2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

22 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Back porch, heavy rain no tornadic shit, frontal passage, bourbon in hand. 

Paradise.

My burgers did not quite have enough time on the grill. Got soaked rescuing them. Told the fam they got grill seared, oven finished beef tonight. The toasted buns sadly were an irrecoverable tragedy. 

4 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

NL have you considered that it might be your fault that the much needed rain has been passing you by so frequently?  Perhaps you have been touching yourself too frequently?

You assholes should be thanking me for moving out of Austin. Yall have never gotten so much rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, you would have woken up tomorrow and told yourself, "Of course the Moon is fucking blood red on Election Day.  Ah well, no matter happens today-I'll still have that lunar eclipse everybody's been talking about to look forward to on Wednesday."  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

is @phdhorn still taking forecast requests?

We've planned to be camping this saturday into sunday at Meridian state park.  Forecast calls for 'scattered thunderstorms', should we cancel or does it seem like we'll just be getting short lived stuff that we should bear with?  its a group of people (moms with toddlers) without much stomach for dealing with weather...

12 minutes ago, gurt said:

is @phdhorn still taking forecast requests?

We've planned to be camping this saturday into sunday at Meridian state park.  Forecast calls for 'scattered thunderstorms', should we cancel or does it seem like we'll just be getting short lived stuff that we should bear with?  its a group of people (moms with toddlers) without much stomach for dealing with weather...

csb/ we went camping there years ago for our anniversary with SIL/husband.  We're in two separate tents ready for bed.  Lightning storm outta fucking nowhere just blows up and you can feel how close they are.  And like right now, it was unseasonably warm.  Well gotta get to something more grounded than a tent made of fucking aluminum.  So we all four double-timed it back in the car, windows up.  And the fucking lightshow just doesn't let up for an hour.  It was so fucking hot in that car by the end, my flatulence from campfire food was insane, and we all nodded off and made our way one-by-one back to the tents afterwards.  Next morning, huge tree just ~20-30 meters from our campsite just scorched and burned.  

I've camped in blizzards, altitude, deserts, and an actual monsoon.  But I ain't ever going back out there with lightning.  There's just nothing you can really do when you're backcountry and I'm on a streak of shit luck lately.  

So I woke up in the middle of the night, remembered we were supposed to get storms, checked the KXAN weather app and it shows a big cluster of storms had already passed through.  LCRA's Hydromet says we got no rain, though.  Did these storms form east of town or is the LCRA site borked?

I can't find a radar loop that goes far enough back in time to catch that front from, say, midnight on.