position, safety cars, response to other team strategies, degradation, etc. It's insane. 

I guess at the end of the day you just have to do what will give you the absolute lowest total race time and try to tune out all the other noise?

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Mcl fucked him by going to Hard tires. He had a new set of Med or Soft (like Hamilton) and they still went hard even after watching Alpine struggle with them. 

Really dumb of them to do. McLaren  had two examples of hards not working and they still went with them. It cost Danny a chance to finish in the points and maybe even Lando finishing better. 

Edited by DoneWithit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Post image

So nine cars used a hard tire. Didn't realize it was that many. 

Ricciardo stands out -- started on used softs for 15 laps, moved up nicely on mediums for 31 laps, and then went to hard for the last 20. Were there no more med/soft tires at all?

If you were going hard, seems like Alonso and Ocon had the right strategy in using hard, but only making it a one stop race.

Ferrari is Estremamente stupido. Every week they do something idiotic.

I can't imagine Michael Schumacher not beating someone to a pulp if they were this dumb with him. Of course, he orchestrated the revival of Ferrari so he was pretty much in charge. But, man, oh man they are dumb.

That being said, on a terrible track for passing I was very pleased to see six, and sometimes eight, cars in the mix. It's been a long time coming.

Great weekend for Mercedes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That being said, on a terrible track for passing I was very pleased to see six, and sometimes eight, cars in the mix. It's been a long time coming.

The new cars are great. 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Putting hards on Leclerc might take over the lead for dumbest thing Ferrari has done this year.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ferrari better fire their entire strategy team over summer break. 

With all the evidence Alpine gave them about the performance of the hards, why in the world would Ferrari pit THE RACE LEADER who was driving away from the field onto them? I legit lol’d at Brundle’s reaction to Charles’ team radio about them (maybe an unpopular opinion, but Crofty and Brundle are great. Yes they wave the Union Jack from time to time but that’s to be expected from a broadcast team based in and originally delivered to the UK audience.)

I think we all wanted to see season-long title battles, but Ferrari’s strategy and reliability have taken the sting out of the title races. Max leading the DC by 80 and RB the CC by 97. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He had a new set of Med or Soft (like Hamilton) and they still went hard even after watching Alpine struggle with them. 

He did not have a set of Med. He already ran 2 and had to switch. It was a fooked strategy overall. Mercedes got it right with Ham.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

When Danny made the move on the Alpines I was like oh shit here we go then I slowly drifted back into darkness. 

Fucking McLaren putting Danny out into traffic on new hards when everyone around him has softs or mediums.  That's Ferrari level strategy right there.

And any guesses as to whether that AM wing is declared illegal by the end of summer break?  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RPM said:

He did not have a set of Med. He already ran 2 and had to switch. It was a fooked strategy overall. Mercedes got it right with Ham.

He and Lando started on soft(L - 1-15, D -1-16), then went medium (L-43, D-47), then hard. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Alonso to AM. Did not see that coming

Nor did I. I was just thinking a few hours ago about asking if anyone heard of any replacements for Vettel, you know, young guys on the rise. Now this.

This quote from Alonso, from the Formula 1 website, though I just don't see it. I wanted it to be true for Vettel but, even though they have hired a ton of people the results are sparse.

“I have known Lawrence and Lance [Stroll] for many years and it is very obvious that they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula 1. I have watched as the team has systematically attracted great people with winning pedigrees, and I have become aware of the huge commitment to new facilities and resources at Silverstone. No one in Formula 1 today is demonstrating a greater vision and absolute commitment to winning, and that makes it a really exciting opportunity for me."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-fernando-alonso-signs-to-aston-martin-for-2023-on-multi-year.1i8QwJht5v7dBCWFCcrqml.html

As far as the race?  Blech.  For a while at least Ferrari kept it interesting by finding NEW and horrible ways to screw everything up, but this one was pretty standard and uninspiring. 

Also, with the new aero on the cars allowing them to race so closely, I think it's time to kill the DRS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Alpine seems more competitive than AM.   Another in a long string of bad Fred choices?

Sounds like he wanted more than a 1 year deal which Alpine wouldn’t do because of Piastri. Which is fair, since they aren’t fighting for wins anyway and he wants a big salary, and Alpine does want Piastri in the car sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Sounds like he wanted more than a 1 year deal which Alpine wouldn’t do because of Piastri. Which is fair, since they aren’t fighting for wins anyway and he wants a big salary, and Alpine does want Piastri in the car sooner rather than later.

Makes sense.  I probably shouldn't blame Fred for EVERY seemingly bad choice.  Sometimes it's just been timing.  Anyway, if anyone can move that car up the grid a bit, it's Alonso.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Post image

So nine cars used a hard tire. Didn't realize it was that many. 

Ricciardo stands out -- started on used softs for 15 laps, moved up nicely on mediums for 31 laps, and then went to hard for the last 20. Were there no more med/soft tires at all?

If you were going hard, seems like Alonso and Ocon had the right strategy in using hard, but only making it a one stop race.

seeing them flip Danny Ric over to hard tires after having 5 laps of LEC sucking, data from 4 laps of Norris, Zhou for almost 20 laps. MSC for 20 laps, KMAG for 30 laps and Botas for 20 laps and saying "yeah, this is a better option than scrubbed medium"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I doubt they came to an agreement that fast.  I would bet it's been in the works since Vettel announced he was retiring.  It probably played in to Alonso not giving a shit and letting Ocon know about it though.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

As far as the race?  Blech.  For a while at least Ferrari kept it interesting by finding NEW and horrible ways to screw everything up, but this one was pretty standard and uninspiring. 

Also, with the new aero on the cars allowing them to race so closely, I think it's time to kill the DRS

We were talking about that the other day. I too think it is time to do away with it.

• Hook 'Em 1