The Climate thread

Laxtonto

On 10/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, Cacti said:

In July, US climate envoy John Kerry said:  

China isn’t going to cut its emissions anytime soon and the rest of the world combined isn’t going to zero in 15 or 20 years. In fact, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, worldwide consumption (measured in quadrillion British thermal units) for liquid fuels, natural gas, and coal, will increase in the next 30 years from 182 to 248, 147 to 193, and 155 to 176, respectively.

So, Instead of us and some European countries spending trillions trying to prevent what seems to be inevitable, maybe we should instead concentrate on how best to mitigate the inevitable.   

So your solution is to do nothing.  Got it.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can’t wait. Honestly at this point, maybe it’s just as well. We won’t do anything until something catastrophic happens, so might as well speed it up.  

Do you really think this catastrophic event will even change these fucks?

1 minute ago, brakeman said:

Do you really think this catastrophic event will even change these fucks?

Who do you think owns beachfront land in the South?

When their beach houses are flooded and the streams are brackish and they can't fish they'll start paying attention, albeit a little late.

Let me get this straight. You guys have experienced the last two years along with the rest of us, and seen how conservatives reacted to a pandemic that has killed over 5 million people (and that’s just officially recorded), and still think any of them will ever wake up one day and acknowledge climate change?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Let me get this straight. You guys have experienced the last two years along with the rest of us, and seen how conservatives reacted to a pandemic that has killed over 5 million people (and that’s just officially recorded), and still think any of them will ever wake up one day and acknowledge climate change?

image.gif.481b90f2db9a75575d5d2fca060f2349.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Terminator Okay GIF - Terminator Okay Thumbs Up GIFs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, wildcat09 said:

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an "expert" saying it can't be done. ---- Peter Ustinov

I live in the foothills - thought my house was going to blow down today with that wind. Thankfully the only casualty was my patio coffee table which blew across the yard and shattered on the rocks. 

Local news is saying >600 homes burned down. This drought is terrible 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Was just reading an article on permafrost melt, and the difficulty in calculating how much methane will get released, and I got a creepy feeling at the back of my neck, the same one I got during the middle of the day on election day in 2016, when everyone was so sure Donald Trump could never win.

I strongly suspect there are numerous feedback loops in climate change that have not yet been discovered, and that while the math is good for projections based on available data, the worst case scenarios are too conservative by an order of magnitude.

On the other hand, maybe my pessimism is fueled by nothing more than the last decade of Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

47 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Was just reading an article on permafrost melt, and the difficulty in calculating how much methane will get released, and I got a creepy feeling at the back of my neck, the same one I got during the middle of the day on election day in 2016, when everyone was so sure Donald Trump could never win.

I strongly suspect there are numerous feedback loops in climate change that have not yet been discovered, and that while the math is good for projections based on available data, the worst case scenarios are too conservative by an order of magnitude.

On the other hand, maybe my pessimism is fueled by nothing more than the last decade of Texas football.

maximum sea level rise from 100% global melt is 230 feet

invest accordingly

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:52 PM, Bullneck said:

So your solution is to do nothing.  Got it.

You see, if you deny something long enough, it becomes inevitable. Then you're off the hook! The buck is passed.

Let the kids deal with the inevitable. They can live in my Escalade with the tow package and extra big engine when the shit goes down. They can keep water in that huge gas tank that provided me with so much range.

They'll love their ol' granpa for having such foresight!

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You see, if you deny something long enough, it becomes inevitable. Then you're off the hook! The buck is passed.

Let the kids deal with the inevitable. They can live in my Escalade with the tow package and extra big engine when the shit goes down. They can keep water in that huge gas tank that provided me with so much range.

They'll love their ol' granpa for having such foresight!

It really seems like you can boil down the modern GOP to one basic underlying premise: all of the people who can actually do any work are long gone, so the only position they can feasibly take on literally any systemic issue is inaction. They're not even good at rationalizing inaction anymore; they just repeat their tired covers of the same old hits that were written by the last generation of conservatives, like "the free market can fix it!" and "the left is just using the issue to scare you in to their agenda!" The fact that they are sent to Washington to pose as lawmakers in this bullshit theater does mean they need to offer the public something vaguely resembling an agenda they actually intend to accomplish. Bigotry seems to be the only agenda that any pack of idiots can successfully deliver, which I think explains its appeal to them.

These narcissists deny climate change instinctually because their underdeveloped psyches can't actually solve problems. Their bigotry stems from their incompetence... among other things, of course, such as their envy of anyone who is actually successful in life without having to pretend.

Edited by ndawg
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:00 PM, HenryJames said:

Pinto beans and rice.  Yeah, just soak them overnight in the tub.  Then put it all in clean metal trash can and leave it in one of the smoldering houses.  Shoot a chicken or two (I assume that's what the assault rifle is for, Kyle) and you got you some wildfire Chipolte.  

Edited by Bullneck

58 minutes ago, ndawg said:

It really seems like you can boil down the modern GOP to one basic underlying premise: all of the people who can actually do any work are long gone, so the only position they can feasibly take on literally any systemic issue is inaction. They're not even good at rationalizing inaction anymore; they just repeat their tired covers of the same old hits that were written by the last generation of conservatives, like "the free market can fix it!" and "the left is just using the issue to scare you in to their agenda!" The fact that they are sent to Washington to pose as lawmakers in this bullshit theater does mean they need to offer the public something vaguely resembling an agenda they actually intend to accomplish. Bigotry seems to be the only agenda that any pack of idiots can successfully deliver, which I think explains its appeal to them.

These narcissists deny climate change instinctually because their underdeveloped psyches can't actually solve problems. Their bigotry stems from their incompetence... among other things, of course, such as their envy of anyone who is actually successful in life without having to pretend.

Great post.

37 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Well, that really brings it home. "What kind of risk are you prepared to deal with."

This is actually reason #1 on the list of reasons we left Texas. Like hell am I going to keep my family somewhere that the government is totally unprepared for unpredictable climate events -- not 50 years from now, but now.

When we were selecting where to live, I started by looking at the IPCC charts on projected changes to rainfall patterns, then looked at possible sea level changes, and then looked at earthquake data. That last one is big -- most folk think of earthquakes as a West Coast risk, but that has never actually been true; they have been less newsworthy elsewhere, but for most of the continent, it's when, not if.

The fact remains, though, that even as carefully as I picked the Carolina Piedmont, there are readily identifiable risks like hurricanes, or freak winter storms, but also unpredictable risks: what happens if our wetter-than-most weather pattern breaks, even for just a year or two? We have less fire risk than the mountains right now, but there's no guarantee that pattern will hold.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of people in this country who foolishly feel safe, who are about to discover to their sorrow that there is no such thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-climate-warriors-in-frozen-foxholes-ferc-energy-prices-elizabeth-warren-ed-markey-11641515672

The climate warriors of the Democratic Party aren’t lacking for chutzpah, give them that. The latest example is a letter from 41 Members of Congress to federal regulators, fretting about “the effect that anticipated increases in heating and energy costs will have on our constituents this winter.” You don’t say?

The letter’s signers include Massachusetts Sens. Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and Rep. Pramila Jayapal, the head of the House progressive caucus. This gaggle of greens normally thinks oil is drilled straight from hell, but they’re now asking the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to exercise its “power to influence retail rates for natural gas and electricity.”

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

exxon is worse than philip morris, example 6,298,732:

ExxonMobil is attempting to use an unusual Texas law to target and intimidate its critics, claiming that lawsuits against the company over its long history of downplaying and denying the climate crisis violate the US constitution’s guarantees of free speech.

The US’s largest oil firm is asking the Texas supreme court to allow it to use the law, known as rule 202, to pursue legal action against more than a dozen California municipal officials. Exxon claims that in filing lawsuits against the company over its role in the climate crisis, the officials are orchestrating a conspiracy against the firm’s first amendment rights.

The oil giant also makes the curious claim that legal action in the California courts is an infringement of the sovereignty of Texas, where the company is headquartered.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/18/exxon-texas-courts-critics-climate-crimes

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

Hey, Leo has donated to lots of climate causes so that absolves him of any hypocritical behavior, right? It's straight out of the Sack playbook. I'm shocked you don't approve.

I was only taking about Leo.  And he really does care on his g5 and super yachts.  

I bet you donate a lot.  

On 2/23/2022 at 8:49 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I was only taking about Leo.  And he really does care on his g5 and super yachts.  

I bet you donate a lot.  

Need a private plane tax. Every private air mile is taxed at .01 or more and entered into a fund to purchase EVs for Americas poor and working class citizens.   Doesn’t matter if they sell the vehicle for profit, they would still be eligible for another EV.

This is a much better system than paying billionaires for carbon credits. 

Call it the Tesla Tax 

17 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Need a private plane tax. Every private air mile is taxed at .01 or more and entered into a fund to purchase EVs for Americas poor and working class citizens.   Doesn’t matter if they sell the vehicle for profit, they would still be eligible for another EV.

This is a much better system than paying billionaires for carbon credits. 

Call it the Tesla Tax 

I'd go for that.