2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We got a nice 20 minute downpour on my end of Hewitt and looking like we’ll get another lil dip here in a minute.  My garden is like..

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886mc58ytyt1popw3sskw

We ended up with a half-inch.  I can't believe it but my yard and garden are thankful 

• Like 1

Wow. After teasing all afternoon with a light and sound show, then sprinkling on and off for a bit, we just got drenched in Barton Creek. Maybe the biggest downpour I’ve seen here in 18 months. Gutters were overflowing/failing, and there ain’t shit in em other than water

More rain than expected... how often has that ever happened?

These frontal boundary things like last night are always unpredictable, usually way less.  But I think that lil' storm in the western Gulf was helping and interacting wiht the front, ramping it up a bit.  Then what happened is that it's been so hot and dry that a sort of unusual thing occurred - the outflow boundaries (cool air pushed down and out towards the north) from the storms to the south of us actually caused lift when interacting with the hotter, drier air and allowed storms to form towards the north, where they weren't forecast as much.  Perfect cocktail for enhanced rain.  Took its time but actually the highest chance of rain in last night's forecast was between 8-10 p.m. so it was pretty spot on - the only thing off was the amount.  More widespread and higher totals than forecast.

Today should dry out a bit, most storms should be W/SW of us but could drift up.  Then we have a break Wed before this Gulf thingy does what it's gonna do... no doubt it'll pack tons of rain.  The only question is how far inland will it get.  Absolutely some parts well into Central Texas and even west will get rain, but where the concentration occurs is up for grabs.  These things can spread rain out but usually have a core - a concentrated swath of rain - and right now it's forecast to be east of ATX.  But we'll see.  

Temps will be helped a good bit to moderate since the heat has been washed out of the ground.  Should be a nice 2 days at least temp wise before the disturbance does what it does.

Back if warranted (i.e. significant rain coming to ATX).  Meanwhile, Houston and Corpus and points on the coast, flooding could happen late week. Watch it.

• Like 2

Houston missed out on that hot and heavy action y'all got in CenTex yesterday. Lots of clouds and thunder, but most areas just saw fleeting showers. At least the temps have come down a bit. Not terribly unpleasant walking dogs this morning.

We're allegedly set to get some solid downpours later this week, but we'll see (image below is expected rainfall totals through midnight Friday).

wpc-tx-total_precip_inch-6741600.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Houston missed out on that hot and heavy action y'all got in CenTex yesterday. Lots of clouds and thunder, but most areas just saw fleeting showers. At least the temps have come down a bit. Not terribly unpleasant walking dogs this morning.

We're allegedly set to get some solid downpours later this week, but we'll see (image below is expected rainfall totals through midnight Friday).

wpc-tx-total_precip_inch-6741600.png

Yeah the lightning around 930-10 pm in the Seabrook area was impressive. Started raining really heavy but then just died out after about 5-10 minutes of rain. 

6 hours ago, Orange&White said:

.55" at 360@Bull Creek. Lightening show went on for a couple of hours but the rain all fell within the first hour or so.

I got over an inch and we are blocks away. It was about half an inch after the first round of rain around dinnertime, but this morning the gauge was over an inch. 

7 minutes ago, hornian said:

I got over an inch and we are blocks away. It was about half an inch after the first round of rain around dinnertime, but this morning the gauge was over an inch. 

I actually live 1000' feet from the LCRA hydromet gauge. I am pretty sure I got at least an inch but that is really the only gauge I have to go by.

edit: Just checked a Wunderground weather station closer to the house and it showed .77"

Edited by Orange&White