Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, wood said:
That's really on both the driver and the team, working together to find the best setup for each driver based on driver input and team data. It's not just on the team.

I feel like most of the blame to date has been on Danny. More should be directed to the team, IMO

I dunno. They can only do so much, and the car seems to be fairly quick, even if a bit of a strange one to drive. Some guys have huge windows and can find a way to drive the wheels off of just about anything, but it's not that uncommon for some guys to not be able to adapt well to a particular car. Kimi is a good example of a guy who had a pretty narrow window in terms of car characteristics, but still had success. Alonso otoh has been known as someone who will try all kinds of different styles to see what works best on a car, then just get in it and get the most out of it. He won his WDCs because of that in 2005 & 6, when he came up with a new turn-in style that could finally get the hard-to-warm Michelins to grip on entry - radically turning in very hard to intentionally induce understeer, which heated the tires. Ricciardo's late-braking style apparently just doesn't go well with this car, while Lando found a way to adapt to it after Dan was beating him in testing. No shame in it for Danny if he just couldn't quite get his head or feet around this car, imho. He can still have a great career in a different car.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wood said:

Re: penalties & the grid, here's a weird quirk that's helping Chuck out this weekend.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/charles-leclerc-ahead-max-verstappen-spa/

Is that the first correct strategy call Ferrari has made all year? Broken clocks and all. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even if it was 100% McLaren’s fault, which it most certainly isn’t, they would still be well within their rights to thank Daniel for his service, pay him an ungodly amount of money, and send him on his way.
No argument there, just feel the blame should be shared. Feels like it's been mostly pointed at DR.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, Chewbacca said:

And if you've never been, go.  It's a great event.  I really enjoyed the view from the Lance Stroll Grandstand.  You get a long look at the cars as they come into the hairpin and then accelerate out.

LOOKS LIKE WE FOUND THE LANCE STROLL FAN!

• Haha 1

finally read that vanity fair article on hamilton

There has been a rule on the books, it turns out, since 2005—a couple of years before Hamilton’s first race in Formula 1—forbidding drivers from wearing jewelry in the cars, for safety reasons. But until now, there appears to have been no attempt to enforce it. Hamilton, who habitually races with two earrings and a nose piercing, was recently told that he must remove them going forward. “People love to have power,” he says. “And to enforce power.”

I ask him whether this feels as though it is particularly directed toward him. “I mean, yeah,” he replies. “Because I’m the only one that has jewelry on, really.”

Come on with this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean yeah, I do think the rule is dumb.  In practice the jewelry he does wear barely shows above the skin, but if they were indeed gigantic hoop earrings, it would be his risk to bear anyway.

The fact that it's used to illustrate prejudice against him is a part of this modern overreach to build narrations of victimhood and injustices.  I'm sure he's faced legitimate discrimation in his life... just don't inflate and conflate all them stories together.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

max is gonna win this from 16th isn't he?

Six tenths up, it seems so. Unless he gets clipped in lap 1 traffic. RBR strategy team seem to have their shit tight, unlike the clownshow @ Ferrari. Seriously, Chuck & Carlos now have to, in addition to basically making their own strategy calls, make sure the right tires are fitted? Race should be a really interesting one  

Spa is such a cool track; losing it on the calendar would suck. 

Edited by Dutch

Zak Brown Hits Back at Otmar Szafnauer over Oscar Piastri ‘Integrity’ Comments www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2022/08/zak-brown-hits-back-at-otmar-szafnauer-over-oscar-piastri-integrity-comments/

“Ultimately I don’t know any of the details between that relationship, so I think it would be unfair for me to take a position either way because I simply don’t know,” said Brown to Sky Sports.

“But judging by recent times, the way Fernando [Alonso] has departed and caught Otmar by surprise, and not too long ago he is the recipient of a €400,000 fine and 15 points [fined], I’m not sure he comes with the highest level of credibility and making accusations around ethics.”

Brown’s comments relate to Szafnauer’s time with the Racing Point F1 Team, when they were deemed to have illegally designed brake ducts that were the intellectual property of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team and earned them a fifteen-point penalty in the Constructors’ Championship as well as a substantial financial penalty.

boom smile GIF