2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

The force field  always breaks down the night before trash day so that everyone’s garbage can blow out and down the street along with their garbage can things…so cool. Trash day eve always trumps force field. Undefeated!

and like clockwork with sideways rain some jack wagon is out jogging. Legit. 

but my trash day is on Friday...

• Haha 1

heavy rain in 78757 with a few pings of tiny bits of hail occasionally heard. 
Your shingles should be bouncing those like it's raindrops.

Sidebar:  Apparently Tamko has gotten out of the hail resistant shingle business.
Insurer:  Well, if you say they are "hail resistant" then it is up to YOU to make a consumer whole in the event of damage, not us.
Tamko:  Guess what?  We quit that particular classification of shingle products.
https://drginsurancenetwork.com/spaces/16/public-support-drg-insurance-network/blogs/insurance/926/tamko-stops-making-ir-shingles-because-of-insurance-companies-assertions

I remember that.  Crazy stories from that one.  A family in a trailer took shelter in a brick house across the street.  The brick house was obliterated, while the trailer was barely touched.  The craziest though was that the tornado sucked the asphalt off of streets, leaving just flexible base.  Unreal.

• Like 1

I remember that.  Crazy stories from that one.  A family in a trailer took shelter in a brick house across the street.  The brick house was obliterated, while the trailer was barely touched.  The craziest though was that the tornado sucked the asphalt off of streets, leaving just flexible base.  Unreal.

Yeah, that last fact was just flabbergasting. It peeled up the fucking pavement.
That’s otherworldly shit.
  • Like 1

The 2013 El Reno, Ok had the highest wind speeds ever measured in a tornado at 302 MPH.

Jarrell may have been higher but there were no measurements recorded higher. I’ve seen estimated that it was over 300 MPH.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

The 2013 El Reno, Ok had the highest wind speeds ever measured in a tornado at 302 MPH.

Jarrell may have been higher but there were no measurements recorded higher. I’ve seen estimated that it was over 300 MPH.

Yeah it seems like an inexact science. I wasn't able to find many great sources for strongest tornadoes ever. Seems like it was up there with the nastiest ever recorded. 

What made it particular destructive is that it was very slow moving so the highest wind speeds were over one area for quite a long time relatively speaking. Most tornados have a decent forward speed, but that one didn’t. It also cam from the NE and moved SW which is very rare (as mentioned by NL upthread).

7 hours ago, Hate said:

What made it particular destructive is that it was very slow moving so the highest wind speeds were over one area for quite a long time relatively speaking. Most tornados have a decent forward speed, but that one didn’t. It also cam from the NE and moved SW which is very rare (as mentioned by NL upthread).

Yep. The tornado in Jarrell sat over that subdivision for a few minutes. F5 tornado speeds in one spot for that long is just.....unreal. Probably a once in a lifetime type of tornado.

This is probably some of the best tornado footage....ever. You can see from the start, even as a little rope, just how violent it was going to be. Like a big drill bit into the earth.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, had forgotten. Just sat. And churned. And obliterated everything until, literally, there was nothing left to obliterate. Including the asphalt on the streets. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. The tornado in Jarrell sat over that subdivision for a few minutes. F5 tornado speeds in one spot for that long is just.....unreal. Probably a once in a lifetime type of tornado.

This is probably some of the best tornado footage....ever. You can see from the start, even as a little rope, just how violent it was going to be. Like a big drill bit into the earth.

Oh man, thanks for posting. I've never seen that extended footage. Incredible. 

Was that from KVUE?

Lots of unusual about that tornado.  Not only the slow speed, but the tornado itself followed a rare path - moving NE→SW, the opposite of most storms.  A rare condition as well is that the tornado popped up right inside the frontal lift boundary, so it curved along the frontal line itself.  Again, pretty rare.

That system simply rode the frontal boundary down into N. Williamson, re-emerged briefly as an F-4 in Cedar Park (enough to take out half an HEB and a small part of a subdivision), lifted again, and re-emerged in West Lakeway, heading SW in the Bee Creek area, where it again dropped - as an F-4 down by RO Drive.  It crossed 71 about 3/4 mlie east of the Pedernales Bridge, entered yet another subdivision, was ready to buzzsaw that to nothingness - and then just simply dissolved and lifted, this time for good.

I went out to clean up in that subdivision the next day.  I drove out 71 and for about 250 yards the road itself was pulled up.  There was a swatch of dirt left where the pavement was.  When I got inside the subdivision, which had a lot of trees, I came upon devastation for only a small length- and then you could actually see the curve of the tornado's shape as is suddenly lifted.  What was left was a clear arc - the curve of the funnel, where on one side nothing was disturbed, and "inside" it, everything was nothing but wreckage.  I'll never forget that curved line, though.

Too much else to talk about, but that storm was heading straight for me - if it hadn't followed the curve of the front - in other words if the frontal boundary had been straighter - I probably would have not had a house.  As it was, it curved more W and went 5 miles west of me.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Oh man, thanks for posting. I've never seen that extended footage. Incredible. 

Was that from KVUE?

I believe that's KWTX out of Waco.  The beginning parts of the footage are from the area where Robinson, Hewitt, and Lorena meet   

• Hook 'Em 1

I was always struck by the seemingly benign, very thin, rope-like formation and it somehow morphing into a 3/4-mile wide monster. I'm not overly familiar with the science of a tornado's formation but that seemed odd. 

Big piece on the storm from KXAN: https://www.kxan.com/weather/jarrell-tornado-survivors-remember-the-last-f5-to-hit-central-texas-25-years-later/

I was always struck by the seemingly benign, very thin, rope-like formation and it somehow morphing into a 3/4-mile wide monster. I'm not overly familiar with the science of a tornado's formation but that seemed odd. 
Big piece on the storm from KXAN: https://www.kxan.com/weather/jarrell-tornado-survivors-remember-the-last-f5-to-hit-central-texas-25-years-later/
Read the articles I posted above and it will begin to make sense.  An extremely rare event where 3 or 4 (including a gravity wave) things had to happen at the exact moment and location that they did to lead to this unique phenomenon.  We may not see another event like that one in our lifetimes.  There will be other EF-5 tornadoes that devastate lives and property, but ones like what hit Jarrell are possibly a once in a lifetime occurrence. Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1