Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't buy that 64% of the public is experiencing severe economic pain. At least due to the current problems that we're facing. 

64% of the public is living paycheck to paycheck, and their paycheck goes a lot less far than it did 2 years ago.  Whether that meets a quantitative threshold of "severe" or not doesn't really matter.  These people are having to make economic choices today that they did not have to make before Biden was President, and the right has effectively made him the cause of it to those people.

You are free to ignore their economic problems if you want, but that is no small part of the reason why we've arrived where we are at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

What bubble do you live in where you can say this? 

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

64% of the public is living paycheck to paycheck, and their paycheck goes a lot less far than it did 2 years ago.  Whether that meets a quantitative threshold of "severe" or not doesn't really matter.  These people are having to make economic choices today that they did not have to make before Biden was President, and the right has effectively made him the cause of it to those people.

You are free to ignore their economic problems if you want, but that is no small part of the reason why we've arrived where we are at.

2/3 of the population is in poverty? Both of you are standing behind that definition?

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

2/3 of the population is in poverty? Both of you are standing behind that definition?

https://money.usnews.com/credit-cards/articles/how-many-americans-are-living-paycheck-to-paycheck

Here's what it means to live paycheck to paycheck: All of your income goes to paying your monthly expenses. There isn't any money left after you pay the bills.

Around 64% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, according to a May 2022 LendingClub survey.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/27/more-than-half-of-americans-live-paycheck-to-paycheck-amid-inflation.html

As of May, 58% of Americans — roughly 150 million adults — live paycheck to paycheck, according to a new LendingClub report. That’s down slightly from 61% who reported living paycheck to paycheck in April but up from 54% in May 2021.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/02/inflation-high-earners-paycheck-to-paycheck/

Around 61.3% of Americans—157 million people—are living paycheck to paycheck and devoting all of their salaries to expenses with little to nothing left over at the end of the month, according to the report. That number is nine percentage points higher than a year ago.

Do you want me to go on?

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Severe economic pain is now equivalent to poverty? I’m not saying americans are struggling to fucking have basic needs met, I’m saying you live under a rock if people aren’t really distressed about their situation as it stands today. 

poverty in the US has an ambiguous meaning thanks to the extremely high standard of living and relative low cost of goods because of advantageous import and export economics. There are very few US based citizens that are not homeless that are actually experiencing poverty and I am not sold on the idea that that number is climbing. I am sold on the people that do have places to live and food to eat that they are having to live somewhere cheaper or find food that is cheaper. I’m not arguing that people are starving and homeless. 

a lot of people have come to enjoy the life they had when money was free and goods were dirt cheap. Now the free money spigot has turned off and goods are just cheap, not dirt cheap. It’s not lost on me that even at 5/gal gas is cheaper here than virtually anywhere else on earth so spare me the fucking lecture about the behavior of people who are used to paying half as much for something as recent as a year ago having mental distress. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

https://money.usnews.com/credit-cards/articles/how-many-americans-are-living-paycheck-to-paycheck

Here's what it means to live paycheck to paycheck: All of your income goes to paying your monthly expenses. There isn't any money left after you pay the bills.

Around 64% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, according to a May 2022 LendingClub survey.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/27/more-than-half-of-americans-live-paycheck-to-paycheck-amid-inflation.html

As of May, 58% of Americans — roughly 150 million adults — live paycheck to paycheck, according to a new LendingClub report. That’s down slightly from 61% who reported living paycheck to paycheck in April but up from 54% in May 2021.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/02/inflation-high-earners-paycheck-to-paycheck/

Around 61.3% of Americans—157 million people—are living paycheck to paycheck and devoting all of their salaries to expenses with little to nothing left over at the end of the month, according to the report. That number is nine percentage points higher than a year ago.

Do you want me to go on?

I know people that live paycheck to paycheck.  They eat out several times a week, go to starbucks every morning, spend on frivolous things, etc.  

Paycheck to paycheck to cover basic needs is one thing.  Not reducing expenditures that can easily be reduced is another.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, landman said:

I know people that live paycheck to paycheck.  They eat out several times a week, go to starbucks every morning, spend on frivolous things, etc.  

Paycheck to paycheck to cover basic needs is one thing.  Not reducing expenditures that can easily be reduced is another.

Reducing expenditures on things that have become normalized is extremely difficult for people to deal with mentally. It makes them feel super poor and economically disadvantaged. Stop coming here and talking about shit you clearly have no idea about. All you people live in such a fucking bubble it’s unreal. Get out there, talk to normal people that aren’t in your bubble and then report back on your findings.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, landman said:

I know people like that, too.  They are mad as hell that Biden has made them cut back on their venti mocha cappuccinos.

I am not arguing 64% of Americans are about to be homeless or die from economic hardship.  I am arguing they are overwhelmingly going to vote against the people they have been successfully told to blame for their having to cut back.  Again, feel free to look down your nose at them, but you are choosing to cling to your sense of superiority at the expense of a functioning democratic republic.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

What bubble do you live in where you can say this? 

I'm in consumer retail and the customer is strong to quite strong.  Every single major retailer is doing well.  All of the suppliers are doing well.  Airlines are packed.  Disney is packed.

People downscale are struggling but that's not 64%.  People think "severe pain" is because they're putting $4 gas into their Tahoe.

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm in consumer retail and the customer is strong to quite strong.  Every single major retailer is doing well.  All of the suppliers are doing well.  Airlines are packed.  Disney is packed.

People downscale are struggling but that's not 64%.  People think "severe pain" is because they're putting $4 gas into their Tahoe.

That’s exactly what he said.  And most are going to blame whatever current admin this happens under because they don’t understand simple domestic macro economics, much less anything pared down from there. And lol understanding anything with global pressures. Fair or not, it’s something most all admins have had to deal with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Maybe if they weren’t so fucking stupid to think Biden is to blame then they wouldn’t be in this predicament to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Without a doubt people are hurting. But people are also hurting when unemployment is at 2% and the stock market is at an all-time high. 

Paycheck to paycheck is an interest stat but you can place some pro athletes in that category who make in excess of 8 figures annually.

Paycheck to paycheck has 2 categories:

• people that barely have enough (or not) to only pay for their non-discretionary spending.
  • people that overspend on discretionary which creates the struggle to pay both their discretionary and non-discretionary bills.

I'm sure the second is not fun and definitely stressful but there is a level of control that placed them in this category.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe if they weren’t so fucking stupid to think Biden is to blame then they wouldn’t be in this predicament to begin with. 

That's roughly 150 million voters you are telling to fuck off.  Biden had just over 81 million in 2020, and exceeded Trump's total by only 7 million votes.   Those numbers do not bode well for your and my desire to not see the GQP gain total control of the federal government in 2024 and cementing their darkening agenda as the law of the land.

But hey, at least your ragey BBS intardnet cred will still be intact.

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Without a doubt people are hurting. But people are also hurting when unemployment is at 2% and the stock market is at an all-time high. 

Paycheck to paycheck is an interest stat but you can place some pro athletes in that category who make in excess of 8 figures annually.

Paycheck to paycheck has 2 categories:

• people that barely have enough (or not) to only pay for their non-discretionary spending.
  • people that overspend on non-discretionary which creates the struggle to pay both their discretionary and non-discretionary bills.

I'm sure the second is not fun and definitely stressful but there is a level of control that placed them in this category.

People that live paycheck to paycheck are fundamentally stupid, most of the time.  Some are actually just poor.

Regardless, the large majority of the 64% who could live within their means, but aren't, are not going to vote for the good guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

As much as I despised Trump I never gave him credit or derision for gas prices.  Same with Obama, Bush, etc.  People that do so are regarded.  Just like stocks, pretty much everyone knows the general trends and somehow ascribe them to one man.  It’s short sighted.  

Now artificially keeping them low to wear a hat about the markets hitting new highs?  Pushing legislation to lower taxes for corporations that simply buy back their stocks?  Arguing that sensible regulation is a problem and thus letting things like 2008 happen or promising FF industry you’re going to bring back their mining jobs?  

That’s the shit that pisses me off when a democrat inherits the results of their failed policies, gets punished as the economy corrects to account for it, and then gets runoff by a rigged election system…and any opportunity to really fix those things gets stopped by the party of no.  

Now that opens the doors for draconian social policies that have my minority, gay, whatever friends nervous as hell.  Shit I’m worried what this country will look like for my kids.  

Instead of investing for the inevitable surge of demand as covid waned, these huge companies were buying back their stock and idling supply/capital goods to keep their short-sighted investors happy.  I’ve been to Disney and flown in the past year…they’re using that excuse to raise prices, reduce service and drive up margin.  Consumers and small businesses are paying the price.  Makes me sick.  

/pointless rant over 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

People that live paycheck to paycheck are fundamentally stupid, most of the time.  Some are actually just poor.

Regardless, the large majority of the 64% who could live within their means, but aren't, are not going to vote for the good guys.

Exactly.  It doesn't matter who or what is truly at fault here.  One thing this timeline has made abundantly clear is that people are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid reality when reality reflects they fucking suck.   Added to that, conservatives have a lot of experience exploiting others misfortune to make their fortune.   So they are capitalizing on a huge number of voter's economic pain, giving them a person to blame other than themselves while saying, "Look, we only hold the supreme court, we can't do anything until you vote us back in".  Those large number of voters who are being stretched more and more thin financially would overwhelmingly vote for economic change if the election were held today.

For Biden to have any hope of a 2nd term, he has to get a shit ton of those roughly 150 million voters to believe he is guiding the economy in the right direction.  He cannot afford to say fuck you, don't blame me if you are addicted to lattes and eating out and are otherwise trying to live above your means.

People who live paycheck to paycheck are not, most of the time, fundamentally stupid. Holy shit. 
The game is rigged.
I think the GOP voters that live paycheck to paycheck are fundamentally stupid, but not because they live paycheck to paycheck.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

As much as I despised Trump I never gave him credit or derision for gas prices.  Same with Obama, Bush, etc.  People that do so are regarded.  Just like stocks, pretty much everyone knows the general trends and somehow ascribe them to one man.  It’s short sighted.  

Now artificially keeping them low to wear a hat about the markets hitting new highs?  Pushing legislation to lower taxes for corporations that simply buy back their stocks?  Arguing that sensible regulation is a problem and thus letting things like 2008 happen or promising FF industry you’re going to bring back their mining jobs?  

That’s the shit that pisses me off when a democrat inherits the results of their failed policies, gets punished as the economy corrects to account for it, and then gets runoff by a rigged election system…and any opportunity to really fix those things gets stopped by the party of no.  

Now that opens the doors for draconian social policies that have my minority, gay, whatever friends nervous as hell.  Shit I’m worried what this country will look like for my kids.  

Instead of investing for the inevitable surge of demand as covid waned, these huge companies were buying back their stock and idling supply/capital goods to keep their short-sighted investors happy.  I’ve been to Disney and flown in the past year…they’re using that excuse to raise prices, reduce service and drive up margin.  Consumers and small businesses are paying the price.  Makes me sick.  

/pointless rant over 

I remember a lot of people on both sides giving W shit about gas prices.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't buy that 64% of the public is experiencing severe economic pain. At least due to the current problems that we're facing. 

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you believe that only people below the poverty line can experience economic pain?

My mother and I were not technically below the poverty line.  But she was a single parent and a public school teacher.  We lived in an apartment and were absolutely paycheck-to-paycheck.  Most of the time, she did very well in making sure I got to play Little League and we got to take small family vacations, like a road trip to San Antonio.  In times like these, those are the things that would be first to get cut, because they had to be.

Now, do you think that a mother having to tell her son, "no" to things that 6 months ago she could afford to say, "yes" to isn't experiencing economic pain?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

People who live paycheck to paycheck are not, most of the time, fundamentally stupid. Holy shit. 

The game is rigged.

I'm not referring to poor people.  There are a shit ton of people way above the poverty line that live paycheck to paycheck, in part because the system is fucked, but in greater part because they gotta have that $1500 iPhone, and that Tahoe on lease, and a 3000 sq ft mcmansion they can't afford and so on and so forth.

They could live within their means and even save something, but they choose not to.  This includes a bunch of people in the top 10-20% of income brackets.  Those are the ones I'm referring to.

This is not the same as saying poor people choose to be poor.  People do make bad choices, though.  And a lotta those people are going to compound their bad choices in the 2022 and 2024 elections.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not referring to poor people.  There are a shit ton of people way above the poverty line that live paycheck to paycheck, in part because the system is fucked, but in greater part because they gotta have that $1500 iPhone, and that Tahoe on lease, and a 3000 sq ft mcmansion they can't afford and so on and so forth.

They could live within their means and even save something, but they choose not to.

This is not the same as saying poor people choose to be poor.  People do make bad choices, though.

Not tell me what the wealthy people who don't have to worry about these things did to deserve to be rich.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Not tell me what the wealthy people who don't have to worry about these things did to deserve to be rich.

Not saying that.

Everyone feels the pinch of higher prices.  Fifty dollar fill ups grind my gears like a mofo and I only have a 15-gallon tank.  It's not going to break me.

The poor, who are absolutely being wrecked by this hopefully won't vote GOP simply because of this.  But as we've seen, quite a few are already dedicated Trumpkins.  And there are probably a few more that will vote against incumbent Dems because of their ignorance.

But there are others, whose finances are tenuous by choice/stupidity who are very likely to lash out at Biden and vote for Republicans for the very same reason their finances are tenuous:  they don't see cause and effect.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not saying that.

Everyone feels the pinch of higher prices.  Fifty dollar fill ups grind my gears like a mofo and I only have a 15-gallon tank.  It's not going to break me.

The poor, who are absolutely being wrecked by this hopefully won't vote GOP simply because of this.  But as we've seen, quite a few are already dedicated Trumpkins.

But there are others, whose finances are tenuous by choice/stupidity who are very likely to lash out at Biden and vote for Republicans for the very same reason their finances are tenuous:  they don't see cause and effect.

I'm not blaming Biden (or Trump for that matter)  for the system.  I just bristle when I see intelligent folks assign some kind of "they buy phones they can't afford" attitude to people who's real world wages have not gone up in forever.   I personally lash out at the system and long have stated it isn't right vs left as much as it is the owners versus the non-owners.  But that doesn't really gain much traction other than certain subreddits.  Also, being a defeatist in these terms I don't see it getting better.  Guess it bothers me to blame the victim.

There are many wealthy equivalents of 'bought something they couldn't afford.'  They just get bailed out while the lowers are scolded for being greedy and lazy.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm not blaming Biden (or Trump for that matter)  for the system.  I just bristle when I see intelligent folks assign some kind of "they buy phones they can't afford" attitude to people who's real world wages have not gone up in forever.   I personally lash out at the system and long have stated it isn't right vs left as much as it is the owners versus the non-owners.  But that doesn't really gain much traction other than certain subreddits.  Also, being a defeatist in these terms I don't see it getting better.  Guess it bothers me to blame the victim.

There are many wealthy equivalents of 'bought something they couldn't afford.'  They just get bailed out while the lowers are scolded for being greedy and lazy.

Well, I should check myself a bit.  If we accept that 64% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, that's a startling number.

That means that something on the order of 14% of people over the median income live paycheck to paycheck. But, the median household income in the US is only about $70k, which is not enough to really get by. 

I know and know of people that make much much more than that and live paycheck to paycheck, essentially.  And they are highly likely to vote "for change," falsely attributing this to Biden.  Those are the people I'm mad at.

Seems like a lot of those "paycheckers" are actually poor, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I should check myself a bit.  If we accept that 64% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, that's a startling number.

That means that something on the order of 14% of people over the median income live paycheck to paycheck. But, the median household income in the US is only about $70k, which is not enough to really get by. 

I know and know of people that make much much more than that and live paycheck to paycheck, essentially.  And they are highly likely to vote "for change," falsely attributing this to Biden.  Those are the people I'm mad at.

Seems like a lot of those "paycheckers" are actually poor, though.

I will tell you that I know a lot of "rich" people that definitely live paycheck to paycheck.  One of our friends here in Dallas lost her job a few years ago and she told my wife she had 2 months to find a new job or her and her husband wouldn't be able to pay their mortgage.  They live in a $800K house and are your typical upper middle class type people who don't save a penny and have nothing in the bank but spend, spend, spend.  I don't feel bad for people like this.  I do feel bad for the people struggling to make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, that aren't living above their means but are just trying to get by paying for rent, food, and necessities.  I bet if everybody in North Dallas lost their jobs tomorrow over half would have no money in the bank within 3 months if not sooner and have no idea how to pay for their McMansions and luxury car leases.  Sad but true.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will tell you that I know a lot of "rich" people that definitely live paycheck to paycheck.  One of our friends here in Dallas lost her job a few years ago and she told my wife she had 2 months to find a new job or her and her husband wouldn't be able to pay their mortgage.  They live in a $800K house and are your typical upper middle class type people who don't save a penny and have nothing in the bank but spend, spend, spend.  I don't feel bad for people like this.  I do feel bad for the people struggling to make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, that aren't living above their means but are just trying to get by paying for rent, food, and necessities.  I bet if everybody in North Dallas lost their jobs tomorrow over half would have no money in the bank within 3 months if not sooner and have no idea how to pay for their McMansions and luxury car leases.  Sad but true.  

Yep, exactly the type I was thinking of.

There's not necessarily a lot of correlation between income statistics and those who live paycheck to paycheck.  But given the paucity of the median income, I suppose that much of the 64% may be comprised of actual poor people and near-poor that are being squeezed by the system even before inflation.

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

800k house poor people can eat shit. Fuck them that's insane and they should get no sympathy for "living" paycheck to paycheck 

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’m in the club EVERY day

You are exactly who I thought of when the out of touch discussion started lol

Edited by Zepol87
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

That's roughly 150 million voters you are telling to fuck off.  Biden had just over 81 million in 2020, and exceeded Trump's total by only 7 million votes.   Those numbers do not bode well for your and my desire to not see the GQP gain total control of the federal government in 2024 and cementing their darkening agenda as the law of the land.

But hey, at least your ragey BBS intardnet cred will still be intact.

I'm telling them to not be gullible dumbasses.  If they weren't so fucking stupid they would know better than to vote for the party of treason.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This.

At every economic tier, there are people struggling to be there.  For every poor/working class type, there's a family in Plano with no real money and for every one of them, there's a guy with four houses and no liquidity.  They're all months away from ruin.

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

here we go again with the purely fantastical premise of: if you only drank less coffee you wouldn't be poor. GTFOH with that shit

i saw a black person with a lonestar card use a smart phone yesterday!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This.

At every economic tier, there are people struggling to be there.  For every poor/working class type, there's a family in Plano with no real money and for every one of them, there's a guy with four houses and no liquidity.  They're all months away from ruin.

Again, fuck those people. 

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon