Beer 2022: Electric Boogaloo

HenryJames

It's summer, hotter 'n fuck, and friends brought beer to house.  I'm grilling fajitas and shrimps.  Seemed like a free Shiner Lime N Salt would be OK for a try.

Gotdam the day is now filled with regret.

Horrible.

4a73fdaab083c2002c8c66cabc21c3b2.jpg

visited off color brewing yesterday and the owner, john laffler, happened to be behind the bar. talk to him a while and he gave me a tour of the production space and foeder/puncheon aging room. super nice guy. i’ve listened to him on countless podcasts over the years and followed him on twitter forever, so very cool experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Have any of you seen any Orval (trappist ale) on the shelves at your local places recently? The only two places near me that used to sell it don't seem to be selling it anymore. Sad. 

Don't think I've seen it anywhere in years.

In Austin, back in the day, Grapevine Market used to have the absolute best selection of Belgian imports.  Spec's and Total Wine really didn't come close.  But when Grapevine Market closed, we lost access to a lot of the Belgian beers I love.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

hefe.jpg

Kind of dark for a hefe, but pretty good.  These guys make a Dunkle Weizenbock that is the closest thing to Primus that can find.  Not better than Primus, but in the ballpark.  This hefe is tasty.  Wish I had Live Oak.

59 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I know we're two of the bigger stout fans on the board, but it's about time we started getting more options.

The calendar...it will start favoring us.

I can struggle through some Oktoberfest season first; but yeah, I drink stouts all year long too.  I'm gonna be in Jersey this weekend( new grandson!) and my secondary or third mission after baby and Italian food is finding some nice stouts/ porters.  Son shoots me beer menus at local places all the time and right now, with  Ommegang, Brooklyn, and a metric shit-ton of local trappist ales(?) dominating.  Maybe it's a function of where they go, not remotely approaching Penelope W'spoon territory, but they are big foodies. I'm down for tripels and quads for sure, too.

I said all that to get to this, as the weather cools off demand from regulars will warm up for stouts.