Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

1 minute ago, Gengs1 said:

This is really good but I think it will backfire and lose ppl who would have voted D because of of the propaganda of free money and pay your loans 

"Free stuff!" How very original. His campaign promise was $10K and that's what he's delivering. Some progressives will always be mad, and that's fine, I'm with them in a lot of respects, but I don't hate on the democrats or Biden. I wan't more progressive policies, but I'll take anything that goes that direction as a positive.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, 'stache said:

"Free stuff!" How very original. His campaign promise was $10K and that's what he's delivering. Some progressives will always be mad, and that's fine, I'm with them in a lot of respects, but I don't hate on the democrats or Biden. I wan't more progressive policies, but I'll take anything that goes that direction as a positive.

If this turns people against Joe Biden/Dems, after he literally campaigned on it, then they weren't going to vote for him or Dems again for a myriad of reasons and just want to bitch and moan. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If this turns people against Joe Biden/Dems, after he literally campaigned on it, then they weren't going to vote for him or Dems again for a myriad of reasons and just want to bitch and moan. 

Cocky without a cause. Every vote counts. Humility is a virtue, not a vice. 

Show the economics to prove why there is virtue in this action. It is not difficult:

F46F53F7-23D8-4AB0-BAAD-99F043D472FC.jpeg.ad35b805d292000875937574530c1c1c.jpeg

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is good policy and good politics. Anyone worried about voters bailing on Biden over this should be more worried about how many younger voters would've stayed home had he done nothing. 

Since I'm one of the long in the tooth surly moderates, I will say that I wish Liz Warren would just stop crowing about the debt forgiveness.  This is one I think that sells best when progressives are grousing a bit about it not going far enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is good policy and good politics. Anyone worried about voters bailing on Biden over this should be more worried about how many younger voters would've stayed home had he done nothing. 

Old ppl vote and young ppl have usually been absent on voting in large number, that changed in 2020, hopefully they have substantial voter turnout to celebrate the benefits they are getting.

20 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

People who don't live up to their financial commitments and rely on government hand-outs are losers.  Just sayin'.

Pretty sure you are joking.  Pretty ballsy to borrow money from the government and expect it to be forgiven (ergot, never intending upon relying on government hand-outs). But if not, Goodbye Earl.

19 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

It’s funny how these people never complain about “free stuff” that goes in the pockets of corporations and the extremely wealthy. It’s been proven time and time again that this “free stuff” doesn’t do anything for the economy, but when we invest in our own people, that’s when people start complaining about unfairness.

If we’re going to complain, why not complain to the boomers/gen x about the enormous schools cost that younger gens had to incur as a direct result of the policies they supported that destroyed affordable higher education (that they were beneficiaries of) for generations to come. That’s unfair.

At the end of the day, I honestly think that the majority of people in this country would much prefer that their neighbor’s life be worse than their own than to equally improve both of their lives, and that’s so depressing. We’re a nation of selfish cunts.

Oklahoma didn’t turn down “ free stuff” when a tornado decimated one of their major cities. Texas didn’t turn down “ free stuff” when hurricane Harvey turned Houston into a lake.

Representatives from the states listed above voted against hurricane sandy relief for people in the northeast. Ted Cruz used the excuse that the bill was loaded with dem pork, but he lies 99% of the time anyway so who will believe him besides MAGA idiots? The “ hard worker” mentality is generally seen as a positive thing in our culture, but it has its drawbacks.

everyone on the internet and probably in real life as well likes to pretend that they are the only ones working their ass off while everyone around them is collecting government checks. They want nobody to get a free ride, but you never truly know your other peoples situation. Would you really want your neighbor who is debilitated with multi sclerosis to be denied benefits or disability if they can’t walk? Probably half of Americans would say screw him and his life choices, but they’re ignorant because MS is an auto immune disease. It’s not your fault if your body literally attacks itself.

your average American is very stupid, ignorant, and selfish. It’s sad, but that’s just the way it is. 

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

At the end of the day, I honestly think that the majority of people in this country would much prefer that their neighbor’s life be worse than their own than to equally improve both of their lives, and that’s so depressing. We’re a nation of selfish cunts.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bq6it3fg0phqybl3ryvt

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I want free money. I just don't want other people to have free money. 

The biggest hypocrite of all?

Grover norquist. He sucked up that government aid with a straw for himself and his businesses, but then he turned around and personally wrote a letter to trump while he was president to take away peoples unemployment benefits because those people need to go out, work hard, and put their lives on the line while Grover sits on his fat ugly ass at home and waits it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sucks that it was means tested, but hey, it's a step in the right direction. And I agree that probably there was actuary concerns that could have made this unwieldy and cost prohibitive even going from income of 125k to 150k as the previous poster mentioned.

I wonder why it wasn't just 10k cut across the board no matter what. That was my expectation and hope, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry but this rubs me the wrong way.  I have paid off 2 sets of student  loans in my life.  The first was for 40k back in early 2000s.  I took on a second job and paid off 2k a month for 20 months so I know people can pay these loans off. My family was poor as shit but I didn't want this debt hanging over me and my life so I did something about it.  If it wasn't for roe being overturned this would probably at the very least keep me from voting dem ticket this year and in 2024.  There is such a thing as personal responsibility.. Even in your 20s. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, GopherRock said:

"I suffered, therefore you should too" is not, and never has been, a good answer.

We'd never have any advancement in medicine and disease treatments/cures with this philosophy.  Or technology.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

It rubs you so wrong that you would withhold your vote against the fascist threat in America? There is such a thing as personal responsibility, even in your 40s.

This. Being so upset that someone is not going to have to pay $10k that it causes you to vote for fascism (to be fair, he said Roe is still going to keep him on the D side) is a giant titty baby statement. Come on man. It’s 10 grand. Sounds like you are doing fine. This does not affect you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Social security too. "My parents died of starvation when they got too old to work so everyone else should have to face that too."

I often think about this when imagining pre-social security times. Think how many old people just wasted away alone and died awful deaths in the early 1900s (and before of course). Just brutal. 

The whole "personal responsibility" thing drives me insane, as it was our fucking parents who abandoned theirs when it came to...well, most of the problems that are currently strangling my generation. Millennials deserve a complete fucking reset.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

The whole "personal responsibility" thing drives me insane, as it was our fucking parents who abandoned theirs when it came to...well, most of the problems that are currently strangling my generation. Millennials deserve a complete fucking reset.

Especially when it comes from R voters. There is no more hypocritical statement in existence for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You pay into social security.  How is that related to this?

Social Security is generally a windfall for most people. You pay in something. But it is not 100% of what you receive. That overage is economically the same thing as loan forgiveness. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, trauma babe said:

Can't build wealth, because we had shitty job prospects after college because of a GOP-caused recession
Ton of student debt, because of GOP-created deregulation of tuition

Now what, the GOP wants to make SS discretionary, so they can ensure we don't get that when we're old

We got the short end of that fucking stick, for sure. 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Millennials got hosed.

The cost of things like college and affordable housing exploded right when we became adults. Jobs were outsourced at the worst possible time when baby boomers were refusing to retire and millennials were trying to break into the work force.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Social Security is generally a windfall for most people. You pay in something. But it is not 100% of what you receive. That overage is economically the same thing as loan forgiveness. 

Got it.

Do you have any sources for the latest on payouts vs. contributions? Googling is pretty futile.

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Millennials got hosed.

The cost of things like college and affordable housing exploded right when we became adults. Jobs were outsourced at the worst possible time when baby boomers were refusing to retire and millennials were trying to break into the work force.

Yeah but did you really need all that avocado toast and hookup culture?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You pay into social security.  How is that related to this?

When it was enacted old people got benefits without having paid into the system. And as someone pointed out "paying into the system" isn't like a checking account or 401K. What I make this month is taxed and that money goes directly to an old person, not a savings account.

37 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Sorry but this rubs me the wrong way.  I have paid off 2 sets of student  loans in my life.  The first was for 40k back in early 2000s.  I took on a second job and paid off 2k a month for 20 months so I know people can pay these loans off. My family was poor as shit but I didn't want this debt hanging over me and my life so I did something about it.  If it wasn't for roe being overturned this would probably at the very least keep me from voting dem ticket this year and in 2024.  There is such a thing as personal responsibility.. Even in your 20s. 

You sound like a miserable shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

keep in mind that the beneficiaries of this are predominantly people that have had to deal with outrageous costs of college of recent vintage.

i was in school until 2005, which means I just hit deregulated tuition, but didn't have it for most of my time.  giving me relief (that I got in the front end because regulated tuition) is a very different thing than helping people that have been subject to the outrageous pricing recently.

the details are different state by state, school by school, but one consistent thing is that college way outpaces inflation everywhere.  so don't be mad you weren't helped out.  this just evens the playing field to the cheap education we got.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon