Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

For fuck's sake, I get 10 and I work for a tech company where I can work from home 100% of the time if they would let me.  This is dumb.

I've been scammed by "unlimited PTO" for so long that I can't even articulate the differences between time off to understand why sick leave is different than PTO or vacation or any other time off, so I'm guessing most young people (GenZ & Millennials) have no idea either unless they are time clock hourly employees. I googled it:

It is worth noting that sick leave and PTO policies can slightly differ. Paid sick leave is a specific amount of time off that can be used for injury, illness, or related reasons, whereas a paid time off policy is an all-encompassing time off bundle that can include paid sick leave.

So essentially on top of their Vacation/PTO they want 7 days of sick time as well. I wonder why the rail companies are balking so hard at that if they can live with 4 days, there must be a big $ impact on those extra 3 days and they must have data showing the expecting cost is pretty bad to risk this bad PR and stoppage.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

damn dude, if you wake up sick unexpectedly and can't work, but don't have sick leave, you don't get paid. Or if a kid wakes up sick and you have to stay home with them.  PTO/Vacation has to be scheduled in advance. That is the difference.

These workers were considered essential during the pandemic and had to work. If they got sick with covid and had to miss work they got no pay because they had no sick leave. That is fucking bullshit.

The rail companies are "balking so hard" because they don't like the idea of employees getting paid leave when they get sick. Vacation is a little easier for the companies to swallow because those days are scheduled in advance and its less disruptive to the routine.

None of this is rocket science. These track builders, diesel mechanics, whatever skilled labor these guys perform, want the same benefits that you assholes who sit on your asses all day get. The railroads can absolutely afford to give that to them. 

Makes sense and I agree-- give them the 7 days and let's move forward.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Biden needs to state he supports 10 days and 7 is the minimum he will sign. again, why is this even a negotiation? 

My guess is there's some moderate Dems in the caucus who don't want to vote for more because they're getting money from the railroads.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

I come here for the laughs and it’s a fucking HR convention. 

To bring it back to Biden, since the thread topic, I found this interesting. Times and situations are different no doubt:

The vote marks the first time Congress has flexed its power to block a national rail strike since the 1990s. Back then, President Biden was one of six senators to oppose the bill that ended a 1992 rail strike, arguing against government interference in labor.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

To bring it back to Biden, since the thread topic, I found this interesting. Times and situations are different no doubt:

The vote marks the first time Congress has flexed its power to block a national rail strike since the 1990s. Back then, President Biden was one of six senators to oppose the bill that ended a 1992 rail strike, arguing against government interference in labor.

politics. but oddly refreshing that it's just simple politics. those were the days when politicians just flip flopped on policy-wonk issues. sigh.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, troph said:

so what the fuck was up with the rental car fires in Nantucket?

One was subject to a recall for a faulty battery junction and it caught fire after they returned them. Hertz shouldn’t have rented that one out 

15 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

damn dude, if you wake up sick unexpectedly and can't work, but don't have sick leave, you don't get paid. Or if a kid wakes up sick and you have to stay home with them.  PTO/Vacation has to be scheduled in advance. That is the difference.

These workers were considered essential during the pandemic and had to work. If they got sick with covid and had to miss work they got no pay because they had no sick leave. That is fucking bullshit.

The rail companies are "balking so hard" because they don't like the idea of employees getting paid leave when they get sick. Vacation is a little easier for the companies to swallow because those days are scheduled in advance and its less disruptive to the routine.

None of this is rocket science. These track builders, diesel mechanics, whatever skilled labor these guys perform, want the same benefits that you assholes who sit on your asses all day get. The railroads can absolutely afford to give that to them. 

I sort of get this, calling in sick is more disruptive to a complex supply chain than other industries, but how does that work in reality? People wake up sick, or injure themselves on the stairs after waking up, or things that you don't know about until the morning. They obviously can't show up either way, so the result is they just don't get paid? Can be fired? What if they went on a bender and decide fuck it all i'll just quit? There has to be contingency plans for these situations already in place, just let them get paid for the reasonable time if things happen suddenly. Demand doctors notes if you want to be a dick about it, but it just seems really unrealistic to expect that because each of them is essential, they have to be there no matter what, even if they wake up with 105 degree temperature or break their arm slipping during their morning shower. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

can someone comment on this pic? A MAGA  person posted this online and I'm struggling to believe this is correct, or maybe I'm misinterpreting something.

Clipboard%20-%20December%201,%202022%202:55%20PM.png

what's to interpret? if you adjust for inflation on $3782 in ~1965 then that is equivalent to ~$35k today. we're spending almost half what were per capita at the start of the graph. I'm betting the inflation-adjusted dollars graph would show you a gradual decrease in spending over time. hardly controversial

wait, I'm not following either of your comments. Help me understand the trick they've played, because I'm not seeing it. LonghornFan_68, it's showing inflation adjusted much higher spending, not lower. Can you clarify your comment?

JJ, yes I see how they are trying to show the covid stimulus as being solely under Biden. But if you look at the budget numbers, the spending in the last 12 months is down 9% year over year in real dollars, which this doesn't show.

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what's to interpret? if you adjust for inflation on $3782 in ~1965 then that is equivalent to ~$35k today. we're spending almost half what were per capita at the start of the graph. I'm betting the inflation-adjusted dollars graph would show you a gradual decrease in spending over time. hardly controversial

that says it's inflation adjusted. 

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

can someone comment on this pic? A MAGA  person posted this online and I'm struggling to believe this is correct, or maybe I'm misinterpreting something.

Clipboard%20-%20December%201,%202022%202:55%20PM.png

it probably is correct.  the government flooded the system with cash in 2020.  PPP, stims, unemployment, expanded unemployment, lower than expected tax revenue from the economy taking a shit for a couple months, etc. 

Edited by elfenix

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

wait, I'm not following either of your comments. Help me understand the trick they've played, because I'm not seeing it. LonghornFan_68, it's showing inflation adjusted much higher spending, not lower. Can you clarify your comment?

JJ, yes I see how they are trying to show the covid stimulus as being solely under Biden. But if you look at the budget numbers, the spending in the last 12 months is down 9% year over year in real dollars, which this doesn't show.

The chart reads as though it ends in 2020. Biden took office Jan. 20, 2021. Not sure how they think it's supposed to reflect on Biden other than knowing their target audience is a bunch of morons. 

Ah, didn't realize it ended in 2020. The chart is actually purposely confusing because the x axis and the title doesn't clarify that it stops in 2020. It still shows a steadily increasing per capita spending, even before the covid spike. That's what I really can't reconcile.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ah, didn't realize it ended in 2020. The chart is actually purposely confusing because the x axis and the title doesn't clarify that it stops in 2020. It still shows a steadily increasing per capita spending, even before the covid spike. That's what I really can't reconcile.

time goes on and shit gets more expensive and there's more kinds of shit.  the economy gets more productive as well, which is why yearly spending / gdp is a better measure than just dollars.  a trillion dollar deficit on a trillion dollar economy is a much different thing than a trillion dollar deficit on a 20 trillion dollar economy is a much different thing than a trillion dollar deficit on a 100 trillion dollar economy. 

here's gdp per capita over the same time period

image.png.59ab628a225ea4d2f98f1b0915d4eac3.png

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that says it's inflation adjusted. 

it probably is correct.  the government flooded the system with cash in 2020.  PPP, stims, unemployment, expanded unemployment, lower than expected tax revenue from the economy taking a shit for a couple months, etc. 

crap. didn't see that part. nm. everything I just said is bullshit.

🤣

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well, the budget deficit was blowing up under Trump well before covid.  Not sure if that explains it all.  Obviously, covid/oil in 2020 was a big factor, as seen in this chart:

image.png.abf3a77b657e33dd7383e6238e22ec63.png

Edited by jimmyjazz

Well it seems part of it could be related to the fact that over that period, wages have stagnated while other costs have increased.  Example being the infamous story of how many Walmart employees were working 38 hours a week and still needing to go on food stamps.   I can imagine that also applies to other situations as well.  And how much of that spending per person is military?  

The big bump yeah is  Covid, but the increase in needing gov't assistance is partially tied to stagnant wages or disappearing jobs.

I talked to a friend of mine who is retired railroad and was deeply involved in their union shop.   He spent 20 minutes explaining it, and it seems Biden didn't let down the unions and there is a lot of disinformation being spread.   It has to do with sick days and a points system and all other kinds of ways the railroad as trying to downsize their labor staff.   I'm hoping he writes a synopsis of it for me.  

He also said they were surprised that the railroad magnates didn't do this before Trump left office.  It only goes to mediation with the President if labor and management can't come to terms.  These contracts are 5 years in length and they start negotiating them right after signing the last one.  So they could have gone in while trump was in his waning days and renegotiated the next contract coming up.  That way they would have had trump side with management, but instead now they have Biden siding with the workers.    

He told me the one who really betrayed the unions was Geo H Bush.  He gave management everything they wanted, including letting them cut the two firemen from every crew.  That was a huge blow to labor.  It's also why H has his own engine and train, and no other president does, because he saved them tons of money.  

All this ties to that chart up there, where corporations start reducing or eliminating what their employees take home, that often leaves them needing assistance.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, elfenix said:

time goes on and shit gets more expensive and there's more kinds of shit.  the economy gets more productive as well, which is why yearly spending / gdp is a better measure than just dollars.  a trillion dollar deficit on a trillion dollar economy is a much different thing than a trillion dollar deficit on a 20 trillion dollar economy is a much different thing than a trillion dollar deficit on a 100 trillion dollar economy. 

here's gdp per capita over the same time period

image.png.59ab628a225ea4d2f98f1b0915d4eac3.png

This is the clarification I was looking for, explains why per capita spending rises since the gdp per capita is rising. 

Here we are boys and girls, the last jobsgiving eve of the year.

Naughty or nice? I don’t care, most of you are ignorant sluts and beneath me (because you’re bottom dwelling bitches and I’m always on top). Job numbers, miss me. I got mine. Wages? I make more than you at 33. Fancy cars? My Altima has a sunroof. Inflation shrinking like Incredulity in an ice bath. Strong dollar? Don’t tell Humble Beast’s shitcoins.

Texas is #1 in basketball after tonight and Joe Biden’s economy is majestic.

Light a candle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One does not simply mandate paid leave.

Sure they can. Ever heard of the 40 hour work week? You think the old mills and mining operations of the past went to that voluntarily?

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Payrolls and wages blow past expectations, flying in the face of Fed rate hikes

• Nonfarm payrolls increased 263,000 for the month while the unemployment rate was 3.7%, the Labor Department reported Friday.
  • The payrolls number was well above the 200,000 estimate, while the unemployment rate was in line.
  • Average hourly earnings jumped 0.6% for the month, double the estimate, and 5.1% annually versus the 4.6% expectation.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/02/jobs-report-november-2022.html

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Sure they can. Ever heard of the 40 hour work week? You think the old mills and mining operations of the past went to that voluntarily?

Could this Congress pass a 40 hour work week? Are there 60 votes for any type of paid leave?

Edited by David Dennison
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Payrolls and wages blow past expectations, flying in the face of Fed rate hikes

• Nonfarm payrolls increased 263,000 for the month while the unemployment rate was 3.7%, the Labor Department reported Friday.
  • The payrolls number was well above the 200,000 estimate, while the unemployment rate was in line.
  • Average hourly earnings jumped 0.6% for the month, double the estimate, and 5.1% annually versus the 4.6% expectation.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/02/jobs-report-november-2022.html

so we're all getting rebates?

I could barely finish typing that without laughing