USMNT 2022

Napoleon

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW this foolish comment need to be called out for sheer stupidity. Like honestly, this might be one of the dumbest things said in the last month on the soccer board, maybe longer.

My family down there are big fans & talk about how many are frustrated with the team for mediocrity & not giving the best young players a chance. Which is very different from the blind optimism I’d always heard from them. I’m not in tune with the soccer world really but much of the social media reaction seems to confirm:

(Basically saying Mexico is only advancing because the goalie has covered up the team’s shortcomings for a long time)

• Hook 'Em 1

That's a lot of caring for people that "don’t care much for El Tri anymore."

Make no mistake, they might be unhappy with the product, the results and the coaching. But Mexico cares about that team. That's why they are unhappy with all of that.

This is like saying that Texas fans don't care about the football team because we aren't turning out for teams that are hovering around .500.

25 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Holy shit I don't know how I missed that lol. Very wrong, not being a full crowd definitely helped also unless the broadcast was just not playing much audio from the crowd. It sounded way different this time. 

Men In Blazers mentioned the crowd last night on their post game podcast. They said that traffic was the cause of the lower attendance. /shrug

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

we had a few attacks stalled by lazy passes. that was frustrating as shit to watch.

i think Pulisic has been reading too much of his own hype because he's more intent on dancing with the ball than quickly attacking or passing with intent and finding running lanes for a return pass. if Pulisic isn't going to attack the defense, we need Weston out there to do it. i think this game showed how badly we missed Weston.

the D has some wtf moments which amazingly did not cost us any goals. they just look uncomfortable holding the ball but i guess that's always been the case.

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Berhalter has to get his MLS lifer in. And there is no more of a lifer than Jordan.

I would much rather have a Swiss League legend in the lineup.

But we'll have to make do with Zimmerman and Robinson at center back, a pairing that hasn't lost to Mexico in 7 games, MLS lifers. Yedlin, at right back, is an MLS lifer, except for him being legendary at Newcastle, Sunderland, and Galatasaray, now back in a shitty MLS side. Kellen Acosta was one of the best players on the pitch, MLS lifer. Not to mention, Zack Steffen, Tyler Adams, and Pepe started in MLS. MLS gives a much higher floor for the US than it had 20 years ago.

I predict we start Ferrera, Roldan, and Arriola and fucking slaughter Panama on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Holy fuck, Reyna is going to be around another 15 years doing these things, lol. Referencing the above as well as the ridiculous slaloming run that I have watched about 50 times, and don't forget his elite shit-housing he's prepared to unleash when needed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

we had a few attacks stalled by lazy passes. that was frustrating as shit to watch.

i think Pulisic has been reading too much of his own hype because he's more intent on dancing with the ball than quickly attacking or passing with intent and finding running lanes for a return pass. if Pulisic isn't going to attack the defense, we need Weston out there to do it. i think this game showed how badly we missed Weston.

the D has some wtf moments which amazingly did not cost us any goals. they just look uncomfortable holding the ball but i guess that's always been the case.

Pulisic was fine outside of the miss. If he puts that in the net I guarantee no one says "you know outside of the goal he scored to beat Mexico in Azteca I wasn't impressed". We want him attacking off the dribble and beating guys 1 on 1 when he can - esp. with the midfield we rolled out last night. Sometimes he's going to lose the ball when doing that because he isn't Jesus and unfortunately for him it's an easily identifiable miscue. He isn't a CM that's supposed to orchestrate the offense and we don't want him doing that. If he makes 10 runs, loses the ball 5 times, passes out twice, creates 3 chances and scores a goal then he's done his job. It's our responsibility to play a competent midfield that can let guys like Pulisic, Weah and Aaronson be comfortable in their natural positions. 

It's not like he was surrounded by a bunch of forwards and AMs that were crushing it last night. Everyone made mistakes save Gio and Zimmerman maybe. I don't like nitpicking individual performances after draws in Azteca - but Pulisic is the "star" and the player that casual followers are familiar with so if he isn't awesome then it gets brought up every game like he's our runaway best player and responsible for the success of the entire team (neither of those are true). I thought pretty much everyone played at a similar, passable level and gave a lot of effort and it was good enough to get 1 and not quite good enough for 3. I could sit here and bitch about all kinds of stuff that we did individually (I bitched about plenty of it during the game) but I'm not even going to name names at this point because I'm happy with how these guys played.

(I agree with your points on McKennie and the back 4)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

This is a separate point - but I also don't think the game ends 1-0 if we score on Pulisic's goal. Mexico was perfectly fine with ending that 0-0. If they're a goal down at 30 mins or whatever it was I guarantee they press more and test that back 4 more than they did. Maybe that opens it up and it ends 2-1 and we win anyway but I feel like they get on the score sheet if we light that fire under their asses early - although I'm willing to believe that maybe I'm just conditioned to expect Mexico to knot it in a situation like that. Someone said the Pefok chance was probably more difficult and I think I agree - but fuck it if it wasn't more frustrating in the moment because that would have been closer to a dagger. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a separate point - but I also don't think the game ends 1-0 if we score on Pulisic's goal. Mexico was perfectly fine with ending that 0-0. If they're a goal down at 30 mins or whatever it was I guarantee they press more and test that back 4 more than they did. Maybe that opens it up and it ends 2-1 and we win anyway but I feel like they get on the score sheet if we light that fire under their asses early - although I'm willing to believe that maybe I'm just conditioned to expect Mexico to knot it in a situation like that. Someone said the Pefok chance was probably more difficult and I think I agree - but fuck it if it wasn't more frustrating in the moment because that would have been closer to a dagger. 

I've been thinking about this and I really agree. First off the attempt was in the 35', but that's splitting hairs. But I think Mexico opens up the game then and them being ok with a draw changes. And given how our back line had moments of scaring us, I don't know that they don't get a goal or two if Mexico is "really" attacking for 60'.

Pefok's miss was at 72' and could have put that game away. It was a bummer he missed it so bad.

But I've already said it, 0-0 in a game we looked really comfortable in, I will take in a heartbeat at Azteca.

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

@Helobious Why does Mexico keep Diego Lainez on the bench? Dude looked dangerous as hell in the mements he's played against the US.

I don’t follow it the team that closely, I’m the definition of a casual fan. But I did notice his lack of usage was one of the top complaints on social media last night. He seems like a star in the making. Many used it as another example of playing time being given to vets over younger potentially better players. 

But I do notice many US fans have the same complaints about their team, probably just a soccer/sports thing in general. 

• Hook 'Em 1

reduced crowd was not traffic

la tri fed cut tix by 50% and installed giant video boards and used a pa announcer to try to coerce the fans allowed in to follow his chants painted on the video board

why?

last ditch attempt by la tri fed to prevent sanctions that could result in an expulsion from the world cup over the PUTO! chant

every time the reduced crowd tried it, the pa announcer would squeal over them with some contrived bullshit that was painted on the video boards at the same time

comedy goald

after the brawl 2 weeks ago in the league game fifa showed up last night and were ready to bring down the banhammer

the officiating also reflected the message being sent

this post brought to you by the FUCK JNIP UP THE ASS NO LUBE AT ALL FOUNDATION FOR PAIN DEATH AND SUFFERING FOR JNIP LLC

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that when Alston realized that the ball was going to be a little behind where it needed to be, he thought "I'll pass it back to G...oh... he's offside..." and then he fucking bungled the ball to Shitsville.

1) I have no idea why/how my phone turned “Pefok” into “Alston”.

2) Chile 🇨🇱 missing the last World Cup was nothing out of the ordinary. Chile ha traditionally been a shitty soccer country that had a golden generation and Argentine coaches in the 2010s and won their first (and psuedo-second) Copa America(s).

No one is looking to expand the World Cup so that Chile doesn’t miss the World Cup again. It’s mainly to get more African countries in, because they have been getting fucked for decades. (Centuries really, but I digress.)

3) Gio Reyna

A) You can see the Argentine blood coursing through his veins.

B) Gio will likely only be around 2 more cycles. (8 years) If he’s willing to be bench depth and a spot starter, maybe he’s on the roster in 12 years, but he’s already proven to be fragile. 

National teams are a young man’s game. Tournaments have games every 3 to 5 games and olds can’t take it. Only Keepers & Central Defenders last much past 30 years of age for countries that have any depth. There are always exceptions, but Gio doesn’t appear to be an exception. (Must be strong like bull.)

After 2026, we will be like Brazil with regards to our churn rate. We have a massive population, our soccer intelligence is growing, and our academies will be spitting out starters every year. The USMNT will be for people 18 to 29.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

gio is 50% irish, 25% portuguese and 25% argentine, the latter meaning 25% italian, so he's 100% catholic, which is nice

The last time an Argentine had a weaving run like that in Estadio Azteca was 36 years ago.

• Like 1

reduced crowd was not traffic
la tri fed cut tix by 50% and installed giant video boards and used a pa announcer to try to coerce the fans allowed in to follow his chants painted on the video board
why?
last ditch attempt by la tri fed to prevent sanctions that could result in an expulsion from the world cup over the PUTO! chant
every time the reduced crowd tried it, the pa announcer would squeal over them with some contrived bullshit that was painted on the video boards at the same time
comedy goald
after the brawl 2 weeks ago in the league game fifa showed up last night and were ready to bring down the banhammer
the officiating also reflected the message being sent
this post brought to you by the FUCK JNIP UP THE ASS NO LUBE AT ALL FOUNDATION FOR PAIN DEATH AND SUFFERING FOR JNIP LLC

Traffic was horrendous. Took 2.5 hrs to get to stadium. Usually 30-40 minute drive. Had to upload barcode, iD and a selfie. They tried to match faces to tickets at the gates. Lines were crazy.
I didnt see a ton of video boards blocking seats?? Unless it was tv generated. As a matter of fact we were row 2 along goaline and it was hard seeing time and replays on the 2 stadium video boards I saw behind behind goal. Its an old stadium so not much technology.
We left a bit early to get back to Party and beat traffic. Fans were still pouring in. It was a total shit show. Never heard announcer leading chants??? He would yell “eh mexico” on the goal kicks, cover the puto chant, but no other time I heard. Crowd was loud on our side and packed. Maybe TV turned it down. There were more police than ive ever seen at any sports event. At least a 1/2 mile from the stadium officers were posted up every 100 feet.
But in defense we were wasted so I could be totally full of shit
Was cool to see azteca.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mexico isn't Mexico anymore. They don't have the aura of invincibility anymore. And for as shitty as we say CONCACAF is, the refs are starting to understand what dives look like. 

Jerry World is a better home field for Mexico than Azteca is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Random odd thought.

We're not sold on a coach that is now 3-0-3 against Mexico; with 4 of the games being legitimate "important" games.

The federation really fucked Berhalter at the beginning when they had an interim coach Sarachan for 14 wasted months. Record for Sarachan? 3 wins 4 draws and 5 losses for a winning percentage of 41.67%. Berhalter has a record of 33, 6, and 8; he has an historic winning percentage for the US at 76.6%. The aforementioned unbeaten streak against Mexico is nice as well. I think this team will fucking kill at the world cup.

Random odd thought.

We're not sold on a coach that is now 3-0-3 against Mexico; with 4 of the games being legitimate "important" games.

Who also happens to have the most talented US team maybe ever. And honestly is catching Mexico "down" (I wouldn't say they are bad, just not to the level they have been).

I would push back on this - do you see Berhalter doing anything in terms of real coaching? Does he appear to have a plan that he wants to implement? Does he make this team better as a coach?

Berhalter appears to be like a lot of coaches, given talent looks really smart. But does little to improve his team beyond what they are. I think he occasionally makes decisions that have an impact, but I would call that more of getting shit to stick than amazing coaching. And I certainly don't see any sort of "grand plan."

• Hook 'Em 4

Random odd thought.

I think that’s a good thing. The fan base is starting to be a little bit more knowledgeable on what’s good coaching beyond just results. I will take the wins, but GGG’s teams just don’t seem consistent and can’t really tell if they are improving much. If we want to compete with the really good soccer nations we need to hold everyone coaches and players to a higher standard.  We are hopefully at least heading in that direction. 

On one hand I think Greg has done a pretty good job, on the other hand I look at our roster and see a quarter billion dollars on the pitch with or without a couple of the more expensive pieces and wonder what someone like Pep would do with it. 

Greg is our guy through Qatar. That's established at this point. Let's see what happens and then maybe dust off the drawing board.

Gergg has earned both scorn and accolades for his performance to date.

On one hand, his roster/lineup/formation management has been inscrutable and has absolutely cost the USMNT points during the qualification cycle. His hubris nearly saw us lose at Honduras, and the October loss to Panama was the USMNT's first ever to the Canaleros in WCQ. I don't begrudge the loss at Canada but the draws (and tactics behind them) at home versus the Leaf and on the road at El Salvador are irksome. We also should've lost at Jamaica (and would have if VAR had been in place).

On the other, Gergg has gradually allowed youth to be served and convinced players of all ages, skill levels and incomes to buy in and play for one another. Also, one could not expect any better than what he accomplished last summer or against Mexico.

Gergg needs to realize it's not about him, and that less is more. Don't get cute. Play your best players in their best positions and the results will vindicate you.

Just drive the bus, dude. 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Who also happens to have the most talented US team maybe ever. And honestly is catching Mexico "down" (I wouldn't say they are bad, just not to the level they have been).

I would push back on this - do you see Berhalter doing anything in terms of real coaching? Does he appear to have a plan that he wants to implement? Does he make this team better as a coach?

Berhalter appears to be like a lot of coaches, given talent looks really smart. But does little to improve his team beyond what they are. I think he occasionally makes decisions that have an impact, but I would call that more of getting shit to stick than amazing coaching. And I certainly don't see any sort of "grand plan."

Agree with all of this.

Whelp.  Everyone's questions should be answered today.  Are we in or are we going to CR in danger?  (Get it?  CR?)  Is Berhalter a decent enough coach to handle today?  Am I going to break things?

Woke up pretty nervous.  I've got my own game at 1, then home to pregrame.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I think this team will fucking kill at the world cup.

Results in this hemisphere mean fuckall unless they are in the World Cup or Copa America.   We have some of those.  But only enough to move us up from "countries with zero pedigree" (where we were in 1989) to "countries that show up every other tournament" which is where we were until 2017 when the fed fired Juergen for reasons beyond his control.   Beating Mexico in Orocopa and Nations League finals is great.  But it was on US soil.  Same with Copa100.   Brazil 14 and Uruguay 95 mattered.  Korea 02 mattered.  We were shit in South Africa despite the dramatics to beat a French Colonial B-side.   Our highlights in 2010: Robert Green owngoal, and getting robbed by Coulibaly vs. The Fighting Charlie Browns.   The best we've ever looked in the modern era was that same side a year earlier in the Confederations Cup.

We're still nobody going in to Qatar.   We're also an extremely expensive security risk.  What's different of course is the revolution in both talent and depth over the past 4 years.  Until we show we have the will to persevere and win, we're still nobody.  We were close in '14.  We may break through this time.  But "killing it" means a very very deep run.   In the first World Cup in 1930, we won both of our group games 3-0 then got obliterated by Argentina 6-1.   That was the last time we won 2 games in a row at the World Cup.  92 years ago.   Just a reminder: we have 1 single knockout win in our World Cup history in 2002.

One.

"Breaking through" in my book is winning our first 2 games, winning our group easily, and winning in the round of 16.

We need to win 2 group games in a row and you never want that to be the last 2 games.  Controlling GD requires you win your first game.

"Killing it" would be all of the above, pasting the round of 16 opponent, and then winning a quarterfinal.

This group doesn't know the historical forces holding them down, so anything is possible.

Therefore, prepare for a Group of Death draw to try to kill us off in the group stage.  Every day the US is in country drains $10m from FIFA's profit.

FIFA has tried to GoD us before and we still advance.   So, something really really bad, like Argentina, Netherlands and Egypt.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, Captain Ron said:

he knows how to coach in mls and concacaf

bruce and bob also knew how to do both

bruce got a knockout win