2022 Poker: Ship it!

Lurch

Up and down week for the 4+ card tourney circuit

Sun - Plo Shuffle. Thought for sure I was finally going to bink one. Got heads up with big chip lead, 800k-200k against an old regular who may as well play his cards face up. Plays strait ABC poker. Lose 5 strait hands including strait-bigger strait, K high flush to A high flush, two pair T6 to two pair T7. Boop second place. Won $450, put in $150, $300 profit.

Mon Lodge BigO - can't get cards, get AKQJT, flop QTx, bet, call , K turn, get it all in, call. Other guy has AJ too, looks like a chop, river club and he has two clubs and two already on board and I'm out around 20th, top 12 paid.

Tue Plo Bomb pot 52 social - Second time I felt good about winning. Around 500k in chips, no one else above 100k with 6 to play with antes at 15k. Can't win a hand for a couple of orbits, one dude keeps winning all the pots, we get to 3 and chip leader does not want to ICM, so me and other short stack agree to chop 2/3 and give him first place money. Win $500, put in $250, $250 profit.

Thu BigO at 52 social. Finish 5th, top 4 chopped evenly. Didn't win an hand the last hour or so. $-230

Sat - Quarterly Big Big O at shuffle. $215 buy in. Fire two bullets, get no where.  $-460

Sun - PLO shuffle 512.  Every tournament should be like this. Play tight aggressive. Lose first buy in when with AA95 get it all in on J55 flop vs JJ. After buy in slowly build up stack. Super aggressive dude keeps raising and raising, showing bluffs and getting lucky and amasses a 300k+ stack with no one else very far over 100k. I wait patiently and get AcAd3c2d limp preflop, he pots, one other caller, I repot all in for $62k, call, call. Flop 9c5c4d. I can't ask for a better flop. They get all in and it's QsQcJsTc for aggro and KdKsJT for old ABC guy from last week. Turn 6 giving me a strait, river 9. Now I'm chip leader with $200k. Aggro guy boots his stack and we're down to 3 with one guy at 2 big blinds, ABC old guy and me at around 300k each. Two big blind guy wins 3 pots in a row, and now we're all about even.

Old guy limps to me in the big blind. I have KcTc8x2x, flop is Ks8c2c. I start thinking about how I'm going to trap him, he pots, I repot, we get it all in and he shows Ac9cxx. I'm ahead! yea. Turn Jc, I start trying to figure out what I need for a strait flush, completely forget about the two pair I got, K on the river gives me the boat, bye bye old man. 

Mr two blinds and I end up at 300k chips each after that hand, we agree to chop so I get $600 for a $420 profit.

Up $100 for the week, now up $779 for the month, played 68 hours, averaging $11 an hour.
Played 15 tournaments, cashed in 9.

• Like 2

$1100 satellite. Started w 10k but it’s going fast w 20 min levels and I’m down to 8k in lvl 3, 200/300/300

Aggro opens UTG1 to 700. He’s played like 80% of hands so far so he quickly earns two calls. I complete SB w 74hh. BB folds. 3400 pot

K74 rainbow. Check to UTG1 who makes it 1k. MP calls. I jam 7300 into 5400 pot. He snaps. MP folds and I get to see UTG1s cowboys. GG WP see you tomorrow

No other well timed tourneys today so I’m immediately breaking my plan and am off to Wynn to try to earn it back in $2/5.

Stupid game

0-2 in the satellite. Turned quads early for 2k into my 10k stack but couldnt get anything else going. Got AK in vs 99 with 20 bigs left each but missed. Out

Good news is it allows ample time to join Wynn $1M in lvl 4. $1100. 30k chips at 200/400/400. LFG

• Like 1

Good luck. How was the Wynn 2/5 game? I haven’t played there in awhile. Stack sizes and buy ins?

Tight. Everyone was competent and not gambling. $1500 max buyin and almost all had it

Enjoyable room though their chairs are getting tired.

Frankly, everyone seems too good this trip
  • Like 1

30k at 300/500. UTG opens to 1200. CO (23k) is a pro I recognize but can’t name him. He pauses a bit before just calling. BTN calls. I 3b BB to 5500 w JsJc. Only CO calls. 14,200 pot

9h7d2s. Nothing scary. Want to keep him in. Bet 5k. He pauses again then calls. 24,200 pot

Qc. Figure I can get another bet on the river, so I just check. He takes a bit then jams 12,500. I call. 49,200 pot.

He shows JTdd. I’ve got him good.

8x. Son of a bitch!

Work my stack back from 6k to 15k. Get back from break to 400/800/800. Folds to me in CO w 77. I jam and get called by AKo. Basically the inverse of my satellite final hand earlier, except he hits both of his cards and I’m out.

I’ll probably try this one again tomorrow in Flight B.

• Like 1

200/400/400 with 25k early in tourney

I open LJ w Q9hh to 1k. HJ SB BB call. 4400 pot

9c7c5s. Check to me, I go 3k. Only SB (50k) calls. 10,400 pot

6c. Chk chk

9d. He 4k. Can I find a fold here or auto call/cry?

He’s 40ish European. Nothing out of line so far

6c. Chk chk

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

6c. Chk chk

I think you have to snap call here.  4K to win 10,400 ... regardless you would still have 18 K

the only "play it this way" hands that arent a bluff that I can see him having that you beat is a spade suited 9 with the other card being J,T,4,3,2  all of which are possible as the small blind... but hes just as likely to have clubs, or a random 8

4k call to win 14k+  thats kind of close to 1/4  I honestly dont think you win one out of every 4 times in this spot. 

If I were in his seat, OOP, I don’t think I’d lead out this river with any of my non boat 9s.

I still made the call even though I couldn’t put him on anything I was beating, and I doubt he bluffs this board much either. He has 84dd.

I think his flop call is absurdly loose and if he’s calling things like that he has enough airballs that must bluff river after you check back the 4-straight, 3-flush turn. In addition to airballs he might be turning hands like 75, 76, 65 into a bluff since they are close to worthless now and need to you to fold hands like JJ etc.

Pre is also terrible for him. I was thinking he was BB which would be defensible.

No balance here, for sure. Figure I don’t know any of these guys, and they’re not getting any bet tells with such a small sample size.

Here, I’m fine taking this pot down or making a draw overpay.

• Like 1

After laughing at of dozens of people over the last few weeks for asking “why do I have 4/5 cards?” I was the one asking “why do we only have 2 cards?”

shuffle 512 Sunday night plo is no longer, they switched it to nlhe. Took down one nice pot with QQ on a AQx flop. Contemplated calling a Preflop raise with 9d8d, folded, K98 flop, AAvTT get it all in. Fuck. 

Get 4s2s, blinds 100-200, one guy raises to 400, 5 of us call. 
flop Qs5s4x. I bet 2000, call, raise to 6000, fold, all in for 9000, I go all in for 15k, fold fold. 
flip over the 42, other guy has Q6. guy who bet 6000 then folded flips his shit, he had KQ. Turn 3, river As, and now I’m chip leader of a game I haven’t played in a few years. 

• Like 1

I’ve played a shit ton of nlh tourneys this week, and would be fine not playing another for months. It is glacially slow and boring compared to NLH cash, which itself is exponentially more boring than Omaha.

4 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Crazy talk. Tourneys so much more fun for me than cash. I could play tourneys every single day.

Are they more fun?  Sure in that you are playing the lotto with much, much better odds.  

Sooner - do you have a ballpark figure of your tournament hourly rate?  I know you've won the OK tourny and have a solid number of results.  Even with a few big scores under your belt - I would be really interested to hear how you come out on an hourly basis if you have a clue?  

I just can't get past the frustration of playing a tournament for 8+ hours and then min cashing.  I guess I just haven't won enough big tournament scores to continue to want to play tourneys.

Are they more fun?  Sure in that you are playing the lotto with much, much better odds.  

Sooner - do you have a ballpark figure of your tournament hourly rate?  I know you've won the OK tourny and have a solid number of results.  Even with a few big scores under your belt - I would be really interested to hear how you come out on an hourly basis if you have a clue?  
I just can't get past the frustration of playing a tournament for 8+ hours and then min cashing.  I guess I just haven't won enough big tournament scores to continue to want to play tourneys.

I don’t have a clue at my hourly, no. And I certainly don’t claim that tourny > cash for everyone.

For me, I like the aspects of:
1) it’s a competition with sunk costs and set parameters.
2) I have a hard time ending a cash session bc there is almost always someone there who is trying to give away their chips
3) it just feels like every single cash session for me is fold 2 hours, see a flop and miss, fold 2 hours, get coolered/outdrawn, rebuy, repeat.
4) I feel much stronger at tourny fundamentals than cash
5) chance at winning many times the investment

I have no doubt that for lots of players, cash is more fun and/or more profitable than tourneys.

I play cash for a few reasons. Timing and length of play are important issues for me and I prefer the flexibility of when to sit down to play and get up and quit. Also, not a huge deal but tournaments require a little extra investment of practice and understanding of tournament strategy and I just decided not to go that route. I have played a few tournaments and did enjoy it. And I used to love watching the Vegas main event on espn. Wish it would return to that broadcast format.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 12:48 PM, Travo said:

Cameron Blazevich made a deep run in the WSOP Main Event, finished 32nd ($263k cash). He plays a ton of live cash in Austin, I'm sure some of y'all have played with him before.

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/wsop/2022-wsop/main-event/chips.515812.htm

spacer.png

He's a regular at the Lodge in RR.

Norway's Espen Jorstad won the World Series of Poker Main Event for $10 million in earnings at the Bally's Event Center in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Jorstad outlasted Adrian Attenborough and Michael Duek at the final table.

Attenborough called Jorstad in the heads-up, setting Jorstad up for a dramatic victory once he revealed his winning hand: a full house.

Attenborough took home $6 million for second place, while Duek won $4 million in earnings by finishing third.

Espen's victory is the fourth consecutive win by an international player, but the first by a Norwegian.

We can't even win cards anymore. 

Norway's Espen Jorstad won the World Series of Poker Main Event for $10 million in earnings at the Bally's Event Center in Las Vegas on Saturday.
Jorstad outlasted Adrian Attenborough and Michael Duek at the final table.
Attenborough called Jorstad in the heads-up, setting Jorstad up for a dramatic victory once he revealed his winning hand: a full house.
Attenborough took home $6 million for second place, while Duek won $4 million in earnings by finishing third.
Espen's victory is the fourth consecutive win by an international player, but the first by a Norwegian.
We can't even win cards anymore. 

The states prohibiting online poker is certainly playing a part. It would be interesting to see the percentage of international players in the main. I’d guess it’s near 30%, heavily weighted towards pros or solid recs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

$2/5 w $900

Open UTG1 w 7d6d to $25. LJ, BTN call. SB folds. Unknown 40ish black dude openly points and counts each player in hand before making it $95 from BB. My read is he is probably not a great player and he almost certainly has JJ+ and maybe AK (but unlikely). I’m pretty sure LJ will call if I do as he is super sticky. I can probably fold this, but decide to see a flop hopefully with odds. LJ calls, BTN folds. $315 pot

8d6s3d. BTN leads out $200, with $450 more behind. LJ has $400.

Fold, Call, Min Raise, Jam?

I'd jam relatively happily, we can't ever fold with SPR of 2, since literally no hand has us in awful shape (we have 31% vs 88, which is the worst hand we can see), but we also don't have massive showdown value currently, so might as well maximize our fold equity. BB prob not folding overpair, but it's not exactly 0%. If we ever get LJ to fold a bigger flush draw to clean up our outs against BB, that's pretty sweet also (doubt he's folding NFD, but might cryfold something like KQdd or KJdd, since getting it in vs nut flush draw is calamity.)  

I don't think any option is horrific other than fold.  Jam >> Call >>>>> Minraise >>>>........>>>>>>>...>> Fold

17 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Yeah I was kind of stuck on if I wanted LJ in the hand. I ended up jamming and he folded pretty quick. BB tank called w AA. I didn’t get there, but I was favored on the flop

It's pretty close. Obv the biggest advantage is him folding bigger flush draws. But if he's as sticky as you say, we are also cool with him folding hands like 97s or 54s. Also rather he folds something like 99 if BB actually folds whatever he has. Given that BB called, we would rather have the 99 in since we won't win unless we also improve past 99 (obv very rarely we could improve but 99 beats us on like a 6-9 or 9d-board pair runout). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...