2022 Poker: Ship it!

Lurch

Played live for the first time in several years. 

I was in a small tournament with 26 runners. We were down to 11. Blinds were 3k/6k with a 6k BB ante. I have 39k in chips on the button and look down at a pair of 2s.

Big stack in middle position raises to 12k. 

Should I wait for a better spot to put my stack in the middle?

Folding the 22 here b/c we are never way ahead and have zero fold equity.  I'd jam over the raise a bit wider than Lurch describes, but it depends on how active the chip leader has been. 

I agree with Lurch's range for jamming from button if folded to you. Prob adding in suited kings and maybe suited queens, again depending a bit on the players in the blinds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got into Vegas yesterday about 4:30.  Got checked in and got on the 2/5 list.  Made a quick $200 money line bet on the Stros, grabbed a beer with the drink ticket and got right on a new 2/5 table starting up.  It was hard keeping a good table together, mostly pros looking for easy marks kept picking up and moving tables.  Got a few more recs as the night progressed.  Doubled up pretty early with AK vs QQ but then lost $600 ish to an all in reraise to my $375 turn bet.  I just had an open ender but due to the opponent thought that would take it down easily.  I was wrong.  Thinking he must have flopped a set and checked it.  He didnt’t show.  Couple hours later I was able to get it back against him with AQ vs KK.  I flopped the Q and turned the A and he moved all in.  Overall it was a pretty easy table with most of the pros hardly playing any hands and the occasional recs buying in light and dusting off.  In for $500, out with $1,630.  Quit about 11:45 and took a little walk on the Strip to soak in the sights and sounds.  More updates to follow.  Prolly not much poker today.  Pool and then steak at the Wynn. Maybe go check out some of the day 2 $100k WSOP High Roller event and maybe play a couple hours at after dinner. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c387d06b1e121b9a70b3dceef64dff27.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.696942c505fcd1caf0bb35eb13dca0f3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7149155db67bc99096e76e3252ba6f37.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45b56428d1601d2dac0ad04e17d0a344.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e7bfea4218c3ea954cb5bdbec80d6763.jpeg

• Like 4

Apparently at one of the WSoP events yesterday, during a color up break a rookie dealer thought she was supposed to drag in all of the players chips and sort them. It took them 2 hours to recover. At least the job market is good.

• Haha 1

Blacklab's month of poker is off to a good start. Wife and kiddos out of town for a few weeks so I'm going to play a bunch for a few weeks.

Played the big O tournament at 52 social last night. ICM chopped with 4 left and took home 634 after putting in around 150. Had second biggest stack. Only one table ran for the tournament, maybe 12 people total paid. Garuntee of $2000, I have to think there was a pretty big overlay.

Tonight hit up TCH for their PLO tournament and we did an even chop with 7 left. $2280 prize pool so we all got $325. I put in around $130 so ended up around +$200.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yes to both.

I'm a way better tournament player than cash player and these PLO and big O tournaments are so soft you have to really run bad not to cash. There are always players in these tournaments that never play bigo or plo.  I mainly play poker for the enjoyment of playing, and knowing I can get 3-4 hours of entertainment for under $100 is a good thing. I'm averaging $30 an hour and cashed in 65% of the ones I've played in the last year. 

Plus there's only a few big o cash games in town. I went to play big o at red star last night and it didn't make so I went up to TCH for the tournament. Red star runs Sunday, Tuesday, Friday and there's an underground game that runs Monday, Wednesday, Thursday but they only make about half the time. 52 social runs big o sporadically and shuffle 512 used to run Monday and Thursday but it dried up.

PLO runs all the time at the Lodge but it's a complete shit show. You need to bring 5+ buyins. Buy in for $300 and you'll be all in if you play to the river on a majority of hands.  I was talking to a dealer from the lodge last night who was playing the tournament at TCH and he was talking about the 1-1 PLO they started running at the lodge to try to have a small game people could enjoy but everyone buys in for the max $300 and half the table is all in on every hand for the first hour and if you come to the table a few hours after it opens everyone has $2-$5k.

Playing Sunday night free roll at shuffle 512. Holy shit what a shit show. 

first hand I get AcKcKsTd. Flop kq8c, pot it get two callers, runs out 3c,2c, more than double up. 

Second hand seat one puts her cards down toward the dealer, dealer mucks them. Fat old karen goes nuts, old Bahstan dick head in seat two keeps egging her on. Floor comes over, asks the dealer what happened, seat 1 and 2 won’t shut up and keep talking over dealer, floor tells them to shut up and act like adults. Karen grabs dealers arm dealer tells her dealer tells her never to touch him, Karen guarantees she won’t tip him ever again,  he looks like he wants to punch her, ends up standing up and walking outside. 
floor deals the next few hands till new dealer shows up. 

currently 8 runners, rebuys for another hour. In second only because someone rebought for $100

Couldn't have asked for a better final 8.  Young female who thought it was a holdem tournament but kept getting lucky and stacking chips, very passive calling station with a huge stack, two really old dudes that would get confused on many hands, two uber aggressive guys that always overplay big pairs and one guy that was super tight.

Build my stack from $50k up to around $150 by getting decent hands and hitting some flops. Big stack takes out second biggest, little stacks keep taking out each other and all of a sudden we're down to 4. Passive calling station with $600k, me and super tight around $150 and one old guy at $30k, blinds at $5-10k. Top 3 get paid. Old guy asks about paying the bubble. Big stack says no way. Old guy says fuck you guys I'm gonna win. He wins the next two pots and knocks out super tight dude.

Both guys are pretty passive and I manage to win several decent pots and get up to around $300k. Old guy has around $100k. He pots pre flop, I call with KT97. Flop is K96 he goes all in, I call, he shows AA53. Turn 7, river A.

Very next hand I get KKQ9. Pot preflop, big stack calls. Flop AAT. He is first to act, shakes head says "I guess I call", and lays down JJ99. Dealer lets him know it was his turn to act and I haven't acted yet. He says oh fuck, check, I pot/all in and he calls. Turn J. River J.

Took home $250 after $30 entry and $40 add on for a $180 profit. 3 for 3 and on to big o tomorrow at lodge. 

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

Very next hand I get KKQ9. Pot preflop, big stack calls. Flop AAT. He is first to act, shakes head says "I guess I call", and lays down JJ99. Dealer lets him know it was his turn to act and I haven't acted yet. He says oh fuck, check, I pot/all in and he calls. Turn J. River J.

GIF by Giphy QA

On 6/13/2022 at 12:16 AM, blacklab said:

Lol.

You're in a NLH sit and go, been playing a couple hours, and it's down to three handed. Blinds are going up quickly. No ante.

The guy on your right is a good LAG player. He's been very aggressive, but every time he's been called he's had it.

You have a 12 BB stack in the Big Blind. LAG is the big stack. Button folds, and the LAG shoves.

What do you do with pocket fours?

You're in a NLH sit and go, been playing a couple hours, and it's down to three handed. Blinds are going up quickly. No ante.
The guy on your right is a good LAG player. He's been very aggressive, but every time he's been called he's had it.
You have a 12 BB stack in the Big Blind. LAG is the big stack. Button folds, and the LAG shoves.
What do you do with pocket fours?

Paying 1, 2, or 3 spots? Stack of button? Rough number of blinds in LAG stack?

With a BB ante I would def call since we are getting a good price and also our price per round is way higher. Here it’s closer for sure since the pot odds are less good and we can see more hands to get the proverbial better spot.

I’d def jam it over a standard open. I’d def call if he’s jamming K2s and K3s. I’d def fold if they play too tight shorthanded and you can easily steal or if button is terrible. Def calling 66+.

Used to making decisions with the ante, need to run some no ante numbers later to double check instincts here tho.

So we need to call 11 BB to win a total pot of 24 so we need 11/24 equity, or 45.8%.  

Against a range of all pairs, all suited aces, A8o+, KQ, KJs, QJs we have 45.4%. Give him all aces and all broadway combos and we are up to 49.4%. 

If you take out AA and KK in the first range, we are up to 47% (since he might raise small or limp to trap with those). 

So it's a pretty close decision, dependent heavily on his exact range and your opponent tendencies, ease of steal, etc., but almost certainly not a big mistake to call. 

Were payouts 50-30-20? 

Edited by TXSooner518