Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

43 minutes ago, sidis said:

it doesn't connote that you're engaging in good faith if you are going to blatantly mischaracterize my posts.  me pointing out that biden's efforts to erroneously blame o&g companies for realizing profits for political messaging purposes (ineffective as it may be) or enacting a specific policy with regards to ethanol or fuel taxes will not actually change the market prices for the commodities is not equivalent to "stop caring."  people can care all they want and that will likely be a big part of the demand side of the equation over the coming months as we observe behavioral changes which will then lead to pricing consequences.  it's just stupid to think that joe biden has much to do with this.

so, in the spirit of dishonest engagement, i suspect he is headed there to see how to get in on some of that sweet ass LIV Tour blood money.

Maybe more coffee this morning buddy. Or try a switch to decaf. The “stop caring” part was reference to what you said we would have to do to remove sanctions aimed at Russia. It is also what Biden is doing as he pivots away from his campaign rhetoric about making SA a pariah state.

The phrase didn’t have anything to do with characterizing your posts or anything related to domestic policies or our exchange otherwise. And if you reread what was quoted and the response in that context I think that you will see that.

That post was a sincere question to you regarding the play with MBS. “Stop caring”, or more accurately  “stop acting like we ever really cared”, is always part of the foreign policy playbook for the US. Is it in your opinion as straight forward as HornEmeritus suggests, a short term play to salvage midterms? I think it is much more geopolitically complicated. I don’t know if joe actually believed in the notion of his campaign rhetoric or not, but he has been around long enough to know that it was empty talk and that he would have to “stop caring” about it at some point. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe more coffee this morning buddy. Or try a switch to decaf. The “stop caring” part was reference to what you said we would have to do to remove sanctions aimed at Russia. It is also what Biden is doing as he pivots away from his campaign rhetoric about making SA a pariah state.

The phrase didn’t have anything to do with characterizing your posts or anything related to domestic policies or our exchange otherwise. And if you reread what was quoted and the response in that context I think that you will see that.

That post was a sincere question to you regarding the play with MBS. “Stop caring”, or more accurately  “stop acting like we ever really cared”, is always part of the foreign policy playbook for the US. Is it in your opinion as straight forward as HornEmeritus suggests, a short term play to salvage midterms? I think it is much more geopolitically complicated. I don’t know if joe actually believed in the notion of his campaign rhetoric or not, but he has been around long enough to know that it was empty talk and that he would have to “stop caring” about it at some point. 

well then my bad.  i thought your were doing your passive aggressive anastasis thing you sometimes do.  apologies for misconstruing and implying that.

anything dealing with s.a. is realpolitik.  always.  every single time.  and the laundry list is long.  1) balance out perception of visiting israel right before.  2) shore up the 10 week old truce that he helped engineer in the yemen conflict (which i would have thought you would have posted about) as much as he can.  3) behind the scenes coordination with israel, jordan, and small gulf states on continued efforts to contain iranian influence in the area.  4) identify what carrots s.a. wants from u.s. in exchange for signaling loosening of artificial o&g production restraints which will have an almost immediate effect on global markets and whatever ring kissing required for pariah state comment. 5) intelligence coordination on chinese expansion into central asia.  6) migration check in.  7) liv tour.

and the list goes on.  but without a doubt, the priority is o&g markets.  all realpolitik.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

29,927.07 −741.46 (2.42%)

Congratulations to Joey Two Scoops on building the greatest economy the world has ever seen.

image.jpeg.567fd132deb5c871eef913d83243d40b.jpeg

Why didn’t you post yesterday’s?

Why are you not short selling? You can make money when market is down.

Why do you post the Dow and not other indices that are down?

Why haven’t you answered my question on if you’re still contributing to 401k? Are you in cash now?

the people want answers.

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 6/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, sidis said:

as i have said in all of my long-winded posts over the last two pages, the o&g market is relatively efficient.  prices will reinvigorate/remotivate and in conjunction with demand destruction, the cycle will go in the other direction.  until then, i need to stop fucking around on this thread and start billing the shit out of my o&g clients.

cue the lawyers on this board (i'm not one) all thinking to themselves..."boy this guy is a fucking idiot, unspoken rule that you bill surly time as "case research" or "draft meaningless procedural pleadings."

From what I can tell, your revenue model is pretty similar to most of ours. 😉

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Eh, there's a lot here to unpack here.  For several years many ocean carriers took losses, and some were in danger of going bankrupt as Hanjin Shipping did in 2016.  It was a shipper's market for so long with such tight margins, and competition drove the rates into the dirt and at times shipping was at unprofitable levels for ocean liners.  Nobody was concerned with global carriers operating at a loss so long as they could get their cheap shit across the ocean for dirt cheap.

1,000% is quite a bit of an exaggeration overall. Maybe at the highest end, but that's not an average by any means across the industry for all trades and commodities.  I'd like to see where he's getting those numbers.  Rates in the trade I'm familiar with have gone up about 300%-400% on the highest end of our most expensive lanes. Regardless, the steep rise in shipping rates post-COVID has been mostly driven directly by supply and demand.  There has been congestion all over the world.  You've had 100+ container ships just sitting off the coast of Long Beach at times unable to birth with hundreds of thousands of TEUs just sitting on the water.  Container yards and terminals packed with containers and not enough truckers or equipment to move them out efficiently.  This had created a huge worldwide container shortage, leading to shippers outbidding each other to use what little containers and space was left available.  That's where most of the price increases have come from.  Customers volunteering to pay more and outbidding each other for allocation.  Fuel increases also played a part.  Bunker costs alone are almost as much if not more in some instances as what all-in rates were pre-pandemic.  I'm also curious if he's counting whatever NVOCCs and freight forwarders are adding on top for their profits as part of that 1,000%.

So while, yes, ocean carriers have been having a great couple of years and are actually making some good money, it's not because they are just price gouging or taking advantage of a shitty situation like the Biden administration is implying.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 3

Incredulity has a wife that will come home to search history that includes “unicorn shitting ice cream”  “gay man ice cream cone” and “Jason Alexander.”

Trust when I tell you she will not be surprised but grateful he’s wasting his time being an internet loser weirdo and not pestering her.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Eh, there's a lot here to unpack here.  For several years many ocean carriers took losses, and some were in danger of going bankrupt as Hanjin Shipping did in 2016.  It was a shipper's market for so long with such tight margins, and competition drove the rates into the dirt and at times shipping was at unprofitable levels for ocean liners.  Nobody was concerned with global carriers operating at a loss so long as they could get their cheap shit across the ocean for dirt cheap.

1,000% is quite a bit of an exaggeration overall. Maybe at the highest end, but that's not an average by any means across the industry for all trades and commodities.  I'd like to see where he's getting those numbers.  Rates in the trade I'm familiar with have gone up about 300%-400% on the highest end of our most expensive lanes. Regardless, the steep rise in shipping rates post-COVID has been mostly driven directly by supply and demand.  There has been congestion all over the world.  You've had 100+ container ships just sitting off the coast of Long Beach at times unable to birth with hundreds of thousands of TEUs just sitting on the water.  Container yards and terminals packed with containers and not enough truckers or equipment to move them out efficiently.  This had created a huge worldwide container shortage, leading to shippers outbidding each other to use what little containers and space was left available.  That's where most of the price increases have come from.  Customers volunteering to pay more and outbidding each other for allocation.  Fuel increases also played a part.  Bunker costs alone are almost as much if not more in some instances as what all-in rates were pre-pandemic.  I'm also curious if he's counting whatever NVOCCs and freight forwarders are adding on top for their profits as part of that 1,000%.

So while, yes, ocean carriers have been having a great couple of years and are actually making some good money, it's not because they are just price gouging or taking advantage of a shitty situation like the Biden administration is implying.

Thanks for the insight

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

This is the problem I have with Biden, personally. He’s doing what the Pubs do and exaggerating or flat out making up correlations for political points. That is also not the problem I have with Biden politically. We’ve gripped he has needed to do this for 2 years nearly and now that he is, it’s working. Needs to keep pushing his finger in on that wound.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

This is the problem I have with Biden, personally. He’s doing what the Pubs do and exaggerating or flat out making up correlations for political points. That is also not the problem I have with Biden politically. We’ve gripped he has needed to do this for 2 years nearly and now that he is, it’s working. Needs to keep pushing his finger in on that wound.

I'd also add that Biden said "as high as," which is not out of line with @Tom noting that's more likely to be the extreme high end, assuming for argument's sake that he is correct (I am not at all knowledgeable in the area so I am not opining on whether he is or isn't).

It's a deliberate word choice for sure, but it is not what Republicans do. It is not "The election was stolen, COVID and climate change are hoaxes, and teachers are grooming the youths to be trans!" There's plenty to knock Biden and Democratic leadership on, but a false equivalency to Republican messaging isn't one.

Biden has a hell of a Catch 22 with regard to inflation. It is largely out of his control. Anything that's realistically on the table is not going to have much of an impact and is going to be viewed as a failure. If he does nothing, people get more upset that the White House isn't doing anything to address what is far and away the number one concern of the public. It is overwhelmingly likely to be the downfall of his Presidency, he is looking like Carter 2.0.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, Trey3216 said:

I can't stand his stupid ass either, but outside of our idiotic tariff war with China (which Biden hasn't done shit to help with) we had a relatively low-key 4 years on the global confrontation front.  For fuck's sake, Ukraine was invaded when Biden was VP.  Putin was emboldened by how bad we bumblefucked the Afghanistan withdrawal.  No doubt he planned on invading Ukraine again, just don't think it would've been done with everything else going on in the world had things been different.  

On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, Blotto said:

I've seen variations on this theme a few times and I don't get it. Perhaps you can finally explain it to me? The decision to leave was made by Trump, so you must be focusing on the execution. Let's just assume the withdrawal of our troops from Afghanistan would have been 100% perfect. Specifically how does that materially change  Putin's calculus on invading Ukraine? 

@Trey3216 - you may have missed this but just wanted to confirm. Your thought is that if the execution of Afghanistan withdrawal went super smooth, Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine, or even been less likely to invade? How would that have impacted his thinking?

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

he is looking like Carter 2.0.

Well, let's not go that far.  Yes, both suffered high inflation, but Biden has proven to be a very adept foreign policy leader, whereas Carter couldn't have bungled things much worse when he was at the helm.  (See, for instance, the clusterfuck of his attempt to wrangle a hostage rescue plan using the US military.)

56 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Jesus.  

Exodus 32:1-35 

When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people gathered themselves together to Aaron and said to him, “Up, make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.” So Aaron said to them, “Take off the rings of gold that are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.” So all the people took off the rings of gold that were in their ears and brought them to Aaron. And he received the gold from their hand and fashioned it with a graving tool and made a golden calf. And they said, “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!” When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it. And Aaron made proclamation and said, “Tomorrow shall be a feast to the Lord.” ...

Life's little gifts that could end a Presidency in an instant. Remember we could have had Cheney as a President because of a pretzel. 

Or Pence because of COVID. Or Gore because of heart issues. I think Obama is the last president since maybe Carter that didn’t have a near death experience while in office.

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon