2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

RF's last match is going to be doubles with Rafa at the Laver Cup. Normally participants have to play at least one singles match also but obviously since it's his tournament little waving that. From what I gather the match will start around 3pm Friday afternoon our time on the tennis channel.

My guess is that Novak wasn’t invited. 

This post is great. 

Given her history though, it really isn't a stretch to think she had major cold feet about playing in front of an expectant Tokyo crowd, and especially against a bang-in-form top player like Hadadd-Maia. When Osaka signed up, she probably envisioned starting off against local wildcard Aki Nobodyama.

I’m stealing that name. 

• Haha 1

Halep busted for doping: https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/34845852/simona-halep-suspended-positive-doping-test-taken-us-open

Under the World Anti-Doping Code, Halep faces a ban of up to four years for a positive test for a substance such as roxadustat. Athletes can earn a reduction in their ban, likely to three years, if they quickly admit an offense and accept their sanction.

This stuff stimulates generation of red blood cells (more oxygen capacity). Great boost for tennis players. 

PSA for anyone in Ft Worth, the WTA is using the TCU indoor courts as a practice facility for the WTA Finals. It’s free for anyone to drop by and watch the ladies practice. Today when I dropped by, Coco Gauff and her team were practicing. Definitely worth checking out if you’re in the area this week and next week

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

PSA for anyone in Ft Worth, the WTA is using the TCU indoor courts as a practice facility for the WTA Finals. It’s free for anyone to drop by and watch the ladies practice. Today when I dropped by, Coco Gauff and her team were practicing. Definitely worth checking out if you’re in the area this week and next week

Cool video. Wish that Surly was better about showing the first frame from a phone video.

I have sometimes just made a short gif so that it actually appears on the page. 

If I felt like it, I would do that with video from August. Instead…

This is Kyrgios at this year’s open night of the US Open. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a6f0e9fd6f9bb833a49e589c846cb2a7.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

I just checked the official WTA website for matchups today and saw that there was a Buy Tickets tab that you can click. 

The suites for today (and probably the entire tournament) are sold out, but they still have tickets available for today's action.

These are the official prices! 

2109861795_ScreenShot2022-10-31at2_17_41PM.thumb.png.88c48e9b1f9b9a910f6dafeb3c25c7af.png

That is absolutely insane compared to what I paid to see two matches on the first night of the US Open. ($175 with fees) I was in Arthur Ashe, but a mile away in the 3rd level.

This tournament is all day of the Top 8 players in the world facing off against each other and resale tickets are going for $17 + fees and official Ticketmaster listings are $20 + fees.

Don't know if I'm going today, tomorrow, or when, but these prices are a joke!

TODAY'S ORDER OF PLAY:

image.thumb.png.78de28416fd4e46fb0406c11dde4e849.png

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2881871/wta-finals-day-1-preview-jabeur-takes-on-sabalenka-pegula-and-sakkari-face-off

Edited by Napoleon

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’m partly to blame because I live close, but it looks pretty bad on TV. 

I am in Dallas and will likely go at least once this week, but there were post-lockdown COVID tournaments in 2020 that were better attended than what I saw this evening. 👀

They should be giving away Monday->Thursday tickets to this thing. They would at least get butts in seats and probably make money off of concessions. 

• Like 1