2022 Poker: Ship it!

Lurch

I don’t mind a new player and the dealer having to help them out a little bit, especially when the new player is listening and trying to pick up on the rules and momentum of the game. But the drunk idiot who has that magic combo of not paying attention, not knowing the rules, and really slowing down the game . . . can only last so long before the floor needs to get involved. Obviously you aren’t trying to run off a fish but there are limits to that rule.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

went back to the lodge tonight, had another nice round of cards. i'm definitely about to become a regular lol. 

Let me know the next time you go play so we can play together. There are several topics that I know will put you on tilt. Ching Ching 

• Haha 1

I don’t mind a new player and the dealer having to help them out a little bit, especially when the new player is listening and trying to pick up on the rules and momentum of the game. But the drunk idiot who has that magic combo of not paying attention, not knowing the rules, and really slowing down the game . . . can only last so long before the floor needs to get involved. Obviously you aren’t trying to run off a fish but there are limits to that rule.

This is all true. But out of the dozens of times I’ve seen someone that drunk at a cash game, each and every time they donked off several buyins.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CBT said:

$100/$200 at the lodge. Live stream on YouTube.

I’ve enjoyed their streams. The players are having fun and the announcers don’t go too heavy on tedious poker stats and strategies. Maybe a little heavy on promotion of the room but that is really what the stream is for. 

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
And that promotion seems to be working. Their monthly $500k guarantee tournament ended up with a $1.2M prize pool. 

Spent all day there yesterday and Friday. Yep the prize pool for the tourney was above 1.2,  but it also brought in tons of cash game players. Wait list early Friday was in the 60's and yesterday was close to 100. Like 30 cash game tables on Friday and almost as much last night. Was crazy.

Long waitlist for $2/5, so I decided to sit at a short handed $5/10 game for a bit. I put down $1200 and then they tell me it’s auto straddle to $25. Not great but I give it a go.

Within an hour I run it up to $4800!

7 handed. Folds to me and I open CO to $75 w JdJh. SB (young Asian dude, $7k) makes it $350. Others fold. I call. $735 pot.

QhQd7s. He makes is $225 and I call. $1185 pot.

7c. He bets $600. I call. $2385 pot.

5s. He bets $1600. So $1600 to win $4k.

He’s played a lot of hands. He leans aggressive but isn’t a maniac that I’ve seen. I’ve shown myself to be solid and not scared money, though an admittedly small sample size so I doubt he has any clear read of me.

What do you do?

Young asian dude? If that is at the Lodge, he's 3 betting with pocket sixes or fives.....

I'm trying to figure his C bet, seems a bit light after the flop. Then bets half on the turn and then 2/3 on the river....AQ? If he hits two on the flop and drags you along, then tip the cap and move on. Maybe more AK or a pair similar in strength to your JJ? Fuck, I probably make the call hoping he is betting AK or 10s, KK seems unlikely for his flop bet, but lately I have run into some bad run outs. Soooooooooo,......

Bored Benedict Cumberbatch GIF by BBC

Sorry, missed that. Given description plus CO vs SB dynamic just makes this a call without a good read I think.

Crying call and muck when he shows Q9s?

Yeah if we are folding as strong as JJ we are basically folding everything but a queen. We basically never have KK or AA or a seven.

He could be betting to try to fold a chop out if he has A high. Just have to be good 2/7 of the time. Against an aggressive opp I think it’s just a shrug/cry call.
  • Like 2

I fold. It bothered me so much that I left on dealer change, though still with a hefty profit.

Probably the longest river tank I’ve had in years.

His cbet size was consistent with other hands I’d seen earlier on the table, so that was almost a snap call. I possibly could have raised, but didn’t give that option much weight. I expected a check from him on turn, before it came out.

Turn was confusing. Most players slow down here, even with strong hands. I still called fairly quickly. I could definitely still be holding a queen.

Which makes the river even more difficult. Seems like he’d check call with his entire range other than those with a queen. Ie it’s either the nuts or a bluff.

But let’s be honest here… the real dollar amount of the bet got to me. I’m not super comfortable calling off $1600 when it’s not super obvious I’m likely good. Ultimately that’s what bothered me most, and why I had to leave the table.

Don’t half ass your trips to the nose bleeds.

• Like 3

(Insert video of How to Lose with Jacks)

Having played fair amount of 5/10 cash money I think your fold is quite reasonable. Good analysis and discussion. Crying call also works there but feels to me more likely you are beat. Only time I seem to win with Jacks is hitting a set on the flop, otherwise I prefer to light the cards on fire.

Playing tonight’s Bestbet $2/5 stream starting at 5 CST, and tomorrow’s $2/5 w $25 BB ante starting at 3 CST. These games have been very good the last 6 weeks or so, usually w auto-straddle and $25-50 bomb pots on dealer change. Could use a few good sessions ahead of my Vegas trip on Monday

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftawe1WZqxRfJGNsojGkSQ

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty disappointed with the action at Aria. Room is full and it’s a solid hour wait to get in a game, but then the play is just… lame

I’m like 8 hours in without seeing a single $1k pot. Everyone is opening to $15 because $20 apparently just causes the whole table to fold. No drunks, no gamblers, no splashers. Just a tight, boring game.

I can steal a bunch of pots, but they’re like $25.

PLO question:

8 handed, UTG raises, everyone calls, you have 8-8-J-T double suited clubs and spades in BB and call.

Flop is 8-T-K, two hearts. You check, and it checks around.

Turn is a K. You bet 1/2 pot, UTG calls and Button calls.

Are you betting that turn out of position? If so, what sizing?

River is a Q, giving you bottom full house.

Is this a bet and fold to a raise, or a check-call? If you bet, what sizing are you using?

I have two slots available in a four pack for the All In for the Hungry charity poker tourny in New Braunfels on Feb 26. Individual tickets normally $275 and are $325 day of. These slots are $225. First place is a WSOP main event package worth $12,000. Info at https://www.downtownrotarynb.org/sitepage/all-in-for-the-hungry-texas-hold-em-tournament.

What, you couldn't put him on 7-4?????  Man I thought you were better than that!  😂  

You just have to laugh those off and move on to the next one, which I'm sure you did.  I love playing with the kids who can't and you can just watch it eat them up the whole rest of the night.  

Do you ever lead that turn?

No, I don’t think I ever would. Kh might call, but everything else would fold. Alternatively, I might see him barrel the turn with a few other hearts.

We talked about it, and he said he would fold to any turn bet, so not leading out turned out to be the right call here. Until it wasn’t.

I’m curious if river had been a non-7/4 would he have called my overbet. I sized up to look like a bluff, but unfortunately priced myself out of ever folding to his shove.