2022 Poker: Ship it!

Lurch

WSOP got me pretty good and I then torched my bankroll trying to recover too aggressively. Ive had to slow down a bit to avoid hitting my household budget, but I’m on a nice run and should be back to a comfortable roll by the end of the year.

managed to get felted in a stupid weird hand. 1/2 game 300 max buy. 9 handed

Im the BB, sitting with $219 the highjack is a well known degen who has the bankroll to lose 10k and not even fucking care, hes been making it 50/100 per hand to go pre, losing most of the time.  he won the hand previous so hes sitting with a little more than $600. 

there is a double 5/10 straddle this hand.  FTA just limps the 10. 2nd limps, 3rd limps,  and now its degen's turn and he makes it $125 to run. dealer, SB both get out of the way

I look down and see 2 red Jacks, so yeah with only 219 here Im all in. 

first straddle folds, 2nd straddle folds The FTA limper now shoves for $700. he gets AUTO snapped by BOTH the remaining limpers.  they have something like 350 & 450.

finally the degen says hes got absolutely nothing but obviously all the high cards must be gone so he calls the big bet with 57o

so yeah, I am pretty much fucked here especially since 2 of the guys that have gone all in arent doing that with AK.....

it takes a while to get all the side pots worked out.  and I am up against:

FTA: AA

2nd limper: QQ

3rd limper: KK

they were all limping to trap the degen and he complied. 

and in a set of circumstances that also surprises no one, the flop is all clubs. AKQ.  so obviously the only one on the table with a club is the degen. 

amazingly, the 4th club doesnt come.  so AA takes the entire ~2300 pot. 

I realize there is nothing I could do there... but got damn.  not only do they all have me beat, they all flop a damn set. 

• 3 weeks later...

had a pretty ugly run the last 6 times playing or so, 1 positive session 5 neg, down around ~1600.

sit down today at the 1/2 game $300 with the same faces. I know its gonna be a short session.  I want to watch the game tonight without having to keep craning my neck to look around.

Im in late position, and play the 2nd hand I am dealt. 

2 limpers until the lady on my right who makes it $15, I look down at KJcc, and try to take the lead a bit  I make it $30 assuming that will kick some folks out...

editors note, it didnt,

end up with 5 total callers  SB, BB, UTG UTG2 and  the lady who raised to  $15 to my right.c

so here we go, $180 in the pot.

flop is about as good as I could possibly hope for. 

Qc-Th-7c

it checks around to me, I have $270 in front, and with that flop and that pot already where it is, I am seeing all 5 cards for sure. I shove. 

SB takes about 6 years before finally making the call (hes got about $150 total), BB folds, UTG insta-shoves for about $100 more and everyone else gets out of the way. 

SB has KQdd, UTG has 77 (grr).   we run it once and it comes club club giving me the whole pot to start the day, 

I get mostly garbage for the next hour, and have about $700 in front when the next big hand comes up.

3 of the guys to my left have been felted multiple times and the guys (other than me) who won, have left the table. so they are doing the crazy $25 open raises and stuff. 

this hand is a $5 straddle,   2 limpers before me, and I see QQ, and try to set the trap.   i think theres one more limper before the dealer (one of my targets) open shoves for $220. now to be fair, he NEVER had done that previously, $50, yeah, maybe even $60. but 220... no.

everyone mucks and obviously I call,

I show my hand and the guy sighs.... and sighs a fuckload more then its a Q6x flop, 6 turn.     so yeah... poker is pretty easy when you do nothing other than call that kind of hand.

left up $620 which helps cut into that massive deficit ive gotten myself into. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:04 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

had a pretty ugly run the last 6 times playing or so, 1 positive session 5 neg, down around ~1600.

sit down today at the 1/2 game $300 with the same faces. I know its gonna be a short session.  I want to watch the game tonight without having to keep craning my neck to look around.

Im in late position, and play the 2nd hand I am dealt. 

2 limpers until the lady on my right who makes it $15, I look down at KJcc, and try to take the lead a bit  I make it $30 assuming that will kick some folks out...

editors note, it didnt,

end up with 5 total callers  SB, BB, UTG UTG2 and  the lady who raised to  $15 to my right.c

so here we go, $180 in the pot.

flop is about as good as I could possibly hope for. 

Qc-Th-7c

it checks around to me, I have $270 in front, and with that flop and that pot already where it is, I am seeing all 5 cards for sure. I shove. 

SB takes about 6 years before finally making the call (hes got about $150 total), BB folds, UTG insta-shoves for about $100 more and everyone else gets out of the way. 

SB has KQdd, UTG has 77 (grr).   we run it once and it comes club club giving me the whole pot to start the day, 

I get mostly garbage for the next hour, and have about $700 in front when the next big hand comes up.

3 of the guys to my left have been felted multiple times and the guys (other than me) who won, have left the table. so they are doing the crazy $25 open raises and stuff. 

this hand is a $5 straddle,   2 limpers before me, and I see QQ, and try to set the trap.   i think theres one more limper before the dealer (one of my targets) open shoves for $220. now to be fair, he NEVER had done that previously, $50, yeah, maybe even $60. but 220... no.

everyone mucks and obviously I call,

I show my hand and the guy sighs.... and sighs a fuckload more then its a Q6x flop, 6 turn.     so yeah... poker is pretty easy when you do nothing other than call that kind of hand.

left up $620 which helps cut into that massive deficit ive gotten myself into. 

Curious as to where you have been playing..

will be very surprised if we dont hear of a deal here really quickly where Garrrett not only pays her back, but gives her something substancially extra.

that 4 page tweet he sent flat out accusing her of cheating and saying shes working with a crew and all that other shit has left him open to a large libel lawsuit...

she can easily argue that as a poker player, her being accused of outright cheating and theft by a consensus top 5 player in the world would heavily impact her ability to ever play in another game without a major blackmark in every game she ever wanted to play

plus the optics of how he and the Hustler Manager basically cornered her in the dark hall telling her she needed to strongly consider returning the pot to him could honestly be considerd for several arrestable offenses (not saying he would be convicted).

but from her point of view and reply, the 2 of them effectively used "extoring" tactics to make her feel uncomfortable and verbally told her the optics of the hand were so bad that she would be accused of cheating. 

• 2 weeks later...

maybe on a bit of a run good heater.   played 4 times before Christmas.    had  +660, +510, +300, -550 .  and then played today +575

several key hands but a nice run good was me having AQo  in the CO when UTG makes it 15, 2 callers  and I decide to try and isolate and make it $70. 

folds to UTG who has $121 total and snap shoves.  UTG2 takes a min and shoves as well but only for $127 total.  other player folds.

its only $57 to call a pot with almost $340 in it.  I realize I am probably dominated, but getting  almost 6:1  so I toss in the chip and expect to lose. .

no idea what the cards ended up being all I saw was 4 diamonds and I had the Qd.    UTG shows 2 non-diamond aces, and other dude mucks.    run good activated. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

i had a hand tonight that is still pissing me off almost 4 hours after it happened and more than 2 hours after I left the session.

Now before I give the hand description here, let me be real clear that I fully understand the mistake I made and how the rule was applied.

but I want to see if anyone else thinks I should have protested more than I did- which wasnt much because the dealer went into turbo deal mode as I was realizing the consequences of the action I had just made.

so here is the setup.  I am in  seat 3 as the SB with A9ss.  sitting with almost $650.

middle position makes it $15.  and villain smooth calls from dealer right, seat 9.    

I have never seen nor played with the Villain, his playing attitude and action is being an OMC, short, very stocky man with absolutely massive hands, and a very baggy sweatshirt and constantly is sitting with his gorilla arms crossed in front of himself at all times, with or without a hand, with his chips behind touching the rail. 

plus being next to the dealer also blocks the view . you cant see how many chips he has without constantly asking him to lift his arms.   I felted him earlier and he rebought for $100 and has been in several hands since up and down. and its looking like hes down at the time of this hand (but I did miss a few hands going to the bathroom, that he might have won without me noticing). 

button calls  I call, everyone else is out.    4 to the flop

flop is 9d 8d 3x.

I bet $15, get 2 callers.  MP and villain.  button folds. 

turn is Ad

top 2 is good here a lot, and I want to charge for any diamond draws. 

So I bet out $40.  MP folds.  and the following action takes place. 

villain announces hes all in, while at the same time, reaching back and grabbing a stack of red from behind his hands that from my vantage point looks to be either $50 or 55.

Now I fully realize the mistake I made here was not asking how much that was. 

but there is no one else to act and hes put the 50 ish out there with authority.    obviously I am not folding top 2 here for $10/15 more and i flip in a chip.

while that happens, the dealer announces all-in and a call.  and basically starts to deal the river.

as he does this villain then reaches back and grabs 7  green chips that were completely obscured on the rail behind his arms and moves them into the middle. and then goes back and gets another $17 in white. 

I instantly start to say "hang on a second" but barely even get the "hang" out of my mouth before the river card is dealt and I am told I now need to pay out $242 because he had Q4dd. 

now I know the damn rule, my chip constituted a call.... but this wasnt a case of me misreading his chipstack, he hid the large chips behind the reds on the rail and didnt bring them out until after I had already called.

I've never run into this kind of situation where a person announces all in, and puts less than ¼ of their chips out on the table (in an action that legitimately looked like that was his entire chipstack) without also having their next action be reaching back and getting the rest of their chips.  obviously I have seen the single chip bet move as well, this wasnt that.  this really seemed like an angle shoot.

I tried to protest but was pretty much shot down by saying I had called the all in....   

The managers were all  busy at the time, and in the back of my mind I knew I had fucked up by assuming the bet size.

does anyone else think I should have made a larger stink of it and at least had a valid argument that the most vital chips were not visible to ANYONE else on the table. or just call me a dumbass and learn my lesson?

I realize I will chalk it up as an expensive lesson, but ive never in my life seen a person who looks like they are almost out of chips announce being all in and only put out the red chips without then going back in a very reasonably quick next-move to grab the rest of their chips and put them out on the table. 

I still managed to claw out a +$125 day, but obviously I would have  just rather paid the $10 penalty for calling what I thought was a $50 bet and mucked rather than call off another $190 on top of that when it looked mightly likely that the OMC had top 2 beat. 

to be clear, if that shove is announced as $242, with that dude making that move, I am folding to him without much of a thought. This wasnt a case of me being pissed I got coolered, I know damn well its rare as fuck for an OMC to make that move headups for that much more without a set at a minimum, if not nut or 2nd nut. 
Edited by AUS-97HORN

I had something similar a while back. big O, I'm in 8 seat next to the dealer, villain in 3 seat at far end of the table.

Big O, I raised preflop to $25, everyone called, $200 pot.

Flop 544, I had A2345 bet out $100, he pots. puts out $100 in green in the middle.  I ask how much more, he says "not much, just this" waves a stack of 10-15 reds in his hand around and puts it in the middle. I call and he reaches back and pulls the stack of green that was behind the hand he was waving around. He has 55 and two big cards come and I'm out $500.

The guy is a total angle shooter asshole, I know he did it on purpose.  

Definitely going to be too late once the river is dealt bc obv if it’s an A or 9 you aren’t gonna say “oh hey I actually didn’t know about the extra $175 so he can keep that”. So you’d be freerolling. But definitely the big chips need to be up front/visible. If they were hidden behind stacks of red or actually sitting on the rail, I would def argue it. If it’s just his “gorilla arms and monster hands” it’s not going anywhere.

At the end of the day, your question was if you should have argued more to dealer/floor about it…. nope. Remind dealer to help players by monitoring stacks, but other than that it’s going to be on you, regardless.

We always talk/joke about snap call, snap fold, etc, but the reality is there isn’t a shot clock and we’re often making multi-hundred dollar decisions that are worth taking a moment on, even when seemingly obvious. A solid player needs to go through ALL of the motions of making good decisions, and being definitive about stack size is clearly among those.

• Like 3