Tulum, Mexico

Theo Aquacates

We went last April and stayed at Ma'xanab which we thought was great. It had a good location on the beach and was walkable to a lot of other nearby hotels, beach clubs, and restaurants. Thinking about a return trip this spring.

We had dinner at Arca which we both loved and Kitchen Table which we thought was good but not great. Also had late night drinks at a place called Meze that we really liked.

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed down there next week, and staying at Ana y Jose on the beach.

Curious whether it is worth it to go in to town for lunch and bump around one afternoon?  

Other than just hanging on the beach, we're planning the obligatory walk through the ruins, and maybe a kayak/SUP outing in a nearby cenote

I'll share the good/bad/worse, but hoping anyone with any recent experience chimes in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I were there for a wedding in October and I was a little unimpressed. It's WAY too crowded for the infrastructure and takes an 30 minutes to an hour just to get from the town to the beach.  Drinks and food were US prices and anywhere off the beach has that typical Mexico septic smell. 

I think I prefer Playa as a jumping off point if you want to hit the Cenotes, Cozumel for scuba, or Cancun if you're single and want to mingle. 

Playing devil's advocate with myself, we hit some parties while we were there that were out of control awesome so if that's your thing you might just favor ignoring the rest of my post.  As is typical of Quintana Roo almost all of the natives working down there are generally super nice, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, troph said:

South of tulum all the way to the Belize border is supposed to be fantastic, and for those that have been recently what’s the sargassum like when you were there?

this time of year, it's spotty. could be crystal clear, could be bad. summer time this past year was absolutely terrible.

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

this time of year, it's spotty. could be crystal clear, could be bad. summer time this past year was absolutely terrible.

Ugh the reason we haven’t been in five years (other than the west side of the islands).

On 1/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, LCHorn said:

My wife and I were there for a wedding in October and I was a little unimpressed. It's WAY too crowded for the infrastructure and takes an 30 minutes to an hour just to get from the town to the beach.  Drinks and food were US prices and anywhere off the beach has that typical Mexico septic smell. 

I think I prefer Playa as a jumping off point if you want to hit the Cenotes, Cozumel for scuba, or Cancun if you're single and want to mingle. 

Playing devil's advocate with myself, we hit some parties while we were there that were out of control awesome so if that's your thing you might just favor ignoring the rest of my post.  As is typical of Quintana Roo almost all of the natives working down there are generally super nice, too. 

Everything LC said. Tulum is an ecological and safety disaster area with Miami prices.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:46 AM, troph said:

South of tulum all the way to the Belize border is supposed to be fantastic, and for those that have been recently what’s the sargassum like when you were there?

It's not great. Some places make an effort to clean up the sargassum every day, some don't.  Mahahual looks much better than Xcalak, but Xcalak has Casa Cangrejo and Casa Caracola, who clean their own little beaches. I think you guys would have a good time at either place.

http://www.casacangrejoxcalak.com/

http://casacaracola.com/?lang=es

So...just got back yesterday.  It was just the wife and me, as the couple we planned to travel with had last minute "Covid issues."

The Good:

• The beach and water were pristine.  Apparently the seaweed was bad just a week ago (which is very early, and a bad sign for later in the spring and summer), but other than a random few patches in front of undeveloped property, it was a complete non-issue.
  • Any y Jose Hotel is an awesome property.  2nd floor ocean view room was large, comfortable, good A/C (even though it wasn't necessary this past weekend), and the view as phenomenal.  Walking distance to all restaurants worth going to in either direction. Good Wifi throughout the property including the beach.  Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas for all guests...no reservations necessary.
  • Food was excellent; daily breakfast at the hotel; outstanding tacos for lunch at Fresco's and La Malinche - both on the road, not the beach; dinners at Kitchen Table, Hartwood and Casa Banana were all excellent, both in food quality and attentive and competent service.
  • Younger crowd than we expected.  We are in our mid-50's and were very much on the outside edge of the median.  Of course, that results in extremely high quality bare ass on the beach....wow.  And there were MANY all-female groups.  And while on the topic....more than a few all-dude couples and groups (NTTAWWT).
  • The 1-hour beach massages for $90 (plus tip) are awesome.  There were about 5 different spots within a mile each way of our hotel.  I can't imagine that the ones in the hotel spa at twice the price could be any better.

The Not So Good:

• Definitely not a bargain trip.  While the hotel prices are far better than the high-end Cabo resorts like Las Ventanas or Esperanza, the food and drink prices are as high as anywhere.  Lunch with two margaritas each plus tip was at or near $100.00.  Dinners with cocktails and wine were around $300.00.  Of course, we ordered and ate "like we were on vacation" so there's that.  Minimum price for margaritas seemed to be $10 per pop.
  • Beach Clubs and Night Clubs - this was the least good part of the trip.  Just up the beach from Ana y Jose is Taboo and next to it, Tanatia (or something like that) and they engaged in a daily battle over who could play the loudest music.  The cool vibe mood music piped out by our hotel couldn't always cover the pulsing boom from the clubs.
  • Worse that the day beat....there are more that a couple of night clubs behind the hotel that crank it up even more past 1:00 AM.  It isn't any accident that earplugs are included in the toiletry items provided by the hotel.  Of course, this is obviously circular cause-and-effect for the younger "hip" crowd being down there.  
  • The shopping was for shit.  So if that's your thing, forget about it, at least in the beach zone.  Save and except for one or two boutiques that the wife found a couple of things, just the same crap in every store.
  • Beach peddlers are ever-present.  They are not necessarily aggressive, but some, especially the coconut kids, wander into the beach chair areas a little to close for my general tolerance.  But yeah, at least they're "working." 
  • Other than morning beach runs and daytime walks, we planted ourselves on the beach pretty much the whole time.  Any "excursion" to town, the ruins, or the cenotes would be 30+ minute cab ride each way, so we were not motivated to do any of that, simply because of logistics.  And the weather was just too perfect, and the beach too clean to leave for several hours.

Based on a few instagram accounts I follow its the new Cabo/Cancun I am an international world traveler but I've only been to Mexico and the bulk of my travel is to Vegas or Disney world.  I'm only here to take a picture with this sign then get shit faced at the resort with other Americans and eat American food.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Any "excursion" to town, the ruins, or the cenotes would be 30+ minute cab ride each way, so we were not motivated to do any of that, simply because of logistics.

Hold up. 

You went through all of the logistics to "arrive" in Tulum, but couldn't be bothered to visit the Mayan ruins?

Dude. 

I don't see how you can travel there and not see at least the ruins in Tulum, if not those and Chichen Itza

Well it’s easy to say that posting from a computer in Texas, but once you’re on the beach in Tulum and you’ve had a couple of margaritas with more on they way and you are surrounded by hot ass in g-string bikinis, your priorities tend to shift.

I say this as someone who has both been to the Tulum ruins as an excursion from PdC, and as someone who has stayed in Tulum itself and never left the beach.
  • Like 1

Well it’s easy to say that posting from a computer in Texas, but once you’re on the beach in Tulum and you’ve had a couple of margaritas with more on they way and you are surrounded by hot ass in g-string bikinis, your priorities tend to shift.

I say this as someone who has both been to the Tulum ruins as an excursion from PdC, and as someone who has stayed in Tulum itself and never left the beach.

Brother?

• 2 months later...

Read through the thread but thought I'd bump this up. I'm starting to date someone who already has an Arbnb booked for memorial day weekend.  I assume that she was supposed to go with her ex.  She already mentioned she is looking for someone to go with her but might just cancel the trip. I originally said yeah that sounds fun I'd probably be down.  However, I've read about the place more recently in Feb and March and it sounds like a trendy place lacking any infrastructure.  Anyone have any good reasons to not go here? I'm mainly just looking for some good excuses lol

Edited by Tex48

27 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Read through the thread but thought I'd bump this up. I'm starting to date someone who already has an Arbnb booked for memorial day weekend.  I assume that she was supposed to go with her ex.  She already mentioned she is looking for someone to go with her but might just cancel the trip. I originally said yeah that sounds fun I'd probably be down.  However, I've read about the place more recently in Feb and March and it sounds like a trendy place lacking any infrastructure.  Anyone have any good reasons to not go here? I'm mainly just looking for some good excuses lol

Need pics to properly answer.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, next2naus said:

I have not been in almost ten years and I doubt I'll ever go again. It really was "cooler" back in the day and there are other places to go if you want rustic, that being said, when i want Lux, I'll always go back to the Rosewood Mayakoba.

Yeah, that place is tits.  Stayed there ~4 years ago.  

Austin is also a trendy place lacking infrastructure. I’m not sure what kind of infrastructure you would really need in Tulum. The main road along the beach sucks, but once you are there you can walk or ride a bike most places.

6 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Go to Cancun.

We’re going to Tulum for the weekend. We needed to get out of town, wanted a place with warm weather, easy access from DFW, no mega resorts or all-inclusives, and fewer families. My goals are to lie on the beach, watch the wife hang out in skimpy bikinis, drink margaritas, and eat good food. Tulum checks those boxes for us.

We’ve been interested in places like Mayakoba or Punta Mita but those are mostly bigger resorts and seem a little more family friendly, so we’ll put them on the back burner if we ever have kids. We’ve also done Playa del Carmen a couple times and it’s fine but not our current preference. Cancun proper is probably not our cup of tea.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

We’re going to Tulum for the weekend. We needed to get out of town, wanted a place with warm weather, easy access from DFW, no mega resorts or all-inclusives, and fewer families. My goals are to lie on the beach, watch the wife hang out in skimpy bikinis, drink margaritas, and eat good food. Tulum checks those boxes for us.

We’ve been interested in places like Mayakoba or Punta Mita but those are mostly bigger resorts and seem a little more family friendly, so we’ll put them on the back burner if we ever have kids. We’ve also done Playa del Carmen a couple times and it’s fine but not our current preference. Cancun proper is probably not our cup of tea.

Punta Mita, at least the Four Seasons -- haven't been to other properties there, is amazing, but definitely has a family vibe to it.

Mayakoba, on the other hand, has some really amazing options if you want adult time. We go to the Banyan Tree several times per year. All the villas have private pools. Not little tiny pools, but real pools with lots of privacy. Great time being able to wake up and look outside to see your wife laying out by the pool tanning au naturel. Love that place.

• Like 1

The time to go to Tulum was 15 years ago. It is douchebag central now with a side of Cartel. Think Miami, think obnoxious lines for people waiting to take instagram pictures everywhere.

The only decent thing is the DJs that come and even now they want $200 a ticket for a good show. Downtown isnt bad. Guess it is all dependent on what you are looking for. If you like bottle service and nightlife like youre in Miami, at American prices, surrounded by American in a place outside of America, sure, Tulum is your spot.

Tulum is a place where people want to be seen and say, "I am in Tulum''. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Hook 'Em 1

The time to go to Tulum was 15 years ago. It is douchebag central now with a side of Cartel. Think Miami, think obnoxious lines for people waiting to take instagram pictures everywhere.

This is my impression based on social media. Pretty much the "I'm a world traveler because I've been to Mexico crowd"
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, midtown said:

This is my impression based on social media. Pretty much the "I'm a world traveler because I've been to Mexico crowd"

No, they arent world travelers until they make it to Costa Rica, then once they have a cruise or two and Mexico under there belt then theyre world travelers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, Tex48 said:

Infastructure?

21 hours ago, Tex48 said:

That's what I think I am going to offer as an option instead. 

So she's offering you a free trip to Tulum and you're going to "offer as an option" Cancún due to infrastructure concerns in Tulum.

If she doesn't end y'alls budding relationship on the spot definitely break up with her because there is something seriously wrong with her.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate to break it to you, but everywhere you go has people taking Instagram pics, from Texas to Paris to Machu Piccu. If that bothers you, your options for travel get significantly reduced.

If you’re worried about the image people are projecting on Instagram, and what travel destinations constitute being a “world traveler “, maybe it’s time to unplug from Instagram. I don’t think about that shit at all.

21 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I hate to break it to you, but everywhere you go has people taking Instagram pics, from Texas to Paris to Machu Piccu. If that bothers you, your options for travel get significantly reduced.

If you’re worried about the image people are projecting on Instagram, and what travel destinations constitute being a “world traveler “, maybe it’s time to unplug from Instagram. I don’t think about that shit at all.

I dont think you know what youre talking about. There is a massive difference in Tulum, the crowd it brings, and the energy as compared to, lets say, Patagonia or Antartica, all three of which I have done this year.

I really hope you realize that. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad

3 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I dont think you know what youre talking about. There is a massive difference in Tulum, the crowd it brings, and the energy as compared to, lets say, Patagonia or Antartica, both of which I have done this year.

He just apples to oranges to that argument lol.  Antarctica isn’t full of crowds, who would have thought….  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

@Hook1997 sorry dude. I think you should read more.

I dont think you know what youre talking about. There is a massive difference in Tulum, the crowd it brings, and the energy as compared to, lets say, Patagonia or Antartica, all three of which I have done this year.

Congrats? Those are seriously great places to go but I don’t think anyone started a thread on Tulum to see how it measures up to Patagonia or Antarctica. If that’s your criteria then you could pop into most threads on this board and let them know that [insert name here] is overrated. But that would be a dick thing to do and this isn’t a travel contest.

I also can’t think of a single person who goes to any part of Mexico to classify themselves as a world traveler. It’s Mexico. It has nice beaches, good food, beautiful people, and it’s close to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1