2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

20 minutes ago, fuggled said:

My wife reports the dog has bad breath. My son wants to try on all the clothes in his closet. Stay tuned for more updates.

For future storms, Evan Andrews (Fox 4 morning guy) does Facebook live during big events without drama.  He's been going for almost 4 hours straight and just ended (as I think he gets up for the morning show at like 3AM).  He was in direct path of that as well and was not concerned.  Basically said take shelter if you want but the spin from that storm isn't going to be severe (i.e., it probably would have calmed your anxiety with alarms going in the background).

For future storms, Evan Andrews (Fox 4 morning guy) does Facebook live during big events without drama.  He's been going for almost 4 hours straight and just ended (as I think he gets up for the morning show at like 3AM).  He was in direct path of that as well and was not concerned.  Basically said take shelter if you want but the spin from that storm isn't going to be severe (i.e., it probably would have calmed your anxiety with alarms going in the background).
Thanks for the suggestion, but the wife likes to monitor St Pete and gauge storm severity based on when he takes off his clothes (jacket, tie, etc.). So our system is pretty airtight.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Modessit said:

Just talked to a driver who came in from Red Bud/Gattis School area in RR. Said trees down, roofs torn off, etc.

Should be a lot of coverage on 10 news.  Not surprising, that probably was a high F2 at least, likely F3, to mess up roofs.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Welp, neither central Tarrant nor Dallas Counties even got a Severe Thunderstorm warning.

I think it's mostly past Tarrant now and Dallas is in the barrel for some hard rain.

Basically a perfect (and lucky) outcome.  I'll take it!

• Hook 'Em 1

the home of one of my husband's staff was 'hit', I'm not sure where she lives but it's closer in, like near 45/1325 area i think, so she might have been where it spun up.

roof damaged, trees and fence down, outside a/c apparently blown off/away.

47 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Post-mortem:

I hope people in ATX and immediate realize how freaking lucky we've been.  The severe prediction map was spot on!  The storms started blowing up just west of Austin, giving most of us light rotation and brief, spotty pinpoints of smaller but damaging hail.  But all in all we got off pretty damn well.  Once this line moved just into and through Austin, it really blew up.  And that's exactly where the "moderate risk" area was mapped.  The Round Rock tornado was the first instant of these storms super-charging into monsters.  And now they're all blowing up east of us.

If this event was just 10 miles west, these storms would have wreaked a lot more havoc over heavily-populated Travis/Austin.  The worst it did was to glance Round Rock before moving into much smaller populations.  We were very fortunate, period.

That said, I can't remember a heavier outbreak for our area, some 17-18 tornado warnings forecast within a 75 mile radius of Austin.  And those weren't even the worst. 

T and P for our eastern and NE neighbors.  Going to be a long evening.

I must say, the forecasters fucking nailed this forecast as well as I've ever seen.  I mean amazingly.  Good work.

Yeah, feels like 4 days out they had afternoon to early evening shit hitting the fan on Monday.

Thanks for keeping an eye on all this. 

Crazy day. I'm guessing NE Texas isn't going to look the same at this time tomorrow.