Time to visit Waco

skipperj

On 6/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, Trey3216 said:

New Helberg BBQ location on Hwy 6/185 is open  (old Valley Mills Vineyards tasting room).  Only doing sandwiches and bar-ish food at the truck from now on.  Had it last wednesday.  Good stuff.  

Good.  Tried to go to the food truck one day and all they had was sandwiches. Can't wait to try the real stuff.

Guess BBQ is moving into the old Michna's. Keep waiting for that to open

Got a FB notice that the zoo is unveiling their newest inhabitant this weekend - a Cayman Islands Blue Iguana. Wiki says that there were only 12 left in the wild 15 years ago and 10 years ago the unmanaged wild population was considered to be functionally extinct. BUT conservation efforts have managed to raise and release back some 700 of the leezards into protected areas. They get to be 5' and 30 pounds. The longest known lived specimen spent many years as a Texan and died at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville at the age of ~69.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 1:19 PM, El Diablo said:

Got a FB notice that the zoo is unveiling their newest inhabitant this weekend - a Cayman Islands Blue Iguana. Wiki says that there were only 12 left in the wild 15 years ago and 10 years ago the unmanaged wild population was considered to be functionally extinct. BUT conservation efforts have managed to raise and release back some 700 of the leezards into protected areas. They get to be 5' and 30 pounds. The longest known lived specimen spent many years as a Texan and died at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville at the age of ~69.

69!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Pretty sure beerthief happened at the parking lot between the baseball field and the Feral Sinner. SoonerFrogs set that up and that chick got punked.

Nope.  It was in the big tailgate area over by the old practice fields.  I was there with SoonerFrogs when it happened 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Went out to Valley Mills Vineyard yesterday.  Easy trip and nice enough wine with a charcuterie board.  Decent views on the side of a hill.

Will go back

I like their Tempranillo quite a bit.  I wish we could get the Mammoth Red again. Super good juice.   The GSL is pretty damn good too.   

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Nope.  It was in the big tailgate area over by the old practice fields.  I was there with SoonerFrogs when it happened 

Okay, I couldn't remember and was thinking it was in a paved lot. Hey man, you ever hear from Redfish Mike? 

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I like their Tempranillo quite a bit.  I wish we could get the Mammoth Red again. Super good juice.   The GSL is pretty damn good too.   

The GSL was different but I liked it.  The Vermentino was probably my favorite but we ended up getting a bottle of the rose

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

The GSL was different but I liked it.  The Vermentino was probably my favorite but we ended up getting a bottle of the rose

Yeah the GSL is really different, but is extremely smooth.  It has a heavy buttery taste note, but it somehow mixes well.  Great with a ribeye. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another death at BSR.  Averaging 1 a year so far.

A 42-year-old man who was unresponsive after he was pulled from the wave pool at BSR the night of July Fourth has died, officials said. The man, identified as Christopher Hayes, died Saturday evening after an apparent drowning, McLennan County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy David Kilcrease said.  Deputies responded to the Axtell-area park at about 10 p.m. Thursday, and Hayes was taken to Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center, where he was placed on life support.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/police/man-pulled-from-bsr-wave-pool-on-july-th-dies/article_4957ac8d-ecda-54c0-a5c4-495d1a446eeb.html?block_id=1367108

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

In other news I saw that Pei-Wei closed permanently yesterday ending a 12 year run(s).

It had turned to the suck about a year ago from adequate just prior. Good riddance. Hopefully the good employees found work. Waco needs good Italian and seafood.

9 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It had turned to the suck about a year ago from adequate just prior. Good riddance. Hopefully the good employees found work. Waco needs good Italian and seafood.

I only ever ate there once, probably 4 years ago and found it to be a pretty "meh" experience. I ate it but I didn't go back. Same with this place on VM, Mama Fu's. Very meh.

I grew up with friends working at Cathay House and was friends with the owners son, Charlie. The kitchen staff didn't speak a lot of English there but they were Chinese and ate well and kept the round eyed help and friends well fed too. I brought them a mess of bluegill perch once and they loved me long time.

45 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Really lacking in a lot of food options. We need real Italian, seafood, Chinese, etc...

Too many of us are in the "Olive Garden is the top date night spot" type crowd.

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Really lacking in a lot of food options. We need real Italian, seafood, Chinese, etc...

Too many of us are in the "Olive Garden is the top date night spot" type crowd.

You tried "Mariscos La Perla"?

Edited by El Diablo

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Well the wife might like it you shellfish bastard.

Last time we said screw it and went to Deckhand in Austin I ended up getting admitted to a hospital in Round Rock on the way back. I think my days of saying "fuck it I'll eat it anyway" are over.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Last time we said screw it and went to Deckhand in Austin I ended up getting admitted to a hospital in Round Rock on the way back. I think my days of saying "fuck it I'll eat it anyway" are over.

I hear ya. My son has some shellfish allergy, not real bad but it will fuck with his throat depending on type and quantity. He'll still say fuckit if he's at the coast but that's about the only time.

Union Hall on Franklin and the shipping container build they're putting together on 4th street are going to be a co-op of sorts for chefs/cooks who want a space outside of a trailer.  Union Hall will have a bar located in the middle of the space, too.

i'm anxious to see what comes of those...

I'm cautiously optimistic about Union Hall.  

We went to Hecho En Waco last week and it was not good.  That's the first time I've been when I haven't enjoyed it.  I'll try it again hopefully its better.

My wife and I were talking to the girl who owns the clothing shop next door or two door downs and she said she's opening a bar between Viteks and LaSalle.  It will be kid friendly which is awesome for us.  Sounds like it will open in the early fall.  Indoor/Outdoor place I think.  

Waco has a reader's choice poll of their fine dining options in their society magazine (yes, Waco has one).  the winner for best seafood restaurant, year in and year out, is...Red Lobster.

Which is actually more a poor reflection on the citizenry of waco, and their lack of taste than on the dearth of dining destinations in Waco.

14 minutes ago, Frank Erwin said:

Waco has a reader's choice poll of their fine dining options in their society magazine (yes, Waco has one).  the winner for best seafood restaurant, year in and year out, is...Red Lobster.

Which is actually more a poor reflection on the citizenry of waco, and their lack of taste than on the dearth of dining destinations in Waco.

this...why Friday's isn't packed, i'll never know.  but having grown up with that cuisine, it's legit.  it's not my grandma's but by far the best in the area and i have no issues saying that.

20 minutes ago, Frank Erwin said:

This is said on many levels.

Maybe we'll get some better places when that new development on New Road opens up.

1 minute ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I remember living in Waco and getting dressed up to go to Red Lobster on the weekend and having to wait in line to get in.  Water Works was where we went for special occasions.  

Water Works could be great or it could be just average, it went thru phases over its lifetime.

1 minute ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I remember living in Waco and getting dressed up to go to Red Lobster on the weekend and having to wait in line to get in.  Water Works was where we went for special occasions.  

Red Lobster was for Mothers Day only when we were kids.

I read that Water Works is going to be redeveloped into something 

3 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Their Chicken Gloria is till one of my all time favorite dishes.  I actually worked there briefly in the late eighties.  Met a lot of good people there.

Yeah, I was more into the bar scene and comedy club than the restaurant.

Waco restaurant scene is awful.  I can count on one hand which ones I will eat.  At least Waco BBQ options have stepped up in the last few years.  There is no Italian worth a damn, tex mex is nothing special with Chuys being on the top of the list.  Diamond backs has been steadily declining to the point I refuse to spend money there.  135 has actually stepped up and is the top of my list for date night.  Georges will only be good for as long as Sammy hangs in there.  Hell, even Ridgewood's is off my list now that the new chef is dishing out nothing but crap the last few months.  

God I miss the Northwood Inn.