Yellowjackets - Showtime

WBT

Anyone watching this?  It's about a 90s high school girls soccer team whose plane crashes in the woods in Canada somewhere.  There's some present day story about the now-adult survivors then flashbacks to the team stranded in the woods.  Pretty good overall.

Spoiler

The last two weeks have really escalated when the goalie got her face half eaten off by a wolf and the jesus girl blew herself up trying to fly for help.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, WBT said:

Anyone watching this?  It's about a 90s high school girls soccer team whose plane crashes in the woods in Canada somewhere.  There's some present day story about the now-adult survivors then flashbacks to the team stranded in the woods.  Pretty good overall.

Reveal hidden contents

The last two weeks have really escalated when the goalie got her face half eaten off by a wolf and the jesus girl blew herself up trying to fly for help.

Spoiler

I'm very curious as to the extent of the mystical/supernatural element in this show. Both of those were things Lottie "saw", and of course there was the whole seance scene, with the weird symbols on the cabin floor. And then the compass freaking out by the red river. And Tai's creepy-ass sleepwalking behavior. The show needs to decide how much of a Lost element they want to run with, but I'm here for it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm watching.  But I'm disappointed how it's played out relative to the early premise.  

Spoiler

The creepy fire ceremony with them eating human flesh

Beyond the crash and immediate aftermath, it's pretty boring.

Kicked up quite a bit in episode 7 and 8, but I have no idea how they'll tie up all the loose ends in 2 more episoes.

Wanted more Lord of the Flies, less relationship bullshit.  But I like most of the characters. Lewis is awesome.  Ricci steals the show IMO.

20 hours ago, austingirl said:
  Hide contents

I'm very curious as to the extent of the mystical/supernatural element in this show. Both of those were things Lottie "saw", and of course there was the whole seance scene, with the weird symbols on the cabin floor. And then the compass freaking out by the red river. And Tai's creepy-ass sleepwalking behavior. The show needs to decide how much of a Lost element they want to run with, but I'm here for it.

The yellowjackets subreddit is pretty good for endless details and theories. https://www.reddit.com/r/Yellowjackets/

• Hook 'Em 1

I think some of the cast members read the speculation and fan art that's on there. Pretty funny.

The mods on that sub have tightened up the rules to try to prevent spoilers, but the show does drop on Amazon Prime at midnight. So if you browse the reddit between midnight and tomorrow night (and don't watch it tonight), be aware that spoilers do slip through in some of the posts.

Edited by retread

It probably could have been a great 6-8 episode series, but at 12 they're filling it with shit nobody cares about.

Juliette Lewis looks like 10 miles of hard road, and I don't think she's even acting at this point. Like, she showed up, the producers threw some coke on the shag carpet and the director said 'action.'

22 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

It probably could have been a great 6-8 episode series, but at 12 they're filling it with shit nobody cares about.

The show is planned out to be a slow burn across 5 seasons. A Breaking Bad type of thing. Season 1 is only 10 episodes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, 5 seasons = way too much bloat.That's 250+ hours.  What else is there to reveal? 

Did they eat one another? And not only in the female soccer team way? Yep.

I figured out who was behind the blackmail half way through this season. They're telegraphing pretty much every "shocking" reveal a mile down the road.

Now, if Christina Ricci unleashes her tites and spends an entire episode riding a Sybian I might reconsider.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, Horn80 said:

Good to know that you can get half your face eaten off or leg cut off in deep wilderness with no antibiotics and not die from infection.

Or that the same electric carving knife that can barely handle a 16 lb turkey at Thanksgiving is enough to dismember a body. 

Season 1 finale was decent enough to make me think I'll give season 2 a try.

Spoiler

At least they finally killed off the annoying Jackie.

I liked it. Lots of stuff to chew on. Thoughts:

• Spoiler
    • As much of a bitch as she was, I'm glad the team didn't kill Jackie. My guess is she's the first body they eat and then it goes downhill from there.
    • In her death scene we finally saw the mystery guy from the opening, so it looks like he's someone she knew who died. 
    • Now we know what happened to Biscuit. The new question is, was Taissa actually in a fugue state when she did it, and when she set up all the creepy shit in the basement? I can buy that she was out of her mind for some of it, but the shrine (or whatever it is) looks like it was set up pretty deliberately. Also, there was that creepy smile on her face when she was announced the winner. 
    • Lol at the reporter/fixer/whatever she is thinking that Misty would just let her leave.
    • I've been wondering if Adam was Javi. Something definitely didn't add up with him, and Javi seemed to have a crush on Shauna in the woods. But maybe the bear got him? At any rate, I'm looking forward to figuring out what his deal was now that we know he wasn't the blackmailer.
    • So Lottie is alive and probably had Travis killed, or at least knows what exactly happened to him. I keep forgetting that her family is super rich. My guess is that she has a team of fixers keeping an eye on everyone who got out of the woods and that's who grabbed Natalie, but if they're just trying to keep people quiet, why not just kill her?

On 1/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, austingirl said:

I liked it. Lots of stuff to chew on. Thoughts:

•   Hide contents
    • As much of a bitch as she was, I'm glad the team didn't kill Jackie. My guess is she's the first body they eat and then it goes downhill from there.
    • In her death scene we finally saw the mystery guy from the opening, so it looks like he's someone she knew who died. 
    • Now we know what happened to Biscuit. The new question is, was Taissa actually in a fugue state when she did it, and when she set up all the creepy shit in the basement? I can buy that she was out of her mind for some of it, but the shrine (or whatever it is) looks like it was set up pretty deliberately. Also, there was that creepy smile on her face when she was announced the winner. 
    • Lol at the reporter/fixer/whatever she is thinking that Misty would just let her leave.
    • I've been wondering if Adam was Javi. Something definitely didn't add up with him, and Javi seemed to have a crush on Shauna in the woods. But maybe the bear got him? At any rate, I'm looking forward to figuring out what his deal was now that we know he wasn't the blackmailer.
    • So Lottie is alive and probably had Travis killed, or at least knows what exactly happened to him. I keep forgetting that her family is super rich. My guess is that she has a team of fixers keeping an eye on everyone who got out of the woods and that's who grabbed Natalie, but if they're just trying to keep people quiet, why not just kill her?

Just binged the whole show over the MLK weekend.  I even took a look at the reddit forum.  I was a huge fan of Lost back in the day and thus far am impressed by the originality and characters.

Spoiler

My theory after season one is that show is not going to rely on any supernatural crutches like Lost did.  When Lost was at its best, there were intertwined stories and character interactions, that while improbable were not impossible.  And when you really think about the crutches Lost used, there were really only a few that defied explanation: (Hidden Island, time travel explosion, mysterious powers of the island that were bestowed on Jacob and others, that whole purgatory throw away thing at the end.)

Yellowjackets has more than enough material to already to explore what happened in the wild, stuff going on now and anything that happened in the in between 25 years.  The story lines are almost endless without having to go into anything hinted at already like evil dead spirits, unknown forces preventing exit, or prophecies.  In fact it already seems like the creators have gone out of their way to explain away any supernatural events.

I think in future seasons we will see some shenanigans by the starting cast  that will probably reveal an after the fact cult, repressed memories and actions, dirty deeds between rescue and the present (I am fully convinced Misty is probably some kind of nursing home serial killer), and possibly some involvement of "others" in the woods.

Possible twists:

Shauna's diary was the rated G version of what happened.

Maybe Natalie did actually off herself and the abduction scene was what her death looked like as she crossed over presumably to hell.

The symbol in the woods was made by one the girls.

Another sick thought:

Spoiler

Shauna's teenage daughter is obviously not the baby she was carrying in the woods.  Possible that child died after birth and was eaten..or stayed in the woods with the "others" only to grow up and and torment the survivors.

9 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Just binged the whole show over the MLK weekend.  I even took a look at the reddit forum.  I was a huge fan of Lost back in the day and thus far am impressed by the originality and characters.

Hide contents

My theory after season one is that show is not going to rely on any supernatural crutches like Lost did.  When Lost was at its best, there were intertwined stories and character interactions, that while improbable were not impossible.  And when you really think about the crutches Lost used, there were really only a few that defied explanation: (Hidden Island, time travel explosion, mysterious powers of the island that were bestowed on Jacob and others, that whole purgatory throw away thing at the end.)

Yellowjackets has more than enough material to already to explore what happened in the wild, stuff going on now and anything that happened in the in between 25 years.  The story lines are almost endless without having to go into anything hinted at already like evil dead spirits, unknown forces preventing exit, or prophecies.  In fact it already seems like the creators have gone out of their way to explain away any supernatural events.

I think in future seasons we will see some shenanigans by the starting cast  that will probably reveal an after the fact cult, repressed memories and actions, dirty deeds between rescue and the present (I am fully convinced Misty is probably some kind of nursing home serial killer), and possibly some involvement of "others" in the woods.

Possible twists:

Shauna's diary was the rated G version of what happened.

Maybe Natalie did actually off herself and the abduction scene was what her death looked like as she crossed over presumably to hell.

The symbol in the woods was made by one the girls.

Spoiler

I think Lottie is somewhat clairvoyant, and/or has some related otherworldly powers, which she used to start a kind of cult in the woods that carried on after the rescue (of which Taissa is still a member), but at this point that's the only mystical element I can get behind. I don't think there's some power trying to keep them in the woods a la the Lost island. Everything else can be explained either logically or by the fact that they were all slowly going crazy from a combo of starvation, isolation, Misty's shrooms, and loss of hope. Laura Lee's plane blew up because it was ancient and she didn't know how to correctly perform a fucking safety check. And I'm not entirely convinced that Van was actually attacked by a wolf. Tai woke up to screaming and the other girls fending off a pack, and then ran off to find Van already bloody and mauled. We know she eats dirt and has taken bites out of herself as an adult while in her sleepwalking fugue states. I think there's a case to be made for her being Van's attacker, but I don't think she did it consciously.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Started it this weekend. I've only watched the first three episodes. I don't care about the present day storylines all that much, but the stuff in the woods has been intense. Misty is fucking crazy. 

Spoiler

In the first episode I thought for sure we'd see how Misty was injecting poison into her patients' IVs. Then they tried to make us feel sorry for her and then like her, which sort of worked - I actually LOLed at her snorting Natalie's coke to keep her sober. She is 100% a psychopath though. My guess is that she's still in Lottie's cult and has been keeping an eye on the others for her.

Through episode 7.  The show is great but Juliette Lewis is a beating. People need to stop casting her in shit where she cries or yells.  The girl that plays young version is excellent but Lewis just sucks.

Spoiler

Adam = Javi.   That’s obvious, right?

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Finished show.  

Spoiler

- Still think Adam may be Javi

- Lottie’s cult swung election

- Next season will be the clans “lord of rings” season.  Split will be who is willing and who is not willing to eat Jackie  

- Did Jessica (the fixer hired by Tai) have wounds/scars below her collarbone in Ep 1 when she was interviewing principal?   Never came back to that so maybe it was something else.  

- Would love it if Lewis had to drop out and that role was recast.  

• 3 weeks later...

Finished it last night. Was totally waiting for the cannibalism.  I too was thinking Adam = javi. Lots of side story lines. Misty super fucked. Kinda hot in her old age. Nat. Good lord girl time was not good to you at all. Stay away from drugs. Pretty wild looking forward to season 2. . . 

I deliberately avoided learning whether this was a one-off or a multi-season show just to avoid knowing any more than necessary, but it became pretty clear pretty early on in the final episode of S1 that there was a lot more ground to cover in order to bring us back to the opening punjee pit chase scene and meal. 

I like how open-ended it all is now that we definitely know that there were more than just the four main adult women plus Travis who survived. 

I enjoy shows like this that periodically and unexpectedly just go completely off the rails like

Spoiler

the seance scene, the wolf attack (I share a previous poster's skepticism that we have the full story), the stabbing of loverboy, etc. 

I also got a real kick out of how quickly and completely Shauna's whole marital deception/perception got turned upside down. 

I get the complaints, but I think Juliette Lewis was very well-cast. I've also been impressed with all the young actors.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3 episodes into season 2 and I'm still liking it.

• Spoiler
    • Adult Shauna is nuts in the best way - her monologue in ep 3 about peeling the skin off of someone might be my favorite scene in the show so far. They also do a good job contrasting her with high school Shauna.
    • I like how they are leaning into the supernatural stuff. I don't want things to veer into lots of deus ex machina situations, but it's working so far.
    • Coach Ben will be the next body they eat, right?
    • "Ben...you good bro?" had me lol

Edited by austingirl

Enjoying it, but some of the homages are bordering on rip off between Lost (polar bear/white moose) and Twin Peaks (Bob/No Eyed Man).

Hell --- there is one theory that the mossy tree is a hatch to something underground and that's where Javy is.  Shauna is clearly referencing something that we haven't seen yet in her threatening monologue to the chop shop owner.   

In any event, it's entertaining and often very funny.  I expect Jeff is going to be prime suspect for the cop now.  I also expect Nat/Tai to find out Jeff was behind the blackmail at some point.  I thought it was going to happen in Misti's Cyrano interrogation, but they didn't get that far.  

.... also, is nose ring girl Shauna's, maybe?

Edited by A-Tex Devil

• 2 weeks later...

I am.  I hope they have this mapped out. But I enjoying it. 

Queen card with eyes crossed out either means you are meat or you are antler Queen and get to pick the meat.  Right?

They are in the woods for about another year after where we are now.  A lot is going to happen. 

I’m struggling theorizing for this show like I like to do for others.  Just along for the ride at this point, which is why I am not posting much.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Another sick thought:

Reveal hidden contents

Shauna's teenage daughter is obviously not the baby she was carrying in the woods.  Possible that child died after birth and was eaten..or stayed in the woods with the "others" only to grow up and and torment the survivors.

Spoiler

The showrunners promised that Shauna's baby wouldn't get eaten, but look at those motherfuckers loopholing that shit with a hallucination. The end of last week's episode was heartbreaking and explained a lot about her current personality. 

I LOLed at Jeff trying to look like a badass at the police station with his NWA blasting.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah…. The last two episodes seemed to missing big chunks that would have helped me better understand character motivation.  I feel like they think they are being high brow and presuming the viewer is sophisticated enough to get things that aren’t shown on screen or are alluded to, but really it’s poor plotting. 

Spoiler

I presume Juliette Lewis wanted off the show.  Goth Cop Kevin’s death Carrie’s absolutely zero weight with her gone too.  That whole murder investigation solution. Was dumb. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

22 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So yeah…. The last two episodes seemed to missing big chunks that would have helped me better understand character motivation.  I feel like they think they are being high brow and presuming the viewer is sophisticated enough to get things that aren’t shown on screen or are alluded to, but really it’s poor plotting. 

Reveal hidden contents

I presume Juliette Lewis wanted off the show.  Goth Cop Kevin’s death Carrie’s absolutely zero weight with her gone too.  That whole murder investigation solution. Was dumb. 

I thought the second-to-last episode was great, but they fumbled a bit with the finale. Still enjoyed it but a few things.

Spoiler

1. Was really hoping to find out who the running girl in the first scene of the first episode is, but I guess that's off the table till season 3.

2. Am I the only one who thinks Callie kind of sucks? She gives me major Paige (from The Americans) vibes.

3. How did Shauna end up the group's resident butcher in the 1996 timeline? Did I miss something?

4. What's with the tree Ben found? I can't tell how much of this they are expecting us to think is supernatural vs. just a bunch of starving people hallucinating. Like the girl who keeps hearing dripping and the other one walking around with a dead mouse pet.

17 hours ago, austingirl said:

I thought the second-to-last episode was great, but they fumbled a bit with the finale. Still enjoyed it but a few things.

Hide contents

1. Was really hoping to find out who the running girl in the first scene of the first episode is, but I guess that's off the table till season 3.

2. Am I the only one who thinks Callie kind of sucks? She gives me major Paige (from The Americans) vibes.

3. How did Shauna end up the group's resident butcher in the 1996 timeline? Did I miss something?

4. What's with the tree Ben found? I can't tell how much of this they are expecting us to think is supernatural vs. just a bunch of starving people hallucinating. Like the girl who keeps hearing dripping and the other one walking around with a dead mouse pet.

I’m guessing some of this is post production editing choices and the answers to your questions likely are on the cutting room floor. 

I'm still a couple of episodes behind but it feels like nothing much is happening.  I was questioning whether I should bail but the cult chick taking a beating to that Live song was fun.  I guess I'll finish up the last 2.

I’ve kept watching for the wilderness storyline and to get clarity on the show’s supernatural elements, but the Season 2 finale was an absolute, unmitigated train wreck… Like Riverdale on the CW network bad. The present day “adult” storyline has officially jumped the shark. 

The writers grabbed our attention with a bunch of “mysteries” in season 1 (visions, the man with no eyes, cabin skeleton, antler queen, sleep walking/dirt eating, creepy pagan symbols, etc.), but we haven’t really learned anything new yet. They either 1) Haven’t figured out explanations or 2) Are trying to really drag this out

And with the writers strike impacting season 3, I suspect we’ll never get satisfying answers… 

Edited by ATXhorn17