American Underdog - Kurt Warner's Story

immamac

52 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Thoroughly enjoyed even if it was a bit sappy at times.

True to Kurt's story. There's no sappier QB in the NFL unless you go full Tebow. BTW, you can still hear Kurt call games on Westwood One Radio.

I was out when I saw a trailer where he was playing for UNI, wearing a home jersey, and it was an outdoor game.

UNI has played in a dome since the mid 70's.  It's a very minor detail in terms of telling the story, but a super obvious one if you actually know his background.

I was out when I saw a trailer where he was playing for UNI, wearing a home jersey, and it was an outdoor game.
UNI has played in a dome since the mid 70's.  It's a very minor detail in terms of telling the story, but a super obvious one if you actually know his background.

You mean like how in the Friday Night Lights movie Permian played Carter in the Dome when in reality I watched them play live at DKR in Austin?

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

You mean like how in the Friday Night Lights movie Permian played Carter in the Dome when in reality I watched them play live at DKR in Austin?

I wouldn't have known that, but yeah, exactly.  I'll never understand why even quality film makers can't get that shit right.

The example of this that always irks me is in Fargo.  When Frances McDormand goes out to investigate the murder, she's a cop in Brainerd.  Brainerd is in the deep, deep woods.  She's clearly out on the plains when she finds the car.  Which is the accurate geographic setting for the actual city of Fargo, but NOT for Brainerd.  Brainerd is a solid 1.5 hours from the type of place she goes to investigate that murder, and as a Brainerd city cop, she would never be patrolling out there.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

🙄  

Getting all up in arms about a plot point that has ZERO to do with the storyline.

It's not like domed stadiums are on every street corner and this was not a big-budget production.  They have a filming schedule and a budget and if a domed stadium is not convenient to both, what are they supposed to do?  

Getting all up in arms about a plot point that has ZERO to do with the storyline.
It's not like domed stadiums are on every street corner and this was not a big-budget production.  They have a filming schedule and a budget and if a domed stadium is not convenient to both, what are they supposed to do?  

Yeah, I’m not really up in arms, but it just immediately stood out to me as a flubbed detail

It’s a deal killer RE: the FNL movie IMO.

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And it appeared both the Packers and Rams shared the same practice facility. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw it on a flight too.  Almost too sappy, but never crossed the line.  Zach Levi did very well and had good chemistry with Paquin. 

Yeah not a lot of football and I'm OK with that.  But...I'd like to know more about how is time in Arena football made him so good for Martz's offense.

And was Gus Johnson calling NFL games back in 1999?  I presume not.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Saw it on a flight too.  Almost too sappy, but never crossed the line.  Zach Levi did very well and had good chemistry with Paquin. 

Yeah not a lot of football and I'm OK with that.  But...I'd like to know more about how is time in Arena football made him so good for Martz's offense.

And was Gus Johnson calling NFL games back in 1999?  I presume not.

All I could gather from the movie was the quick QB drop and speed of the Arena game for making decisions is what led him to Martz.

Saying the speed of the Arena game compared to the NFL sounds funny but the Arena coach kept telling Warner to hurry up.

I haven’t done any reading on the subject but this is my guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

All I could gather from the movie was the quick QB drop and speed of the Arena game for making decisions is what led him to Martz.

Saying the speed of the Arena game compared to the NFL sounds funny but the Arena coach kept telling Warner to hurry up.

I haven’t done any reading on the subject but this is my guess.

I think this is true. The arena game is so compressed and so fast paced I could see it being helpful for a QB getting reps under constant pressure to get the ball out. 

• 5 months later...

Saw it last night. 

Anyone familiar with the Oklahoma City metro area had to get a mild kick out of the locations. The Rams and UNI field was clearly UCO in Edmond (didn't think to cover up the logo?) and the Arena League action was obviously the State Fairgrounds. They're tearing that arena down pretty soon so kind of cool to get that on film. Believe it or not, a lot of hockey greats and Stanley Cup winners played in that barn (Cheevers, Sanderson, Cashman, Pronovost, Parise, Parent, Crisp, Goldsworthy, Sather, Leach, Lonsberry, Dallas Smith, etc. etc.)

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke

On 3/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Parliament said:

But...I'd like to know more about how is time in Arena football made him so good for Martz's offense.

Everyone remember Martz's "greatest show on turf" offense with Holt, Bruce, and Hakim?

It was a "pass first" offense that didn't rely on the running game to set up the PA passing attack.  The QB had to be laser-accurate and get the ball out immediately.  Martz established passing schemes typically utilized on obvious 3rd down passing scenarios.  They worked so well his thought was why the hell are we not using these on every down?  But the QB accuracy was paramount, so Warner's time threading balls into confined spaces under duress seemed to be the perfect fit from his Arena days.