The Climate thread

Laxtonto

On 9/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, Incredulity said:

Well I am extremely hopeful a rational and intelligent plan will emerge right after the 13 year old is done testifying before congress about...her feelings?  Really fucking useful.  I know, lets have a local 8th grade home room class sub for the federal reserve next month.

This dipshit permanent college freshman contrarian giving a young person shit for having political opinions is rich.

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

More Great fire-breathing.

I can't tell if this young lady actually makes a difference or just that the media loves her. However I think we need some actions or we are really going to screw up the world. I already think we've screwed it up but perhaps the damage can be mitigated somewhat.

Activists spanning over 150 countries participated in the global climate strike Friday, but activists in China — the world’s leading greenhouse gas emitter — were noticeably silent as protests were not authorized in the country, according to reports.

Thousands gathered in cities across the globe — including London, Berlin, Tokyo, and Washington, DC — to protest anthropogenic climate change and the purported lack of urgency to address it. However, there was a remarkable lack of participation from individuals in China — the planet’s worst greenhouse gas emitter — minus a protest in Hong Kong.

According to the Guardian, “No protests were authorized in China.” However, the China Youth Climate Action Network’s Zheng Xiaowen said that Chinese youth “have their own methods.”

“We also pay attention to the climate and we are also thinking deeply, interacting, taking action, and so many people are very conscientious on this issue,” she added.

Several climate change activists in D.C. decried the U.S. for its role in contributing to climate change despite the fact that the U.S. has made great strides in reducing its carbon output, seeing the “largest decline in CO2 emissions in the world for 9th time this century” in 2017. The largest increase that year came from China.

According to a report released by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) last year, the U.S. reduced its greenhouse gas output by 2.7 percent during President Trump’s first year in office.

“Thanks to President Trump’s regulatory reform agenda, the economy is booming, energy production is surging, and we are reducing greenhouse gas emissions from major industrial sources,” EPA Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler said at the time.

“These achievements flow largely from technological breakthroughs in the private sector, not the heavy hand of government. The Trump Administration has proven that federal regulations are not necessary to drive CO2 reductions,” Wheeler continued.

“While many around the world are talking about reducing greenhouse gases, the U.S. continues to deliver, and today’s report is further evidence of our action-oriented approach,” he added.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) reiterated that point to Greta Thunberg and the other climate kids who testified before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and Select Committee on the Climate Crisis on Wednesday.

“Meanwhile, as the West looks at options to combat climate change, we all know that China’s global emissions continue to rise. For every ton of carbon dioxide reduced by the United States, China adds nearly four times as much,” Kinzinger said.

“Today the Chinese account for 30 percent of global emissions. While some may say that the United States needs to be the leader of combating climate change, I would say that we already are,” he continued.

“Since 2005 global emissions have increased by 20 percent, but the United States emissions have decreased by more than the next 12 emission-reducing countries combined,” he added.

As Breitbart News reported, China is ramping up its coal-powered energy supply “with the total of future projects now standing at 226.2 gigawatts (GW)”:

That is more than twice the amount of fresh capacity planned for India, according to data published Thursday by environmental groups.

With nearly 1,000 GW in operation, China accounts for about half the word’s coal-fired power, with the United States (259 GW) and India (221 GW) a distant second and third, according to the Global Coal Plant Tracker.

Despite China’s blatant disregard for the calls of climate change alarmists, it has been granted permission to speak at the U.N. international climate summit next week in New York.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/21/worlds-leading-greenhouse-gas-emitter-china-taps-out-of-global-climate-strike/

Why don't we hear a lot of talk about China. If this is true in 10 years they will ADD more coal plants than we will have.

What do we do about China, India, and all the other developing countries that will counter any reduction in co2 we do?

• Like 1

I knew I would get that response for posting a breitbart article.

I think most conservatives agree we need to continue to cut our emissions, but not to where it is going to ruin our economy.

If we only have 15 years or whatever before we all die, and we were to cut all our emissions, while other countries continue to rise, all for not?

Climate activists should be all in favor of the trade war with China.  It has hurt their growth.

Can anyone show me something better than this USA Today article, that just compares 1992 to today? Anyone have a recent year to year increase/decrease chart of countries.   I want to know if we are 0% emissions, what does the outlook look like for other countries?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/14/china-us-countries-that-produce-the-most-co-2-emissions/39548763/

What has to be done around the world in these other countries to keep from offsetting progress we make?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BNB said:

I think most conservatives agree we need to continue to cut our emissions, but not to where it is going to ruin our economy.

If we only have 15 years or whatever before we all die, and we were to cut all our emissions, while other countries continue to rise, all for not?

Climate activists should be all in favor of the trade war with China.  It has hurt their growth.

Can anyone show me something better than this USA Today article, that just compares 1992 to today? Anyone have a recent year to year increase/decrease chart of countries.   I want to know if we are 0% emissions, what does the outlook look like for other countries?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/14/china-us-countries-that-produce-the-most-co-2-emissions/39548763/

What has to be done around the world in these other countries to keep from offsetting progress we make?  

Good luck with India and China.

They don't just have emission issues. They have actual pollution issues, into the water and land as well as the air. Strange they don't send Greta to India or China. Just America, right as the MSM has attempted to shift away from RUSSIA to global warming.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BNB said:

Really... do most conservatives really believe cutting emissions is a goal? Nevermind the cost part. 

15 minutes ago, BNB said:

If anything the trade war probably hurts their programs trying to curb emissions. 

20 minutes ago, BNB said:

I'm curious about this too. I do look forward to reading about results from the United Nations climate summit where countries in the Paris agreement get to show their progress. 

Well I am extremely hopeful a rational and intelligent plan will emerge right after the 13 year old is done testifying before congress about...her feelings?  Really fucking useful.  I know, lets have a local 8th grade home room class sub for the federal reserve next month.

I Don't Know What I'm Doing Dog would be an improvement.71b9154fb74f238655b99a3cbd65d66f.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BNB said:

I don't think we need to force those countries to act. We should pressure them but the pressure can be in the form of an environmental tariff that is charged on a product where you cannot prove low emission manufacturing took place. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I Don't Know What I'm Doing Dog would be an improvement.71b9154fb74f238655b99a3cbd65d66f.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Usually, when presidents visit school classrooms, they read. Even Dubya could read.

DOTARD's handlers: "Fuck, I forgot, DOTARD can't read, what--sSHHHHH, he'll hear you. <whispering> what do we do, he can't read. Oh, I know, lets have him color the flag. We'll just give him red and blue markers. Even he can't fuck that up."

16 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Usually, when presidents visit school classrooms, they read. Even Dubya could read.

DOTARD's handlers: "Fuck, I forgot, DOTARD can't read, what--sSHHHHH, he'll hear you. <whispering> what do we do, he can't read. Oh, I know, lets have him color the flag. We'll just give him red and blue markers. Even he can't fuck that up."

Considering he literally speaks on a 4th grade level, I'm actually impressed he found something he's worse at.

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Good luck with India and China.

They don't just have emission issues. They have actual pollution issues, into the water and land as well as the air. Strange they don't send Greta to India or China. Just America, right as the MSM has attempted to shift away from RUSSIA to global warming.

One good thing about China is that they have already passed peak employment and will pass peak population in 5 years or so. Then they will see their population cut in half by 2100. All the while they will lose manufacturing jobs to cheaper countries.

That will allow them to take coal power and other sources of polution offline.

India is a different story.

46 minutes ago, RayDog said:

One good thing about China is that they have already passed peak employment and will pass peak population in 5 years or so. Then they will see their population cut in half by 2100. All the while they will lose manufacturing jobs to cheaper countries.

That will allow them to take coal power and other sources of polution offline.

India is a different story.

do you even 12 years?  

But where does the idea of having 11 or 12 years come from, and what does it actually mean? 

The number began drawing attention in 2018, when the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released a report describing what it would take to keep global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, a goal of the Paris climate agreement. The report explained that countries would have to cut their anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions, such as from power plants and vehicles, to net zero by around 2050. To reach that goal, it said, CO2 emissions would have to start dropping "well before 2030" and be on a path to fall by about 45 percent by around 2030 (12 years away at that time).

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27082019/12-years-climate-change-explained-ipcc-science-solutions

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zork said:

China leads the world in installing wind and solar and building electric cars. They are not in a great spot right now but they are doing more than most countries.

With their employment base past peak the new infrastructure will lead to phasing out the old infrastructure.

19 minutes ago, RayDog said:

China leads the world in installing wind and solar and building electric cars. They are not in a great spot right now but they are doing more than most countries.

With their employment base past peak the new infrastructure will lead to phasing out the old infrastructure.

spacer.png

China and india doing their part...

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

If this is saving the planet then I am rooting for CO2.

I felt the same way after watching 63,000,000 Americans vote for Donald Trump. How so many people could vote for a stupid, incompetent, corrupt, failed-businessman is beyond me. And we wonder why we have problems in this country.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Gotcha!   

weak take.  Everyone is aware that China and India had led in growth in CO2 emissions, and China is even the worst country in the world for total CO2 emissions.   But your graph doesn't show how the US and Europe are # 2 & 3 in the world.  

Also fairly misleading not taking into account emissions on a per capita basis but deflection is all they've got as a message board tactic.