2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

9 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

The scattered showers bit is really getting old.  Fox 7 showed the rainfall amounts for the month and year to date for Mabry and ABIA.  0.70" behind Mabry and 2.8" behind ABIA for this month and right at 5 inches for the year (making it 11" below normal) and I'm less than 20 miles from both.  The cracks in the ground are just as bad now as they were in July.

Would you rather it be a hundred and fuck without a cloud in the sky like in 2001? 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the highlands have gotten 3-5 inches of rain the past 36 hours so that's great.  

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Rain needs to happen west/north west of Lake Travis for it do any good. Most of the rain we recently had has been to the south and east of the Highland Lakes. 

Basically we need a hurricane to park itself over Llano for about a week.

This is 48 hour totals

image.thumb.jpeg.080509cf879a5b9233018e08c6403c93.jpeg

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

We're getting decent rains in mostly the right areas.  It's just not running off yet.  We need a lot more, in quicker succession, to make a dent in the lake levels.

Basically, we need very heavy flooding to move the needle much.  And that comes with its own set of problems.

15 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is what the soil moisture for Central Texas looked like before today.  I think this only updates once a day so it will be interesting to see what it is tomorrow or when it updates next. 

image.thumb.png.bd377168eb7ea4009c29381c5abba70b.png

What a difference a day makes.  Most of the rain the Hill Country gets over the next week should eventually make it's way into the rivers and lakes.  This is how a drought is busted.

image.thumb.png.ee38a9bfc665d7a8119483d513d9cc85.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Today was supposed to be the one day it didn't rain in Houston. Been pouring sideways and thundering every 5 seconds outside my office window for 20 minutes now. 

Yep.  This weather sucks.  77057 has had almost 13 inches of rain this month.  And more than a 50% chance of rain the next 10 days.   

32 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Is that shit actually holding together? My app forecasts went from practically zero rain to 1.5” since I looked earlier today. I put out a bunch of things I don’t want to get wet and rang a dinner bell for the storm just to entice it

Don’t know why I can’t just keep my fucking mouth shut.

Agreed, but the potential event is still several days away.  Things can and will change.  Any rain that falls in the Highland Lake's basins should be runoff. 

image.thumb.png.cb26bdb1f9fa65e52f81051b91bca801.png

The tropical storm that is expected to be pulled across Mexico and into Texas is just now beginning to form.

image.png.1f6473d504c91264822f85deb38bb7e4.png

image.png.1b8dfe072de58cc984bcc6084bd9a155.png

• Hook 'Em 2

For Austin folks, what are we looking at for game tomorrow.  Seems like scattered throughout day maybe clearing out at night based on what I'm seeing online but curious if any of the TV guys have made any more precise predictions on likelihood of significant rain pre and during game (bringing kids pregame through hopefully first half at least).