2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

2nd set: 31 mins

Rybakina 6

Raducanu 1

…at least Emma could smile and softly pump her fist when she held serve to go 1-3 in the second set. She even had a little chuckle as she looked to her box, but Rybakina was on fire and the match was tantamount to child abuse. 

Rybakina was in the finals of last week’s tournament and this was Raducanu’s first match of the year, after pulling  out of last week’s tournament because she’s still coming back from COVID, but she got her ass handed to her. 

Coco Gauff 6 2

K. Siniakova 1 0

Coco is looking good. 

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This Australian Open draw has a few intriguing first rounds....

#11 Kenin v. Madison Keys
#17 Raducanu v. Sloane Stephens
#20 Kvitova v. Hot Cirstea

Madison Keys should crush Kenin. 

Sloane Stephens will beat Raducanu, and I don’t even know how Sloane is playing. 

Kvitova hasn’t played in Australia, has she?

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

???

Kvitova was a finalist in 2019, losing in 3 sets to Osaka. She’s had recent success down under 

That’s great that 3 years ago Kvitova was playing well. So was Serena. 

I don’t know if Kvitova is in one of her “Lose in the first round” spells or if she’s played well since the start of the year and is ready to make some noise. She is very hot & cold. 

If she hasn’t played in one of the tournaments down under since the start of the year, it is a crapshoot. I haven’t heard her name mentioned on the Tennis Channel over the last week or so, so maybe she hasn’t played in Australia to start the season. 🤷‍♂️

According to Grand Slam rules, if Djokovic is forced to pull out of the tournament before the order of play for Day 1 is announced, No. 5 seed Andrey Rublev would move into his spot in the bracket.

If Djokovic withdraws from the tournament after Monday's schedule is released, he would be replaced in the field by what's known as a "lucky loser" -- a player who loses in the qualifying tournament but gets into the main draw because of another player's exit before competition has started.

Riske/Keys up shortly, then Badosa/Krejcikova not long after. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Okay so if Djokovic ends up being deported who's going to take his spot?

Lucky Loser

- - - In other news - - -

Madison Keys is looking pretty damned good. She should be up two breaks in the second set, but still smashing that ball. More errors in the first four games of the 2nd set than in all 7 of the 1st set.

Chrissy has cancer of the junk, but she should be able to fight it. 

Novak Djokovic can't play French Open unless vaccinated, French Sports Ministry says

It's another day of bad news for Novak Djokovic. The No. 1-ranked men's singles player might not be allowed to play at the French Open, the next Grand Slam on the schedule, because of his vaccination status. 

Djokovic lost his appeal on Sunday to play in the Australian Open, closing a nearly two-week long saga over his unvaccinated status and attempt to enter the country with a visa and exemption. It is the first Grand Slam on the calendar as he chases a 21st Grand Slam victory that would break a tie with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for most men's titles of all-time. 

Also on Sunday, the French parliament overwhelmingly approved a law requiring vaccination for anyone at restaurants, sports arenas and other venues. Previously unvaccinated persons were allowed to enter with a valid negative test. That incudes the French Open and the French Sports Ministry confirmed on Monday there would be no exemptions. 

French Open up in air for Djokovic 

The French Sports Ministry confirmed there would be no exemptions to Reuters, but said the overall situation might change before the draw in May. Via Reuters: 

"This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice," the ministry said.

"As far as Roland Garros is concerned, it's in May. The situation may change between now and then and we hope it'll be more favourable. So we'll see but clearly there's no exemption." 

Australia allowed exemptions as granted by an expert independent panel. Djokovic received initial clearance for a visa, but was detained and the information found to be insufficient. The star appealed to no avail and was deported ahead of Day 1 of the tournament. Australia is experiencing rising cases after two years of strict measures and border restrictions. France is 90% vaccinated. 

Alexander Zverev, the No. 3 ranked player in the world appreciated the clear stance from the French Open. 

"At least it's clear what's going to happen," he told reporters on Monday, via Reuters. "At least they're saying, 'OK, no unvaccinated players are allowed to play in the French Open.'

"We know that now in advance, and I can imagine there's not going to be any exemptions, and that's OK."

The German defeated Daniel Altmaier 7-6 (3), 6-1, 7-6 (1) to move into the second round of the Australian Open...

[click for the full story]

https://sports.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-cant-play-at-french-open-unless-vaccinated-french-sports-ministry-says-183956146.html

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thats too bad for Cici. Jared Donaldson recently hung up his racket for similar reasons. 5 years down the road I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them attempt a comeback

Don’t think that it will be CiCi from the article. She’s already moved on. 

On 1/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

The sisters are going to have to rely on wildcards the rest of their career to play any tournament. 

It's time.  They had a fantastic run, Serena is in the conversation for women's GOAT, but I am so tired of her sucking the energy out of American women's tennis.  

Between Screamer Collins, Sloane "get to the bar early" Stephens, Madison "who knows what the fuck you're getting" Keys, Amanda Anisimova, and Coco Gauff, there are plenty of players to step in and carry on.

Now if there was a single men's player worth a fuck, that would be cool.  Because Big Foe ain't it.  And Steve Johnson and Jack Sock or servebots Isner and Opelka aren't doing it either.

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

It's time.  They had a fantastic run, Serena is in the conversation for women's GOAT, but I am so tired of her sucking the energy out of American women's tennis.  

Between Screamer Collins, Sloane "get to the bar early" Stephens, Madison "who knows what the fuck you're getting" Keys, Amanda Anisimova, and Coco Gauff, there are plenty of players to step in and carry on.

Now if there was a single men's player worth a fuck, that would be cool.  Because Big Foe ain't it.  And Steve Johnson and Jack Sock or servebots Isner and Opelka aren't doing it either.

WTA: You left out our most recent Grand Slam winner, but no biggie. 

ATP: Korda, Cressy, & Fritz will be the Top 3 Americans by the end of the year, so I though that I would go ahead and include them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

WTA: You left out our most recent Grand Slam winner, but no biggie. 

ATP: Korda, Cressy, & Fritz will be the Top 3 Americans by the end of the year, so I though that I would go ahead and include them. 

I think Brooksby will be up there with those guys. He tested positive for covid so he wasn’t able to travel to Australia. I think he’ll have a high enough ranking to be seeded at this years US Open 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think Brooksby will be up there with those guys. He tested positive for covid so he wasn’t able to travel to Australia. I think he’ll have a high enough ranking to be seeded at this years US Open 

Brooksby is a great catch.  He was a revelation at the US Open last year.  And honestly Kenin is pretty easy to forget these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday night isn’t a sold out show in Buenos Aires because people want to see Delbonis do well. 

Juan Martin Del Potro is Argentina society’s wet dream. A soft spoken powerful giant, loved around the world, who won in New York City…

The Grand Slam that Argentines see as the king of the grand slams. 

That shot clock didn’t dare start during Delpo’s 2 minute crying delay. 

I can’t believe that Delbonis was doing drop shots UP A BREAK on Delpo’s serve. That’s a great way to be hated in your home country for the rest of your life. Really fucking stupid when you are up a break. 

If that was really Delpo’s sister, she was hot. If that was really his girlfriend, she was hot. Love that cute, straight dark-haired, smartly dressed Argie girl look. So yummy. 

I only saw Delpo once, at the Polo finals in Palermo. He was buddies with the Pieres brothers on the Ellerstina team. He was about 150 to 200 yards away from me, but at 6’6” he was easy to spot. 

…Also have a photo with Gabriela Sabatini, who was in the seat in front of me flying from Miami to Buenos Aires in April-ish 2008. I’m 5’9”, she’s 6’1”, so she sat on the arm rest for our photo. 

E41B03D5-5A85-4401-9AD3-89E82CF5BC4D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2