Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

for all the piranha progressives:

1. my only point was the modern republican party cannot move state lines to engineer election results.  that was it. acting like it's blood in the water.

other unrelated points:

2. the senate structure isn't changing, y'all can debate it, I don't care to, it's a complete waste of time, energy, breath, all of it. but go after that carcass like a pack of squealing hyenas if it makes you feel better.

3. if you change the rules to population based you might as well have only a house of representatives.  Gridlock used to be a good thing, and many times still is as a progressive. the idea of only the HoR running the show is often quite scary. 

4. Texas only has 2 votes, that's a good thing. Yes CA only has 2 as well, that's a bad thing for progressives. But as the wind blows it works both ways, VT has 2, SD has 2, etc., etc.

5. the filibuster is an entirely different issue. it's a senate procedural rule and shame on democrats for trying to protect it when the republicans will dismantle when they find it convenient.

and born to run can still fuck off. I don't have pet issues.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, troph said:

the republicans will dismantle when they find it convenient

Would have been extremely “convenient” for Republicans in 2017, yet its still there.

Interesting.

PS  rest of post is absolutely correct.

Edited by Incredulity

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Would have been extremely “convenient” for Republicans in 2017, yet its still there.

Interesting.

Senate rules have been progressively dismantled by both parties and all that’s left is the filibuster. McConnell has been part of that so was Reid. The gamesmanship has been turned up to 10 and it will go to 11. Who takes the next step, I don’t know. One of the parties will and it wasn’t the dems this go round. Republicans can’t this time and dems have no reason to now so we wait and see.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Interesting.

only major republican legislation i remember failing in 2017 was the ACA repeal, which didn't get 50 votes.

How John McCain's 'no' vote on health care played out on the Senate floor -  The Washington Post

although i agree mitch would ditch the filibuster when it becomes a problem, so far it hasn't been and it really doesn't impede the republican agenda to any major degree.  tax cuts and reduced spending can be done by straight up majority through reconciliation, appointing judges is majority vote, and gutting regulation is something the president can generally do without congress. 

i concede there's some future where republicans want to go catch more white whales and ban abortion nationwide which the filibuster might impede, i don't think mitch is true believer enough to get rid of it for that, as that plank is a poison pill. 

Edited by elfenix

The contrast between BIden and Trump could hardly be greater.  That clip -- photo ops, sure -- where he welcomed the WW2 vets, that wasn't fake.  It was staged, but it wasn't fake.

I think Biden is far from our greatest POTUS, but he's far from the bottom, and that contrast is crystal clear, because it's immediate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The contrast between BIden and Trump could hardly be greater.  That clip -- photo ops, sure -- where he welcomed the WW2 vets, that wasn't fake.  It was staged, but it wasn't fake.

I think Biden is far from our greatest POTUS, but he's far from the bottom, and that contrast is crystal clear, because it's immediate.

That clip got me in the feels a little bit. You could tell he was being genuine in his appreciation for those fine men and women. The mutual respect and admiration on display makes me sad for what our country has become.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Prior to the changes made to the filibuster in the 70s, senators were required to actually debate thorny legislative questions. Now, they can just phone in objections and it becomes one and done. It is no longer a filibuster in a literal sense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

After the concentrated effort by O&G charlatans, chads, and chuckle fucks to raise prices on everyone this year, Joe Biden has snapped his fingers, completely reversed the cornholing, and made it cheaper than this time a year ago.

A3A5DA75-78DA-43B0-8DB3-9D486E9DAE96.png

Funny how conservatives are radio silent about gas prices now. It still pisses me off that the Saudi’s cut production a month before the midterm elections, you know it was to help the GOP win. All of the asshole countries like North Korea, Saudi Arabia, and russia want the gop to win elections. It’s definitely no coincidence that the gop is a bunch of assholes too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting.

They did get rid of it when convenient, for SCOTUS appointments.

They didn’t get rid of it for legislation because they have no policy ideas to pass beyond tax cuts for the wealthy, which didn’t require it. If they actually had something to kill it for they would; you know that, I know that, we all know that.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2. the senate structure isn't changing, y'all can debate it, I don't care to, it's a complete waste of time, energy, breath, all of it. but go after that carcass like a pack of squealing hyenas if it makes you feel better.

This is the bottom line. Any change would require a significant number of small states that benefit from the Senate setup to sign on. Not happening. Not really even worth discussing.
Imagine dotard doing this

Cool, but also weird seeing Biden be the youngest guy in the room.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

They did get rid of it when convenient, for SCOTUS appointments.

They didn’t get rid of it for legislation because they have no policy ideas to pass beyond tax cuts for the wealthy, which didn’t require it. If they actually had something to kill it for they would; you know that, I know that, we all know that.

This is another thing that the Dems are so fucking horrible at.  As I understand it, you can suspend the filibuster for specific bills and then reinstate it after the fact.  WHY THE FUCK DON'T THEY DO THAT?

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is another thing that the Dems are so fucking horrible at.  As I understand it, you can suspend the filibuster for specific bills and then reinstate it after the fact.  WHY THE FUCK DON'T THEY DO THAT?

That is brilliant.  Why don't they just suspend it when the Dems are in control and then right before handing it back to GOP, they can switch it back again. That will totally work!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

That is brilliant.  Why don't they just suspend it when the Dems are in control and then right before handing it back to GOP, they can switch it back again. That will totally work!

Assuming I'm wrong about it and you're just being a dick.  Care to explain?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Assuming I'm wrong about it and you're just being a dick.  Care to explain?

Because there would be no way a temp suspension of the filibuster rule would work.  If the Dems suspended it, the GOP would know about it, and they would just suspend it whenever the GOP wanted to pass something.  I think ending or reforming it is needed.  Suspension just doesn’t make much sense

Just saw $2.56 here, crazy cheap. Won’t be long til they cry that it’s too cheap and hurting O&G jobs. They really have a nice little racket there, blame the dems if prices are too high or too low. The crying about jobs usually comes from the HR assistant making $24k a year. It’s the (dem) presidents fault that her employer makes a few billion in profit but can’t give her a raise and maybe lay her off.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Don't hear a lot of conservatives crapping on Biden for gas prices lately. Gee I wonder why.

Because they’ve moved back to the border crisis

Caravan should be coming soon just in time for the new year 

Edited by CowboyFred
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:57 PM, royiv said:

That clip got me in the feels a little bit. You could tell he was being genuine in his appreciation for those fine men and women. The mutual respect and admiration on display makes me sad for what our country has become.

You obviously don’t remember when Trump said he always wanted a Purple Heart.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:22 PM, StassneyHorn said:

After the concentrated effort by O&G charlatans, chads, and chuckle fucks to raise prices on everyone this year, Joe Biden has snapped his fingers, completely reversed the cornholing, and made it cheaper than this time a year ago.

A3A5DA75-78DA-43B0-8DB3-9D486E9DAE96.png

People can drag Biden for being old all day long, but there’s something to be said for an experienced politician who knows and understands the political process. It’s clearly manifested in his legislative achievements.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Trumps people would have set this up, he would have asked the vets who was the best president in their lifetimes. When any of them reply it’s Trump, that would have been the focus of the video. 

trump would have reminded them they were suckers for going off to fight for their country 

or

trump would have told them he would have been a Vietnam war vet but those damn heel spurs kept him down 

Nuclear fusion. I don’t know what it is, neither do you, but Joe found it between the cushions in his Lazy Boy. Molded by years of scrappy grit and Magic the Gathering ice cream parties, JB has Thanos’d Nuclear Fusion into existence. Global warming is dead and free energy now exists thanks to this man’s hard work.

“My turn? I tap 2 Sol Ring and Felware Stone mana to end climate change”

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-announce-scientific-breakthrough-fusion-energy-sources-2022-12-12/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Nuclear fusion. I don’t know what it is, neither do you, but Joe found it between the cushions in his Lazy Boy. Molded by years of scrappy grit and Magic the Gathering ice cream parties, JB has Thanos’d Nuclear Fusion into existence. Global warming is dead and free energy now exists thanks to this man’s hard work.

“My turn? I tap 2 Sol Ring and Felware Stone mana to end climate change”

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-announce-scientific-breakthrough-fusion-energy-sources-2022-12-12/

Running an electric power plant off fusion presents tough hurdles however, such as how to contain the heat economically and to keep lasers firing consistently. Other methods of fusion use magnets instead of lasers.

magnets_c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/11/2022 at 6:35 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Trumps people would have set this up, he would have asked the vets who was the best president in their lifetimes. When any of them reply it’s Trump, that would have been the focus of the video. 

Well, yeah of course. DOtaRd has done more for vets than any other president in history. A lot of people don't know that.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:32 PM, Satchel said:

Prior to the changes made to the filibuster in the 70s, senators were required to actually debate thorny legislative questions. Now, they can just phone in objections and it becomes one and done. It is no longer a filibuster in a literal sense.

So this is one of those larks that not even all Senators understand: the reason the talking filibuster no longer exists is because you can’t do other procedural business until it’s resolved.  It actually makes the Senate more productive to eliminate it.