College Football Is Stale and Boring

Vic Mackey

Did not watch, caught up on Yellowstone, damn those Dutton's are ruthless. Hoping that joining SEC will improve things some over all when it comes to the playoffs, do not want to see the BS with Bama versus another SEC team rematch. Scary part is that conferences cannot agree on a format and SECSECSEC is holding out to try and get more SEC teams into the playoff and not going for the autobid for conf winners.  Meanwhile stuck with 4 team playoff SEC love fest.

Edited by chitown bevo

These rematches are just annoying and obnoxious. In no other sport will there ever be a rematch between two teams within the same postseason. It's so asinine that it's ridiculous to even have to point that out. The fact that college football does not count CCG as the same postseason is just absurd. Is UGA really considered better than Bama because they beat them a month after they lost to them? If they are considered a different part of the post season I really do not understand the point of CCGs (from a competitive standpoint, I get the $$$ bullshit). To me that is the dumbest part of all this, that conference championships mean so little to postseasons and the national championship.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Well, they lost to a shitty ag team in 2021.  Maybe we'll be the ones to cockroach them in 2022.

With the way our OL plays, doubtful we gain positive yardage at all. Then at some point the D will have to take the field. Just horribad.

77-0 in 3Q ala ou and aggy wouldn’t surprise me at all.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They are going to beat the shit out of us.

They probably will.

One recruiting cycle is not going to fix the massive holes left in our roster from the last 5 years of shitty trench recruiting.  We will lose because Alabama's OL and DL will destroy our shitty ones because we aren't remotely close to their level yet. 

Luckily, most of the Big 12 does not have Alabama's lines so outside of that game, our OL should be serviceable enough for Ewers and Bijan to be somewhat successful in our shitty conference. 

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

With the way our OL plays, doubtful we gain positive yardage at all. Then at some point the D will have to take the field. Just horribad.

Crazy it will be Bama's first OoC game west of Arlington since 2002 (at OU).  Saban has only had one home & home with a P5 opponent since he's been with Bama: 2010 & 2011 with Penn State. 

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So how does the pancake factory work?  Do all OL get the 50k, including those that played so poorly for the last few years?  Or only new OL recruits?

If your prediction is accurate that the OL won't be able to muster any positive yardage, just remember that it is a 250k OL (plus reserves?) that you're watching.  That'll make you feel better.

i lost interest in watching college football after i really got into watching soccer, and it's for a pretty simple and obvious reason.

watching soccer: 45 minutes of action, 15 minute half time, 45 minutes of action, game over.

watching college football: 4 1/2 hours of start, stop, flag, review, commercial, coach's challenge, commercial, score, commercial, kickoff, commercial, flag, commercial, punt, commercial, flags, reviews, commercials, etc.

watching college football is like punishment compared to watching most other sports. drives me fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

SEC is such an overrated conference. I can't wait to blow the fuck out of Alabama next season. If Baylor and Tech can roll over the Mississippi idiots, this will be a piece of cake. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. That's some funny shit, you on the way to the top... you the next Lenny Bruce.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

These rematches are just annoying and obnoxious. In no other sport will there ever be a rematch between two teams within the same postseason. It's so asinine that it's ridiculous to even have to point that out. The fact that college football does not count CCG as the same postseason is just absurd. Is UGA really considered better than Bama because they beat them a month after they lost to them? If they are considered a different part of the post season I really do not understand the point of CCGs (from a competitive standpoint, I get the $$$ bullshit). To me that is the dumbest part of all this, that conference championships mean so little to postseasons and the national championship.

If NCAA basketball really that much different? Duke can beat UNC in their postseason conference championship tournament, and it means exactly fuck all except for seeding. They can meet in the title game a month later, UNC can win, and not a single person would be saying "best out of 3."

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If NCAA basketball really that much different? Duke can beat UNC in their postseason conference championship tournament, and it means exactly fuck all except for seeding. They can meet in the title game a month later, UNC can win, and not a single person would be saying "best out of 3."

Well the answer to that is of course-- yes.

Basketball and football are different.  People clearly have different aspirations and expectations for the respective seasons, or else sentiments like the one 'stache expressed wouldn't exist.  And that sentiment not only exists, but is ubiquitous among college football fans.

If you want to argue they SHOULD be treated the same, then that's certainly something you could do.  But you'll get plenty of opposition to that opinion.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Duke and UNC still have to win five ncaa tourney games to meet again, and four of those five games will be against good-elite teams. Bama goes out and gets a cakewalk opponent in Cincinnati, and UGA just boat races a big 10 school that's out of its depth and suddenly the title game is a rematch of two teams that just played each other one game ago. that's not compelling at all compared to the ncaa tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i lost interest in watching college football after i really got into watching soccer, and it's for a pretty simple and obvious reason.

watching soccer: 45 minutes of action, 15 minute half time, 45 minutes of action, game over.

watching college football: 4 1/2 hours of start, stop, flag, review, commercial, coach's challenge, commercial, score, commercial, kickoff, commercial, flag, commercial, punt, commercial, flags, reviews, commercials, etc.

watching college football is like punishment compared to watching most other sports. drives me fucking nuts.

Yep. This is what really got me into F1. As well, with stuff going in Europe you can watch first thing in the morning and have the rest of your day to enjoy. Last night's game had a "start" time of 7:00. The end was nearly 11 p.m. So a four-hour game.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yes, they set up so that conference mates don't meet until later rounds, so it's very unlikely that they will rematch. If they do, it will be after several knockout rounds. A four team playoff, especially this year, almost guaranteed a near immediate rematch. I think it's very different, but I do acknowledge at least a little similarity. I think the tournament setup makes it more legitimate.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep. This is what really got me into F1. As well, with stuff going in Europe you can watch first thing in the morning and have the rest of your day to enjoy. Last night's game had a "start" time of 7:00. The end was nearly 11 p.m. So a four-hour game.

On a work/school night no less. I don't watch MNF anymore because I fucking grew up. I don't know how people do it. Maybe my body just needs more sleep than others.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

On a work/school night no less. I don't watch MNF anymore because I fucking grew up. I don't know how people do it. Maybe my body just needs more sleep than others.

Agreed. Having the championship game on a weeknight is stupid. Have it on a Saturday where College Football games belong. If it must be on a weekday, put it on Friday

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

"Action?"

Any sport is exciting to watch if you’re into it, same way any sport is boring to watch if you’re not really into it. For whatever reason soccer fans in particular lose their fucking minds if you say you find it boring at all or uninteresting.

• Hook 'Em 2

So how does the pancake factory work?  Do all OL get the 50k, including those that played so poorly for the last few years?  Or only new OL recruits?
If your prediction is accurate that the OL won't be able to muster any positive yardage, just remember that it is a 250k OL (plus reserves?) that you're watching.  That'll make you feel better.

I presume you watched some of the games this past season?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

43 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

"Action?"

reviento-que.gif

soccer-dive-headbutts.gif

Moros-Rapinoe-flop.gif

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

"Action?"

lol, the irony of this post. "tell me you've never watched soccer without telling me you've never watched soccer". american tackle football has "action" the same way baseball does- very sporadically and with a shit ton of stoppages in between. 

wake me up the next time a football game can do this:

edited to add- there were hundreds of millions of dollars on the line for these two clubs in this match. but i suppose that's nothing exciting compared to watching UGA and Bama exchange field goals all night, right after they both had just played each other. lol.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

american tackle football fans making fun of soccer will never not be hilarious to me. you spend 11am to 3 pm on a saturday afternoon watching Iowa beat Northwestern 13-10 and then you laugh at soccer.

You're on a football (American college football, in case you're confused) board.  Defending soccer. Bold strategy, Cotton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I love ya, Derka, but now's certainly not the time.

The notion that soccer is nonstop tacking/passing/ fast breaks is laughable.  Most folks in this thread also don't give a fuck about soccer by way of comparison with football.

Might as well come to West Texas and convince us the wind doesn't really blow that much out here.

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

You're on a football (American college football, in case you're confused) board.  Defending soccer. Bold strategy, Cotton.

it's a thread about college football being stale and boring. what better way to emphasize that point than by pointing out how american tackle football games are over four hours long with literally 5-6x more stoppages/commercials than on-field action. like i said, you get used to watching soccer where the clock never stops, and suddenly you realize that being bombarded with commercials, pre game concerts, half time concerts, reviews, challenges, 27 yellow flags, etc isn't nearly as fun as you once thought it was.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, the irony of this post. "tell me you've never watched soccer without telling me you've never watched soccer". american tackle football has "action" the same way baseball does- very sporadically and with a shit ton of stoppages in between. 

wake me up the next time a football game can do this:

Epic finish for sure, but didn’t that happen like 6 years ago? Most soccer games don’t end anything like that. You won’t find atmospheres like that in the US because we (thankfully) overall don’t have that level of passion about a sport. Fewer riots & no stadium-wide racist chants for us.

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

american tackle football fans making fun of soccer will never not be hilarious to me. you spend 11am to 3 pm on a saturday afternoon watching Iowa beat Northwestern 13-10 and then you laugh at soccer.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's a thread about college football being stale and boring. what better way to emphasize that point than by pointing out how american tackle football games are over four hours long with literally 5-6x more stoppages/commercials than on-field action. like i said, you get used to watching soccer where the clock never stops, and suddenly you realize that being bombarded with commercials, pre game concerts, half time concerts, reviews, and 27 yellow flags etc isn't nearly as fun as you once thought it was.

Greg Soccer GIF - Greg Soccer Calmdown - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Epic finish for sure, but didn’t that happen like 6 years ago? Most soccer games don’t end anything like that. You won’t find atmospheres like that in the US because we (thankfully) overall don’t have that level of passion about a sport. Fewer riots & no stadium-wide racist chants for us.

i don't disagree with what you've said, just pointing out that the action on the field during a soccer match can be every bit as compelling as the action in an american tackle football game- and without all of the stoppages.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't disagree with what you've said, just pointing out that the action on the field during a soccer match can be every bit as compelling as the action in an american tackle football game- and without all of the stoppages.

I actually think stopping/starting the clock would be much better and make more sense than the stoppage time system. But that’s just my Americanized opinion.

I’d say we should get the thread back on topic but I think it’s run it’s course anyway.

Soccer's rolling clock time format gets an A+ from me.  I'd rather watch American football because that's the sport I watch the most and understand the most, but casually watching soccer isn't unbearable imo.  I at least get the appeal from that standpoint, but if you are going to become a "fan" of any sport it's going to result in hours upon hours of consumption and a lot of that is going to be mundane nuances that a non fan will always find ridiculous.  

I don't care much for pissing contests, watch what you like, whether its soccer, football, or water polo. I will take exception though with the "nonstop action" comment. Just because the clock doesn't stop doesn't mean "nonstop action" by my definition. It seems that most of a soccer match is back and forth passing with only a handful of actual moments when something breaks through and a goal becomes possible. The time in between is no different in my opinion than the time between pitches in baseball or between plays in American football. Baseball is fun for people who are really into pitching strategy, some football fans are really into breaking down formations and strategies between plays, and I'm sure soccer fans are really into the strategies going on between the exciting plays. Saying one is better than another is asinine. It's all personal opinion, much of which likely has to do with what you played growing up. I can appreciate baseball more because I came to understand pitching. I don't enjoy wrestling matches because I have no background in what the hell is going in as far as points being scored. I also laugh at posting the video above, within the first minute a guy gets a penalty shot for a flop. It's one thing to get free two free throws in basketball in games that regularly go into the 100s, but a penalty kick when scores are often 1-0 seems like a huge deal. I understand why those refs get threats all the time. Seems really easy to give teams massive advantages with a single call.

Edited by 'stache