Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

He used to give off a very cliched and manufactured vibe, but now he exudes much more calm and authenticity. In a similar way how vettel used to be a huge brat, then turned into the cool big brother of the grid.

I’m a fan of his now, except for the outlandish fashion  

This is my take. I couldn't stand either one, but both changed for the better. Vettel especially, I hated him the fury of a thousand suns. But he is a legit dude now.

• Hook 'Em 2

The World Motor Sport Council Approves F1 2026 Power Unit Regulations And Updated 2022-2023 Technical Regulations
https://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-approves-f1-2026-power-unit-regulations-and-updated-2022-2023

ICE
- 1.6L V6 ICE, same revs 
- 400kW, reduced fuel flow rate
- more prescribed lower part (engine block, crankshaft, connecting rods, pumps, and ancillaries)

ERS
- 350kW (up from 120kW)
- improved road relevance of cells, power electronics and motors 
- Competitive emphasis on energy flow management

100% sustainable fuel

Cost cap for engine manufacturers

MGU-H removed

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by wood

Man, I love me some Bottas. Just seems like a legit cool dude. One of my favorite drivers.

I think if you understand what's likable about Bottas, you can understand why I'm not a big Hamilton fan. They seem like polar opposites to me. LH seems like a lot of glam, hanging out with celebrities, going to the Met Gala. Bottas just wants to go ride his bike in Colorado and sit his bare ass in a river. 

Looking at it again, this is nearly a spec engine without calling it a spec engine.

That’s disappointing.

There will be some room for ERS differences, but with the MGU-K having to be built-in with the battery, that means battery placement will essentially be required to be behind the engine and may require liquid cooling with all that heat buildup, which may mean larger sidepods, etc.

Just seems like a big technological step back, but I guess that’s what VW AG wanted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Looking at it again, this is nearly a spec engine without calling it a spec engine.

That’s disappointing.

There will be some room for ERS differences, but with the MGU-K having to be built-in with the battery, that means battery placement will essentially be required to be behind the engine and may require liquid cooling with all that heat buildup, which may mean larger sidepods, etc.

Just seems like a big technological step back, but I guess that’s what VW AG wanted.

This has been my takeaway as well.  I dislike the move, pretty intensely, but nobody asked me.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

That’s disappointing.

VW and others (who wouldn't enter an F1 with an MGU-H) wanted a road-relevant, less complex, and less costly PU formula. I'm not crazy about all the aspects of the new PU. It seems they want ICE parity and for the development war to focus on the ERS side which, unfortunately, seems to be what the manufacturers want as well. It's gonna still be heavy, and probably less powerful on average, even with the increased limits.

Also, there are the late - completely unnecessary - changes to the floor and diffuser, supposedly for driver safety. Why not just set safe limits on the bouncing and let the teams figure out their own solutions to the problem that some of them have mostly whipped anyway? Instead, now almost everyone is back to the drawing board, even if they had a good concept to begin with, and are already well into design work on the 2023 car. Some of the work they've already done will have to be changed now. The teams that got it right are being disadvantaged in favor of the teams who got it wrong.

Could late rule changes to F1 2023 floors aid bigger teams? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/could-late-rule-changes-to-f1-2023-floors-aid-bigger-teams/10353840/

Meanwhile, Toyota, Hyundai and others are forging ahead on the Hydrogen front, and making some great advancements. Hopefully that continues and we see it someday in F1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

F1 needs a legitimate spin-off threat. 

Absolutely 100%.

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Saudis apparently have more cash they know what to do with - they can call it Formula LIV.

Hell, between their sponsorship and stakes in teams, they practically own F1 now ... and are rumored to be in the process of buying the commercial rights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I just read on Facebook that COTA is introducing a new infield grandstand at turns 6-8 for the USGP.

I'm assuming that means they'll have additional tickets available, for anyone interested that couldn't get some before.

May be an image of text

So, just after T5 apparently. I've always thought that spot would be nice for a GS. The huge runoff the GS will be on the other side of will put a bit of a damper on that tho. 

Seems like they're replacing the GS that was between 19 & 20 last year. It still blows my mind that anyone pays money to sit at 19 or 2.

Edited by wood

Isn’t 2 gone? That’s where I sat the first year and I think it disappeared shortly after. Or did they bring it back? I don’t know I just roam these days

Also, seems like it would have been easier with less fuss for the saudis to have just bought F1 then mess with PGA. They probably will soon anyways. Where’s Bernie

25 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Isn’t 2 gone? That’s where I sat the first year and I think it disappeared shortly after. Or did they bring it back? I don’t know I just roam these days

Also, seems like it would have been easier with less fuss for the saudis to have just bought F1 then mess with PGA. They probably will soon anyways. Where’s Bernie

Yeah it did disappear after year 1, because so many people complained about the view. They brought it back last year, and added the GSs at 18 & 19. I was really surprised they brough it back. Now I guess they're moving the T19 GS to T6.

46 minutes ago, NoName said:

the DNF record Lewis has is incredible.

1/3/1/2/0/1/0/0/1/0 during his time with MB - average of 1 per year between 2013 and 2021. just incredible.

So obviously I haven't watched forever, but 3-4 years now. The wreck in Austria during qualifying is the first time I think I've seen him crash and be done. He's gone off before, but always manages to save it somehow. When his tire blew and he was on the last lap and still brought it home. When him and Max had their crash in Saudi Arabia, he was still able to keep going. His ability to stay racing is uncanny. 

Whoops. Forgot about Monza crash with Max.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Yep. From 2014-2020, Merc was just cruising. It took a long time for the other manufacturers to claw back the big lead Merc had in development of this era's PU. Luca Di Montezemolo said Niki told him Merc whad worked on it since 2007.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So obviously I haven't watched forever, but 3-4 years now. The wreck in Austria during qualifying is the first time I think I've seen him crash and be done. He's gone off before, but always manages to save it somehow. When his tire blew and he was on the last lap and still brought it home. When him and Max had their crash in Saudi Arabia, he was still able to keep going. His ability to stay racing is uncanny. 

Lewis is has done a very good job in that car, but cruising the way they have been, there are several drivers who could keep that car in those races, driving from the lead, without having to push or take chances very often.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Lewis is has done a very good job in that car, but cruising the way they have been, there are several drivers who could keep that car in those races, driving from the lead, without having to push or take chances very often.

I disagree. What Lewis has done is special and lucky. Remember Bottas' wheel nut? That just doesn't happen to Lewis. I've seen him go off in the gravel and instead of gunning it and digging a hole, he's super gentle and is able to slowly get out of it. In Germany 2019 in the rain he crashes and still finishes. Valterri crashes and is done. 

He rarely seems to beat himself.

5 minutes ago, wood said:

no doubt he has done well, just remember looking up the other "top drivers" and while a good bit of his success is due to a lack of technical issues with MB, it's still impressive he averages 1 DNF / year in the turbohybrid era.

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

no doubt he has done well, just remember looking up the other "top drivers" and while a good bit of his success is due to a lack of technical issues with MB, it's still impressive he averages 1 DNF / year in the turbohybrid era.

The huge performance and reliability advantage Merc have had overall in the turbohybrid era is a very large part of that though. Lewis has done what you should do when your car has a big performance advantage and doesn't break. 

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I disagree. What Lewis has done is special and lucky. Remember Bottas' wheel nut? That just doesn't happen to Lewis. I've seen him go off in the gravel and instead of gunning it and digging a hole, he's super gentle and is able to slowly get out of it. In Germany 2019 in the rain he crashes and still finishes. Valterri crashes and is done. 

He rarely seems to beat himself.

Right. Lewis absolutely hasn't beaten himself - since the beginning of 2014. He's done very well in that regard. I do agree he's been lucky in some respects, but he's also just driven the car well within its capabilities, as he should. He knew what he had in that car. In this era, aside from last year and Bottas's disgraceful P5 in 2018, Merc has finished P1/2 five times and P1/close P3 once. Merc as a team have averaged less than 3 DNFs over that time. Ferrari, the next closest, has more than 2x as many, and it only gets much worse from there.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lewis does an outstanding job of finding the car's limits during practice and then staying within it during quali and the race.  I don't seem to see it as much the past year or so, but HAM going for a spin or well off track used to be a pretty regular occurrence during practice.  Then in Q and on race day, the dude simply never beats himself.  Honestly think that is his best trait as a driver.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you're in a McLaren or an Alpine or (before this year) even a Ferrari and you drive off into the gravel and lose 7 places with 20 laps to go, you have almost zero chance at making the podium.

If you're in the Merc, you have an excellent chance.  

It makes a big difference.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If you're in a McLaren or an Alpine or (before this year) even a Ferrari and you drive off into the gravel and lose 7 places with 20 laps to go, you have almost zero chance at making the podium.

If you're in the Merc, you have an excellent chance.  

It makes a big difference.

But it's not talking about podiums. Just DNFs. Lewis just has a knack for keeping it on the road while Merc has a reliable car.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

how much of not DNFing is being up front so avoiding most T1 incidents?

But even this year he's stayed out of trouble and he isn't starting on the front row.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But it's not talking about podiums. Just DNFs. Lewis just has a knack for keeping it on the road while Merc has a reliable car.

Here's the thing. He didn't really have that knack (at least not to such a very high level)  until he had a car that that could be driven well within its limits and still easily run out front. I can't see that as mere coincidence. When you're having to push hard, you're going to have more reliability issues and make more mistakes. When you can run out front easily and rarely have to push, it's massively easier to keep your shit together.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But even this year he's stayed out of trouble and he isn't starting on the front row.

It would be difficult to isolate and quantify it, but intuitively I don't think there can be any doubt that having a super-reliable and highly capable car, results in a driver feeling more secure and confident, and knowing he has to take fewer risks, in order to move that car around the track.

I don't think anyone is saying Lewis isn't a remarkable driver-- or at least that's not what I'm trying to suggest.  But there's zero doubt that he's had a significantly larger margin for error over the past 8 years, as a result of the reliability and capability, of the car he' driving.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wood said:

Here's the thing. He didn't really have that knack (at least not to such a very high level)  until he had a car that that could be driven well within its limits and still easily run out front. I can't see that as mere coincidence. When you're having to push hard, you're going to have more reliability issues and make more mistakes. When you can run out front easily and rarely have to push, it's massively easier to keep your shit together.

2007 1 DNF

2008 1 DNF

2009 2 DNF

2010 3 DNF

2011 3 DNF

2012 5 DNF

I didn't follow F1 back in his McLaren days so I don't know what was going on with their reliability at the time, and I didn't dig into the circumstances of any of these DNFs, but other than 2012 it kinda seems like he *DID* have that knack from the beginning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Lewis does an outstanding job of finding the car's limits during practice and then staying within it during quali and the race.  I don't seem to see it as much the past year or so, but HAM going for a spin or well off track used to be a pretty regular occurrence during practice.  Then in Q and on race day, the dude simply never beats himself.  Honestly think that is his best trait as a driver.  

100%, its the consistency across all conditions that makes him great: rain, shine, etc

2007 1 DNF
2008 1 DNF
2009 2 DNF
2010 3 DNF
2011 3 DNF
2012 5 DNF
I didn't follow F1 back in his McLaren days so I don't know what was going on with their reliability at the time, and I didn't dig into the circumstances of any of these DNFs, but other than 2012 it kinda seems like he *DID* have that knack from the beginning.

He absolutely did.

2012 was such an outlier, too. The MP4-27 was fast, but super fragile. He retired from the lead 3 times with technical issues, IIRC.

And of course, that painful 2007 one which was just so, so preventable by McLaren…..

dc669a10aa5d082a7785ae20e085087d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

2007 1 DNF

2008 1 DNF

2009 2 DNF

2010 3 DNF

2011 3 DNF

2012 5 DNF

Sure. I'm not saying he had a lot of DNFs before. Re: the beginning, he was in a very reliable McLaren that should have won both championships in 2007 and won the WDC in 2008.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

He absolutely did.

2012 was such an outlier, too. The MP4-27 was fast, but super fragile. He retired from the lead 3 times with technical issues, IIRC.

And of course, that painful 2007 one which was just so, so preventable by McLaren…..

dc669a10aa5d082a7785ae20e085087d.jpg

Just like LeClerc this year.