Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Do you have a problem with this?

lulz

You only have yourself to blame for engaging.

Sigh. There was a following sentence that was part of the same paragraph.

You would evidently hire the plant hand with a college degree over one who doesn't. Thus, even  a qualified plant hand would feel pressure to spend money on a college degree that isn't really required to do the job being sought.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

So you have a problem with sighs?

I was teasing you for engaging in a disingenuous discussion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

So you have a problem with sighs?

I was teasing you for engaging in a disingenuous discussion.

MY POINT ISN'T ABOUT SIGHS YOU HOPELESS Idio....

Oh. I'm the idoit. Thanks for clarifying. Irony can be hidden in these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If they were spending it on you they would be great stewards though right? 

I don’t have a number for the top bracket. You don’t really care though so there’s no point in arguing it. Your side is hellbent on bankrupting the country on the backs of the poor and vulnerable. They have shown that for 30 years now. I believe them

Too bad. I’m curious what you think we should be paying. Same bracket, same  profession (different specialty), same family unit with 4 kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Too bad. I’m curious what you think we should be paying. Same bracket, same  profession (different specialty), same family unit with 4 kids. 

Why would you be curious? You haven’t engaged honestly yet. Engaging you on this would be a waste of both of our time. Suffice it to say that I think we should be paying more than you think we should be paying, and neither preference would put a dent in the deficit no matter which party is in control. And because that is the case I’d rather more of the money go to the less fortunate, and I’m willing to pay more to keep the carousel spinning a little longer

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

The Dems are really hell bent on throwing the upcoming elections.  Lol 

The Dems are trying to govern in the quaint old way. 

The GЯP cares only about winning the election with a second's thought about integrity, the good of the country, or the good of any fuckwad not in the ruling party.

Politics versus insurrection. Policy versus pure bile.

Their jersey-wearers prance around here and speak only of victory in the election. That's it. They want to spike the ball as another flood of crooks take over the executive based on no holds barred anti-republic strategies.

Guns, God, and Male Insecurity.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

All 

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The Dems are trying to govern in the quaint old way. 

The GRP cares only about winning the election with a second's thought about integrity, the good of the country, or the good of any fuckwad not in the ruling party.

Politics versus insurrection. Policy versus pure bile.

Their jersey-wearers prance around here and speak only of victory in the election. That's it. They want to spike the ball as another flood of crooks take over the executive based on no holds barred anti-republic strategies.

Guns, God, and Male Insecurity.

All true.  but she’s not helping with the cause.  Cause independents don’t see this as normal 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Why would you be curious? You haven’t engaged honestly yet. Engaging you on this would be a waste of both of our time. Suffice it to say that I think we should be paying more than you think we should be paying, and neither preference would put a dent in the deficit no matter which party is in control. And because that is the case I’d rather more of the money go to the less fortunate, and I’m willing to pay more to keep the carousel spinning a little longer

I didn’t realize chiropractor and doctor were the same profession.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

All 

All true.  but she’s not helping with the cause.  Cause independents don’t see this as normal 

I didn't look at the tweet. I'll take your word for what it is. Independents are dunderheads if they look at the comparison of the two parties and choose the anti-republic candidates. Sadly, they are and many of them will.

Have a good weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ll play. First, get rid of the stopping of SS tax at $137k or whatever it is. You get paid, SS gets paid.

Beyond that - we need to reform how the ultra wealthy are taxed. Maybe tax them on loans? I’m against taxing unrealized gains, as it doesn’t make sense. Maybe a monopoly tax (a set tax on any and everything they own / control). I’m not sure what can be done, but billionaires need to pay in way more. The balance of wealth is way out of whack.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, Johnny Sack said:

A lot of people who want loans forgiven are self interested as fuck.

It is a horrible idea unless structural changes are made in student lending.  Too many people take out way, way too many loans for shitty, worthless degrees.

Can you name 3 shitty, worthless degrees?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't have any idea about your industry, but we're seeing Petrol E's looking for 110-115k out of school.  aggys, too.   Not too fucking shabby. 

You realize you're cherry picking a very, very small percentage of graduates, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

To be fair you were being very absolutist with the "a degree is absolutely necessary", so you'll see anecdotes in response.

There is most definitely a perception that a college degree is a ticket up and out.

The only people who seem to understand that it isn't, necessarily, are those with  . . .  college degrees.

Student loans aren't quite like a loan for a Raptor or a Jet Ski, or even a too-large house.  People think they're doing the right thing by taking them out and lack the knowledge to figure out what's a good investment and what isn't.

And, colleges are pretty monopolistic and so are the lenders, so there wind up being relatively few choices.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

Cold hard fact is many people need find the 100k-200k people version of whatever million+ person city you live in now.

There are plenty of certifications you can get in AWS/Salesforce/ etc that can be accomplished in under 4 months, learned for free on the internet, and a 200 dollar test can change your life. No college needed and no coming into a big city with cost of living to work.

Texas tuition being free if your parents make 65k or less and help up to 125k is in awesome step.  But the fact remains the same that college is wasted on college aged people.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any of the myriad that is ______ Studies.   Sociology.  Philosophy.  Psychology. Many other non STEM degrees.  

People that major in Sociology, Psychology and Philosophy 100% write more clear and coherent emails than most of the workforce due to the writing component, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

Yes. If they were even nearly equally qualified, the one with the degree should be hired 10/10 times. The only advantage being you can pay the one lacking the degree tremendously less, as you are very likely getting less bang for your buck. Like anything else, it all boils down to what kind of quality you want. 

• Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

People that major in Sociology, Psychology and Philosophy 100% write more clear and coherent emails than most of the workforce due to the writing component, IMO.

Counterpoint. Email is for olds. People called technical writers get paid to translate my jibberish.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

There are plenty of certifications you can get in AWS/Salesforce/ etc that can be accomplished in under 4 months, learned for free on the internet, and a 200 dollar test can change your life.

lulz No.

These certifications ain't going to get you a job. That's sales marketing bullshit pushed by companies that get paid to train for those certs.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Don't put that boomer evil on us, dickhead. 

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

No shit.

Us GenXers are currently putting GenZ through college.

Fair enough.  Fair enough.

Although I'm pretty sure some of the younger teachers I had in the 1990's and 2000's were definitively Gen X, and y'all were all saying the same exact shit at the time.

Yes. If they were even nearly equally qualified, the one with the degree should be hired 10/10 times. The only advantage being you can pay the one lacking the degree tremendously less, as you are very likely getting less bang for your buck. Like anything else, it all boils down to what kind of quality you want. 

Why? A college degree doesn’t equal better employee if they are equally qualified. You have no idea why one person has a degree and the other doesn’t. Your hypotheticals don’t work. You slam people that take out massive loans for college and then make up a hypothetical where one candidate doesn’t have a degree. Maybe they didn’t take out the loans. If equally qualified, a piece of paper means nada.
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And doing a much better job of advising our children and paying for it than the shit ass boomers.

I’m GenX and going to drop 300k on a STEM undergrad for my daughter.  Gladly.  Because she is worth the investment.  She will pay or finance grad/med school.

Do I think the price is ridiculous?  Yes.  Would I encourage her to take loans out?  Not if possible.  I do think the cycle of financial aid and tuition hikes is fucked up but I don’t have a great answer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

If equally qualified, a piece of paper means nada.

If one person has a degree, and one does not, they are not equally qualified in the eyes of the employer. Not to mention most employers require a degree. If you’re arguing a degree doesn’t mean an employee will be better at their job, I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve definitely worked with college grads, law grads, business grads that are worthless sacks of shit and a burden to their employer. I can also say the same for those without a degree. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't have any idea about your industry, but we're seeing Petrol E's looking for 110-115k out of school.  aggys, too.   Not too fucking shabby. 

And when the next bust comes (and it will) they will be collecting unemployment and new grads will be looking for 50k and get fuck all.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And when the next bust comes (and it will) they will be collecting unemployment and new grads will be looking for 50k and get fuck all.

As an aggy engineer graduating in--you guessed it--2008 and looking for work in O&G, I resemble this remark.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Any of the myriad that is ______ Studies.   Sociology.  Philosophy.  Psychology. Many other non STEM degrees.  

Those degrees may be worthless for many, but they still need to be properly funded and maintained so that we don’t further devolve into a nation of philistines.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Those degrees may be worthless for many, but they still need to be properly funded and maintained so that we don’t further devolve into a nation of philistines.

They need to be funded by the only people who should get them.  Those who can pay for it out of pocket.  

If one person has a degree, and one does not, they are not equally qualified in the eyes of the employer. Not to mention most employers require a degree. If you’re arguing a degree doesn’t mean an employee will be better at their job, I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve definitely worked with college grads, law grads, business grads that are worthless sacks of shit and a burden to their employer. I can also say the same for those without a degree. 

I was going off of fatty’s hypothetical. He said they were equally qualified.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

They need to be funded by the only people who should get them.  Those who can pay for it out of pocket.  

Why would you not say the same for STEM degrees?  Or do you?  Just do away with all student loans and make college affordable?  I’m down with that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I believe proper funding of those programs benefits the rest of us more so than the degree-earners in question. It’s unfortunate that certain fields such as gender studies (which really shouldn’t be an undergraduate major) are currently steeped in dogma, but that’s to be expected when a certain proportion of the population seeks religion while rejecting the churches in which they were raised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

You slam people that take out massive loans for college and then make up a hypothetical where one candidate doesn’t have a degree.

I have not slammed anyone for taking out a loan, and posted upthread that both me and wife took out a portion to cover.  I’ve slammed people who welched on their loan, and the politicians using this as a quid pro quo for votes.  It is a necessary function for most to attend higher learning these days, and if you don’t want to work dirty/physical labor, you should be seriously considering a (usable) degree. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

As an aggy engineer graduating in--you guessed it--2008 and looking for work in O&G, I resemble this remark.

Sucks I came in Jan 08, made it thru 6 or 7 layoffs thru ‘15, and left for a bit.  Your posts make you seem much more intelligent than most of the aggy engineers we hired during that time. 

7 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

It’s unfortunate that certain fields such as gender studies (which really shouldn’t be an undergraduate major) are currently steeped in dogma, but that’s to be expected when a certain proportion of the population seeks religion while rejecting the churches in which they were raised.

I don’t think anyone would have any issues with what anyone choses to study, if they weren’t being asked to cover the cost.  What people don’t like to hear is that someone willfully chose a degree without a plan to make money on the other side, and now has their hands out. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This is true in the PhD category, too.  I've worked with some absolutely clueless fuckers that got their position due to having a PhD.  I think I just motivated myself to get a PhD.....if it wasn't so expensive.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon