2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Brooksby needs to leave that amateur hour distraction shit in the past.

Same for Sonego and his yelling STARTING after he’s already hit the ball and continuing until just about when his opponent makes contact. 

I would have both of those fuckers DQ’d if I were an opponent and they pulled that shit. 

Just looking at the WTA standings and there aren't any US women in the Top 10.

864804993_ScreenShot2022-02-14at10_35_37PM.thumb.png.db08319944100734af3f9e726fe680d6.png

...but one is knocking on the door and there are a total of 3 in the Top 11-20.

811910974_ScreenShot2022-02-14at10_36_01PM.thumb.png.64fe321637c58f316e6a9ad4ba2246fb.png

...but what is really interesting is the former Slam winners in the 81-90 group.

2114203798_ScreenShot2022-02-14at10_36_32PM.thumb.png.4796c9eb14b7831642a8b656a59ac66d.png

...Osaka at #82 and Kenin climbing 5 spots to get to #90.

I remember that a "Fruhvirtova" played well in a junior event last year, because the name is hard to forget.

Apparently Brenda is 14 and Linda must be 16 at this point.

[Research Time Out]

Apparently Linda (16 - birthday May 1st) made it to the Wimbledon Jrs Semifinal last year. But it may be...

"At the junior level, Fruhvirtová won the singles and doubles titles of the Les Petits As tournament. Her sister Brenda won the singles title the year after, making them the first members of the same family to win the title over two consecutive years."

Also...

"Linda was born on 1 May 2005 in Czech Republic. She has a younger sister, Brenda (born 2007), who is also a tennis player. Linda and Brenda are some of the recipients of Patrick Mouratoglou's foundation. Linda has been training at the Mouratoglou Academy in Southern France since 2017; she also trained at the Chris Evert Academy in January 2021."

Both quotes from Linda's wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Fruhvirtová

It appears that people are going to have learn to spell that last name, because it's going to be showing up a lot in the coming decade or two.

1) Was disappointed with Korda choking. It was 0-40 before he even won a point on his serve when he was serving for the match. His sisters wouldn’t have choked like that. 

2) Ostapenko is playing well and her opponents aren’t quite up to their grand slam winning form, so she did beat 4 impressive women, but only Swiatek was playing somewhat well AND was in shape to go three sets. 

3) Did anyone see Andy Murray lose 6-1 6-0 earlier in the week. 👀

4) Jen Brady was sitting in on The Tennis Channel set this evening and WOW did she look like Wednesday Adams grown up doing community theater. I doubt that she’s ever had that much eye makeup nor her hair straightened like that in her life.

It just seemed so NOT Jen Brady.

These shots have nothing on her profile look. The hair just seemed so odd and her jacket gave her quite the bulky look from the side as well. 

FBC7A0A4-BA8B-4351-82E3-2DA86CF93E6F.jpeg

0315D144-A3B4-4014-8C6A-40B1E24B2180.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The 14 year old Fruhvirtova qualified for Guadalajara this week. Those sisters are going to be a force over the next 2 decades at the rate they're on

That younger one’s endorsement deals are going to dwarf the older one’s. 

Kind of like the Williams sisters, but if you didn’t need Ray Charles calling the shots in order for the younger one to get the big money deals. 

1) I’m picking Madison Keys to win that tournament above. 

2) I can’t figure out how Sloane can be a seed at a tournament at the moment. (In my head, she’s ranked in the 80s, but she must be in the 40-to-60s range.)

Edited by Napoleon

I caught the end of the Anna Kalinskaya match and…

She is just so damned beautiful! (Though her miles should be removed for her safety as well as our viewing.) I think that she and Kyrgios dated for a while and he was kind of an asshole either during or after, but she is something. 

She doesn’t look like a model, but a future really hot mom.

Edited by Napoleon

Sloane S vs Brenda F

From the first two points of the entire match, you could see that Brenda is extremely patient and will just hit deep, but safe baseline shots while letting her opponent make the mistake(s).

Brenda had some break points on Sloane in the second game, but no breaks until Sloane broke Brenda in the 5th game. Due to that, Brenda started impatiently going for big shots in the 6th game, but that led to unforced errors rather than winners. 

When Sloane is in shape (which she is now) and not mourning the passing of family members, she has Top 10 talent on any given day. Sloane is playing like she’s a favorite for the title this week.

Brenda had a pleasant start, but is now down 5-2 in the first set with Sloane serving after the commercial break. This looks like it could be over soon. Brenda needs to stop going for winners and just get as much hitting practice as she can, because going for winners against Sloane is just going to speed up the clock in this match. 

Sloane wins the game at love and after a slow first 4 games, the set only took 29’. The second set may be closer to 20’ than 29’.

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah the 14 year old is a bit overmatched today. She’s very poised on the court for her age but a bit overpowered against Sloane. She’s still growing so….look out

Definitely overpowered. I wasn’t paying attention to her first serve speed until her last service game and her first serves were 135kph (83.85mph) & 140kph (86.96mph)… FIRST serves.

But Brenda did settle in after going down 0-4 in the second and just tried to rally and let Sloane hit some unforced errors, so the second set was also a 29’ set. 

Good hitting for Sloane, but she’s going to have to step it up a bit in the tournament, because she was settling for first serves late in the match that were only in the mid 80s mph to low 90s mph. Perhaps she just wanted to get serves in so that she could get to the locker room. 

I do think that Sloane will go far in Zapopan,

Just realized that the Acapulco draw is stacked when I saw that Taylor Fritz, #16 in the world right now, is a 7 seed.

Medvedev (1), Zverev (2), Tsitsipas (3), Nadal (4), Berrettini (5), Norrie (6), Fritz (7), Carreno Busta (8) are the seeds. Isner is in the Top 25 and isn’t even seeded. 

I now realize that it is an ATP 500 event vs the WTA’s 250 going on in suburban Guadalajara. 

Edited by Napoleon

It is 82°F with 74% humidity in Acapulco for a heat index of 88°F.

Isner won the first set at 7-5, but just lost a tiebreaker with Verdasco in the second set (4-7). Isner looks like he is melting out there on the court.

Korda lost his first two service games and is shitting the bed in his third service game. If not for breaking Lajovic’s first service game, he would be just about done  He just got broken at love and is now down 4-1 in the first set  

On 2/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, Napoleon said:

That younger one’s endorsement deals are going to dwarf the older one’s. 

Kind of like the Williams sisters, but if you didn’t need Ray Charles calling the shots in order for the younger one to get the big money deals. 

1) I’m picking Madison Keys to win that tournament above. 

2) I can’t figure out how Sloane can be a seed at a tournament at the moment. (In my head, she’s ranked in the 80s, but she must be in the 40-to-60s range.)

👀

women m i rite

• Haha 1

Last nights Zverev Brooksby match didn’t finish until 4:55am. All 3 matches on center court yesterday lasted 3+ hours 

https://news.yahoo.com/alexander-zverev-jenson-brooksby-play-111547885.html

Worth noting that this ridiculous tournament always schedules stupid late matches. I’d love to know why. My guess is they are trying to get as much attendance as possible to keep the tournament afloat but seems bizarre

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Worth noting that this ridiculous tournament always schedules stupid late matches. I’d love to know why. My guess is they are trying to get as much attendance as possible to keep the tournament afloat but seems bizarre

WHY?

Acapulco is in the Tropics.
Coordinates: 16°51′49″N

It was 83°F and about 74% humidity at about 8:30pm last night. They basically wait until the sun has gone down to start the three night matches on Center Court. (La Cancha Central)

It is a resort town where people probably hit the beach during the day, then siesta, then go watch tennis.

These matches are frequently under 2 hours, so you can start at 6:00pm and get all three matches done by about midnight. That was not the case last night. 

I have been at the US Open when a match on Center Court ended after midnight and they then had a women’s match start somewhere around 12:30am-12:45am.

After a lengthy adult diaper delivery company commercial on The Tennis Channel…

Emma Raducanu (and her glorious toasted skin) just go broken by an Australian girl named Daria Saville, who is wearing what appear to be oversized guys boxer shorts.

Edited by Napoleon

Raducanu vs Seville early observations:

1) 3 games in, ZERO HOLDS OF SERVE

2) Double faults are the in thing. This may be in part due to…

3) Zapopan, México (suburban Guadalajara) is one mile above sea level. (About 100 feet above Denver.)

4) Other than 2 golden weeks in Queens, New York, Emma Raducanu is a player barely in the Top 100 who had a run at Wimbledon before panicking and withdrawing mid match in the 3rd round (or so). She needs matches in a major way.

Emma choosing to play a 250 in México over a 1000 in the Middle East is much more about needing to play as much as possible over a big appearance fee. She’s down a break as the #1 seed in a small tournament in México. She would almost definitely be one-and-done in Doha/Dubai.

PS- A double fault by Seville leads to the 4th break in the first 6 games and the ladies are “back on serve”… if there is such a thing in the WTA. 

Edited by Napoleon

Emma choosing to play a 250 in México over a 1000 in the Middle East is much more about needing to play as much as possible over a big appearance fee.

Love how you say that as fact. She’s also scheduled to play in Mexico next week, so she’s likely getting two extra checks. You project WAY too much.