2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I know everyone everyone is surprised at Emma’s selection for the award as she has accomplished nothing since the US Open, but that truly was unprecedented what she accomplished. No one has come through qualifying to win a slam, and we may never see it happen again. And she did it as a teenager no less. The only title run that comes close to being on that level of long-shot was Monica Puig winning the Olympics 

Edited by perfectchaos007

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Iga is playing a clay 250 in her country this week, check out how weak the draw is. Seeds #2-4 already withdrew. 

https://www.flashscore.com/draw/x2s4w28q/8dZKexfK/#/draw

That’s nice of Iga to play a tournament in Poland now that she’s #1 in the world. 

It could be a WTA125 and it would still be cool if her to do it. 

Kenin’s fall has been epic. It wasn’t like she was a one tournament wonder. She built up a solid 2nd half of 2019 and then went on to win the 2020 Aussie Open. The. Won a shitty French tournament (Lyon?) before COVID, and then made it to the finals of the Sept/Oct French Open in 2020.

Then… she went over a cliff that included an appendicitis near the start of that fall, but Hole E. Shit did she fall into nothing. 

(She’s like COUGAR in the original “Top Gun”. She was holding on too tight. She’s lost her edge. She might consider turning in her wings at this point.)

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Whoops. 

I would want a guarantee of 3 mos wages and a guarantee that I got to coach through the U.S. Open before being let go.

There is zero reason, unless the coach hit on her, that she shouldn’t be with the coach who got her through the US Open last year. 

Also, there is zero reason for her NOT to have a sports psychologist who travels with her through the end of the year. 

-she is basically losing money if she doesn’t have a psychologist with her, because her head is the #1 thing holding her back. 

On 7/28/2022 at 12:13 PM, Napoleon said:

I would want a guarantee of 3 mos wages and a guarantee that I got to coach through the U.S. Open before being let go.

There is zero reason, unless the coach hit on her, that she shouldn’t be with the coach who got her through the US Open last year. 

Also, there is zero reason for her NOT to have a sports psychologist who travels with her through the end of the year. 

-she is basically losing money if she doesn’t have a psychologist with her, because her head is the #1 thing holding her back. 

I agree. It probably didn’t help that immediately after, Forbes, cnn, and the like were claiming she’d be worth a billion dollars in endorsements with every major brand from London to Shanghai. She’s a tremendous talent, but it was clear at Wimbledon that there were some mental barriers to work through..beside the fact that she was 18. Btw, didn’t Osaka fire her coach after winning b2b majors the first time..and then fire the next coach shortly thereafter?

There’s a ton of pressure on these kids, and for every Lebron, there are dozens who crumble under the strain of unrealistic expectations. I was fortunate to get to watch Coco make her debut on Louis Armstrong as a fifteen year old. The reception for her was incredible. I can only imagine how intense the fanfare would have been if she had made it as far as Emma and Leylah did last year. Fortunately, if she has that breakthrough now, I think she is better prepared to handle everything that comes with it.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Emma/Osorio on TC now. 

Just saw this and turned it on at 4-4 in the 2nd. (Before last game.)

Emma looks focused and IN SHAPE!! 👀

She could model swimsuits, but for the tennis tan.  

EDIT: and she has served 4 faults in a row.

EDIT 2: and dumps break point into the net. 

Edited by Napoleon

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ha, playing 3 after Tiafoe blew 5 MPs. 

I don’t think that Match Points in a tie-breaker are “blown” when you are on the receiving end of a Nick Kyrgios serve.

If Tiafoe had been serving any of those Match Points, then those points could be considered “blown”.

Just my opinion. (And I know my opinion is correct in this case.)

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

WTA started the week with two decent draws. The finals, however, suck. 

DC: Kanepi v. Samsonova 

San Jose: Rogers v. Kasatkina 

If Kanepi can keep it to straight sets, she can still crush the shit out of the ball. But she’s 37 and although not the slovenly part-time athlete Serena is, 37 is still 37. She would have died mid-week in DC. 

Rogers usually isn’t steady enough to put together more than two good matches back-to-back, so I have no idea who she sacrificed to have the spirits bless her with a full week of good matches, but she’s up against Putin’s favorite lesbian, so she needs to keep this run going for one more day.