Celebrity Death Pool - 2022

Wally Fairway

RIP to James McDivitt, selected as part of group 2 for the astronaut program. Flew mission on Gemini and Apollo flights. And had a connection to my hometown, along with several other NASA flyers.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/17/1129511108/nasa-astronaut-jim-mcdivitt-dies-gemini-apollo

I might change my strategy for 2023 and just pick astronauts and member of the Berkshire Hathaway board of directory=s

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

Yes it does! I loved him on Hearts Afire. RIP. 67 is too young. Admittedly, I thought he was older. Damn.

I also saw this story last week:

Carly Simon's Sisters, Composer Lucy Simon and Opera Singer Joanna Simon, Dead of Cancer a Day Apart. 

Lucy Simon died of metastatic breast cancer Thursday at the age of 82, while Joanna Simon died of thyroid cancer Wednesday at the age of 85.

https://people.com/music/carly-simons-2-sisters-lucy-and-joanna-dead-of-cancer-a-day-apart/

Her brother also died of cancer in 2018. Sad stuff.

0DF3178B-7C2D-4975-8BF0-581899E1C505.jpeg

If any of you get the chance to visit his late sister’s — now his two nieces’ — combo home / Killer shrine / museum / working drive-thru liquor store in his hometown of Ferriday, Louisiana, take it. Trust me, you will have stories for life. It’s a cut above your usual combo home / shrine / museum / working drive thru liquor store, due to the nieces. They hold it down for the family rep very well 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

He’ll die tomorrow. I honestly didn’t know he was still alive.

Yeah that’s been the case in every similar example I can think of, of an old celeb initially reported dead, then revealed to be alive still. Remember minds me of touchdowns overturned in first down inside the one-foot line. Offense almost always punches it in in the next play but on extremely rare occasions the D holds for a goal line stand.

Theoretically. I do not think I’ve ever actually seen the specific example I laid out above occur IRL just as I don’t think I’ve ever seen an old get more than a 12- or 16-hour reprieve after being reported dead like this. But if there is Anyone capable of stuffing G. Reaper’s RPO for four straight plays, it’s the Killer. Like Uncle Slayton up in the thickets with his Asian bride, Jerry Lee Motherfucking Lewis is just too mean to die. 

• Hook 'Em 1

“Of course he married his cousin! I dated one of my Swaggart cousins! Look around this town. Ain’t nobody around for miles worth dating we ain’t kin to!” — one of the Killer’s nieces, to me, a couple of years ago, over beers and crawfish on a sunny spring afternoon in the courtyard of the combo Killer’s sister’s home / museum / shrine / drive-thru liquor store in Ferriday Louisiana. 

Y’all, if I’d stuck around I am pretty sure I could have tapped that right there in the shrine lol…it’s surreal in there. That neice apparently crashes in one of the bedrooms. There were half drunk bottles of liquor all over the place — some in the living area and others unprotected in the displays: if you want to take a swig from a bottle presented to JLL by Paul McCartney back in ‘71, there’s nobody or nothing stopping you. I had the place to myself for well over an hour. 

A destination truly worthy of the man. 

• Like 2

Growing up in Memphis I saw Jerry Lee numerous times. He was the greatest rocker that ever lived.

I saw him sit down at a piano one night about 9 and he played straight til after 4 am when they pulled the plug. Had to be speeding. Didn’t stop. One song to the next. James Burton was his guitarist at the time.

At the El Capitan Club he stopped in mid song. It was a small supper club and the tables went right to the stage. “Lady, what’s your problem?” He asked a middle aged lady near the front. She said “I’m here cos of him.” Pointing at her passed out husband. “ I don’t like you. Playing devils music. You treat your dear cousins like shit. Lousy to your wife and poor kids!” He stared at her and reached down and pulled a nickel plated .32 off his ankle, slammed it on the piano deck. “ we’re gonna play that song again and see how you like it this time!” She gave him a standing ovation. Amazing no one ran out or anything when he pulled a gun.

The last time I saw him was at Peabody Alley around 87 just before we moved back to Ft Worth. Albert King had a standing gig there and we went to his show. Killer came in with Ron Wood after the show; Ron and others were in town recording at Chips Moman’s. Anyway Jerry Lee got on stage at the piano and started playing. His drummer and Kenny Lovelace got up there, along with Albert’s rhythm player who was also Bobby Bland’s lead. Jerry harangued Ron Wood to join them. Killer started playing No Headstone on My Grave, my favorite live song of his. Ron Wood had no idea what to do and got blown off the stage by Albert’s guy. I can’t remember his name for the life of me. They jammed until about 2 am. It was awesome; one of those moments that used to happen a lot in Memphis.

• Hook 'Em 7

Damn, didn’t realize he was that old, but still too young

D.H. Peligro, drummer for Red Hot Chili Peppers and Dead Kennedys 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/30/entertainment/dh-peligro-dead-kennedys-dead-trnd/index.html

D.H. Peligro, a drummer for punk rock icons the Dead Kennedys and formerly the Red Hot Chili Peppers, died Friday from a head injury, his band announced. He was 63.

“Police on the scene stated that he died from trauma to the head caused by an accidental fall,” a statement from the Dead Kennedys read. “Arrangements are pending and will be announced in the coming days. We ask that you respect the family’s privacy during this difficult time.”

Peligro passed away in his home in Los Angeles, according to the statement.

Peligro, whose real name is Darren Henley, had been a pillar in the San Francisco and Los Angeles music scene since 1978, according to his biography on the Dead Kennedys’ website.

He was a drummer for punk rock legends the Dead Kennedys until the band’s breakup in 1986, after which he joined the Red Hot Chili Peppers for some time, CNN affiliate KARE reported.

His passion for punk rock and funky music continued with his new band, Peligro, which featured him as a singer and guitarist.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Pancho said:

RIP Takeoff

o/u on bros who think they’re cool replying with “who?” = 58.5

In all fairness, a 28 year old rapper isn't exactly the target demographic for a significant chunk of the board's population.   Migos has had some commercial success and a significant amount of award nominations but I doubt a lot of us listen to their music in heavy rotation.  

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

In all fairness, a 28 year old rapper isn't exactly the target demographic for a significant chunk of the board's population.   Migos has had some commercial success and a significant amount of award nominations but I doubt a lot of us listen to their music in heavy rotation.  

First off, I know you listen to Migos.

Second, this is sort of my point. If Kane Brown or someone from Florida Georgia Line died, I’d probably google them then move on about my business instead of posting “wHo!?!?!!” in the death thread. 

just observations over the years on this site….