Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

30 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Nascar has never run the full course. The lap would take too long.

First time I've ever watched anything NASCAR at the Glen in decades, and it's only because of Kimi.

As far as length of time a lap takes? It takes what it takes.  Do NASCAR fans have super short attention spans or something?  Adding another mile is just too much?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kimi has less than zero fucks to give, and I love it. Dude seems 100% comfortable with who and what he is and cares nothing what I or anyone think. I only hope they had gloves, steering wheel, and the drink ready for him.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Roughly when do Canada GP tickets go on sale?

I know that about a month after this year's GP they gave those who bought a ticket a chance to buy the same seats again. As for selling to the public, don't know. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:12 AM, Dutch said:

Kimi has less than zero fucks to give, and I love it. Dude seems 100% comfortable with who and what he is and cares nothing what I or anyone think. I only hope they had gloves, steering wheel, and the drink ready for him.

my spirit animal

https://theathletic.com/3527599/2022/08/22/kimi-raikkonen-nascar-watkins-glen-2/

Spoiler

Kimi Raikkonen’s NASCAR cameo at Watkins Glen brought a thaw from the Iceman

By Jeff Gluck

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. — It wasn’t a surprise to see Kimi Raikkonen find speed during his first weekend as a NASCAR Cup Series driver. Even with a minimal amount of laps in a stock car, the 2007 Formula One world champion was always going to be quick to adapt.

What wasn’t as expected? The warmth from the “Iceman,” whose famously frosty demeanor was nowhere to be found during his trip to the United States.

There was Raikkonen playfully squeezing the hand of a competitor’s baby moments before climbing into a race car. There was Raikkonen bending down to gently pat his two young children, who were hovering around their father’s legs in a crowd. There was Raikkonen hanging out all weekend in the drivers’ motorhome lot, living the bus life along with his family.

This was not the Raikkonen seen on interview highlight reels or heard yelling at his F1 crew on the radio. Whether it was because he was more relaxed in a one-off setting or whether he simply did not need the drink, Raikkonen never came close to giving any soundbites via team communications this time around.

And then there was this scene: Raikkonen actually joking and smiling with other drivers before the race, sharing laughs with the likes of Kyle Busch, Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr.

“If it rains, I’m just going to follow you,” Truex told Raikkonen with a chuckle.

“I’ll try to stay out of you in the first corner,” Raikkonen replied with a grin.

NASCAR Kimi was certainly different than F1 Kimi, who Lando Norris said never spoke a word to him in three years of racing in the same series. Though some of Raikkonen’s fans at the track wore T-shirts with his famous “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing” line, this version of Raikkonen enjoyed himself too much to be in a sour mood.

Asked about his favorite part of the NASCAR experience, the 42-year-old had another surprising answer: “Everything,” he said.

Clearly, the feeling was mutual for his Trackhouse Racing team and the rest of the NASCAR garage.

“He’s an amazing professional,” crew chief Darian Grubb said. “It’s just as you’d expect: He came in, worked really hard, studied hard, did everything we ever asked of him with no complaints and put in the work. I wish we could have got him the finish he deserved.”

That finish would have been in the top 15 based on the team’s strategy and Raikkonen’s speed, Grubb said. One driver on the same strategy, Austin Cindric, finished 13th. But as sometimes happens in the full-contact world of NASCAR road courses, Raikkonen got shoved off the track when cars in front of him came together; it jerked the wheel and sent him into the tire barrier, ending his day at the halfway point of the race.

“Unfortunately, this is a bad result, but nothing we could have really changed,” Raikkonen said after finishing 37th out of 39 cars. “It wasn’t like we (did) it ourselves, we just ended up in the wrong place.”

Raikkonen’s cameo in NASCAR was part of a Trackhouse initiative called Project 91, where team owner Justin Marks plans to create an opportunity for drivers around the world to give NASCAR a try. Raikkonen agreed to be the first one in the car after Marks flew to Switzerland to pitch him on it; a mutual friend, P.J. Rashidi, helped get them in touch and smoothed the path for a conversation.

Unlike most NASCAR starts from so-called road course ringers in the past, Raikkonen actually had an elite car to work with. Project 91 put together a full effort with separate branding and a professional appearance fitting of a top team. Everything was buttoned up and all the details were taken care of, from Raikkonen’s simulator time to a NASCAR-sanctioned test session to the logistics and schedules at the track.

For a driver who once called F1 a “hobby,” his NASCAR experience actually seemed to fit that mold. With Raikkonen’s family in tow and a tourist trip to New York City built in, the vibe felt like a summer vacation where Raikkonen happened to do a race.

“I really like it. It’s very relaxed, a nice family atmosphere,” Raikkonen said of NASCAR. “It’s a lot more of a family atmosphere here than in F1.”

Raikkonen’s fans certainly appreciated the chance to see him up close as well, and many took advantage of NASCAR’s more open access policies to get autographs or selfies.

Elena Ceto, who flew from Miami for the race, stood near Raikkonen’s pit during practice with a Finland flag draped over her shoulders. Originally from Russia, Ceto said she’d been a Raikkonen fan since age 11 and named the other times when she’d been able to see him race (Malaysia in 2013 and Russia in 2015).

Now here she was, having her Finland flag signed by Raikkonen after he qualified 27th.

“He’s just the best,” she gushed after securing the autograph.

Marcel Mongeau, a fan from Michigan, is an F1 supporter who has jumped at the opportunity to see some favorite drivers race stateside. He went to IndyCar’s Belle Isle Grand Prix to see former F1 driver Romain Grosjean drive and then visited Watkins Glen for Raikkonen.

“I just love his demeanor,” Mongeau said. “No matter what it is, he’ll just say it like it is. I love that dryness. He answers and moves on and doesn’t explain further.”

For those who couldn’t attend in person, there was certainly a large international audience watching on TV as well. Some on Twitter said they were viewing a NASCAR race for the first time.

American stock car racing doesn’t carry the same respect around the world as a series like Formula One, which caused some to wonder how Raikkonen’s appearance would be perceived. NASCAR’s Tyler Reddick, an F1 fan who once had open-wheel aspirations himself, said he wanted Raikkonen to do well but also said he hoped “he doesn’t make us all look like clowns.”

As it turned out, there was a perfect balance: Raikkonen did well enough to impress drivers with his talent and remind everyone why he’s an F1 legend, but also showed how difficult NASCAR can be in the process. At one point, he had a nice battle with Chase Elliott — who has been NASCAR’s winningest road racer in recent years.

“He was doing great,” Elliott said. “He was right in the middle of the mess there and he looked right at home.”

Denny Hamlin had similar praise for Raikkonen after practice (calling his 20th-place result “stupid impressive”) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. noted how Raikkonen was able to drop right into the middle of a highly competitive field with little experience.

Raikkonen said he was continuing to learn every lap, but his race was ultimately cut short. Will he ever come back to give NASCAR another try? That’s not up to him, he said, and Project 91 will likely try to get additional famous faces into the series.

But Raikkonen also said he wouldn’t be opposed to a return, and seemed to leave the door open to doing another race at some point.

“I have nothing against (the idea),” he said. “We’ll see.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Kimi's Iceman persona was pretty much reserved for Formula 1 media. He hates being interviewed and answering the same mundane questions over and over again. By all accounts if you interact with him on a more personal level he's as warm and genuine as they come. 

Yep. That's what I remember always hearing from other drivers, team personnel, etc. Kimi's not only a good guy, but a jokester who doesn't take any of it too seriously.

I’m not sure I’m emotionally prepared for a triple header. That’s gonna be a lot of terrible strategy decisions for Charles.

Hopefully Ferrari has been using the summer break to work on their strategy and come up with new and innovative ways to fuck him over. I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict they will put Charles on wet tyres on a dry track at some point in the next 3 weeks. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, NoName said:
so, the most Haas thing ever would be to bump Mick and add in Hulk...right?

Yeah, I'm sure they are tired of Mick binning cars, but I don't think Hulk is the answer.

The answer at Haas does not lie with the drivers. Hulk would be the best driver they've ever had, but the car would still be where it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Makes it real hard to be a McLaren fan now. They did him dirty.

I mean I don’t think they’ve treated him that poorly. He’s like the 3rd highest paid driver and he’s severely underperformed for a year and a half now. He’s likely going to Alpine, which is the best seat he could possibly hope for and that likely wouldn’t be available to him after next year. I guess McLaren could’ve made the transition a little cleaner, but part of that was caused by Alpine and these types of situations will never go smoothly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Man, a month or so ago, I would have bet money that DR wouldn't be going anywhere from McLaren. I thought for sure they've give him another year just due to how marketable a driver he is. 

Wonder what the issue is. Is it something in his head? Is the car just not suited to his style?

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is the car just not suited to his style?

It's this. Someone on here posted a vid a while back. Danny is an absolute late braker, then turning in. The car is more suited to trailbraking into the corner and Lando is better at that I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, a month or so ago, I would have bet money that DR wouldn't be going anywhere from McLaren. I thought for sure they've give him another year just due to how marketable a driver he is. 

Wonder what the issue is. Is it something in his head? Is the car just not suited to his style?

A big part is McLaren being able to poach Piastri, I think.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm pretty sure people saw the same behavior last year - they haven't actually released the tickets yet. Keep your eye on the official website https://www.gpcanada.ca/en/tickets-2023-3/

And if you've never been, go.  It's a great event.  I really enjoyed the view from the Lance Stroll Grandstand.  You get a long look at the cars as they come into the hairpin and then accelerate out.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And if you've never been, go.  It's a great event.  I really enjoyed the view from the Lance Stroll Grandstand.  You get a long look at the cars as they come into the hairpin and then accelerate out.

Also went this summer and highly recommend. Night and day from COTA.