2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

Post-Disney check in.

Spent the last 7 days on Disney property. According to my watch, I walked 54.1 miles from the time I left the house on June 7 until I arrived home last night.  I ate like absolute shit (examples: had Dole Whip for breakfast one day, ate too damned much at OHana for dinner one evening,  moonshine and fried chicken for another meal,  I drank at Epcot, at dinner, you get the idea). There was no exercise aside from the walking, and obviously no dietary concerns.

I weighed the same as I did before I left. Beats the hell out of me.  Going to jump on the bike here in a bit for my first ride since June 6.

Carry on everyone.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don’t have a scale since it’s in storage but I am feeling great and will update weight at the end of the month.  I took my longest break from working out moving to Cali which took us three days.  Now I’m running 3 days a week, 45 minutes each time, plus playing tennis or lifting weights the other days.  

The toughest thing to do right now is shut my door and sit in a closet working all day.  But this too shall pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Post-Disney check in.

Spent the last 7 days on Disney property. According to my watch, I walked 54.1 miles from the time I left the house on June 7 until I arrived home last night.  I ate like absolute shit (examples: had Dole Whip for breakfast one day, ate too damned much at OHana for dinner one evening,  moonshine and fried chicken for another meal,  I drank at Epcot, at dinner, you get the idea). There was no exercise aside from the walking, and obviously no dietary concerns.

I weighed the same as I did before I left. Beats the hell out of me.  Going to jump on the bike here in a bit for my first ride since June 6.

Carry on everyone.

Disney diet begins in two weeks here.  

I'm down about 15 pounds from mid-March.  I'm 6' tall.  Was 210 in Vegas; 198 today.  I haven't done anything crazy; just made a bunch of small changes mostly because I was suddenly beginning to feel my age.

I do have an odd question for the board.  My cholesterol came in at 266 a couple of months ago.  I began taking Lovastatin (I think that's the name).  Anyway, I've read that there are no real physical symptoms of high cholesterol ... until one dies.  That being said, I've been feeling much better physically lately.  Is it possible to have positive physical effects of my cholesterol slowly going down or am I just presenting a placebo effect?  I realize losing weight helps, but I'm getting far fewer things like shooting pains in my chest, less fatigue when exercising, etc...

On 5/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, Storm the Field said:

More or less completely bungled it after Dry January ended and ended back at square one by mid-March. Think 208 was my high. Have slowly been getting my shit back together over the past 6 or 7 weeks. Been making it to the gym and lifting more consistently than at any point in the past 2 years and have a pretty good gym routine ingrained at this point.

Haven't lost a ton of weight, but definitely have regained some muscle tone and probably dropped body fat % a couple ticks. So while the weight is only down a few lbs, at least some of it has moved from my gut to my arms and shoulders, which is progress. Gonna sound stupid, but I caught myself in the grocery store security camera feed on Sunday and actually liked what I saw for the first time in a long while.

Definitely feel like I flipped a switch here in my late 30's where it just takes longer to shed weight than it did earlier in life. The key, of course, will be sticking with it. Even if I can only drop a pound or two every month, that would put me down 10-15  lbs or so and an inch or two off the waistline from where I started. I'd like to get under 200 sometime in June and stay there for the rest of the year. I'll be elated if I'm 190 or less come the Holidays.

1 month later check in. Still steady working out and eating better. Definitely in much better "shape" than when I started. Gut still soft but protruding out way less than before, pants are fitting great, starter double chin receding...etc.

Still a grind to actually drop any significant weight though. 202 as of yesterday morning. In an effort to achieve the bolded, I decided to be extra strict on the diet and make sure I hit the gym every weekday this week and next. I think I can breach 200 sometime next week. Wish me luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've plateaued weight wise, but my fitness is definitely better than since my young days.  The other day I had to run to catch the last bus back up to The Woodlands else I would be stuck downtown for another three hours... sprinted a full 2.5 blocks with a computer bag and caught that fucker before the next red light changed.  After settling into my seat my heart rate and breathing were pretty much back to normal within a minute.  Six months ago I would have never attempted to chase down the bus and even if I did do it and survived I might have calmed down 30 minutes later. 

Still wouldn't mind dropping another three pounds but I can maintain my current exercise routine and eating habits without any issue going forward.  If this is where I finish; I'm good with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I broke 200 a several years ago and got down to 185 during Covid, mainly by limiting carbs and riding my MTB 5-6 days a week. Crept back up post Covid to the low 190s.

We leave for our 25th anniversary trip to Jamaica in 8 days and wanted to get to 175 as a present to myself and bride. Came damn close as of yesterday afternoon of my 52nd Bday and know I’ll be able to shed whatever I added last night and from this coming weekend by next Saturday.

The great things are that my blood work came back totally normal. My urine showed ketones, buts that’s because I have been really good about not having carbs these past several weeks. My calcium score on the heart screen CT was ZERO.

The best things are having to buy size M shirts and 32” pants/shorts.

56baec241624e132dcc3d485e948b699.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Curious if anyone in here has had their testosterone levels checked? I’m having mine checked next month and wondering who has, results, and if you’re on any therapies (what kind, dosage, etc.)

What ranges should I be looking for? I know there’s a free testosterone level I should be paying attention to but other than that, I just want to make sure I’m on the right path. Thanks guys.

If you’re over 35 your levels are low. I found out mine was low when we were having issues getting pregnant and I went through the full fertility gambit. Got pregnant and had the kids then was able to get on a regimen that no joke changed my life. I was drinking a pot of coffee before lunch, energy drink mid afternoon and still needed a nap on my days off in between caffeine doses. Got everything lined out and now I only drink one cup of coffee and that’s on days I’m at work. Energy drink maybe 2-3 times a month and more so because I like the taste than actually need them. 10% body fat year round. Chase the wife around like I’m 16 and just discovered pussy for the first time.

Every doctor is different so you need to make sure yours is in tune with what you’re wanting/expecting. My doctor said “normal test for your age is 800-1100 and I want you at 1099!”.

I know people whose doctor said “your test is 305 and normal for your age is 300 to 800 so I’m not giving you any treatment right now. Come back in a year.” If you come across a doc like this, give them the middle finger and walk out immediately.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

If you’re over 35 your levels are low. I found out mine was low when we were having issues getting pregnant and I went through the full fertility gambit. Got pregnant and had the kids then was able to get on a regimen that no joke changed my life. I was drinking a pot of coffee before lunch, energy drink mid afternoon and still needed a nap on my days off in between caffeine doses. Got everything lined out and now I only drink one cup of coffee and that’s on days I’m at work. Energy drink maybe 2-3 times a month and more so because I like the taste than actually need them. 10% body fat year round. Chase the wife around like I’m 16 and just discovered pussy for the first time.

Every doctor is different so you need to make sure yours is in tune with what you’re wanting/expecting. My doctor said “normal test for your age is 800-1100 and I want you at 1099!”.

I know people whose doctor said “your test is 305 and normal for your age is 300 to 800 so I’m not giving you any treatment right now. Come back in a year.” If you come across a doc like this, give them the middle finger and walk out immediately.

Thanks man. Did you find more success going to a GP or urologist?

My doc. He’s super bad ass and I have an open line of communication with him. About a year or so ago he stopped accepting insurance and it actually made my life easier and cheaper. I get blood work done every 4 months, we have telephone checkups every 6 months unless bloodwork comes back out of range or I need it sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:08 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

I hear a lot of radio ads about "low t" but I always wrote that off as bro science and grifting. Guess I'll cut down on the soy lattes and soyrizo.

• Haha 1

Was the heaviest I’ve ever been at 217 three weeks ago (6’1.5 so i hide it well) Took an aggressive approach to diet basically eliminating carbs and really only eating one meal a day with healthy snacks the other two meal times. Also cut out soda and drinking probably 4x as much water as I was before.

Got down to 205 as of last week and had the motivation to start going back to the gym. Want to lose another 10-12 lbs and also put on some muscle in targeted areas. Feeing confident but we’ll see what happens with another week or two as I start relaxing on diet some and maybe do 3x/week at gym.

I still maintain that fasting/extreme dieting, while not long term sustainable, can be a great kickstarter to a more healthy diet and lifestyle.

• Hook 'Em 3

So I've stopped fucking around with low fat intake.  I went and had bloodwork done a few weeks ago and got some markers for hormones being all out of whack as well as some liver/kidney markers that are eleveated.  I immediately knew what the issue was and have adjusted my fat intake.  I'm using a 35/35/30 split of carb/protein/fat and have already gained a few pounds.  I'm up to 183 and feel absolutely wonderful.  My testosterone levels were low.  Like very low.  I've slowly started to feel my libido turning around and thinking back, I was pretty miserable. 

I'm going to try and hit 190 before I start training for the half marathon.  Race is in January and training should start around the first of September. 

I think a lot of people in society today only think eating disorders can effect women.  I feel like I was self-sabotaging myself and subconsciously trying to not gain weight because I'm afraid I'll become a fatass again.  But what I was doing was not sustainable.  I felt like shit, was sleeping like shit, and was just not a pleasant person to be around given the hormonal imbalance that comes with eliminating most forms of fat from a diet.  I've started to include whole eggs, avocados, nuts, nut butters and fatty fish to have a better balanced diet.  I have to get at least 75g of fat every day from these sources.  It really is amazing how what you eat can metabolically effect your mood, attitude, and overall mental health.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Alright gents, time to jump right in. I haven't lifted so much as a burger into my face since my daughter was born 11 months ago and the results are depressing. Currently sitting at 215 (6'0) and looking to get down to 195 or so that I was a few years ago.

Last night I warmed up with stretching and 3 mins of continuous jump rope, then an allround workout (KB squats, abs, pushups on heavy ball, resistance bands then using the TerraCore).

I think I went too hard given the time off it's been and holy shit I feel it today, but I feel better mentally already.

Diet-wise I can be pretty disciplined and don't feel like I'm missing out on much since I don't really do sweets or sodas. Weekly pizza-and-a-movie-night with my son will suck to navigate. My problem is beer and I'd like to lose as much as I can while being healthy before football season starts back up and my drinking goes up. 

Tomorrow is kettlebell flow day, let's get it boys. 

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Alright gents, time to jump right in. I haven't lifted so much as a burger into my face since my daughter was born 11 months ago and the results are depressing. Currently sitting at 215 (6'0) and looking to get down to 195 or so that I was a few years ago.

Last night I warmed up with stretching and 3 mins of continuous jump rope, then an allround workout (KB squats, abs, pushups on heavy ball, resistance bands then using the TerraCore).

I think I went too hard given the time off it's been and holy shit I feel it today, but I feel better mentally already.

Diet-wise I can be pretty disciplined and don't feel like I'm missing out on much since I don't really do sweets or sodas. Weekly pizza-and-a-movie-night with my son will suck to navigate. My problem is beer and I'd like to lose as much as I can while being healthy before football season starts back up and my drinking goes up. 

Tomorrow is kettlebell flow day, let's get it boys. 

Sign up for MyFitnessPal app and track everything you put in your mouth.  And weigh/measure it before it goes in your mouth.  This includes beer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Sign up for MyFitnessPal app and track everything you put in your mouth.  And weigh/measure it before it goes in your mouth.  This includes beer.

Good call, I used to use that app years ago and it dropped off the radar. Will add it back 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've done that before.  It became a pain in the ass to track for long periods of time.  But doing it for about two to three weeks gave me a real good sense of my daily macros and total caloric intake (combo if calories in via food and calories out by exercise), and let me know how certain adjustments (e.g., a day of no exercise, eating out, alcohol) can make a big swing.

End of week 32 of my transformation and some of the cool stats I've tracked over that time:

Net weight loss:  34.8 lbs

Waist size from 38" to 34"

Workouts done on the stationary bike:  228

Total calories burned on the bike:  85,111

Total miles ridden on the bike:  1,970 miles

Total net elevation climbed on the bike:  137,626 ft

Days skipped riding the bike:  12

Most workouts in one day:  4

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Alcohol intake leads inhibitions which leads to bad food intake.  Just a reminder. 

Ceasing alcohol can lead to increased sugar cravings as well.  FOR ME the best thing to do is avoid all sugar or artificially sweetened products until the sugar cravings cease.  I HAVE NOTICED, FOR ME, Coke Zero or artificially sweetened foods keep the cravings alive and make it much easier to slip up and grab that just one cookie.  YMMV

Edited by Jerry Callo

25 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Ceasing alcohol can lead to increased sugar cravings as well.  Best thing to do is avoid all sugar or artificially sweetened products until the sugar cravings cease.  Coke Zero or artificially sweetened foods keep the cravings alive and make it much easier to slip up and grab that just one cookie.

One cookie leads to two, which leads to an entire sleeve, which leads to an entire box.  One of the reasons I also don't do "cheat days" and rather just do a "cheat meal".

On 7/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, Enchubben said:

Was the heaviest I’ve ever been at 217 three weeks ago (6’1.5 so i hide it well) Took an aggressive approach to diet basically eliminating carbs and really only eating one meal a day with healthy snacks the other two meal times. Also cut out soda and drinking probably 4x as much water as I was before.

Got down to 205 as of last week and had the motivation to start going back to the gym. Want to lose another 10-12 lbs and also put on some muscle in targeted areas. Feeing confident but we’ll see what happens with another week or two as I start relaxing on diet some and maybe do 3x/week at gym.

I still maintain that fasting/extreme dieting, while not long term sustainable, can be a great kickstarter to a more healthy diet and lifestyle.

Update after another week.  Have found a decent balance with diet, still limiting to only 1 regular/large meal a day with snacking as needed on somewhat healthy stuff; no sodas, no unnecessary snacking. Working out MWF.  Down to 201 or so but the pounds are harder to take off as of recently. I might actually need to eat more though as I am also trying to build some muscle groups up while I trim off any fat and I fear I'm not getting enough of what i need, primarily protein.

Ceasing alcohol can lead to increased sugar cravings as well.  Best thing to do is avoid all sugar or artificially sweetened products until the sugar cravings cease.  Coke Zero or artificially sweetened foods keep the cravings alive and make it much easier to slip up and grab that just one cookie.

No, no they don’t. Not even a little. Please quit spreading bullshit that was debunked two decades ago. Absolutely nothing inherently wrong with artificial sweeteners or diet sodas. If you drink 12 a day, there’s a problem, but even then it’s not a problem from a caloric intake standpoint.
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of the reasons I also don't do "cheat days" and rather just do a "cheat meal".

The amount of calories you would have to burn the rest of the week to offset a cheat day vs. a cheat meal is astounding. Also, the caloric restriction that would have to take place the rest of the week to offset an entire day of shitty eating vs one meal is equally astounding. In a lot of cases people feel guilty about their overindulgence and they try to restrict their intake and then they also try to increase their caloric expenditure. The result is 2-3 or maybe even 4 days of caloric deficit hell, followed by a mental breaking point where they once again binge and go completely off the rails. Once again, consistency is key. Slow and steady wins the race.

45 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The amount of calories you would have to burn the rest of the week to offset a cheat day vs. a cheat meal is astounding. Also, the caloric restriction that would have to take place the rest of the week to offset an entire day of shitty eating vs one meal is equally astounding. In a lot of cases people feel guilty about their overindulgence and they try to restrict their intake and then they also try to increase their caloric expenditure. The result is 2-3 or maybe even 4 days of caloric deficit hell, followed by a mental breaking point where they once again binge and go completely off the rails. Once again, consistency is key. Slow and steady wins the race.

Correct. 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, pearlandhorn said:

So I've stopped fucking around with low fat intake.  I went and had bloodwork done a few weeks ago and got some markers for hormones being all out of whack as well as some liver/kidney markers that are eleveated.  I immediately knew what the issue was and have adjusted my fat intake.  I'm using a 35/35/30 split of carb/protein/fat and have already gained a few pounds.  I'm up to 183 and feel absolutely wonderful.  My testosterone levels were low.  Like very low.  I've slowly started to feel my libido turning around and thinking back, I was pretty miserable. 

I'm going to try and hit 190 before I start training for the half marathon.  Race is in January and training should start around the first of September. 

I think a lot of people in society today only think eating disorders can effect women.  I feel like I was self-sabotaging myself and subconsciously trying to not gain weight because I'm afraid I'll become a fatass again.  But what I was doing was not sustainable.  I felt like shit, was sleeping like shit, and was just not a pleasant person to be around given the hormonal imbalance that comes with eliminating most forms of fat from a diet.  I've started to include whole eggs, avocados, nuts, nut butters and fatty fish to have a better balanced diet.  I have to get at least 75g of fat every day from these sources.  It really is amazing how what you eat can metabolically effect your mood, attitude, and overall mental health.

I guess the 1980's finally called and asked for their low fat diet back.

Any idea what your fat percentage was prior to this current macro?

16 hours ago, F250 said:

I guess the 1980's finally called and asked for their low fat diet back.

Any idea what your fat percentage was prior to this current macro?

Probably close to 10/15%.  I'm already starting to feel better, have more energy, less moodiness, and have my libido back on track after raising it up to 30%.

• Hook 'Em 1

Late mid year check in, I’m closing in on my college weight which was my goal when I started trying to drop a few pounds a year or so ago. Down close to 50 at this point from making some simple diet changes and walking every day. I can eat the same thing every day, so I pretty much eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day and gave up a few things like bread/pasta/potato’s in the process. I’m going to see where my weight settles at some point before making any more significant changes. Refocused and made some adjustments in early June and have dropped 15 of it since then and still going.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Still yo-yoing with the weight, but have been in a good pattern for two weeks. I’m also tracking my food again instead of guessing. I found a 6-week weight program and working interval sprint work in. I need to be able to keep up with my soccer kids in 4 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have found a combination of chemotherapy and radiation treatment is an effective means of weight loss.  However, I do not recommend it.  Perpetual nausea is great to avoid eating.  Not so much to enjoy existing.

Hey, at least you’ll fit into your wedding suit.

Hang in there, SBB.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have found a combination of chemotherapy and radiation treatment is an effective means of weight loss.  However, I do not recommend it.  Perpetual nausea is great to avoid eating.  Not so much to enjoy existing.

Hey it beats the alternative.  Seriously, sorry you’re going through that but hang in there.  Are you having to do shots to regrow blood cells after chemo?

45 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Hey it beats the alternative.  Seriously, sorry you’re going through that but hang in there.  Are you having to do shots to regrow blood cells after chemo?

Just finished chemo this week.  One more radiation tomorrow and all done, well with that phase.  No one has mentioned that.  We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I’m back.

Was doing excellent. I think I was down 23 lbs, then I let life hand me a bunch of excuses. Gained about half back. But, I am back on it. Found some motivation. Last week lost a few lbs but now I am in Brazil and it’s hard to diet here with friends and family trying to feed us at every opportunity. No drinking though. Drawing a hard line on that. And of course I am catching shit from everyone. Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 12:13 PM, Enchubben said:

Update after another week.  Have found a decent balance with diet, still limiting to only 1 regular/large meal a day with snacking as needed on somewhat healthy stuff; no sodas, no unnecessary snacking. Working out MWF.  Down to 201 or so but the pounds are harder to take off as of recently. I might actually need to eat more though as I am also trying to build some muscle groups up while I trim off any fat and I fear I'm not getting enough of what i need, primarily protein.

Update a month later. Still off sodas and still watching what I eat, but I do eat at least 2 full meals a day and 2 snacks.  Hovering around 1800 calories a day, but very little carbs, and probably 70 grams of fat/140 grams protein a day. Weight has been around 195-198 and steady for 10 days now.  Noticeably stronger in the gym but other than arms, not really showing with muscle yet.

The fasting and very low calorie diet was a great kickstarter into a steady diet and exercise plan, 10/10 would recommend. Been using the MyFitnessPal app for nutrition tracking and it’s been super helpful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is the way

Supplement the gym with

• KB's
  • Sandbags 
  • Rucking

I forgot to update. After six weeks I'm down to 198 and can see some muscles reappearing. I'm going to try and shed a bit more of this body fat before I start strength training to add more muscle 

• Hook 'Em 1