It Was Fun While It Lasted: New Cars to Be Drunk Proof

Doc Reeves

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Bars and restaurants should have small but universal surcharges that can be pooled together (by city, county, state, whatever) and each receipt should come with an Uber code. And overnight parking tickets in bar districts should be eliminated. I can't remember how many times in college someone drove home when they shouldn't have because they didn't want to get an overnight parking ticket.

Ticket?  They’d tow your car in Austin and Dallas depending on where you parked.  Drive a little drunk or get your car towed and pay $200+  to get it out the next day was not a difficult choice.  I don’t split a bottle of wine at dinner these days without taking an Uber.

Hmmm....
Possession with Intent PG1 >4g for a bag of shrooms you and your boys collected from the pasture?
Agg Assault FV on your old man because he deserved it for what he did to your mom?
Burg Hab - felony other than theft, because you were drunk and the holed up resident needed an asskicking?
Aggravated Sexual Assault for roofy-ing that little honey?
Aggravated Robbery because you knocked down an elderly person wahooing some beer from HEB?
am I getting close?

Delivery of a CS, to wit: Lysergic acid diethylamide
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, 'stache said:

Bars and restaurants should have small but universal surcharges that can be pooled together (by city, county, state, whatever) and each receipt should come with an Uber code. And overnight parking tickets in bar districts should be eliminated. I can't remember how many times in college someone drove home when they shouldn't have because they didn't want to get an overnight parking ticket.

There's so much we could with our infrastructure to fight drunk driving, but we seem hell bent on making sure people don't drink outside of their homes, or take massive risks if they choose to do so.

• 8 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 9:28 PM, scottsins said:

I’m a licensed attorney with a DWI conviction and a first degree felony deferred adjudication on it record.
Got licensed with no probationary period (brief hearing required). Now I’m actually a prosecutor.

DWI is widely considered a crime often committed by “people that aren’t generally criminals”.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/suspect-in-deadly-galveston-crash-released-from-prison-on-previous-dwi-charge-hours-before

Ball-High-School-Avenue-O-Galveston-Keit

GALVESTON, Texas - The suspect in a deadly crash in Galveston on Friday evening was released from prison hours before after he was granted parole on a previous DWI conviction. 

However, this isn't the first charge on his record. According to court records, Brazier has three previous DWI convictions in 2016, 2018, and 2021. Records show he was released from prison for the third charge hours before the crash. 

Nelson, who had just completed baseball drills, was killed in the crash. The other three passengers in the Jeep were transported to area hospitals with serious injuries, with at least one in critical condition.

One kid dead another in a coma right now.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=817359265808440&id=100026031224701

On 12/31/2021 at 8:48 AM, ONE YARD said:

what if it fucks up in an emergency situation?  do you really want your car not staring due to thinking you a drunk while your new born is having medical emergency?

833EE1CC-C0F6-4E1F-8B3B-DDC1CD112A26.jpeg.481f1dbab4846967b8d27dcfb86ef8fc.jpeg

“Dave, there are .0004672 nano grams of alcohol currently in my sensor, so I must refuse your engine ignition sequence for the safety of you and your occupants…”

On 1/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

alcohol related driving deaths dropped by more than half while miles driven has almost tripled? Comparing 1980 to now. 

people shouldn’t drink and drive but additional laws and restrictions are about financially punishing the drunk driver and their families. 

regardless there will not be any automatic car device (active or passive) that will be installed. Congress can add some feel-good laws today but when it gets close to the required date, it will get pushed back and back.  Or “self driving” capabilities will have been added that can turn off the car of the driver starts driving poorly.

Ackshually, rather than the laws themselves, MADD's furious campaign also brought a lot of publicity as to what exactly is drunk driving (two drinks can put a lightweight at risk), and a lot of general opprobrium to the offense, and I think those two things did more to "deter" drunk driving than anything else.

Nowadays, an admission that you drove drunk or got a DWI is met with quite a bit of scorn, even among hard partiers and I think people are much more conscious about getting behind the wheel even having had only a couple of drinks.  Designated driver wasn't a thing until MADD, really.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:41 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Also, demonstrating the lack of deterrence of draconian punishment, Canada is second in the world in alcohol-related road fatalities, despite a low population density.

https://www.statista.com/chart/5504/the-worst-countries-in-the-world-for-drunk-driving/

It’s a frozen shit hole. That’s why they drink. 

hate this idea and i never drive after drinking a single alcoholic beverage. 

all those technology examples are just leaving the door open for abuse / confusion. 

passively sampling air?  what if you shithead passenger is shit faced? what if someone spilt beer on you earlier?
cameras looking for signs of drunkness?   what if you are a stroke survivor or have random face / eye issue?  hell, it’s been proven that facial recognition has issues with BIPOCs.  do you really trust it not to passively discriminate?  

what if it fucks up in an emergency situation?  do you really want your car not staring due to thinking you a drunk while your new born is having medical emergency?

In college n the 70’s the first breathalyzer machines came out for bars. We would rent one for frat parties, not for safety but as a catalyst for games and fun. We finally quit as it appeared someone was going to drink. Themselves to death to win a cheap prize.

Small towns and certain metro areas of law enforcement would hate this the most. I remember reading a local newspaper from west Colorado and the police chief was bitching about legal weed. His issue was that DWI's had plummeted and it was killing half their revenue source. He complained that they'd lose vehicles and wouldn't need as many employees and officers. He was actually distraught over this circumstance.