USMNT 2022

Napoleon

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

This is only directed at  @Captain Ron, who said I was a moron and dismissed me for suggesting el tri was losing popularity in mexico. This tweet is from yesterday, 4K likes and over 1k responses answering it. “When did you lose your passion & pride for the mexican national team” 

Sidenote: reading through the comments I had no idea the uniforms were hated that much. 

And you're still a moron. They aren't losing popularity. People are frustrated (hence losing passion and pride). That isn't the same as them not being followed. These are the Cleveland Brown or the Houston Texans. This is their national team. They aren't losing popularity.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

So what pot the US is put into is based on FIFA rankings - not CONCACAF standings. 

We were just behind Mexico in the last ranking. Canada is a ways behind. 

Not sure if we've done enough to jump Mexico or they'll stay ahead. Either way I'm sure we just play CR straight up - although maybe not with our full A team. 

23 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

We are POT2 for sure.

I thought for sure we were locked into Pot 2 as well. But then this was asked:

21 hours ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Italy is ranked 6 in FIFA… which pot are they in?

Which then got me thinking Ok, we need to be top 7 of teams that make it. Italy missed out, so that's Top 8 in the World, what if Portugal missed out?

21 hours ago, shnsajax said:

In their last 31 matches CR has scored 3 goals just once, 2 goals 7 times, and everything else is 1 or 0. It will take an epic shitshow to lose by 6.

Only thing that matters will be our final Fifa ranking.

https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/what-pot-is-usmnt-in-world-cup-draw-2022-explained

This link explained it all, and it's pretty straight forward, the US CAN make pot 1 if:

• US beats Costa Rica
  • Portugal loses to North Macedonia (freeing up a Pot 1 spot)
  • Netherlands draws or loses to Germany (Netherlands would fall below us, Germany can't jump us)
  • Mexico draws or loses to El Salvador (we jump Mexico)

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Portugal loses to North Macedonia (freeing up a Pot 1 spot)

This ain't happening. 

I saw an article from maybe a week ago saying we would have had a shot with Italy going out and winning all 3 games. I don't see North Macedonia somehow beating two huge Euro sides in a row. 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't bet soccer, but a tie in that scenario should be a loser on the spread and a push on the ML. 

I don't think so. There's a ML for a tie. If what you're saying is true then it wouldn't be as close as +119 and +122 (plus - the odds are reversed - the spread should pay out more if it operates the way you're saying). That's almost identical and they're giving a draw as ~30% odds.

Maybe they are set independently and move differently as a result? Like the reason they aren't equal is because there's more money on US -0.5 than US ML?

But then why list two sets of odds at all?

Edited by ztejas

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't bet soccer, but a tie in that scenario should be a loser on the spread and a push on the ML. 

A little surprising we are the slight favorites to win, since, you know, our entire history there and the circumstances. 

Edited by TexasMan

19 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

and the circumstances. 

The circumstances favor us. They have a bunch of guys with yellows that they probably don't want missing a playoff to make the world cup. Say they eschew that and say "fuck it we're scoring 6 and opening this thing up" - well, good luck, we saw what just happened to Panama.

(Unless by "circumstances" you mean we have nothing to play for. Which I might argue makes it that much more dangerous for CR)

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

The circumstances favor us. They have a bunch of guys with yellows that they probably don't want missing a playoff to make the world cup. Say they eschew that and say "fuck it we're scoring 6 and opening this thing up" - well, good luck, we saw what just happened to Panama.
(Unless by "circumstances" you mean we have nothing to play for. Which I might argue makes it that much more dangerous for CR)

Offensively CR really sucks as well and are insanely lucky to have taken 16 points of a possible 18 points to put themselves in this position. They beat Canada 1-0 with 32% of the possession, drew at Azteca 0-0 with 27% of the possession, beat Panama 1-0 with 36% of the possession.

I also just learned that the playoff is a 1 game neutral site now and not a home and home. CR cant fuck around with their yellows at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Offensively CR really sucks as well and are insanely lucky to have taken 16 points of a possible 18 points to put themselves in this position. They beat Canada 1-0 with 32% of the possession, drew at Azteca 0-0 with 27% of the possession, beat Panama 1-0 with 36% of the possession.

I also just learned that the playoff is a 1 game neutral site now and not a home and home. CR cant fuck around with their yellows at all.

Costa Rica has the best keeper in CONCACAF. They also have the best keeper in Oceania.

If Costa Rica has their full squad one one game against New Zealand, you have to like their odds to at least make it to a shootout…

…and then you have to like their odds in a shootout.

image.jpeg.e0db07de727ced9ffbe54fc767b0f8ab.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Costa Rica has the best keeper in CONCACAF. They also have the best keeper in Oceania.

If Costa Rica has their full squad one one game against New Zealand, you have to like their odds to at least make it to a shootout…

…and then you have to like their odds in a shootout.

image.jpeg.e0db07de727ced9ffbe54fc767b0f8ab.jpeg

110%

The counter point to all of that is Italy-North Macedonia. Italy had that game at home and it wasn't close who was the better team, but they still lost.

Do I agree Costa Rica is the better team against New Zealand? But you just never know.

BTW - Solomon Islands-New Zealand kick off at 1:00 PM EST, so it will be known who the Oceana rep will be well before our game.

I would argue this shows exactly what's wrong with the US. We can control possession and then do DICK with the ball. While I still think this is on Berhalter, this is also to do with our personnel. Our lack of a breakdown midfielder shows this problem. I think this is why so many people want to see Gio as an attacking mid to make more happen when we have possession.

Granted, I have little faith that Berhalter could then come up with a system to take advantage of such a mid. But it would be really good to see.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

His Spanish heritage is huge here. Gives him a very high IQ when it comes to understanding shithousery and the best ways to handle it. 

Just want to point out as to people with Spanish heritage, yes they are shitbags and whiners and racists, but some of them are very good people.

37 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Thats a rough Pot 1. After Qatar guessing we would want Portugal then maybe Belgium I am guessing (getting older and wouldn't be surprising to see a dip from them). France will break the streak of defending champs failing to make it out of group play. Canada could get really screwed being in Pot 4. 

48 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Thats a rough Pot 1. After Qatar guessing we would want Portugal then maybe Belgium I am guessing (getting older and wouldn't be surprising to see a dip from them). France will break the streak of defending champs failing to make it out of group play. Canada could get really screwed being in Pot 4. 

I would want Belgium before Portugal. 

No question. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shnsajax said:

IMHO, the bigger thing, unless you draw Qatar, is who you get from pots 3 and 4. Imagine a US group of Brazil, Poland, Ghana

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Conversely, the Pot 1 and Pot 2 teams that end up with Canada as their Pot 4 are getting screwed. The Leaf is gonna be a tough out for anyone.

Unless Canada is with Qatar, whatever group they're in is going to be brutal. Every single game will be competitive. Probably will be the best neutral fan group to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Costa Rica has taken 16 points from their last 6 matches since they have dumped most of their older players and gone young. Their only draw was against Mexico in the Azteca. 

Remember how slow Bryan Ruiz was on his breakaway against us? Well dump him for some younger fighters and then thrown Keylor Navas between the pipes. 

Costa Rica is the Latin Canada. 

QUESTION: Will all CONCACAF teams be in separate groups due to rules/ procedures?

Edited by Napoleon

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

QUESTION: Will all CONCACAF teams be in separate groups due to rules/ procedures?

Yes.

Teams from the same confederation will be kept apart in each of the eight groups with the exception of UEFA, which is represented by 13 teams.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/procedures-for-the-final-draw-for-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-released

• Hook 'Em 2

Shocking. You shouldn't play old stalwarts past their prime and should give the ball to the younger kids. Only every team of all time has figured this out.

BTW - Here are the Costa Rica clinching scenarios for today.

Costa Rica must beat the US by 6 goals OR

Costa Rica must beat the US, Mexico must lose and the combined margin of victory must be 5 (or 4 in certain situations)

38 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Shocking. You shouldn't play old stalwarts past their prime and should give the ball to the younger kids. Only every team of all time has figured this out.

BTW - Here are the Costa Rica clinching scenarios for today.

Costa Rica must beat the US by 6 goals OR

Costa Rica must beat the US, Mexico must lose and the combined margin of victory must be 5 (or 4 in certain situations)

1) Tournaments are for kids, but there are always exceptions…

A) Italy’s Central Defenders were ancient last year and they won the EUROS.

B) The 30+ year-old Ruskies we’re running like they had jet packs (or blood type EPO+) in 2018.

C) Messi & Di María are 34 and are looking great for the national team, even if they look like crap for PSG. (Messi will be 35 in QATAR.)

Oh how I wish that Di María wasn’t injured for the 2014 Final!! 🤬🤬

D) Zizu in 2006.

2) But in general, you should always err on the side of youth, especially with the quick turnaround of matches.

3) The quick turnaround will be to the USMNT’s advantage, because our entire Top 23 could start for us, but the same cannot be said for most countries.

Edited by Napoleon

1 minute ago, Ted Lange said:

Costa Rica has scored more than 1 goal in 3 of their 13 WCQ matches, vs El Salvador twice and Honduras, both bottom feeders.   They have yet to score more than 2.  The last time they did, they scored 3 vs Guadeloupe, 20 matches ago.  

So you're saying there's a chance...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Costa Rica’s recent amazing run of 6 unbeaten, they are averaging less than 4 shots on goal a game,  23 Shot on target in 6 games.  The only game they had 6 on target was a 2-1 home win vs Honduras.   Against a 10 man Canada team (for 60 minutes) they ceded 68% possession and had 4 shots on target.  

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Come on Group A of Qatar, USA, Tunisia, New Zealand.

I don’t think that New Zealand is possible, because I think that the drawing is April 1st.

Since New Zealand won’t have any conflicts, but the CONCACAF team (probably Costa Rica) will, they will slot the winner of the CONCACAF v Oceania winner into a slot in a group without a CONCACAF team. 

#sad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don’t think that New Zealand is possible, because I think that the drawing is April 1st.

Since New Zealand won’t have any conflicts, but the CONCACAF team (probably Costa Rica) will, they will slot the winner of the CONCACAF v Oceania winner into a slot in a group without a CONCACAF team. 

#sad

Why are they in a rush to draw anyways? It's not like this is a summer WC. They can wait until Ukraine's chances are sorted out and still give way more time than normal between the draw and day 1 of the WC.

Fucking Qatar....

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

#sad

Oh shit, this week!?!?!? Well that's just crazy.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:11 PM, Helobious said:

Sidenote: reading through the comments I had no idea the uniforms were hated that much. 

For years now I've thought that it's weird that a team so widely known as el tri almost never wears el tri.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1