College Football Is Stale and Boring

Vic Mackey

I find CFB regular season to in general be more exciting than the NFL regular season. Totally flips in regards to postseason though. 

Also I hope the “recruiting stars don’t matter” people stfu forever. Year after year you see why they matter more than almost anything. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Helobious said:

I find CFB regular season to in gebaeral be more exciting than the NFL regular season. Totally flips in regards to postseason though. 

Also I hope the “stars don’t matter” peopld stfu forever. Year after year you see why they matter more than almost anything. 

Jimmies n Joes in college

Xs and Os in the pros

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I hope all of you realize that fans of other teams look at threads like this and laugh their fucking asses off. 

The lack of self-awareness in here is astounding. Do you think Baylor is bitching about the current state of cfb after pimping Texas and Oklahoma for the B12 crown? Our fanbase is so fucking embarassing sometimes. 

I hope you realize that if you worry about what fans of other teams think when they read threads here then you're a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't read any of the replies yet but I'm offering my HSO's anyways. We need to quickly go to a 12 or 16-team playoff. The 4-team playoff is an abject disaster. The best kids want to play for the schools in the playoff -- that's Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and a couple of interlopers here and there. They go every year and therefore gobble up the talent. The bowls have been gutted by players (and teams, aggy) opting out so who gives a fuck moving forward. They're done. Just get 16 (or 12 teams) together, incorporate how many bowls you need to set the bracket, and play a tournament. The other 25+ bowls can invite teams to come play but some players will sit out. That's where we are now.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I hope you realize that if you worry about what fans of other teams think when they read threads here then you're a pussy.

I don't worry about it. You're welcome to call me a pussy straight up instead of disguising it. 

Anyways - happy new years Huck. May 2022 change nothing about us and let us continue being the assholes we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't read any of the replies yet but I'm offering my HSO's anyways. We need to quickly go to a 12 or 16-team playoff. The 4-team playoff is an abject disaster. The best kids want to play for the schools in the playoff -- that's Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and a couple of interlopers here and there. They go every year and therefore gobble up the talent. The bowls have been gutted by players (and teams, aggy) opting out so who gives a fuck moving forward. They're done. Just get 16 (or 12 teams) together, incorporate how many bowls you need to set the bracket, and play a tournament. The other 25+ bowls can invite teams to come play but some players will sit out. That's where we are now.

We've recruited just as well as OU over the years. Not to the level of Bama/UGA/Clemson (although that could change with NIL), but not far behind. Our problem is that we've squandered more talent than any program in the country. I don't really care if they expand the playoff or not, but it's not going to fix Texas' problems.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, TXpride said:

We've recruited just as well as OU over the years. Not to the level of Bama/UGA/Clemson (although that could change with NIL), but not far behind. Our problem is that we've squandered more talent than any program in the country. I don't really care if they expand the playoff or not, but it's not going to fix Texas' problems.

Forget OU and Georgia. Bama, Clemson and Ohio State have just gobbled up talent because they get in the Final Four nearly every year. It's become a very select group that get in the playoffs at a consistent clip and the recruiting bears that out. Of course there are other things in play but the fact remains the playoff needs to be expanded ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

How is a sport where the same team wins the championship every year not a joke? I think Saban's a great coach but come on. It's a joke. The sport is broken. And it's why college football needs a commissioner.

Nothing's broken. Alabama and Saban are just that good. These things happen.  The NFL isn't broken because Brady has 7 titles across 2 teams. Golf wasn't broken when Tiger won 4 straight majors and x out of x for his first 10 or 12 majors or whatever the window was. MJ and the Bulls didn't break the NBA when they won 6 out of 8. The champions league wasn't broken when Ronaldo and Real Madrid won 3 straight. 

Excellence happens and it should be celebrated but it should also be challenged. Dynasties come and go and they get figured out. This Saban/Alabama era is impressive but it isn't inconceivable. Personally I think Georgia is going to beat them in the title game but even if they don't so what? Alabama isn't manipulating the rules or doing anything under the table to guarantee year over year dominance. They're just that fucking awesome at winning football games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TXpride said:

when Texas landed the qb transfer, my dad and I started firing off past hs star qbs at Texas. It was a long list of failure 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Has recruiting ever been this concentrated amongst just a few schools? I don't follow it as closely as I did in the 00s, but  I don't remember a time when 3 or 4 schools routinely locked up such a high % of the top 100. Bama, Georgia, & Ohio St dominate recruiting like no other period of time before. They get 3 or 4 five star players seemingly every year. Then throw in another 15 years of SEC propaganda and lesser teams like Kentucky tend to recruit way above their historical weight which hurts schools like Michigan and Michigan St that recruit Ohio kids who dont go to Ohio St.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nothing's broken. Alabama and Saban are just that good. These things happen.  The NFL isn't broken because Brady has 7 titles across 2 teams. Golf wasn't broken when Tiger won 4 straight majors and x out of x for his first 10 or 12 majors or whatever the window was. MJ and the Bulls didn't break the NBA when they won 6 out of 8. The champions league wasn't broken when Ronaldo and Real Madrid won 3 straight. 

Excellence happens and it should be celebrated but it should also be challenged. Dynasties come and go and they get figured out. This Saban/Alabama era is impressive but it isn't inconceivable. Personally I think Georgia is going to beat them in the title game but even if they don't so what? Alabama isn't manipulating the rules or doing anything under the table to guarantee year over year dominance. They're just that fucking awesome at winning football games. 

There is nothing wrong with Alabama. The problem is college football and the lack of any real organization or official oversight.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, I put together a hypothetical BCS bowl slate for this year and damned if it’s not better in every way than the CFP, and I think more interesting than even a 12 team playoff.

BCS NC (Orange) : Bama vs. Michigan- Two one loss conference champion helmet schools. Yes UGA is better, but no, I don’t want to see the same game a month later. 

Sugar- UGA vs. Notre Dame- Party like it’s 1980!  Again, UGA is clearly better, but these things happen in bowl games. Plus, we’re trying to avoid rematches.  This is the least interesting game but from a history and tradition standpoint it’s got what you want. 

Rose- tOSU vs. Cincy- This is a great freaking matchup and honestly, isn’t the chance to punch in-state big brother in the mouth at a BCS bowl more fun than the chance to get slowly strangled by Alabama in a semifinal? I’d bet the matchup would be better for Cincy recruiting, too. 

Fiesta- Utah vs. Oklahoma State

Cotton- Baylor vs. Pitt 

You could mix and match Fiesta and Cotton and it would still be interesting. Winning your conference means something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I don't follow this logic at all. If all the talented players wanted to just go to the playoff, Georgia (or any other SEC team) would never get any talent as they all have the hardest path to the playoff (most years) because of Alabama. Also, you claim Georgia always gets to the playoffs, and therefor gobbles up all the talent, yet this is only their second appearance in 8 years. And you say the 4-team playoff is an abject disaster, yet it has worked out right pretty much every single year. Does not compute.

Playoff appearances over 8 years...

Alabama - 7
Clemson - 6
Ohio St - 4
Oklahoma - 4

Georgia - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Oregon - 1
Florida St - 1
Michigan St - 1
Washington - 1
LSU - 1
Michigan - 1
Cincinnati - 1

College football has a parity problem. Not sure how expanding the playoff is going to change that. Maybe NIL will help it?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don't follow this logic at all. If all the talented players wanted to just go to the playoff, Georgia (or any other SEC team) would never get any talent as they all have the hardest path to the playoff (most years) because of Alabama. Also, you claim Georgia always gets to the playoffs, and therefor gobbles up all the talent, yet this is only their second appearance in 8 years. And you say the 4-team playoff is an abject disaster, yet it has worked out right pretty much every single year. Does not compute.

Alabama - 7
Clemson - 6
Ohio St - 4
Oklahoma - 4

Georgia - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Oregon - 1
Florida St - 1
Michigan St - 1
Washington - 1
LSU - 1
Michigan - 1
Cincinnati - 1

College football has a parity problem. Not sure how expanding the playoff is going to change that. Maybe NIL will help it?

It’s been fascinating the shift in argument from “we need an expanded playoff to know who the real champion is” to “shit, we know who the champion is and don’t want them to be anymore.” 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t know if expanding the playoff would necessarily benefit for parity purposes right away, but it would at least keep things more interesting for fans than it currently appears to be doing. 8 teams seems right. Every power 5 champ gets a representative, and then 3 at large bids. Winning your conference means something, as each conference winner gets a seat, and for years where a conference has multiple high powered teams, there are still 3 spots up for grabs.

As it currently sits, once a conference has its top dog lose 2 games, you can all but kiss your chances of making it goodbye. The Autobids would nullify that exclusion. Sure, it wouldn’t ALWAYS get the best 8 representatives playing at end of year, but you had a chance to win your conference, so no griping . Leave it up to getting an auto bid, and the chips fall where they may🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by The Deuce

The decline of my love for college football began with the Leach departure from Tech, the unsubstantiated charges, and the way the national media outlets just ran with the false narrative. 

That trajectory has been exponentially compounded by the corruption by 3-letter boxing affiliate-like administration of P5 Championship process, the realignment shifts predating the current ones back to the Pac 12 one that got miraculously shit-canned in the 11th hour,   and the inconsistent as hell enforcement of rules, especially regarding recruiting/ pay for play infractions( I actually have no problem with the NIL process..)

I have said it many times that I love college football.  I just hate the BUSINESS of college football.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Farmerted said:

That was the most boring 8 hours of football I have never watched 

Yep. I was driving home 7 hours yesterday and listened to the first quarter of the first game and switched to Joe Rogan when it became clear what the result would be. Did the same for the second game and also about 10 minutes of the third quarter after my podcast ran out. Then I found another podcast. 

Very boring for anyone who wasn't a fan of one of those four schools.... although I'm sure aggy is feeling really good today having avoided getting thrashed by Wake and seeing both of their big brothers dismantle the opposition. 

NIL eventually has to play a role in all of this and I think for the benefit of smaller programs. I'm just trying to imagine myself as an 18 year old star athlete. Would I want to go to a big school like Texas or Alabama and share the spotlight with other stars? Or would I be better off going to a smaller program that rarely sees success like Central Michigan or Texas A&M? I would be a big fish in a little pond and go down as a legend for bringing the program to the big boy playoff. 

College football just needs a commissioner. 

My interest has been declining.  I don't know how much of that is due to Texas's poor performance for over a decade running, and how much is due to the decline in parity. 

The latter is only in part due to the NCAA failing to curb player purchasing, the other half of it is the unregulated "non-coaching" staff spending where some programs have been spending tens of millions more per year on "analysts" and scouts.

Alabama made the decision to outspend everyone else on football, this despite the fact that their total athletic department revenue is lower than a lot of large state universities.  NIL may help a few schools with wealthy donors buy a few players, but it doesn't necessarily close a $10, $20, or $30 million dollar gap in "analysts" and talent scouts.

Edited by El Hornarino
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

I don’t know if expanding the playoff would necessarily benefit for parity purposes right away, but it would at least keep things more interesting for fans than it currently appears to be doing. 8 teams seems right. Every power 5 champ gets a representative, and then 3 at large bids. Winning your conference means something, as each conference winner gets a seat, and for years where a conference has multiple high powered teams, there are still 3 spots up for grabs.

As it currently sits, once a conference has its top dog lose 2 games, you can all but kiss your chances of making it goodbye. The Autobids would nullify that exclusion. Sure, it wouldn’t ALWAYS get the best 8 representatives playing at end of year, but you had a chance to win your conference, so no griping . Leave it up to getting an auto bid, and the chips fall where they may🤷🏼‍♂️

Literally every single innovation made over the past few years has decreased parity and is working exactly as expected. From playoffs to transfers to NIL.  There are some true radical changes that could be made that would make the sport healthier and long-term more sure.  Things like salary caps for coaching staffs, non-compete clauses, revenue sharing across conferences, and standard salaries for players based on seniority and making a roster, and transfer rules somewhere in the middle of where they are now.  This is how pro leagues do it.  CFB has taken all of the unfettered business logic of pro sports with none of the checks in place the pros have to keep the sport healthy and interesting.

The decisions being made are literally like that scene in A Beautiful Mind where all the dudes push all their chips in to chase the hottest girl. And yeah, one alpha dog will take her home, but the rest will be scheduling a date with hand lotion. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Everyone will love playoff expansion until Alabama and Georgia make the championship game.....again. 

Their making it doesn't bother me.  The straight up exclusionary manner in which the limited field is chosen is pure bullshit.  It'd be like having 8 teams in March Madness.  They're the only ones who have a REAL chance; but there's absolutely no enjoyment whatsoever of the other games, right?

The bowl games suck overall.  Expanded playoffs could incorporate the bigger bowls and the "play-along" bowls could still be what they are-  games about which most people give zero fucks.

Edited by slorch

Salary caps, budget/debt ceilings, staff limits, temporary reductions in scholarships if you win it all.

If you let it become a pro sport, then you have to legislate it like a pro sport.  The NCAA is a joke relative to football and needs to be rethought.  It does not “do” anything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Literally every single innovation made over the past few years has decreased parity and is working exactly as expected. From playoffs to transfers to NIL.  There are some true radical changes that could be made that would make the sport healthier and long-term more sure.  Things like salary caps for coaching staffs, non-compete clauses, revenue sharing across conferences, and standard salaries for players based on seniority and making a roster, and transfer rules somewhere in the middle of where they are now.  This is how pro leagues do it.  CFB has taken all of the unfettered business logic of pro sports with none of the checks in place the pros have to keep the sport healthy and interesting.

The decisions being made are literally like that scene in A Beautiful Mind where all the dudes push all their chips in to chase the hottest girl. And yeah, one alpha dog will take her home, but the rest will be scheduling a date with hand lotion. 

All of those things can work under a system where there are rules....college football literally lets teams make their own schedules.

There used to be rules. Then those rules stopped applying to certain schools. Then those rules only started applying for schools who were egregious about their rulebreaking. Now there are no rules. You can do whatever you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

History shows us NCAA football hasn't really changed a lot but the teams at the top have switched.  We dominated the SWC with an occasional kick in the ass from piggies, OU and Nebraska totally ruled the Big 8 for decades until KSU finally raised their hand.  OSU and Michigan owned the Big 10 and USC/UCLA dominated out west until Stanford and Oregon came along.

Lately the playoffs have brought a new level of discord because the GD SEC is currently on top and will probably stay there.

44 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s been fascinating the shift in argument from “we need an expanded playoff to know who the real champion is” to “shit, we know who the champion is and don’t want them to be anymore.” 

It’s been fascinating to see certain people say things like this as if they’re quoting the same people…like they’ve been caught in some very obvious contradiction…and that it’s so widespread.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Here are mine.  

1) Conference champions only. None of this bullshit second chance for Bama (or Georgia or LSU or Florida).... the two best teams from one conference already get to play each other in the CCG if they didn't already play in their division. That should be it. Under that scenario Georgia choked in December. Too bad. Your conference is too big and too badass for you to expect to ever win it? Then change conferences. 

2) Put all of the games on campus, or if you really need the money from a title game, move it around like the NFL has finally started doing with the super bowl. You can play the final in Miami or LA or a dome in some years, but you also need to rotate in outdoor games in New York or Chicago or Seattle or Denver in others.

3) Give guaranteed bids to certain conferences and then fill out the field with wild cards from other conferences or conferences without a CCG. Go 5+3 with wildcards from the G5. Play the first round immediately after CCG weekend and then let the losers accept bowl invitations and structure the final four the same way it is now. 

I think the biggest issue for the common fan is that the current system devalues conference championships. Bama versus Michigan for the natty would be fun to watch, even if it weren't competitive. Throw in two other teams from two other conferences and that would be compelling too. But setting up a rematch - even if those are the two best teams on paper - isn't as much fun. I'd much rather have seen Baylor in that game than Georgia, even if Georgia were better on paper.

All that being said, someone said above that the sport was ruined by ESPN nationalizing it, and I think that is very insightful. It's all about the money now and haves and have-nots I don't see how that gets corrected, which is a much bigger discussion than just the playoff. 

• Like 2

I would have to think that if you had the 12 team format that talent would eventually spread itself out more evenly as you’d have to think more regional powers would evolve if there was a much better chance to make a playoff appearance by winning your conference. As good as Saban is the stockpiling of talent is a bigger advantage than anything else. Change that and it becomes a much more balanced sport and guys can take chances on going places other than The top 6 or 8 schools out there. 
make winning the conference important. Give the G5 schools an entry to building. A dynasty and program the way Gonzaga has been allowed to bc of the nature of making the NCAA tournament and things would be more fun, I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sort of agree here.  I mean, ESPN has reinforced and amplified that only a small minority of teams are worthy of playing big-boy cfb, and that most of those are in the SEC-SEC-SEC.  I think a wider playoff format with conference champions and the best “others” might even things out eventually.

But you are spot on about some of the unprecedented greatness we are seeing currently.  It’s been sustained, so we lose perspective of what Corch Saban or Tom Brady are doing (and have done for many years now).  They are freaks, and if they mated it might be like the whole ring of fire in the Pacific erupting at once.  Would end life as we know it, kill us all.  Seas would rise, skies would cloud with ash, the climate would cool.  Ice ages and stuff.  But eventually a new world would emerge.  Probably with dinosaurs.  That is the level of GOATness we’re dealing with here.  Marvel in it, and hide from the t-rexes.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

this is the core of the Klatt argument.  it's like deregulation of the airlines or utilities.  consolidation and concentration of wealth by the 1% is not just a function of late-stage capitalism.  systems create gravity which feeds on itself until it reaches a singularity, and collapses in to a black hole, which in this case is saban.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Forget OU and Georgia. Bama, Clemson and Ohio State have just gobbled up talent because they get in the Final Four nearly every year. It's become a very select group that get in the playoffs at a consistent clip and the recruiting bears that out. Of course there are other things in play but the fact remains the playoff needs to be expanded ASAP.

There have always been teams that gobbled up the talent. What Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State have done is nothing new. We did the same thing in the 2000s. The "problem" is that Bama is just too fucking good.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would have to think that if you had the 12 team format that talent would eventually spread itself out more evenly as you’d have to think more regional powers would evolve if there was a much better chance to make a playoff appearance by winning your conference. As good as Saban is the stockpiling of talent is a bigger advantage than anything else. Change that and it becomes a much more balanced sport and guys can take chances on going places other than The top 6 or 8 schools out there. 
make winning the conference important. Give the G5 schools an entry to building. A dynasty and program the way Gonzaga has been allowed to bc of the nature of making the NCAA tournament and things would be more fun, I think. 

Honestly I think a high school recruit has the playoff well down the list of reasons they sign - current money in the pocket, playing time, NFL aspirations.

how in the hell did the Aggies get such a recruiting class?  Only one reason.  Let’s be honest, why would anyone want to sign with us?  There are reasons but money separates us.

Moving forward the stockpiling of talent will likely become less balanced.  Only those willing and able to play at the highest of levels will win out.  Who gives a shit if Jackson State grabs a guy.  It takes a team of mercenaries to beat a team of mercenaries consistently.

Saban is a great coach, but he’s doing what he is because the SEC does what they can to overrun everyone else but more importantly the NCAA ignores the bullshit that mostly the SEC chooses to engage in.  All that results in the stockpiling of talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I hope all of you realize that fans of other teams look at threads like this and laugh their fucking asses off. 

The lack of self-awareness in here is astounding. Do you think Baylor is bitching about the current state of cfb after pimping Texas and Oklahoma for the B12 crown? Our fanbase is so fucking embarassing sometimes. 

Baylor (and Okie state maybe) would be in the CFP with an 8 team format and I like either’s chances vs any of the current 4 except UGA

Remember bama had to go to OT to beat Florida, lost to A&M, and was a brain fart by the RB from watching a one legged backup auburn QB end that game in the victory formation. 

In an 8 team format I’m not sure they make the final game. In a 16 team format I don’t think they do. 

Georgia otoh likely makes the final no matter what unless bama is in their bracket. They just seem to have a mental block vs the tide

postseason would be much better w 8 teams in

Edited by Sawbonz

26 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is the core of the Klatt argument.  it's like deregulation of the airlines or utilities.  consolidation and concentration of wealth by the 1% is not just a function of late-stage capitalism.  systems create gravity which feeds on itself until it reaches a singularity, and collapses in to a black hole, which in this case is saban.

A playoff is a mechanism of selecting a champion and not a mechanism of promoting parity. If it did, it would be a side impact and if that’s your goal, then it’s a roundabout way of accomplishing it.

The issue is glaring and simple: big southern schools care a bunch more about football than most other schools and will spend stupid money on it and let football become the reason for the school’s existence. Every incentive is in place for them to do that. 

If you want parity in CFB, then start with parity. Begin with a strict cap on football staff numbers, overall football staff salary cap, and an annual limit on football operations spending, pro-rated to allow for travel.  

See how fast things start to balance and traditional academic schools start doing better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Baylor (and Okie state maybe) would be in the CFP with an 8 team format and I like either’s chances vs any of the current 4 except UGA

Remember bama had to go to OT to beat Florida, lost to A&M, and was a brain fart by the RB from watching a one legged backup auburn QB end that game in the victory formation. 

In an 8 team format I’m not sure they make the final game. In a 16 team format I don’t think they do. 

Georgia otoh likely makes the final no matter what unless bama is in their bracket. They just seem to have a mental block vs the tide

postseason would be much better w 8 teams in

Alabama is probably going to win the national championship.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Alabama is probably going to win the national championship.

Because they get to play UGA. It’s somewhat circular reasoning, but having only to play Cincinnati to get to the game with Georgia makes they are national champions almost a foregone conclusion. They are definitely beatable by several teams not named  university of Georgia

Edited by Sawbonz

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Alabama - 7
Clemson - 6
Ohio St - 4
Oklahoma - 4

Georgia - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Oregon - 1
Florida St - 1
Michigan St - 1
Washington - 1
LSU - 1
Michigan - 1
Cincinnati - 1

Parity?  Wut?

There are 130 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision.  Here is the number of College Football Playoff wins for each school:

NINE (9):

Alabama

SIX (6):

Clemson

THREE (3):

Ohio State

TWO (2):

Georgia

LSU

ONE (1):

Oregon

ZERO (0):