2022 Poker: Ship it!

Lurch

19 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

In another incident, while playing a private game of Ace-to-Five Lowball, a poker variation in which the object is to have the five lowest cards, Brunson noticed that every time he bluffed, his opponent, a man named Red Dodson, would fold. Brunson was making a killing, and so, once again, he bet big. Only this time, Dodson bet with him. “I know y’all have been bluffing me all night,” Dodson said. “Let’s see what you do now.”

Dodson turned his cards over, grinning. He had the second-best hand in the game: an ace, two, three, four, and six. There was no way he could lose—or so he thought. When Brunson revealed his cards, Dodson stared in horror at an ace, two, three, four, and five—the best hand possible. “Red’s face turned white, his eyes rolled back, and he started turning blue,” Brunson writes. Red fell out of his chair and was dead before he hit the floor.” While they waited for the paramedics to arrive, Brunson collected the pot. “I felt bad,” he writes, “but that’s poker, and bad beats happen.” 

Ice-fucking-cold

8 days into the poker blitz. played 6 tournaments, cashed in 4, should have cashed in 5 but I fucked up Tuesday.

By far the funnest tournament has been the bomb pot PLO tournament on Tuesday at 52 Social.

Tonight played in the bigo at 52 social. 6 runners, we chopped at 4. $1100 put into the pot, $2k paid out, $900 overlay. I got $450 after putting in $280 for a $170 profit. Probably should have just played tight on the $80 to start.

At the break I had 80k in chips. $2k prize pool. $50 gets you 50k in chips, $100 gets you 100k in chips. Around 900k in chips in play. 

Every chip was worth 2k/900k = $.002 each so 50k in chips worth $111. I didn't do all the math but it seemed with round numbers of ICM in my head it was right to buy chips so I bought 50k for $50. Looking at the math I should have bought $100 worth. Is ICM the right way to think about the add on or some other way I should think about it?

On 6/17/2022 at 12:16 AM, blacklab said:

8 days into the poker blitz. played 6 tournaments, cashed in 4, should have cashed in 5 but I fucked up Tuesday.

By far the funnest tournament has been the bomb pot PLO tournament on Tuesday at 52 Social.

Tonight played in the bigo at 52 social. 6 runners, we chopped at 4. $1100 put into the pot, $2k paid out, $900 overlay. I got $450 after putting in $280 for a $170 profit. Probably should have just played tight on the $80 to start.

At the break I had 80k in chips. $2k prize pool. $50 gets you 50k in chips, $100 gets you 100k in chips. Around 900k in chips in play. 

Every chip was worth 2k/900k = $.002 each so 50k in chips worth $111. I didn't do all the math but it seemed with round numbers of ICM in my head it was right to buy chips so I bought 50k for $50. Looking at the math I should have bought $100 worth. Is ICM the right way to think about the add on or some other way I should think about it?

If you know there is going to be overlay then you want to invest as much as possible. Of course the optimal strategy is convincing all six people not to add on and chop after the 1st hand. 😂

Edited by Irieguy

You have to play 2 hours till the rebuy period is up or we would have chopped. I told everyone at the start lets be nice and chop in two hours. Everyone nodded their heads and then 3 of the first 4 hands had an all in and call leading to 2 rebuys.

And yeah, the ad-on period at the end of the two hours becomes a prisoners' dilemma. If no one buys in great, and if everyone buys then you probably should too.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

You have to play 2 hours till the rebuy period is up or we would have chopped. I told everyone at the start lets be nice and chop in two hours. Everyone nodded their heads and then 3 of the first 4 hands had an all in and call leading to 2 rebuys.

And yeah, the ad-on period at the end of the two hours becomes a prisoners' dilemma. If no one buys in great, and if everyone buys then you probably should too.

Well summarized. And classic poker player behavior. 😂

lots and lots of new dealers who dont have the full experience of a mega large tournament like this.

somewhere back a page or 2 they mentioned how during one of the WSOP tourneys a fucking chip color up break caused a dealer to get confused to merge all the fucking stacks on the table. it supposedly took hours to check the video and get the stacks right

Edited by AUS-97HORN

I ran it up to 250k and was chip leader for a few hands. Then lost every hand I played for about an hour.

ICM chopped with 4 left, I got $255 for a $95 profit.

At the break I had 50k in chips and counted around 800k chips in play. With $1500 guaranteed $1500/800k = .001875. $100 gets you 50k in chips = .002 so it was a good deal.

Did the ICM with me with 50k less in chips and I would have made $116 less, so the $100 got me $116 and it also allowed me to play a few hands that I probably wouldn't have if I had less chips so it was probably a good add on.

Now cashed 5 of 7 tournaments, up $766 and averaging $30 an hour.

• Like 2

$2/5. Have run stack up to $1900.

UTG (unknown. I’d guess from India. 50ish dude. I’d guess not very good. I’ve seen him open limp and open raise from multiple positions, so this is probably the better part of his range. Saw him make a bad bluff attempt in last hour) opens to $30 with $1k behind. 2 callers, I call BTN with 7s7c to set mine. Blinds fold. $120 pot.

8d7d5d. UTG stares at board for quite a few seconds and checks his hand a few times. Finally over bets out $150. Others fold. I consider raising, but decide to just call. $420 pot.

3c. UTG bets $150 again. I call. $720 pot.

6h. UTG bets $300.

Such a weird fucking spot. Him looking back at his cards on the flop makes me think he’s most likely non-suited, though the straight-iness of the flop could have him checking his cards for that. I’d guess he doesn’t have any 4’s here but Ad4d. Does have a few 9s here, 99, Ad9d, Td9d (though in our room many will check this down trying to catch straight flush and win high hand promo), other A9s and T9s combos probably don’t bet turn (?)

Obviously he could have flopped a flush with any AdXd and maybe Td9d+ suited connectors.

I think he may do this with all of his over pairs, particularly if holding a diamond blocker.

He might do this with various unsuited Ad that missed.

We could also have a set over set situation, which I’m winning two (55 and 66) while losing to 88.

Jam $400 more eff / Call / Fold?

Doesn’t seem like I could get him to fold any better hands, so jamming is out, I think.

$300 to win $1020. Am I winning 30% of the time here?

forget rolling eyes and calling.

best way to do this in my opinion is take 3 black chips and stretch accross the felt placing them as close to villian as possible when you call.. makes it so they dont have to wait for the dealer to hand them the chips, you do it for them.

I know I suck, and I always assume my opponent has it... but at least in the 2/5 stakes i play - that long stare to me especially when its a non-optimal player type, almost always means nut fucking flush flopped. and straight flush here is actually a strong possiblity 

but its a crying call. 

Paid to see his Qd9d. I’m not really sure what he was doing with his flop overbet but it certainly worked to build the pot. I’d guess I’d have stacked him with a paired river, so as an opponent I don’t mind.

I got most of it back from him later in the session with a super hidden rivered straight I caught with 85s. It took him and the dealer several beats to even see it when I showed the winner.

• Like 1

I imagine he was really confused if he had a strong hand chasing the straight flush, or a vulnerable hand with a middle flush scared of Ad and Kd hands catching up.

In his shoes (though Q9s is not in my UTG opening range), I’d also cbet this flop, but don’t want to chase off straights or really even the Ad and Kd hands. I’d probably go half pot on flop and perhaps 2/3rds on that blank turn. I’d probably check jam the river, hoping to induce a bluff from the flush chasers or possibly a made straight (though I’m not sure those frequently bet with the flush possibility out there)

Working theory: when you’ve developed an unwanted reputation as “too tight” when you’re playing properly, start straddling but change nothing else.

Note, this may only be effective if few others are straddling, otherwise there’s no raised awareness.

I’ve been breaking this out when I get two consecutive fold arounds to my opens/3bets. It seems to be reducing the hesitation to playing me by the regulars, at least for that session or until the table turns over.

There are recs that come in occasionally that have never seen the cashier cage. No matter how well they’re doing they burn through their stack when they’re ready to leave. Inevitably they crush a few boards with their shit hands before finally getting taken out.

$2/5 NLH w $800

UTG ($1k, solid reg 40ish black guy) limps. I open UTG1 to $35 w ThTd. I had raised my opening size from $20 to $25 to $30 to $35 over three hours as I kept getting 4+ callers. Didn’t work, as HJ, CO and UTG all call. $140 pot

JcTc9c. Checks to me and I cbet to $100. UTG calls. $340 pot.

Qh. Check check

Jh. UTG fires out $200.

Call or jam $665?

32 minutes ago, CBT said:

jam

I'm actually just calling here. He could be bluffing a missed draw in which case call = jam. What hands is he betting for value and calling a jam with as a "solid reg" that we beat? 99 exactly? I don't think a solid reg is calling jam on river with straight on a 3-flush paired board, esp since the board is 4-straight. Mayyyybe if he had AK since he beats all kings (but would we evvvvvvvvvver jam a bare king on this river?) but he's very unlikely to have AK since he limp/call pre. I guess the big question is what he does with a flush. I think he would certainly fold all non-nut flushes. Will he call with ace high flush? What are we raising pre, betting flop, checking turn, jamming over a river bet that loses to ace high flush here? Keep in mind ace high flush is the 3rd best clubs combo available, 4th best if he thinks we can have Q8cc, which would be an ambitious iso. 

We lose to JT, J9, QJ, KQcc, 87cc which are all squarely in limp/call range. We also lose to QQ/JJ though those are obv not very likely with limp/call pre. 

So I think jamming just folds out his bluffs and thin value hands and dunks us when he has us coolered, unless we are sure he stacks off with flush. Obv can't fold, but just don't see value in a jam against a good player. Against a moron, yes. 

Flying to Vegas today for a week+ of poker, LFGGGGGGGGGGG. BTuckPoker on Twitter for anyone who wants to follow along with hand and chip count minutia. 

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I leveled myself. Decided he knew I might bluff jam here so I jam hoping he’d call with less. He then almost leveled himself thinking I’d only jam QQ because of the paired board and was convinced I had it. It took him a full minute to call with QJ.

• Like 1

nits :)

I think there are plenty of hands a reg (how solid can he be if he's l/c UTG in a 2/5 game?) calls off a jam there. Especially the games Lurch typically posts about. (at least from what I remember.)  Him not phil-helmuth-style-insta-shoveling blows my mind a little. 

Now the 1/2 game at the poker club in Dallas I play at once a month, this can easily be a just call. If you knew he was that tight, then calling definitely becomes more likely. 

Edited by CBT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good point re him limping pre. He does do that frequently so perhaps solid isnt a good label. I would say he’s not splashy and a seemingly competent regular. I don’t ever see him get out of line, but he’s capable of smart bluffs. Not sure what to call that persona.

2/4 cashing this week. Lost $87

Monday big o at lodge, finished 17, top 12 paid, ran A94 into AA on a A94 flop. One buy in and one add on, $-140

Tuesday PLO bomb pot at 52 social, ICM chop with 4 to go, $120 to the good

Wednesday PLO at lodge, finished 5th, +$223.

Friday shuffle PLO bomb pot, finish 5th, they ICM chopped after I got knocked out. -$290

Total for the month, cashed in 7 of 11, up $679

• Like 1

I’m interested in your thought process on determining raise size in this situation.

I’ll hang up and listen

It’s going to vary some based on opp tendencies, my image, my range, positions, remaining stack depths, etc.

Here when it gets to me there is 3000 in the pot and 500 for me to call. Folding is obv right out. The opener was a frequent opener and the callers were fairly loose callers. I’m way ahead of their ranges so I am def gonna raise.

A pot-sized raise is to 4300. A half-pot raise is to 2500. I would say I’m generally going to be between those parameters barring something fairly out of the ordinary.

Factors that support going to the high end: I am way ahead of ranges; callers are loose and may call the 3b wide; out of position so favor ending hand or limiting opponents

Factors that support going smaller: I’m out of position; I’ve been folding for an hour so opponents may tighten up to a reraise esp a large one; I’m OOP and unlikely to get all folds with these opp so avoiding bloating pot is good.

I think the most critical one is how far ahead of their ranges I am, so I elected to go a bit larger than 3/4 pot. I did consider 4k strongly.
  • Like 1

Excellent thank you.

I’ve not been considering pot size, per se, when making these bet sizing decisions. I think my most typical approach is 3x the current bet, and perhaps an extra unit or two depending on how many callers there were.

When I saw your post, my gut said 2400 was a good number so the folds weren’t surprising. I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were trying to do, but it sounds like you wanted a caller, and priced up due to table and none of them turned out strong enough to find a call.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, Lurch said:

$2/5 NLH w $800

UTG ($1k, solid reg 40ish black guy) limps. I open UTG1 to $35 w ThTd. I had raised my opening size from $20 to $25 to $30 to $35 over three hours as I kept getting 4+ callers. Didn’t work, as HJ, CO and UTG all call. $140 pot

JcTc9c. Checks to me and I cbet to $100. UTG calls. $340 pot.

Qh. Check check

Jh. UTG fires out $200.

Call or jam $665?

Take this with a grain of salt since I don't play 2/5, but if effective stacks were 100 - 125 BBs then I don't think it's ever a mistake to get it all in with every full house in NLH. At 150 - 200 BB stacks if it's a mistake I don't think it's a big one.

I can see calling for the reasons TXSooner makes, but your opponent should have some flushes and some straights there too with your check on the turn, and it would be a shame to leave money on the table if he would call with some of those hands.

I think this is a really interesting hand. I had K-K UTG in a five-way pot a few years ago at Rounders in San Antonio on a J-T-9 of spades flop, holding the K of spades. I had no idea what to do. It was a 1/2 game with multiple good aggressive players with $3,000+ stacks, and I had about $600. They all had position on me and I checked since I'd fold to a raise. I should have switched tables.

What are you doing with A-A, K-K, and Q-Q on the flop if you don't have a club? Are you ever betting that turn with anything other than a flush?

I don't understand his flop call unless he had the Queen of clubs. And limp/calling UTG preflop with Q-J is not something I'd ever do.

Edited by Bookman

Excellent thank you.

I’ve not been considering pot size, per se, when making these bet sizing decisions. I think my most typical approach is 3x the current bet, and perhaps an extra unit or two depending on how many callers there were.

When I saw your post, my gut said 2400 was a good number so the folds weren’t surprising. I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were trying to do, but it sounds like you wanted a caller, and priced up due to table and none of them turned out strong enough to find a call.

A common heuristic I had seen for 3b size is 2.5x if in position and 3.5x out of position. And yeah then spiced up a bit for every caller in between. That also squares roughly with my guideposts I mentioned.

I def think I get 3 calls with 2400. So then the question becomes did I charge them enough equity to now play a 4 way pot out of position with TT, where I won’t love most flops? Not saying the answer to that question is certainly no, but that would be my concern with smaller sizing. Then on the flip side if I go too big, then I start just isolating myself against their monster hands and folding out everything I beat which also obv sucks. It’s def an art for sure, and imperfect.
  • Like 1

What are you doing with A-A, K-K, and Q-Q on the flop if you don't have a club? Are you ever betting that turn with anything other than a flush?

Still cbetting AA, KK, QQ and all AK on that flop

Prob cbetting turn w KK, QQ, and all AK

In one hour of poker I:

Lost a hand for 2x average stack in a tourney with 500k up top with KK to AT on T43hh all in. Turn Ah gives me flush draw redraw but nope.

Lose AA to K9 in a 3bet pre pot on 666 flop to running kings.

Run KK into AA (luckily fold pre bc lol opponents lol poker lol my life)

I don't understand his flop call unless he had the Queen of clubs. And limp/calling UTG preflop with Q-J is not something I'd ever do.

It was a parking lot hand, so I don’t recall even checking to see if it was Qc. It was definitely QJo, so, yes, a poor hand to be playing at all UTG, much less open limping with. His subsequent call pre was probably fine as last to act

Just got around to planning out my Vegas trip next week, and the tourney options are incredible!  Best I've seen during WSOP.  I'm really curious how they've managed to find enough dealers to service all of these tourney series at the same time, particularly at the Wynn where their standards seem to be a bit higher

Land early on Monday morning and will take the first of two $1100 stabs at satelliting into the Main Event at 1pm.  If I miss, I've got the second shot on Tuesday at the same time.

Depending on how those go, I'll have a TON of other options Tues through Sunday, including $1100 dailys at Wynn and Venetian, $400/600 dailys at Aria, and a $1700 multi-day Mystery Bounty at MGM. 

Historically, I'd mix in a bunch of cash games as well, but now that I play BestBet nearly every day in Jax, I'm inclined to just skip that on this trip and make it purely about tourneys, unless I think I need to refill the bankroll a bit given that my expectation to cash in these tourneys is fairly low.

• Like 4