2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

Just drove back from Lumberton to Houston on Hwy 90 about an hour ago. Rained buckets from Sour Lake all the way until about 2 miles NE of 610 and of course it was bone dry in the city. Was quite pissed off, thinking I'd gotten skunked again, but just got a pretty decent little 10 minute downpour here in GOOF, at least enough to soak the lawn and flower beds and save me from needing to water this evening.

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Just drove back from Lumberton to Houston on Hwy 90 about an hour ago. Rained buckets from Sour Lake all the way until about 2 miles NE of 610 and of course it was bone dry in the city. Was quite pissed off, thinking I'd gotten skunked again, but just got a pretty decent little 10 minute downpour here in GOOF, at least enough to soak the lawn and flower beds and save me from needing to water this evening.

The gulf moisture random rain machine is crazy. We got about 0.15” here in a few minutes and gone (la Porte ish). The wedge surrounded by 45-225-bw8 got 2”!  

On 7/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Another day of the models showing us near normal or on the edge of wetter than average. Looks promising that there will at least be the chance of some sort of rain in the next couple of weeks, but it ain't going to be next week:

image.png.26873c52f04c83c0c63ea087810aa94d.png

Texas is the prolapsed asshole of precipitation.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Got home from running errands about an hour ago and found about 0.03 inch of rain in my gauge.  Not even enough to cool things off, and everything is already dry as a bone, but every 0.01 inch is something.

that wasn't rain....

post-14005-13252434909047.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

KXAN has a story on their website that shows how we went from essentially no drought in Texas by late fall 2021 to the current situation:

95% of TX moderate drought or worse

84% of TX severe drought or worse

57% of TX extreme drought or worse

20% exceptional drought

That's an amazing swing in a short period of time.

Seriously, look at this map and tell me it doesn't feel like some supervillian is using a drought machine to hold Texas hostage.
072522-wpc_qpf_168h_p.us_sc.png

And the edges of the state that are predicted to get rain are basically coterminous with ERCOT boundaries lmao

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/jacobs-well-ceases-flowing-for-the-fourth-time-in-recorded-history/amp/

Jacobs Well 

The well, which is spring-fed, has officially ceased flowing, according to a post from Jacob’s Well Natural Area’s Facebook page. The U.S. Geologic Survey measured a zero cubic foot per second (cfs) discharge in recent days.

Isolated showers for some, heat for all

This is only the fourth time in recorded history that the well has ceased flowing.

18 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

2 straight days with some relatively substantial late-afternoon showers rolling through the middle of Houston for about 20-30 minutes. Is that legal?

And yet not a drop yesterday at my house a whopping 4 miles from my office. At least Tuesday I caught some of the outer fringes of the storm. 

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Heaviest rainfall in weeks the past 15 minutes in 77018. Some minor street flooding and had water pouring over the sides of my gutters. Already moved on.

It’s noisy, neighbor