Tom Petty kicks all kinds of ass

ztejas

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Awesome.

Yeah I love it, too. I bought it when I first got back into vinyl and looking for a dedicated stereo receiver. I couldn't be more happy with it.

And thanks for the link!

Same here.  I've collected records since I was a kid and well life got in the way and I just stored them.  One day I said "this is crazy," bought the Yamaha and a Rega P2 turntable.  I'm very happy with both.  What I like about that Yamaha is that it's very warm sounding.  I just wish it had more options, (bluetooth, etc.)

You're Welcome.

32 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Same here.  I've collected records since I was a kid and well life got in the way and I just stored them.  One day I said "this is crazy," bought the Yamaha and a Rega P2 turntable.  I'm very happy with both.  What I like about that Yamaha is that it's very warm sounding.  I just wish it had more options, (bluetooth, etc.)

You're Welcome.

Yeah I know what you mean, re: bluetooth, but just FYI you can get a bluetooth receiver for fairly cheap that you can just run into one of the line inputs on the back.

Something like this.

It's not going to be audiophile quality, but it gets the job done if you just want to play your iPhone/iPad/whatever through your receiver. I use something like this for when we are entertaining and I don't want to get up and flip records every 10-15 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I know what you mean, re: bluetooth, but just FYI you can get a bluetooth receiver for fairly cheap that you can just run into one of the line inputs on the back.

Something like this.

It's not going to be audiophile quality, but it gets the job done if you just want to play your iPhone/iPad/whatever through your receiver. I use something like this for when we are entertaining and I don't want to get up and flip records every 10-15 minutes.

Right on

On 2/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, Rimbo said:

Jesus. Stevie Nicks. Has there ever been a more painful case of gorgeous woman with a horrid voice?

(I mean. Besides Fran Drescher.)

Question Mark What GIF by Aminé

On 2/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, DougO said:

Early years band, but mostly one visionary guy and session players and a band that went out to tour the stuff Brian had produced.

I wouldn't call the guys creating the greatest rock and roll vocal harmonies ever "session players". 

I agree the Beach Boys are more of a "group" than a "band" though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 3:00 PM, ztejas said:
  On 2/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, Rimbo said:

Jesus. Stevie Nicks. Has there ever been a more painful case of gorgeous woman with a horrid voice?

(I mean. Besides Fran Drescher.)

While I respect your right to said opinion, the “Unpopular Opinions” thread is that way, Sir. 👉🏻🤌🏻🤝.

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 12:38 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I was ambivalent until many years after he broke.  I remember the day the light bulb came on -- I lived off Far West in NW Austin, spring 1986, giant apartment complex, and I headed up to the swimming pool to hang out.  I took my cassette boombox, and the only tape I could find was my roommate's copy of "Damn The Torpedoes".

For some reason, that day it clicked.  Might have been the smokin' hot undergrad in a bikini on the next chaise over, I'm not sure.  She dug the music, and then her dumbass football player boyfriend showed up.

I just kept that tape rolling.  That dude never even started.

You're a cool motherfucker, Jimmy. I had to dig this thread back up because one of the horseshit local sports shows I listen to threw some Petty on earlier today and it got in my head and I just started up Damn The Torpedoes after quite a few drinks tonight. 

God damn this dude could fucking play it, man. 

What an unreal talent. 

Enjoy him, God.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great story.  Been a huge fan of Gurf's since his early time with Lucinda.   I LOVED his guitar work on that early stuff.   Then, in 96/97 I was eating in a little bar in Arlington, VA and this dude walks in and starts loading in some equipment.  He sat a box of CDs on the bar and I started going through them.  I found the most recent one and noticed that Gurf produced it and thought, "I've never heard of Slaid Cleaves, but I believe I'll stick around for the show."   I've seen him play with Lucinda, Slaid, Patty Griffin and Buddy/Julie Miller.  He always seems to be around my favorite artists.  If I see him in the credits, I buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow!  Now that's a story.  Gurf is an amazing, underrated American musical treasure.  LMAO about Don Henley.

lebowski-eagles-o.gif

There's a lot of Tom Petty story stuff on Otis's channel, and lots of other things that are nice.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, DougO said:

A story worth the 12 minutes for the kicker at the end, especially for the olds. 

Great story and reminds me of one I read

"Almost immediately my organs began the formal investigation of whether or not they should strike and shut down labor until management could promise a safer work environment, or at the very least have the decency to explain. I had somehow been blindsided and as I was being electrocuted, I suddenly shot up from the couch and with an extreme sense of impending doom, bellowed, "Oh my God, I'm having a heart attack."

I clawed at my chest as I stumbled to my bathroom before falling to my knees and dry-heaving into the stained commode. A brown stream of saliva resembling the watered-down gravy from a frozen Salisbury steak dripped from the latrine to the bathroom floor and puddled next to loose pubic hairs. I don't know how long I sat there, head hanging while the saliva slowly dripped like soured syrup from a rotting tree, but it felt like half an hour before I found myself walking out of the front door before my brain could catch up with my body. In this hysteria I left my apartment, door swung open as if I was expected to return immediately-- or never.

I walked with a furious pace to the big-box pharmacy across the street, which was like a strip club in that it was always lit up to advertise their open doors and the availability of drugs at any and all hours of the night. Such was downtown living.

"Good evening, sir", came a courteous greeting from a well-meaning employee as I lumbered into the store like a man nursing a gunshot wound to the gut. I responded as politely as I could manage, with a grunt of some sort, and trudged through the aisles to the back of the store. I reached the aisle full of ibuprofen and and grabbed a small plastic bottle of aspirin. 

I surprised myself by opening the childproof cap right there in the middle of the aisle. I jabbed at the taut foil with a few dull, rounded finger punches in an attempt to pierce the protective layer to no avail. I then took to ending my knees and trying to find a good angle for my incisors to come down on the foil until I fully devolved to a gnawing in a complete crouch between grunts. I was finally able to puncture the top and chew a handful of the bottle's chalky contents."

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, Wally Pryor said:

If you've not seen Somewhere You Feel Free, set aside an hour and a half to do so. Took forever for it to be released but finally was last November and the wait was worth it to see the making of Wildflowers.  So many great interviews / footage. 

Surprised to see it's still up on youtube / free:

What a fucking joy this was today.  I can’t believe I haven’t watched this yet.

He’s got to be the at the very top of the American songwriter list.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...