2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

20 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

I'm right at 2 inches (TWSS) of rain in the month of August just east of Pflugerville.  It has added zero to my tank, I think my fish are going to have to grow lungs or die.  It's so frustrating because you watch the radar and it's like watching a rerun of 2008 Tech, you keep hoping the ball gets caught and, yet, are always disappointed

Too soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

I'm right at 2 inches (TWSS) of rain in the month of August just east of Pflugerville.  It has added zero to my tank, I think my fish are going to have to grow lungs or die.  It's so frustrating because you watch the radar and it's like watching a rerun of 2008 Tech, you keep hoping the ball gets caught and, yet, are always disappointed

Right there with you.  About a block north of Lake Pflugerville and I swear there is a vortex over here that just dissipates any storms or rain.  Frustrating.  Last Friday was the only really good rain.  I’m hoping we are out of this cycle and the wet weather will continue.  

We seem to have gotten about 3" since Thursday in SW Austin.  This morning was a bit of a drizzle.  Hope we can keep getting some quick top offs.  I can tell some of the brown areas are greening up.  Lots of rain lilies.  BUT, rain lilies don't provide drinking water.  We need more rain in the watersheds.

3 hours ago, Catpfish said:

I almost negged you for the ‘08 Tech reference. 

• Rage+1 2

I know I could track this down... but it seems like there could be another big reservoir on the Trinity besides Lake Livingston. Bottle all that Dallas flood water and see about doing something useful with it. (I know it Graves is rolling in his grave, but that's a lot of water that isn't very productive.  And Yes I know the Trinity is not the Brazos).

Edited by CleverNickname

24 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I know I could track this down... but it seems like there could be another big reservoir on the Trinity besides Lake Livingston. Bottle all that Dallas flood water and see about doing something useful with it. (I know it Graves is rolling in his grave, but that's a lot of water that isn't very productive.  And Yes I know the Trinity is not the Brazos).

As one who is currently (finally) reading Goodbye to a River, this hits close to home 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Several of the tributaries to the Trinity are impounded to form lakes.  Cedar Creek, Richland Creek, hell even White Rock Creek.  Cedar Creek and Richland Creek are major water suppliers.

That's what I was thinking. But h2o already in the main channel only has Lake Livingston?

We had another half-inch over night (from about midnight to 2am off and on).  I'm literally looking at photos of the Dallas and Austin floods from earlier this week while reading about a massive discovery of more dinosaur tracks due to drought between the two flooded cities.  

Looks like next week could be even wetter than the last 6 days.  Friday's looking the last serious chance for scrotum stew, High of 96 with 86% humidity.  Those days are worse to me than 107 and dry.  Was it 2019 or 2020 that we had a really mild, wet summer and then "Autumn" told us to prepare thy anus and hit us with no rain and 98* every day from Labor Day until Halloween?  

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Ain't that something?

We probably got about another 1/2" of rain overnight.  I like these little top offs and its good to see previously tan/brown landscape waking up.

We have an island in our cul de sac.  It was completely brown 5 days ago.  It is completely green now -- I'm sure with species of weeds that were not yet known to science, but still....green, in August.

Woulda been nice to get some more of this heavy rain over the lakes, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, South Austin said:

I remember the first time I saw the Trinity River in Dallas from my office building after a rare torrential downpour, around 1999 or 2000, and it was a holy shit picture like that.  I had no idea the basin area could flood that much.

That's where they were trying for years to approve a new road/park system. Wonder why that failed?

Edited by RPM

58 minutes ago, RPM said:

That's where they were trying for years to approve a new road/park system. Wonder why that failed?

Actually using that space for a park system is a great idea... you can see that in Houston with areas like George Bush Park.  Turned it into soccer facilities and all types of "floodable" amenities.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Possible storm/depression/hurricane next week?

Per the spacecity guys, the thing labeled "1" here is reasonably likely to develop into a TD or TS in the GOM late next week. Definitely some question marks regarding Labor Day weekend weather for folks in TX and LA.

tropics1.jpg

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

Geez. Even with the flooding, the Dallas area is still in severe drought conditions? That's pretty crazy

No most of DFW is now in moderate drought. You can see where the light beige cuts right through the metro where the rain train ran.

But no we needed 15 inches ACROSS North Texas to break the drought. So still plenty to be had.

13 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

i got 4 inches from that one cloud in Cedar Park.

my dirt appreciated it. :(

That was nasty.  Drove down to Tomo to pickup dinner for my wife and I, sky was all kinds of gnarly.  Rain started just as the kids were going to bed.  

Right as we were watching end of episode one of House of Dragons, shit hit the fan and scared my kiddos right outta bed in a big way…totally burned my chances with the wife, though I’m sure that birth scene wasn’t helping either.