2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Post-mortem:

I hope people in ATX and immediate realize how freaking lucky we've been.  The severe prediction map was spot on!  The storms started blowing up just west of Austin, giving most of us light rotation and brief, spotty pinpoints of smaller but damaging hail.  But all in all we got off pretty damn well.  Once this line moved just into and through Austin, it really blew up.  And that's exactly where the "moderate risk" area was mapped.  The Round Rock tornado was the first instant of these storms super-charging into monsters.  And now they're all blowing up east of us.

If this event was just 10 miles west, these storms would have wreaked a lot more havoc over heavily-populated Travis/Austin.  The worst it did was to glance Round Rock before moving into much smaller populations.  We were very fortunate, period.

That said, I can't remember a heavier outbreak for our area, some 17-18 tornado warnings forecast within a 75 mile radius of Austin.  And those weren't even the worst. 

T and P for our eastern and NE neighbors.  Going to be a long evening.

I must say, the forecasters fucking nailed this forecast as well as I've ever seen.  I mean amazingly.  Good work.

And I know that we all really appreciate your knowledge and updates during times like these.  

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Sun’s out at UT.

Yeah, and they finally turned off their PA system that was blaring out the tornado warnings/sirens.   Was kind of freaking my kids out because even after things had cleared up, we could still hear it going.

But I guess I should be thankful that we can hear UT's PA system/sirens, since Austin doesn't have one.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

That said, I can't remember a heavier outbreak for our area, some 17-18 tornado warnings forecast within a 75 mile radius of Austin.  And those weren't even the worst. 

I can't remember more than 3 or 4 warnings for the Austin area, and I've lived here since 1985.  The Jarrell storm that came south, another one that hit west Austin, one in Cedar Park, that's about all I can recall in 37 years.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, and they finally turned off their PA system that was blaring out the tornado warnings/sirens.   Was kind of freaking my kids out because even after things had cleared up, we could still hear it going.

But I guess I should be thankful that we can hear UT's PA system/sirens, since Austin doesn't have one.

Don’t know how localized they are, but the ones in my neighborhood never went off. 

4 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Javelin tornadoes.

High-speed Anti Radiation Tornados, imo.  HART.

I'm watching the heir of Taft and Finfrock on NBC5.  There was a circulation over DFW airport, but not an actual tornado.  That circulation provoked the tornado warning in Dallas (now expired) and Collin Counties.

Post-mortem:

I hope people in ATX and immediate realize how freaking lucky we've been.  The severe prediction map was spot on!  The storms started blowing up just west of Austin, giving most of us light rotation and brief, spotty pinpoints of smaller but damaging hail.  But all in all we got off pretty damn well.  Once this line moved just into and through Austin, it really blew up.  And that's exactly where the "moderate risk" area was mapped.  The Round Rock tornado was the first instant of these storms super-charging into monsters.  And now they're all blowing up east of us.

If this event was just 10 miles west, these storms would have wreaked a lot more havoc over heavily-populated Travis/Austin.  The worst it did was to glance Round Rock before moving into much smaller populations.  We were very fortunate, period.

T and P for our eastern and NE neighbors.  Going to be a long evening.

I must say, the forecasters fucking nailed this forecast as well as I've ever seen.  I mean amazingly.  Good work.

It is amazing how well it was forecasted