2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

David Yoeman’s just said 4 to 6 inches over the next 7 days. 

Can I say that I'm slowly turning into an Avery Tomasco fan?

Yoeman's ain't bad, but maybe just because he is my normal weather guy I've seen too many things get talked up over the past year and then turn out to be nothing burgers.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yoeman's ain't bad, but maybe just because he is my normal weather guy I've seen too many things get talked up over the past year and then turn out to be nothing burgers.

Slowly? Get with the program. He was fucking on point during the lead up to the winter storm/during it last year. Been a fan ever since. I’ll even forgive his aggyness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Tomasco is great because he doesn't hype things up, he uses memes and makes fun of himself.  He's spot on.  Honestly, Austin's TV weather teams > Houston's TV weather teams although Austin needs a Matt Lanza/Erig Berger.

• Like 1

I took a spin  on the Walnut Creek hike and bike trail yesterday after the rain stopped 

There is nothing like the smell of dead and burnt grass that has had a fresh soaking. The whole ride smelled like I was under a bridge 

I guess it's the little things.

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well I got a whopping 0.01" of rain today, so I'm pretty thrilled at the thought of septupling that to ring in a massive 0.07" for the whole week!

I'll tell you something, this is no longer a drought.  It's a quest.  A quest for rain!  I'm gonna get rain and you're gonna get rain. We're all gonna get so much fucking rain we're gonna need plastic surgery to remove our goddamn smiles.  We're gonna be whistling Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah out of our assholes.   Hallelujah!  Holy Shit!  Where's the Tylenol?

Very good, lol.  Probably the best part of the movie.

Anyway, whatever youse guy'ses little pitiful compounds may or may not have gotten last night, yeah, this isn't the same old shit.  We have so many weather things coming together over the next 3-6 days that it's not unpossible we could get into drought-busting categories.  I honestly haven't checked the weather a lot the past day, and not much yet today, but I will later.  But yesterday models were lining up with much lower temps, a (relatively) lot of rain, and even some mild tropical stuff this weekend.

It's a fool's game to predict when/where/how much rain will fall on your little heads specifically, but understand that the big high which always controls our summer weather, and which this year was particularly nasty, came in real early, and didn't break up, has moved in a season fashion away from Texas - it's bigly moved.  It's a yuuuge deal.  So don't be surprised if the next 5-7 days are very different.

No, it's not gonna rain all day every day.  Some days it might not rain much at all and git hot.  But the point is that this thing as we've known it is blowed up, sir.

Yeah, it could creep back in next month.  But if the ground gets wet enough now, no way we'll see 10 straight days of 105+ or whatnot.  Remind me to tell you about the earth's orbit and northern hemisphere and all that (semi-inside joke).

I'll be back if sumpin' is worth pinpointing (esp. the little tropical thing, which has a good chance of shitdumping rain on is, but not quite yet...).  Otherwise, 
- Temps mostly in low-mid 90's (could me MUCH lower if it turns into a rainy day - like this one's starting out)
- Anywhere from 1-5 inches over next week for most of us, certainly more for some, and yeah, less for others (pinpointing rain is not anywhere near accurate even these days).

Bye, until whenever.

Edit:  just to keep the record straight, when I talk here I'm talking about oh say ATX and 50 miles radius around it.  Other places I can look at if U want.  (Never mind that the SE coast and the Valley have been clobbered a good bit the past week or so - their drought is basically gone).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

$110 last month for about 3,000 sq.ft. of grass. Watering thoroughly once a week.
Ordinarily I wouldn’t be watering it so much, but it is really an F-you to my HOA that forced me to remove half the graveled xeriscaping that had been in my front yard for 7 years without a problem until some neighborhood noob filed a complaint against me.  (He wanted to do the same but was turned down by the HOA nazis, so they screwed me over to the tune of a $3,500 “relandscaping” bill).

Well that’s shitty. It’s pretty hard for HOAs to enforce non-xeriscaping rules in bylaws anymore. The leg passed a law about it a few years ago. Think they can place SOME restrictions, but they can’t have a zero tolerance policy for it. I’d talk to the management company about their policy. You should be able to get rid of some of the grass if you’re so inclined.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

How the hell do you prep a yard for heavy rain?  Do you go out and give the grass a motivational speech or something?

I have some drainage issues and a deck that I've spent wayyyyyy too much time/money working on.

So I attach an extension to one gutter downspout to carry it away from the house. Cover some of the seams on the deck with a tarp so they don't get soaked and never dry out. Put down some blankets on the flagstone to make a dam to carry the water into the rocks around the side of the yard instead of dumping straight into the grass.

It's all completely optional but it helps from creating flooded spots in the yard in heavy downpours that are hard on the grass.

4 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I took a spin  on the Walnut Creek hike and bike trail yesterday after the rain stopped 

There is nothing like the smell of dead and burnt grass that has had a fresh soaking. The whole ride smelled like I was under a bridge 

I guess it's the little things.

so you were homeless at one time?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have some drainage issues and a deck that I've spent wayyyyyy too much time/money working on.

So I attach an extension to one gutter downspout to carry it away from the house. Cover some of the seams on the deck with a tarp so they don't get soaked and never dry out. Put down some blankets on the flagstone to make a dam to carry the water into the rocks around the side of the yard instead of dumping straight into the grass.

It's all completely optional but it helps from creating flooded spots in the yard in heavy downpours that are hard on the grass.

Good God, that's a lot of work for some rain.  I would move.

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sounds like an episode of Bluey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, HouTex said:

Not meant to be.  This rain really screwed up my weekend golf plans.  We need a water pipeline to get water to the Texas Hill Country from SE Texas.

My wife commented to me that we moved from "it will never stop raining again" to "it will never rain again"

Feast or famine

4 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Can you be rude and nice at the same time?  Can confirm that she's very rude.  I sat next to her at a charity event a few years ago.  Kidding aside, she was super cool and seemed very down to earth. 

Well, yeah.  Everyone's gonna be cool to Judge Smails' relatives.  He has sentenced young men to death because he felt he owed it to them.  You don't mess around with that kind of power.

• Hook 'Em 1