USMNT 2022

Napoleon

33C9B045-ED77-430B-A769-EC80E5EE1CF9.thumb.jpeg.8fce7df0a2f28a86e8c6c0c6b902202d.jpeg

i originally read that as:

”The Landon Alegria

…and thought that that was a Spanglish nickname for the euphoria after Landon scored off of Dempsey’s stuffed shot.

I wasn’t in the USA for that World Cup (or the next one), so I didn’t know if this was a name that had been used for years. Apparently it was temporary dyslexia.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:34 PM, Napoleon said:

33C9B045-ED77-430B-A769-EC80E5EE1CF9.thumb.jpeg.8fce7df0a2f28a86e8c6c0c6b902202d.jpeg

i originally read that as:

”The Landon Alegria

…and thought that that was a Spanglish nickname for the euphoria after Landon scored off of Dempsey’s stuffed shot.

I wasn’t in the USA for that World Cup (or the next one), so I didn’t know if this was a name that had been used for years. Apparently it was temporary dyslexia.

It's actually called the Algeria alegria. 

• Hook 'Em 1

M Tiillman
J Ferreira 
H Wright
R Pepi
J Pefok
D Dike
G Zardes
T Weah (?)
I don’t believe that Josh Sargent will be on the plane to Qatar.

I mean seriously, one of these guys has to turn out ok right? Assuming they all don’t get injured.

Glad to see Scally called up. What's the 411 on Tillman and Wright? Both are unknowns to me.

Also happy to see LDLT in the mix. Maybe he's not as good as I think he is, but I keep thinking he'll prove me right.

On that note, is Matthew Hoppe dead? Seriously, hope the kid is alright. He showed so much promise last summer.

Glad to see Scally called up. What's the 411 on Tillman and Wright? Both are unknowns to me.
Also happy to see LDLT in the mix. Maybe he's not as good as I think he is, but I keep thinking he'll prove me right.
On that note, is Matthew Hoppe dead? Seriously, hope the kid is alright. He showed so much promise last summer.

Haji Wright was a good prospect 5 years ago with Schalke, still just turned 24. Healthy again and playing, and scoring. Similar build to Pefok, makes good runs.

I don’t know where Tillman fits? He could be an attacking mid, but Gio is better. German publications compared him to Pogba, but don’t think that’s fair either.

Hoppe just barely finished with more first team minutes than me. Pretty close to dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Haji Wright was a good prospect 5 years ago with Schalke, still just turned 24. Healthy again and playing, and scoring. Similar build to Pefok, makes good runs.

I don’t know where Tillman fits? He could be an attacking mid, but Gio is better. German publications compared him to Pogba, but don’t think that’s fair either.

Hoppe just barely finished with more first team minutes than me. Pretty close to dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interwebz speculating that Tillman could be tried at striker. He has experience playing there and in limited video footage, he looks like a solid finisher. But you're correct, he appears to be a better creator albeit further up the pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Interwebz speculating that Tillman could be tried at striker. He has experience playing there and in limited video footage, he looks like a solid finisher. But you're correct, he appears to be a better creator albeit further up the pitch.

Sounds like “a poor (German) man’s” Jesús Ferreira.

I don’t understand why Malik Tillman is on the squad. He seems more like a guy that Bayern hopes will replace Thomas Müller in the future. Maybe Der Mannschaft was hoping for the same. 🤷‍♂️ His inclusion seems like a one-time switch with an eye toward 2026.

[SNIP]

Okay, scratch that. Just watched that highlight reel. Hole E. Shit!

Totally see the Pogba comparison. He is so fucking smooth it’s a joke. He must be getting a boatload of NIKE money, because I have no idea why he would leave the German national team pipeline to switch to the USA. Maybe we’ve promised to take a hard look at his brother for 2026… no idea. He looks more well-rounded than Gio. More speed, quicker change of direction… maybe more power.

A young Pogba/Müller style of player. Basically if Pogba had come up through the Bayern system. Holy crap!

No hyperbole: I can’t imagine Malik NOT going to Qatar. I know highlight reels only show the good stuff, but only Gio and sometimes Weston are even capable of most of the things displayed in that reel. 

Malik’s inclusion pushes LDLT to the edge of the bench, fighting it out with a suddenly on fire 🔥 Cristian Roldan. (Not kidding, he’s been very good the last month.) Musah would also likely head to the bench if we continue in a 4-3-3.

We won’t know about Gio until September or later, but I see Weston / Malik as dual #8s, with Weston cheating a little farther up on the left and Malik pulling string from a little deeper on the right and Tyler Adam’s backing them up. Musah getting minutes off the bench as an #8 and Acosta maybe getting minutes if we go to  dual #6s to see out a game or if Tyler is having an issue with yellow cards.

Aaronson will not be tucking inside as an 8, like he has with RB Salzburg, as long as Malik is healthy. 

Malik’s inclusion is a massive win for Gregg. His sales pitches to Pepi, Dest, Musah, and now Malik Tillman have completely flipped our squad around. 

Bad News Alert: If Gregg makes it out of the group, he is likely getting 4 more years as the USMNT manager. This is his team. 

Just read this from the translation of Malik's GERMAN Wikipedia page. (It is much more fleshed out than his English page.)

. . . "Due to the nationality of his parents, Malik Tillman is eligible to play for the national teams of both countries at youth level. Shortly after his 14th birthday, he played his first international matches for the U15 national team of the USA in June 2016 in two games as part of a tournament in the Croatian capital Zagreb . In the very first minute of his first game, he did the groundwork for Giovanni Reyna , who would later play Dortmund , to score a 1-0 winner against the Under-16s of Montenegro ." . . .

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Tillman

Also, according to the German page, he tore a "cruciate ligament" during the 2020-21 season. They didn't specify ACL or MCL. (Pretty lazy for Germans.)

I recommend reading the translation of the German page for anyone who gives a shit.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Just read this from the translation of Malik's GERMAN Wikipedia page. (It is much more fleshed out than his English page.)

. . . "Due to the nationality of his parents, Malik Tillman is eligible to play for the national teams of both countries at youth level. Shortly after his 14th birthday, he played his first international matches for the U15 national team of the USA in June 2016 in two games as part of a tournament in the Croatian capital Zagreb . In the very first minute of his first game, he did the groundwork for Giovanni Reyna , who would later play Dortmund , to score a 1-0 winner against the Under-16s of Montenegro ." . . .

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Tillman

Also, according to the German page, he tore a "cruciate ligament" during the 2020-21 season. They didn't specify ACL or MCL. (Pretty lazy for Germans.)

I recommend reading the translation of the German page for anyone who gives a shit.

Assuming that means he assisted Gio for a game winner? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The USMNT has more in-form strikers than we know what to do with. 

Now if we can just get Zack Steffen out from between the pipes. 

🙏

The problem isn’t us, it’s Gergg, he doesn’t know what to do with anyone. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2

Canadians are trying to steal a 17 year-old kid that I didn't know existed. Rather than allowing the kid to slowly make his way through the USMNT youth system, he's now being wooed with possible national team attention.  (And a virtually guaranteed spot for the 2026 World Cup.) Looks to be a diminutive winger.

Luca Koleosho hasn't closed the door on USMNT despite Canada call-up - source

r1017641_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquali

Espanyol forward Luca Koleosho has accepted a call-up from Canada but has not closed the door on representing the United States men's national team, a source familiar with the situation has told ESPN.

Koleosho, 17, became the youngest American-born player to debut in LaLiga last Sunday when he came on as a substitute in Espanyol's season-ending goalless draw at Granada.

Canada named him in their 25-man squad on Wednesday for June's now-cancelled friendly against Iran and Nations League matches against Curacao and Honduras.

However, the call-up does not mean Koleosho has definitively committed his international future to Canada, with a source telling ESPN a decision is likely to be delayed until after June's camp.

Koleosho was born in Connecticut to a Nigerian father and an Italian-Canadian mother, so he has a myriad of options when it comes to selecting a national team to play for.

He has been involved with U.S. youth teams in the past and has also previously been called up for a training camp with Canada's under-20s. This week's selection is his first senior call-up for any country.

Players can switch if they have played no more than three competitive matches at senior level prior to them turning 21 but they have to wait two years until after the last appearance.

If a player appears in a World Cup match or a continental finals such as the European Championship, they become ineligible to change their national side.

Both Canada and the United States have qualified for the World Cup later this year, which begins in Qatar in November.

Koleosho, who spent four years playing for Manhattan Kickers, has been in Spain since 2016. He spent four years with Reus before joining Barcelona-based Espanyol in 2020.

This past season has primarily been spent with Espanyol's U19 team, whom he helped reach the Copa del Rey Juvenil final where they lost to Real Madrid, but he has also appeared for the B team in the Spanish fourth division.

He was also part of the first team for the final game of the season, coming on for the final few minutes of the draw at Granada as a sign of how highly rated he is within the Catalan club.

The tug-of-war for Koleosho is the latest the USMNT have found themselves in recently having previously won the battles for Sergino Dest, Ricardo Pepi and Malik Tillman with the Netherlands, Mexico and Germany respectively.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4675546/luca-koleosho-hasnt-closed-the-door-on-usmnt-despite-canada-call-up-source

Canadians are trying to steal a 17 year-old kid that I didn't know existed. Rather than allowing the kid to slowly make his way through the USMNT youth system, he's now being wooed with possible national team attention.  (And a virtually guaranteed spot for the 2026 World Cup.) Looks to be a diminutive winger.

Luca Koleosho hasn't closed the door on USMNT despite Canada call-up - source

r1017641_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40&format=jpg

Espanyol forward Luca Koleosho has accepted a call-up from Canada but has not closed the door on representing the United States men's national team, a source familiar with the situation has told ESPN.

Koleosho, 17, became the youngest American-born player to debut in LaLiga last Sunday when he came on as a substitute in Espanyol's season-ending goalless draw at Granada.

Canada named him in their 25-man squad on Wednesday for June's now-cancelled friendly against Iran and Nations League matches against Curacao and Honduras.

However, the call-up does not mean Koleosho has definitively committed his international future to Canada, with a source telling ESPN a decision is likely to be delayed until after June's camp.

Koleosho was born in Connecticut to a Nigerian father and an Italian-Canadian mother, so he has a myriad of options when it comes to selecting a national team to play for.

He has been involved with U.S. youth teams in the past and has also previously been called up for a training camp with Canada's under-20s. This week's selection is his first senior call-up for any country.

Players can switch if they have played no more than three competitive matches at senior level prior to them turning 21 but they have to wait two years until after the last appearance.

If a player appears in a World Cup match or a continental finals such as the European Championship, they become ineligible to change their national side.

Both Canada and the United States have qualified for the World Cup later this year, which begins in Qatar in November.

Koleosho, who spent four years playing for Manhattan Kickers, has been in Spain since 2016. He spent four years with Reus before joining Barcelona-based Espanyol in 2020.

This past season has primarily been spent with Espanyol's U19 team, whom he helped reach the Copa del Rey Juvenil final where they lost to Real Madrid, but he has also appeared for the B team in the Spanish fourth division.

He was also part of the first team for the final game of the season, coming on for the final few minutes of the draw at Granada as a sign of how highly rated he is within the Catalan club.

The tug-of-war for Koleosho is the latest the USMNT have found themselves in recently having previously won the battles for Sergino DestRicardo Pepi and Malik Tillman with the NetherlandsMexico and Germany respectively.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4675546/luca-koleosho-hasnt-closed-the-door-on-usmnt-despite-canada-call-up-source

Can we do a sign and trade for Jonathan David?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

At this point Nipple is going to Qatar.

Cross-posting because when you crush a lefty & a righty for your 5th & 6th goals in the last 5 games, you deserve to have your manly stance posted in two different threads.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rudiger said:

That’s a pretty weak goal. How does the keeper let that past him? Oh, right, MLS. 

I feel fairly certain the if the FC Dallas runner isn’t flashing past the keeper toward the near post, then that keeper gets down sooner and makes that save. 

I would say that a great run had more to do with that goal than shitty goalkeeping. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Damn. One of the guys I was most interested in seeing.

1) This is a bummer for the American of Balkan origins as well as for the USMNT in general.

2) Malik Tillman is going to get a good look and may earn a spot on the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1) This is a bummer for the American of Balkan origins as well as for the USMNT in general.

2) Malik Tillman is going to get a good look and may earn a spot on the team. 

Good point on Tillman, still forgetting about him. 

Whoever this guy is chopping videos, he's doing a really good job.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SFMEDITS/videos

Here's a link to an individual video of one of our players' highlights from out last season. He's worth following as he continues to pump out highlight reels.

I think that I originally found out about this person's channel from a Malik Tillman highlight reel posted on this thread.

• Like 1