Time to visit Waco

skipperj

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Indeed

Those were some tasty little fuckers. Did not much care for the store itself though, shady af neighborhood. I grew up not far from there and man did it ever go downhill over the years. Probably had something to do with me getting out of the 'hood. 

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Those were some tasty little fuckers. Did not much care for the store itself though, shady af neighborhood. I grew up not far from there and man did it ever go downhill over the years. Probably had something to do with me getting out of the 'hood. 

I grew up off of 19th, close to MCC. Saw the school being built when I was a kid. Got kicked out of Waco High in 1971, graduated from Richfield in 1972.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I grew up off of 19th, close to MCC. Saw the school being built when I was a kid. Got kicked out of Waco High in 1971, graduated from Richfield in 1972.

I remember being jealous that Waco High had a smoking area (Reicher grad here...). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I remember being jealous that Waco High had a smoking area (Reicher grad here...). 

I used to run around with a girl that went to Reicher. She mentioned Sister Mary Helen a lot, and said everyone called her Sister Hairy Melon, but not to her face. That was back when nuns could raise some serious fear in people. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I used to run around with a girl that went to Reicher. She mentioned Sister Mary Helen a lot, and said everyone called her Sister Hairy Melon, but not to her face. That was back when nuns could raise some serious fear in people. 

Haha, yep. Hairy Melon taught US History. I think she was from Massachusetts herself. I lived about 6 blocks or so from the school and did work at the school and the convent during the summers for the nuns. Didn't pay shit but bought me a little leeway in the classroom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Gimp said:

Damn, I was moving around on you guys’ turf.  My mom moved us over onto McKenzie in 1969.  Commuted across town so I could finish at LaVega in 1970.

Used to play church league softball at the park over there. Also did a little growing up in the pool hall on Park Lake Dr. Good times. 

The Base, the new expo center at Extraco Events Center, is scheduled to open next month with the farm, ranch and garden show. I'll be interested to see what sort of events they can attract. It's a nice addition to the complex there and a nice replacement for the old fine arts/exhibits building. I'm oddly curious to see what the acoustics will be like inside. Starting price for a day's rental is supposed to be $5,000 which isn't bad imo. 

Also the Waco gem and mineral club will be having their 62nd show at the convention center on May 1st and 2nd. My neighbor, a disabled 'Nam vet, started buying rocks a couple of years ago to learn how to cut and polish. Built his own equipment from scratch and was plugging away in a makeshift shop on his patio until he found the local club and started to use their equipment. I'm hoping he has a booth this year, his stuff is getting better and he needs the money! His metal working has been improving and he's been steady selling to friends and family. 

DSC_5776_00001.thumb.jpg.ce71bfa00d7fe5a63ed062fab1cf575a.jpgDSC_5779_00001.thumb.jpg.eab7afa3ffee0b25b42a36a0375258e0.jpgIMG_20200822_131332241.thumb.jpg.c2c6c04e0e49349e2142cd5d62b93b87.jpg1806139399_IMG_20200830_120842876(1).thumb.jpg.085bb7b3b6d0f9f33ffc4897cd4beaf2.jpgIMG_20210314_131844554.thumb.jpg.ae6ac9af6107efead49ace33b39e435b.jpgKARL3.thumb.jpg.e60a7b73fbae300188bc938bbfcd9676.jpg

Edited by El Diablo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Any updates on Heitmiller’s lately? It was our go-to stop returning from Dallas. We’d phone ahead to get the CFS take out for dinner back at home.

Tried it twice in the last 4 years and it was pretty bad both times. They closed their southern location and the one in Bellmead just isn't the same as the old location. That kind of place does better as a dive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Tried it twice in the last 4 years and it was pretty bad both times. They closed their southern location and the one in Bellmead just isn't the same as the old location. That kind of place does better as a dive.

Sad to hear. 

WACO, TX—Celebrating the team’s first NCAA Division 1 title, the Baylor men’s basketball team was unsure Wednesday how many more times their championship parade float was supposed to circle the streets of Waco. “We appreciate everyone coming out, but after seeing the Fort Fisher Park again we kind of feel like the parade has run its course,” said point guard Davion Mitchell, noting that the team had already driven by the Dr. Pepper museum four times on the parade route. “Everyone was going crazy the first time we drove past, but now people are just looking at their phones. The loop only took us 15 minutes, and that’s at 10 miles per hour. Plus, the people who are still into it are getting way too drunk—I feel like we’re enabling some bad stuff.” At press time, Mitchell and his teammates hopped off the parade float and walked back to their dorm rooms.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I concur with the Heitmiller's assessment. But we travelers through Waco are not without hope.  There's still a Luby's open along I-35 in Waco that does CFS (although I'm on team fried liver), YMMV.

I work 3 miles from that Luby's and haven't been there in 18 months. I'm a terrible person.

10 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Thinking about taking a walk across town, a photo safari of sorts. Is there a good place to cross I-35 as a pedestrian, say from the BU campus to downtown? 

Not really right now since that is the crux of the expansion project at the moment.  But 4th/5th are is probably your best bet because traffic stoppage is at a maximum.  

33 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Thinking about taking a walk across town, a photo safari of sorts. Is there a good place to cross I-35 as a pedestrian, say from the BU campus to downtown? 

Actually, I'd probably start at the law school and walk the river.  Super easy walk and you can get back up to street level at Indian Springs Park.  

48 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Actually, I'd probably start at the law school and walk the river.  Super easy walk and you can get back up to street level at Indian Springs Park.  

Tried to walk from Indian Springs TO campus a week or so ago and couldn't get past probably about where the fire tower is. Right under one of the RR bridges they've got a barricade on the river walk.

Edited by El Diablo

Just now, El Diablo said:

Tried to walk from Indian Springs TO campus a week or so ago and couldn't get past probably about where the fire tower is. Right under one of the RR bridges they're got a barricade. 

Yeah, I forgot about that.  Barricaded off until the bridge construction is done over the river.  

18 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I was wanting to walk from Oakwood to Redwood shelter. Guess that will have to wait a year or so. 

Speaking of walking. I've been curating what I consider to be the optimal path through Cameron Park. It's roughly 6 miles and a 2hr trek with some great elevation changes and you get everything the park has to offer. 

Orange is the journey out and blue is the River Trail back to the car at the redwood shelter.

CAMERON-PARK.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Speaking of walking. I've been curating what I consider to be the optimal path through Cameron Park. It's roughly 6 miles and a 2hr trek with some great elevation changes and you get everything the park has to offer. 

Orange is the journey out and blue is the River Trail back to the car at the redwood shelter.

CAMERON-PARK.jpg

Lou, I think we found the booby trapper.

J/K!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had some guys come out to redo my fence.  

I would've gone with 1st Fence but I decided to wait because the price of wood is 2.5-3x as expensive as usual.  We decided to wait.  Hopefully supply starts to meet demand

For reference we have about 100ft with steel posts.  I got bids from 2500 to 3700. 

On 4/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, SimonBolivar said:

CAMERON-PARK.jpg

The Highlander next to MCC will kick your butt. Hale Bopp and Thor over the Bat Cave  for me. Thor is a killer whether you're going up or down. On your way back, cut across the Pecan Bottoms and take Jacobs Ladder up, then the road back to UParks. Jacob's Ladder always makes my thighs feel like champagne bottles. There's not a bad path out there.