2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Both my front and back doors are now warping and contacting the frame, which I'm assuming is due to foundation settling because we haven't had any GOT DAMN rain in two months.

If they are steel doors they could just be warped (thermal bow). Our front door gets direct late afternoon sun and warped in the last couple years since it’s been so fucking hot.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If they are steel doors they could just be warped (thermal bow). Our front door gets direct late afternoon sun and warped in the last couple years since it’s been so fucking hot.

That's what I'm hoping because they are metal.  Got a soaker hose for the foundation that's coming tomorrow, just in case.  Also, gray clouds all around now, but still no rain in 78751.

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's what I'm hoping because they are metal.  Got a soaker hose for the foundation that's coming tomorrow, just in case.  Also, gray clouds all around now, but still no rain in 78751.

I'm thinking I might replace the soaker hoses I put out this year and use regular drip irrigation instead.  My yard is sloped and all faucets are downhill so at the top I am not getting much water and at the bottom it is soaked.  ymmv

I'm thinking I might replace the soaker hoses I put out this year and use regular drip irrigation instead.  My yard is sloped and all faucets are downhill so at the top I am not getting much water and at the bottom it is soaked.  ymmv
What about running a normal hose from faucet to elevated area and connecting your soaker hose there?
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:
2 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

What about running a normal hose from faucet to elevated area and connecting your soaker hose there?

Well sure, if you want to use common sense (sulks to the backyard to fix this)

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:
2 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

But then you wouldn't have that one green streak of grass running up to the house. 

Reminds me of trying to convince my wife to move to Portland -- "too much rain" -- 43 inches per year, Austin is 35 inches, Houston is 53 -- "wut?".
Facts don't matter.

I fell for that bullshit. We were living in the Bay Area, I went to interview for a gig in Portland.. my wife said “find out about the fucking rain!”

In my interview with the CEO, a Portland native, I asked about the rain. “That’s a myth we perpetuate to keep the fucking Californians away. We have rainforests that get like 340 inches a year, but here it rains less than it does in Dallas. You can look it up!”

Called wife. “What about the fucking rain?” No worries! It rains leads here than it does in Dallas. I looked it up!

Moving van drove away and it began to rain. For 47 straight days. We were there three years. It does rain less than it does in Dallas but it rains real fucking slow. 10 fucking months of 44 and rain. The cloud ceiling is at 19 feet. The place nearly killed my marriage. 80% of women have seasonal affective disorder, so the crazy factor is off the charts. Had to get her a light box to sit in front of. You want to live in the PNW go somewhere else. Seattle gets double the rain but twice the sun. Or go to the Cascade high desert which gets sun like San Diego. A move to Portland will quadruple the odds of your wife giving you a chainsaw vasectomy.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I fell for that bullshit. We were living in the Bay Area, I went to interview for a gig in Portland.. my wife said “find out about the fucking rain!”

In my interview with the CEO, a Portland native, I asked about the rain. “That’s a myth we perpetuate to keep the fucking Californians away. We have rainforests that get like 340 inches a year, but here it rains less than it does in Dallas. You can look it up!”

Called wife. “What about the fucking rain?” No worries! It rains leads here than it does in Dallas. I looked it up!

Moving van drove away and it began to rain. For 47 straight days. We were there three years. It does rain less than it does in Dallas but it rains real fucking slow. 10 fucking months of 44 and rain. The cloud ceiling is at 19 feet. The place nearly killed my marriage. 80% of women have seasonal affective disorder, so the crazy factor is off the charts. Had to get her a light box to sit in front of. You want to live in the PNW go somewhere else. Seattle gets double the rain but twice the sun. Or go to the Cascade high desert which gets sun like San Diego. A move to Portland will quadruple the odds of your wife giving you a chainsaw vasectomy.

man's gotta make a living

Played at Kissing Tree in San Marcos yesterday. At about 1:10 PM, there was massive crack of lightening while I was on the chipping green and a few minutes later, it started pouring. Rained pretty hard for about 15-20 minutes and soaked the course. Standing water on the tee-boxes when we finally got out to play. The cell looked pretty localized on the radar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Models are showing the high-pressure dome that has been parked over Texas all summer finally clearing out.

Good news: This should generally increase rain chances and put an end to triple digit temps.

Bad news: Forcefield that has put the kibosh on tropical disturbances all summer will no longer be active, just in time for hurricane season to kick off.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Models are showing the high-pressure dome that has been parked over Texas all summer finally clearing out.

Good news: This should generally increase rain chances and put an end to triple digit temps.

Bad news: Forcefield that has put the kibosh on tropical disturbances all summer will no longer be active, just in time for hurricane season to kick off.

stoned sc GIF

• Haha 1